Paste: 67 of the Best Stouts (Under 8% ABV), Blind-Tasted and Ranked

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cid71, Nov 13, 2017.

1. cid71

cid71 Initiate (137) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey

2. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (248) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Honestly this list is kind of a bummer. Stouts are a dead scene.
    Sabtos and Coltron23 like this.
  3. cdilisio

cdilisio Initiate (44) Apr 18, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

paste loves maine beer co
    HorseheadsHophead and Sheppard like this.
  4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (813) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I don't care for flavored Stouts above or below 8% ABV expect for BBA ones. I guess Sierra Nevada did not send a beer in for this tasting. Their Stout is better than most of the beers listed here.
  5. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (268) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

The style doesn't seem as well represented in this list as are some of the other Paste lists.
  6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,280) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Deschutes Obsidian, too. But the Pike XXXXX is also up there with me, so good for them - I guess my preference would depend on how many pints (or pitchers :wink:) I intended to have on a particular day.
    thebeers and dennis3951 like this.
  7. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (786) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Loved goose island stockyard. Haven’t had it in years. Sam Smith oatmeal stout was one of the first ‘good’ beers I ever drank, so it will always have a special place in my heart.

Big fan of Irish stouts too. Old 38, Dragoon’s, and Leann Follain are probably my favorites. All excellent beers.

This brings me back to a simpler time, when people didn’t have to put a bunch of bullshit in their beer to impress people. :confused:
    Brolo75 and FBarber like this.
  8. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,206) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I had 2 of the beers, honestly I just cannot buy into their lists anymore, it is not a real representation since they only rate beers sent not actual top beers.
    Brolo75 and dennis3951 like this.
  9. zid

zid Savant (908) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Rating "top beers" just creates an echo chamber. That's not necessarily more "real."

DISKORD Initiate (155) Feb 28, 2017 Antarctica

Not sure what scene you're following.
  11. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (340) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I was all set to grumble about Ipswich Oatmeal Stout finishing with the also-rans, but then I saw that the coffee variant finished well. I guess that'll do. You're safe this time Paste!

I think they do a great job with these simply because they are so transparent about how they conduct them.
  12. AZBeerDude72

I know, I guess I would like them to get a spread from across the country. Does not need to be the top guys just a good sample from across the country to give people a better view. A lot of times their reviews are from a very limited area and does not reflect the country. Maybe they can adjust their review and request beer from a wider area this way the list is more accurate, just ideas I know nothing is perfect.
    zid likes this.
  13. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (195) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I'd much rather read about non adjunct laden stouts than this list of coffee heavy stouts.

It seems that the people at Paste might need to reset their palates after putting out so many DIPA lists.
    Brolo75, sharpski and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  14. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,281) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

It's not really a best of list, I don't think you can trust any of them to be accurate unless they're in a site like this with enough reviewers from enough places to review them all. Even then there are lots of great beers that are in too small of batches that don't get enough reviews. I like there lists because I can trust the top few will be good and sometimes I ask for them as extras in trades.
  15. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,444) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

This reminds me that Sierra Nevada Stout is disturbingly absent from shelves around me.
  16. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (195) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Tell me about it. Recently found a ton on the shelf at a place I know keeps a lot of old beer - I was excited to buy a bunch until I saw the dates - January 2016! About a month ago you could still find 2016 Celebration 12 packs, just before the 2017 release.
    I've been in touch with my local SN rep around here but nothing has improved.
  17. dennis3951

Beer Trader

I haven't noticed that but most stores I go never had it in the first place.
  18. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,444) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

That's more along the lines of what I meant.

I had to cross over into Maine to get a six pack and that store is now closed down so now I have no idea.
  19. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,558) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

I want that FW Mocha Merlin. I see it is available in Austin area, hopefully working it's way east
    HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  20. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (3,909) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I actually think he's pretty on point. Paste also laid this out in the article.

Regular Stout is being pushed aside in favor of the extremes, so it stands to reason, when the article is about sub-8% Stouts that aren't aged, the list will be relatively sparse today.

We can't take a step without tripping over a 12%+ barrel aged pastry Stout today. And even most regular Stouts that are stellar and unadulterated are over 8%, so Paste severely limited their options for this lineup, but it did allow for a unique group of beers to rise as a result.
    meefmoff, AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  21. AZBeerDude72

22. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aspirant (257) Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I am honestly perplexed at how they can judge a chocolate orange stout against coffee stouts and non-adjunct stouts and come to any meaningful conclusion. Are there not enough pure coffee stouts (for example) for them to rate, or do they just want the largest number of beers in a list to help with clicks?
  23. jcos

jcos Aspirant (247) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

Ironic how "session" IPAs were hot for awhile, yet people think stouts under 8% - making them a bit more accessible than their larger abv imperial versions- are now "not cool".

Personally, I prefer sub 8% stouts. Bell's Java has been a favorite, their replacement this year is good too.
  24. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (548) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

After reading this I went out and picked up some of the Two Roads Expresso and was very impressed. The description was dead on. Excellent beer
    Leftofthedial, Samlover55 and jcos like this.

DISKORD Initiate (155) Feb 28, 2017 Antarctica

26. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (296) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

They send requests out to (IIRC) ~3,000 breweries, including all the heavy hitters you'd expect, so if the brewery chooses not to participate it's on them. Maybe they're afraid their hype-driven beer won't stand up in a blind tasting...
  27. AZBeerDude72

I cannot say why some participate or not, probably a lot has to do with they are just not interested, maybe they have done lists numerous times and are tired of it. I think a lot of newer or not so known places participate more because they want the advertising. Anyway, beer is only as good as the enjoyment you get from it, ratings don't equal good taste.
    VABA and jcos like this.
  28. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (283) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Doing the Lords work. I still don't know how the "expresso" typo exists.
  29. oldbean

Yes, really. Look at how much American brewers have done to develop, improve, and diversify styles like IPA and Saison. But stouts? They've largely just punted and resorted to throwing coffee and marshmallows at the style. Hardly anyone even makes a non-adjuct stout these days, and it's a goddamned shame. Roasted barley, on it's own, can do amazing things in a beer, and without cranking the ABV up to double digits. But American brewers either don't know how to make that happen or just don't care.
    HorseheadsHophead and Sabtos like this.
  30. oldbean

The one where Paste couldn't do a ranking of non-flavored stouts because not enough exist.
    Samlover55, meefmoff, DISKORD and 2 others like this.
  31. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (3,913) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

There was a bunch in singles at Premium Draught on Saturday if you ever make your way into the Heights (I seem to remember reading you are in the burbs in other threads :slight_smile:)
    HorseheadsHophead and donspublic like this.
  32. rather

rather Aspirant (261) May 31, 2013 California

Barley forge the Patsy a coconut rye stout isn't in there and IMO would probably be top 5
    Brolo75, IceAce and SoCal_Matt like this.
  33. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (161) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Uh, they do. Literally in any of their lists they get beers submitted from every state and corner of this country.

It's flabbergasting to me that people still come in here and complain about these lists. A purely blind taste test by a large group of experienced beer drinkers is the most pure, honest type of test there is. The notion that a bunch of BAs just listing whatever stouts are hot on the trading forums is a 'better' way to do this is hilarious.

Also, it's '67 OF the best stouts', they don't ever purport to be some definitive, be-all-end-all ranking and still people make that complaint in every one of these threads. Basic reading comprehension will take you to magical places.
  34. dennis3951

Beer Trader

Or maybe the request is never seen by someone who could send them the beer.
  35. MNAle

MNAle Champion (892) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

You mean hype can't be detected in a blind tasting by qualified judges? :astonished:
  36. MNAle

MNAle Champion (892) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Perhaps, but I would think by now Paste would have established contact points within most brewers organizations.
  37. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (370) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I was pretty impressed by this beer as well.
  38. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,330) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Pre read i hope i see the commodore on here....
  39. Urk1127

Beer Trader

Post read.

Im happy to see Two Roads so highly ranked. Espressway is fantastic.

Also enjoy seeing love for Left Hand Milk. The nitro version is one of my favorite stout when i can find it. I should drink more of both these beers.
    HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  40. Urk1127

Beer Trader

For this reason, i pick up new stouts whenever i find them.
    jcos likes this.