Pastry Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Troy-Hawaii, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Troy-Hawaii

Troy-Hawaii Meyvn (1,001) Jun 15, 2015 Hawaii

Saw this article in the NY Times about pastry beers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/dining/drinks/sweet-beer-pastry.html

It talks about the growth in dessert beers and how brewers are making them to attract the non-hardcore beer drinkers. The sweeter the beers are the better they sell, at least that is what they say. Brewers mimic things like Hostess fruit pies, coffee cake, blueberry muffins, key lime pie, etc.

At what point do you think that a beer detracts so much from the core beer flavors that it no longer resembles a beer and is that a good thing or a turnoff? For me when beers taste more like a soda it really does not appeal to me as when I want a beer I am expecting a certain characteristic that makes beer what it is for a particular style. Any other flavors should just enhance and not dominate the core beer flavors, but that is just my preference so wanted to hear other views on it.

ChicagoJ, Bigrock and Apathetiq like this.
  2. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,472) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Many are already sweeter than I care for personally, but I feel there's a sizable difference between a blueberry muffin and one of those Hostess fruit pies. I gag at the mere thought of the later, let alone a beer attempting to replicate it. TETO

ChicagoJ, eagles22, KRug and 4 others like this.
  3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,851) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

Lol. I just ate a blueberry pie tastycake last night. I would not drink a beer that tastes like pure blue flavored syrup

4. AWA

AWA Disciple (320) Jul 22, 2014 California

Do they still make those Hostess pies? I don't think I've seen 1 in over 30 years.

jakecattleco and nc41 like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,689) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Ugh, never liked them, went right for the Tastycakes.

AWA likes this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,148) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Whoa, whoa... a Tastykake pie is so many levels above those sickeningly sweet Hostess thing, covered in some kind of sugar glaze. (Although, Tastykakes aren't as good as they once were - the crusts suffer from that gumminess lots of other brands of pies did - I think because they're packed in aluminum trays nowadays, instead of the old tissue-paper "hammocks". They also seem sweeter than they used to but that's true of a lot of stuff, so it could be me.)

PapaGoose03, Urk1127 and nc41 like this.
  7. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Zealot (569) May 5, 2015 Illinois

You can find IPA's filled with crap also. I had a 2x IPA the other day with lemon, vanilla and milk sugar. It SUCKED.
    The Germans have some law called Rheisheigeblotanspher () or some such thing, some sort of purity law, maybe some of these brewers should follow it. I expect to see a BA stout with cat crap and goose droppings.

eppCOS, ChicagoJ, SFACRKnight and 2 others like this.
  8. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,689) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Ahhh. No. Jelly Crimpets or the ever popular butterscotch. Peanut butter kandy cakes or the marshmallow. Ah, a coconut junior. None I want much in a beer except the coconut.

9. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,472) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Haven't seen them in a convenience store in awhile, but looks like you can get them from Amazon.

10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,851) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I like to put them in the toaster oven. And you are correct. I like them way more than those sugar glaze empanada shaped pies.

Coreyfoster412 likes this.
  11. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (648) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Is a sheep shit smoked IPA close enough for you?

meefmoff, SFACRKnight and Bigrock like this.
  12. MaltyFlannel

MaltyFlannel Initiate (14) Oct 30, 2020 Iowa

many local breweries here are constantly releasing "overfruited smoothie-esque sours" that draw lines for releases and instantly sell out for $20 per crowler. They resemble nothing of actual beer. The sour base is completely overran. To me whats the point? I can put fruit, sugar, ice, and vodka in a blender and come away with essentially the same thing.

Ranbot, jasonmason, BruChef and 3 others like this.
  13. Denimjunkie82

Denimjunkie82 Initiate (41) Mar 9, 2016 California

I love pastries as long as they're not overdoing the mashmallows and lactose sugar and cinnamon. Should be hints to enhance the beer, not turn into a syrupy mess.

Insomniac, JrGtr and KRug like this.
  14. defunksta

defunksta Savant (971) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

I think most beers drop off past 8% ABV and become too sweet and malty for the style. A few darker styles such as Stouts can triumph past 8%, but they are up to the whim of brewer. I've had good and malty beers well-past the 8% range, but then the malt and sweetness can detract from the quality of the brewing process. I like to grade beers between 4-8% ABV. That is the sweet spot for me. For that reason, I do not regularly drink pastry beers.

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,812) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Just chatting with @zid about calvados jw Lee's in another thread. The flavors of the beer and spirits reminded me of a caramel apple and I loved it. If I had a barleywine that tasted exactly like a caramel apple due to Mass amounts of natural and artificial flavorings I would be upset. Why? Anyone can throw a kitchen sink into a fermenter. There is an art to coaxing nuance from beer ingredients.

16. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Defender (632) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

In 2021, I am glad if they can sell anything to keep the doors open. I don’t buy such smoothie beers, but I know friends who look at me like I’m crazy at the hoppy beers I enjoy. As always, your mileage may vary.

17. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Is it really a surprise that beers that taste like more familiar flavors are more approachable to people? A stout that tastes like a peanut butter cup is less challenging than the hops and roast a beer like yeti brings. A kettle sour loaded with gobs of fruit and lactose that draws its influence from jamba juice is not as galvanizing as a still lambic. An ipa that shares more in common with sunny delight and less with the abrasive beers from the ibu wars is surely going to placate to the masses. Starbucks has really embraced this mantra with their milkshakes and flavored hot cocoa. The only thing they make that tastes like coffee anymore is, well, their coffee. This is what sells, get used to it.

18. Providence

Providence Crusader (715) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

As far as I’m concerned, pastry beers should be classified as a different beverage than beer. They all suck and I’m embarrassed when I see them on tap handles and in coolers next to real beers. And please spare me that “it’s made with yeast, malt, hops, and water so it’s beer bro!” Or the “some of those pilsners you love have adjuncts too bro” or the “but you said in another thread that you like coffee added bro” I know, I get it. Pastry beers are beer. I just wish they weren’t because they fucking suck.

readyski, Apathetiq and jonphisher like this.
  19. MaltyFlannel

Same. I don't mind any brewery having a reliable cash cow that keeps them operating and allows them the ability to make beers more niche and less mainstream. Why the brewery makes them is obvious (they sell). Why people like them is more what I question. But like you said. Most people look at my like I'm crazy for spending big money on a whisky that tastes like tar and jet fuel.

20. MaltyFlannel

This draws me into a long tangent that is probably outside the scope of this thread. It has to do with how coddled and sweet-addicted the modern western palate is. Most westerners have no idea any more how to have their palate challenged by a range of natural flavors and sensations. They're pre-conditioned from the time they're toddlers with sweet sugary cereals and juices, and processed and fried foods. By the time they're adults they have fully associated sweet and simple with good and complex and challenging with too-hard-for-me

21. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,173) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

If high ABV Pastry stouts are desert drinks, then maybe they should be sold in tiny vessels (5oz or less) so it doesn’t make people think they should pour a full 16oz serving into a pint glass like a beer and drink it all. Just an idea....they can Jack up the price per oz as well if they want.

BillAfromSoCal and BruChef like this.
  22. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Changing the flavors one enjoys from old favorites to new and challenging ones is difficult from either perspective. Westerners seem to be more entrenched in what’s comfortable than other countries and less willing to experiment. Look how many people are pissed about their old favorites being challenged by the pastry craze right here in this thread. I am in the process of changing my diet for health reasons and it sucks. Salad does not equate to sauerkraut. Fruit does not equate to cookies. Beans don’t taste like pork chops.

pastry stouts are not my desert beer. I prefer a low ABV to prevent dehydration.:sunglasses:

23. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,712) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This is the part of the whole pastry stout phenomenon that I don't see being sustainable. I have very little to no experience with true full on pastry stouts, but I've sampled a couple of these modern, super thick, barrel aged stouts and getting through more than 5 or 6 oz was tough. My most enjoyable experience was sharing a bottle of a modern times beer with about 9 people after Christmas dinner. The 2-4 oz we all got was a pleasant thing to sip while we all chatted by the fire. But the review at that link is from when I solo domed a bomber of it. I tried to rate to style but fell well short of the average

24. Insomniac

Insomniac Aspirant (280) Nov 5, 2019 Canada (ON)

I find there is a very thin balance point with these beers before they topple over into the too sweet to finish territory. I’ve been drinking Prodromus and Agamemnon from Omnipollo quite regularly and for my tastes they are right on that edge but don’t slip over it.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  25. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Initiate (186) Aug 24, 2020 California

I totally agree. I have been know to split a 12oz bottle 3 ways to pair it with a proper desert. The same people that habitually suck down a 16 oz can of that sweet stuff probably think bourbons are meant for shooting instead of sipping. Just IMO.

26. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Initiate (186) Aug 24, 2020 California

Sorry ; type-os from typing on a tiny phone screen. Meant to say "I have been known to split a 12 oz bottle 3 ways to pair it with a proper dessert" (not desert). Discovered my mistake only after it was too late to edit the post.

bubseymour likes this.
  27. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (848) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yup, there is a brewery near here called Imprint. Look at their site. I can’t call what they sell beer but they do.

I had a small pour of a Founders French toast bastard in late 2019. It smelled great, first few sips were nice. Finishing an 8oz pour was a chore. I did not feel like I had a beer but a breakfast cocktail.

I like my beer to be a beer that I can recognize as a beer. Hops malt carbonation and that “beer” taste. Sure there are other beers as well but when it becomes more of an alcohol drink I’m pretty much out. Rather grab a Hamms than some pure fruit smoothie made with malt.

Just remembered I get to change my avatar today. So Excited, for the moment that made it possible.

Enjoy

Ranbot likes this.
  28. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (848) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yes.....I love an IPA that has grapefruit taste to it...I don’t like it when you add grapefruit to the beer......

Enjoy

BillAfromSoCal and SFACRKnight like this.
  29. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (648) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

30. MaltyFlannel

Ranbot likes this.