Patagonia Provisions and Dogfish Head Introduce Kernza® Pils

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, Mar 14, 2022.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,402) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

[​IMG]
    https://www.dogfish.com/blog/patagonia-provisions-and-dogfish-head-introduce-kernza®-pils

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,426) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Patagonia Provisions also has beer brewed with Kernza by Hopworks in Portland OR. (I guess BBC's DFH has wider distribution).
    [​IMG]

And whatever happened to that trademark dispute over the Patagonia beer imported by AB-InBev. Still listed on AB's website, tho' the bottle's got a new label - dated 2021 - and it's being brewed domestically at AB's northern CA brewery...
    [​IMG]

#2 jesskidden, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Roguer, mikeinportc, Squire and 9 others like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,430) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, this new beer from Dogfish Head does read to be 'off-centered'. If I see it on tap I will request a sample pour to taste.

I hope this beer turns out better than Blue Hen Pilsner which I discussed in a past NBW thread:

"This beer is a mixed bag. I enjoyed the aroma aspects of this beer but the almost insipid level of flavor was disappointing for me."

It did look nice though:

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-weekend-81.664977/#post-7452253

Cheers!

4. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (430) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

I couldn't find distro info but will gladly buy a 6 of this if I see it to see what nuances the Kernza and Contessa have to offer. And for the "cause", of course.

Squire, Bitterbill and jonphisher like this.
  5. M-Fox24

Trader

From the comments -

[​IMG]

6. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Agree with your review of Blue Hen, seemed very lacking in flavor. Nothing bad for a pilsner just very pedestrian.

ESHBG and Rug like this.
  7. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,205) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks, this certainly sounds like one I will enjoy: snappy, subtle spiciness and floral notes. Look forward to seeing it around at some point.

ESHBG likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

9. Providence

Providence Crusader (790) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

We should all buy a sixer of this. Even if it sucks, it sends the message that more environmentally minded processes and products are a priority for craft enthusiasts.

IPAExpert69, Roguer, leinie13 and 5 others like this.
  10. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, according to numerous reports (like this one in Courthouse News) Patagonia, Anheuser-Busch Settle Beer Label Trademark Spat dated March 22, 2021.
    Yet 3 months later, AB applied for a TTB label approval for the beer "Cervesa Patagonia" brewed in Fairfield, CA complete with a mountain image on the label.

Roguer, mikeinportc and Bitterbill like this.
  11. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,456) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I enjoyed it when I had it last summer.

jonphisher likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Society

Well, Blue Hen did have a nice aroma but just like @bubseymour discussed the flavor was lacking (for my palate).

More Blue Hen for you to purchase and enjoy! :beers:

Cheers!

13. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,191) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Nice concept. I'd buy a six pack if I see it.

Jaycase, Providence and Rug like this.
  14. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,456) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I’ll definitely buy this when it shows up.

15. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,037) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Kernza is a very cool grain and a potentially game changing concept. I also read recently that some researchers have successfully created a form of embryonic grafting for monocots that promises to offer more varieties of perennial grain in the very near future

Jaycase, mikeinportc, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  16. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (344) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

While spicy notes with pear and green tea don't read as the typical pilsner profile to me, i'll give it a try as i'm all about the pils. Hopefully the flavors are subtle with the crisp profile high. I'm all about the german pilsner.

Rug and Providence like this.
  17. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,736) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I can get behind this and would certainly buy it.

18. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,794) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

There's been talk/speculation/desire of perennial grain crops for a lonnggg time. Nice to see it finally happening.:clap::clap::clap:
    I'll give it a try, if it ever makes it here. (& it's not too old)

Rug, Jaycase, jmdrpi and 2 others like this.
  19. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (943) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Is this available now? Reads like a nice beer and I’m going to buy beer tomorrow.

Enjoy

20. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (344) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I didn't see it on their beer finder, but I'm hoping I see it soon as well.

21. M-Fox24

Trader

jonphisher likes this.
  22. joerooster2

joerooster2 Initiate (33) Aug 18, 2020 District of Columbia

I'm in as long as the price is $12 or less per sixer, DFH prices have jumped up ~$3 per sixer in the past couple years so I'm expecting this to be on the higher end for a lager.

Rug and ChicagoJ like this.
  23. Providence

Providence Crusader (790) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Another dollar or two seems worth it if a beer like this were able to demonstrate craft beer enthusiasts' desire for more environmentally sustainable practices. Of course, I highly doubt craft beer fans will get behind a beer like this en masse. Nevertheless, if there's a chance, then I don't mind spending an extra $2.

24. jesskidden

Society Trader

I paid $19 for a 12 pack of their Blue Hen Pilsner, but they might go higher because of the Patagonia tie-in and unique Kernza grain.

Bitterbill, Rug and ChicagoJ like this.
  25. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (234) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Sustainability is definitely something that will make me a repeat buyer, props to Patagonia (a wonderful company IMO) and Dogfish Head for bringing attention to an important issue. This will probably be the next pils I pick up

Rug and Jaycase like this.
  26. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (851) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I have bought just about everything from Patagonia Provisions that they offer that I can eat (allergic to nuts/seafood). In general, I dislike almost everything they make. I eat plenty of very hearty food, but their products are generally just weird to me and not enjoyable. Also haven’t had anyone tell me they enjoy them when I share.

I don’t expect I would like it, but would still give it a try.

I appreciate their mission statement, but overpriced and underwhelmed is my experience with their provisions.

Patagonia’s wet suits are the best though. I just ordered some new separates for work.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  27. jesskidden

Society Trader

Why do you buy it then? :thinking_face:

Are their health food tickers?:open_mouth:

Rug, LiquidAmber and Jaycase like this.
  28. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,399) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I would definitely try it if I see it. Give me all of the pils. We don't get a lot of DFH here, though, so I'm not really expecting to find it. I never saw Blue Hen.

Squire likes this.
  29. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (851) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Good question.

Their food is primarily geared towards backpacking and the like. Although I do not do much of that, do to much of my remote work with long days, we eat like we are backpacking. Sometimes we have to because we are underground for, say, 16 hours. So, since I am not paying for it (it is an expense for the trip), I have tried everything because in principle I WANT to like it. It’s just too…

You know before anyone really knew many vegetarians or vegans how the stereotype was a hippy from Seattle that lived in a van, pocket mulched, had dreadlocks, and was super into granola? And then if you tried to make something, because it was your first time and there was a limited amount of information at the time, the food was often just…not good? That’s what this reminds me of. “Very crunchy”. It’s very toothsome, often bland, and I find the consistency to often be lacking. Their oatmeal, for example, tastes as bland as can be despite having 3 flavors. I’m sure they can up the amount of apple and cinnamon in the apple cinnamon oatmeal even if they refuse to add any sugar (it’s fine, I’ll add my own honey).

I have purchased other (non Patagonia foods) from them that i quite like. And their spicey dried mango and spicey buffalo jerky are both very good. But the bulk of their food I won’t touch anymore, and it gives me low hopes for this beer.

LiquidAmber, ChicagoJ and Jaycase like this.
  30. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,037) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

To be fair, I'm assuming that the folks from Dogfish head are brewing this one

Beer_Economicus and Jaycase like this.
  31. BikeChef

BikeChef Disciple (311) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia

They have a stack of this at the brewery today at $14 a sixer. Prices here are usually a dollar below retail.

Rug and JackHorzempa like this.
  32. jesskidden

Society Trader

The Brewbound article (only partially viewable, the rest behind the paywall) seems to quote the Press Release:

Bitterbill likes this.
  33. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,045) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

And I will probably see it near or past best before date, if at all.

34. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,373) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I think you need to open your own distro to counteract the bad service in Casper.

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. Bitterbill

Society

Its not all bad. The Melvin Brewery in Eureka Missouri...I saw and bought them and had to add them to the database. Their BA Barleywine was pretty damn impressive though the others were on the Wild/Sour side and they were wearing on my palate.

steveh likes this.
  36. steveh

Society

Dunno, I hear "Melvin" and can only think of Mad Magazine. :grin:
    @jesskidden
    @zid

Bitterbill likes this.
  37. Bitterbill

Society

I don't know aboot that but I do know that Melvin was the brother of Marvin and he was the first to suffer from the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

38. steveh

Society

I remember Marvin, not Melvin in the Warner family, but the Mad Melvin was probably the same vintage. :grin:

http://majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Mad-1-Cover.jpg

Bitterbill likes this.
  39. JackHorzempa

Society

This will be a pass for me.

I am confident that other BAs will say "yes" here.

Cheers!

40. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,191) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Finally picked up a six pack of this yesterday, drinking one now. Pretty good beer, not sure I could tell it used any alternative grain if I didn't know it. Definitely has a bit of earthy/spiciness, but hard to separate what is coming from the hops vs. the kernza. The six pack was $12.50

[​IMG]