Paulaner USA moving from Littleton CO to Harrison NY

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Domingo, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/loc.../08/28/paulaner-moves-white-plains/601488001/
    I don't think this is a shock to anyone in Colorado. They've had almost zero presence here in years. Seems the bigger surprise to a lot of people around here is that they were here in the first place. I think the only times I've seen anything from them are at Denver's Oktoberfest, and they serve more Coors Light than Paulaner.

Hopefully this is a good thing for them. The move makes sense. I have a feeling we were chosen because of a centralized location and Denver's reputation as a beer-friendly area. The east coast and upper midwest make a lot more sense to me.

LuskusDelph and steveh like this.
  2. einhorn

einhorn Savant (1,141) Nov 3, 2005 California

Not sure, but I think they were in CO because of tax benefits.

But yeah, closer to the more Germanic part of the US couldn't hurt.

cavedave and LuskusDelph like this.
  3. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Interesting in many ways, and to a certain extent I agree with einhorn (mostly because of economy and volume of peoples) but I also believe based on figures that I've seen that there's a much larger Germanic population overall in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and North Dakota. Pennsylvania and Ohio do follow, but then there's also Nebraska.

4. spartan1979

spartan1979 Pundit (946) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

Saint Louis, too.

5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Michigan and Indiana have a good % too.

6. grantcty

grantcty Pundit (952) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm a bit surprised the CEO used Denver being 'a craft and domestic' town as a reason for Paulaner USA's departure. I don't think that had anything to do with it all. One of Paulaner's previous Importers was Paulaner North America. It had a reasonable amount of success with the Paulaner/Hacker-Pschorr brands, and it was located in Englewood, CO until 2003. In fact, after Star Brands (a Heineken-owned Importer based in White Plains, NY) took over the Paulaner Portfolio, sales dropped by 30,000 Hectoliters, in six years (2003-2009) when Heineken basically dissolved Star Brands.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Paul...+more+proactive+stance+in+U.S....-a0222560037

The linked article indicates to me that a move to the east coast was not helpful because the brands were not marketed 'correctly' or much at all.

You'll also notice that Paulaner decided to create its own import company in 2009--Paulaner HP USA. I have a feeling it moved back to Colorado as the people who used to run Paulaner North America were still there and were going to be in charge of the new import company.

http://www.drinks-business-review.c...ner_and_hacker_pschor_brands_in_the_us_080609

I think the latter reasons given are stronger reasons to give for the re-location. Additionally, the current CEO, Mr. Hauser, used to work for Star Brands and Heineken. So a move out there isn't that surprising from that aspect as well.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/paulaner-usa-announces-executive-management-transition

7. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, I was just trying to put that convoluted chronology of Paulaner importation in the US together w/links, too - but you beat me by a few minutes and I just deleted mine.

What strikes me is that Heineken recently announced they were AGAIN going to start a second US import division (other than HeinekenUSA) called "Five Points Trading Co." to which I thought:
    "Wha... Didn't they just disband Star Brands?"

Both Heineken USA and Five Points are located in .... White Plains, NY. Heineken, of course, owns 30% of the recently restructured Paulaner.

8. grantcty

grantcty Pundit (952) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

einhorn and jesskidden like this.
  9. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Pooh-Bah (2,510) May 21, 2008 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Plenty of places more German than here (colorado), but surprised it's the top ancestry at a little more than a third of the population. Maybe it's all the miners that came here?

http://www.germancorner.com/info/stat/uspop.html

JackHorzempa likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

That is a great chart. It appears that the top three states with German population are:
    • Pennsylvania
    • Ohio
    • Illinois
    Cheers!

11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

California was number one. 4.9 million, but that is a small percentage of their population.

That table is from 1996.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  12. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Pooh-Bah (1,567) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

Not German but I love Paulaner. Hopefully they start pushing Octoberfest Weisn' out to their distro's

13. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Maven (1,363) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

it's because of Bierstadt Lagerhaus opening, & Bill & Ashleigh--even Paulaner doesn't want to match lagers against them...:slight_smile:

14. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

This neck o' the woods has a great residual German cultural essence. When I was in the beer (and wine) business, I marveled at how well Aventinus, various Kulmbacher flavors, wheat beers in general, and particularly St. Georgenbrau Keller Bier all sold. I suspect that the early Moravian settlement in what is now Winston-Salem had a lot to do with the continued German influence. Red Oak Brewery in the Greensboro area and Olde Mecklenburg in Charlotte specialize exclusively in authentic German-style beers.

Haybeerman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.