Peak Organic IPA packaging date

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DCH, Oct 6, 2020.

1. DCH

DCH Aspirant (231) Jun 12, 2013 New York

Just curious if anyone has had any trouble trying to find the canned on date for the Peak Organic IPA six pack boxes? I went on a beer run the other day, came across a few boxes and I couldn’t find any indication of a date anywhere on any of the packaging.

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (966) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I would open the box and look on the can.

Enjoy

officerbill, DCH and readyski like this.
  3. DCH

It was tempting... though I’d hate to rip it open to find a 6 month old beer that I’m just gonna leave on the shelf for the store staff to tape up and try to resell. Also, almost all of the other breweries beers that I was looking for that day had the date printed on the case; no reason I should have to open the packaging just to find out if it’s fresh or not.

4. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (350) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah, it's frustrating. I've put plenty of their product back on the shelf because I couldn't find any dates

HorseheadsHophead and DCH like this.
  5. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,424) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

They don't date their boxed beers, except on the bottom of the can. Which is why I don't buy from them anymore...

ChicagoJ and DCH like this.
  6. DCH

It's really annoying - I even emailed them to let them know I didn't buy their product for that exact reason. They've gotta know at this point that this is an issue... especially with IPAs!

HorseheadsHophead and Jaycase like this.
  7. CervezaNY

CervezaNY Aspirant (205) Mar 24, 2016 New York

I was pleasantly surprised to find their beers in a local supermarket. Unfortunately there was no date on the box so I put it back on the shelf. It would seem that that a simple solution would be to follow Sixpoint's lead - have a little cutout on the bottom of the box so that you can see the date on one of the cans.

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,485) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, there is a reason - the brewery doesn't care. You note:
    So, that's taken care of (or, more likely, to be ignored - "Do you know how much a box coder costs?")

But I'm thinking everyone should be opening these undated 6 & 12 packs (I see them from a lot of breweries*). When you find a date you don't like, be courteous and bring it to an employee to tape up. (Sure, you may get banned from some stores.) The benefit - the rest of see a taped pack, and we just don't buy it!

DCH likes this.
  9. DCH

Yeah the idea sixpoint has is pretty cool, such a simple solution.

10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,485) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, except for breweries with lousy date code can printers*, in which case you've got only a 1 in 4 or 6 chance that a legible can is over the die-cut. :grimacing: (Haven't checked lately - do the other ABV breweries' boxes use the die-cut technique? You'd think they use the same box mfg...

* Like say, Carton (below) - it's been months since I found a can with an entirely legible date code. If you take some part of the code from one can and then another part from another can, sometimes you can figure it out. No one at the brewery checks the coding?

2 cans I brought home from a sixpack I bought yesterday.
    [​IMG]

11. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Devotee (419) Aug 21, 2020 Colorado

I stopped buying Peak after two sixers with no date. There are lots more dated beers to buy than to throw money at Peak.

Alaska was silent and never responded when I posed the question about no dates anywhere on their Amber ale. Months later they started putting holes in the cardboard to see a date on one can.

DCH likes this.
  12. augiecarton

augiecarton Initiate (198) Oct 22, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

funny you should mention that, we are actually fooling around with moving it around the canning line to find a place it doesn't get jiggled by the crew while they catch and stack and weigh and so on. always starts great then when things get cooking and people start flying around it gets bumps and blurry. next spot is high on the de-pal. hopping for better clarity, time and tries will tell.