People are pouring their beers in a strange way...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeerKarmaNYC, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKarmaNYC

BeerKarmaNYC Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2015 New York

So I know people should drink whatever they like and how they want to drink it but I've seen recent trend on Instagram of people pouring their beers to tippy-top of the glass without any head and I thought it was a bit odd. I reached out to a few of these people to say, "Hey, why are you pouring like that?" I figured maybe I missed something and this is the new way people our pouring their beers because it retains the carbonation better or maybe some other functional reason? But no, everyone who responded to me said that they pour their beers that way because it looks better in the pictures. I was literally shocked, I get tweaking pictures with filters and maybe moving things around a bit to make things look more appealing but I would have never thought about compromising the actual beer just to make a picture look good.

Just to show you what i'm talking about here are a few examples.

This was primarily meant to be rant but I'm curious to see what other people think of this.

2. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

It doesn't look better in the pictures, I'd rather see some head

3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,937) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The funny thing is that they don't even look better that way.

4. BeerKarmaNYC

I AGREE. Nothing is prettier than a creamy white head or seeing a dark brown head on a stout.

5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,590) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Maybe they were smoking rather than drinking.

6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,937) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Maybe they want it to look even more like juice...

7. corgistout

corgistout Initiate (0) May 8, 2014 California

Reminds me of the episode of The Office where Michael Scott fills his wine glass to the top. Pouring it to the top with no head makes it look like the beer is flat. You might as well drink the beer out of a dog bowl because it doesn't improve the beer at all.

8. Crackerbarrel

Crackerbarrel Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2014 New York

Maybe people like the look of infinity pools and it reminds them of that.

9. David_Deas

David_Deas Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 North Carolina

I do not pour my beers aggressively and hate when people waste time doing so. It doesn't taste any better. All it does is make you have to spend a bunch of time waiting to fill up the rest of your glass because the head won't subside. When I serve a beer it typically won't have much beyond a half a finger on it.

quindog, thepenguin and Jaxbeerdude like this.
  10. BeerKarmaNYC

There is a big different between pouring your beer aggressively and pouring it so there is an inch or so of head. Unless it is a nitro beer or maybe a hefeweizen there is no reason for an aggressive pour.

11. sinkas

sinkas Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2008 Australia

those monkey spankers need to get a bigger glass FFS

12. David_Deas

People pour aggressively all the time. And then sit there staring like an idiot for a few minutes waiting for the head to subside before they take a sip or finish pouring. Personally, I think its waste of time.

13. erushing

erushing Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2014 Texas

I'm less concerned about no head and more concerned with it just looking so weird to see a tapered glass filled to the absolute top. It's just not a thing that's supposed to exist. It looks so dumb.

14. BeerKarmaNYC

I just meant you can pour a beer into a glass and get an inch or so head without pouring aggressively...

15. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,621) Jul 27, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

You should just shotgun your beers right out of the can. Much more efficient use of your time.

WolvAlerine, cjgiant, Lahoi and 21 others like this.
  16. Ferb

Ferb Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2016 Missouri

I agree with the opinion that the no-head, poured to the rim looks odd. If I did that, I would feel obligated to stoop down and without my hands touching the glass, slurp 1/4 inch off the top to avoid spilling any! I used to do that when I was a kid and poured my milk glass too full to get the chocolate powder in there.

17. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,162) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

If I poured my beer like that, there is a 100% chance I'd spill at least some of it. Waste not want not, right?

Plus, I like some head on my beers - especially a nice stout.

kemoarps and NotHereForGold like this.
  18. David_Deas

Touche.

Bigrock and TrojanRB like this.
  19. Squire

Society Trader

I prefer the taste of beer at lower carbonation levels so pour straight into the glass. I guess that could be called aggressive though I'm not mad at it or anything. Never occurred to me to sit and watch the bubbles dissipate though I suppose I could.

connecticutpoet likes this.
  20. Iluvink

Iluvink Initiate (125) Aug 21, 2008 Texas

I have always thought that a properly poured beer had some head to it. Brings out the flavor by waking up the aroma.

connecticutpoet likes this.
  21. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (1,943) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

May be they went to a state school and hate foam out of habit? It took me a while to get out of that too.

NickTheGreat likes this.
  22. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I don't see the problem. I've done this many times over and it doesn't change the way the beer tastes, it just so happens that the glass was slightly smaller in volume than what was in the bottle/can. Unless it was a 22oz. or 750mL bottle, then it is split into two separate pours that each have about an inch worth of head on them.

23. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (401) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

How do you drink that without spilling a little bit?

larryi86, GrumpyGas and FBarber like this.
  24. Squire

Society Trader

Straw.

glyphs, cjgiant, Lucular and 2 others like this.
  25. JaefromLA

JaefromLA Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 California

You should find each and every one of these people and destroy them. Or you can just choose not to look at their photos. They're probably just trying fit the whole can or bottle in the glass. Don't get yer panties in a bunch over how people pour their own beer. You started a thread about this? That to me is worse than that person that poured their beer in the way you didn't like.

26. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Meh. I've been pouring beer this way for over twenty years.

27. Hat_Fulla_Beer

Hat_Fulla_Beer Defender (618) Dec 14, 2015 Canada (AB)

Man, people are fucking dumb.

28. stealth

stealth Zealot (551) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

I give no fucks about how people pour their beer.

29. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I don't pour a head when I want to drink it now and not really review it.

connecticutpoet and VABA like this.
  30. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,667) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Kids these days.

rab53, Gemini6 and VABA like this.
  31. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,382) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

The head formation and retention is one of the areas I'm hardest on beers. I don't see why others could just over look that. Personally, I feel bad when I pour an imperial stout and it's all black with no head. That's a bummer and why I've started pouring straight into the glass, and tilting/tapering off as the head forms, and yet some just don't form.

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  32. meb3476

meb3476 Initiate (198) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

I pour my ipa's that way. For some reason I'm not a fan of a foamy head on my ipa's but on porters and stouts I do.

Jaxbeerdude likes this.
  33. BeerKarmaNYC

I was in a bad place after the NY Rangers loss last night and felt the need to publicly shame these people...and I just think people need to be better.

34. Jaxbeerdude

Jaxbeerdude Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Florida

Agreed. I prefer my IPAs with no head and as crisp and carbonated as possible. Stouts and Porters always get a hard pour.

meb3476 likes this.
  35. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

some people just like to watch the world burn

36. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

Why?! You always want a Head especially for a beer like an IPA or DIPAs. A good head helps release the aromas of the beer, especially the hops. Aroma is everything for enjoyment of a good brew.

Jim Cohen "the head will hold the multifaceted aromatics within the beer helping a consumer embrace and relish the complexities found in each individual beer. The gases that are formed from the carbon dioxide help provide a subtle texture difference that you won’t be able to duplicate in any other beer."

encladd, Fargrow, wyoming and 3 others like this.
  37. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,121) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

The less time worrying about what people post on Instagram the better.

38. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (795) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

stop telling me what to do

VABA, meanmutt and utopiajane like this.
  39. IceAce

IceAce Savant (919) Jan 8, 2004 California

This is from the Orval Tasting a few Saturdays ago...
    [​IMG]

40. ChrisSchlosser

ChrisSchlosser Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2013 Ohio

I follow one of the people in the pictures and I have always wondered the same thing. I also think the head looks better in pictures and it tastes and smells better....

connecticutpoet and TongoRad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.