People buying 10+ of the same beer.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SackBlabbath, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Lol, I love to share beer with people all the time, but trading seems like a hassle :-) Plus, (unless we are talking locals for locals) I would rather the people in Omaha drink the beer distributed to Omaha.

Anyway I was drunk when I responded to this thread. KBS is fine BA stout (not ho-hum) but I don't think it is anything to stand in line for/mule for/etc. My love for 3F OG though is real :grinning:

Cheers @PSU_Mike

2. BrettHead

Welcome to the beer talk forums; I suggest you grow a thicker skin :wink:

Also, 3F = Drie Fonteinen

#122 BrettHead, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. nolan_likes_wine

nolan_likes_wine Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2015 California

So if a case comes in unexpectedly you just throw up your hands and give up on rationing it? I don't get this post...

Alecmclaughlin likes this.
  4. KrajDoesBeer

KrajDoesBeer Devotee (453) Aug 2, 2014 Illinois

About a month ago I went to a small store to pick up Crimson Snapper. They had a limit 3... I bought 2 and said I would rather someone else get to try it... Manager told me I was the THIRD person to say that today... My friends run beer stores and they still limit themselves, me and other friends so good people get good beer...

5. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Im like the exact opposite.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  6. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

They sell beer, I buy beer. Too bad, so sad.

For the record, the only beers I've bought 10 or more of at once is when I visit Russian River (Pliny, Supplication & Temptation) and when I was offered a case of both BCBS & BCBCS.

Don't feel the least bit bad about it.

7. SackBlabbath

SackBlabbath Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2014 Kentucky

No. When did i ever say i would buy the shelf out if there was a sale? Putting words in someones mouth is no way to start a debate.

8. SackBlabbath

SackBlabbath Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2014 Kentucky

My opinion isn't wrong, thats why it's an opinion.

SeanBond likes this.
  9. stratusjeans

stratusjeans Aspirant (289) Oct 11, 2014 Washington

Some beers come in a 6-pack so sometimes I buy 6.

SonnyJay and MN23 like this.
  10. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2004 Georgia

I typically don't buy more then 2 bombers during an initial release of a beer... 1 to drink fresh and 1 to cellar... If I really like it upon drinking the fresh one I will go back and see if I can find more after others have gotten a shot... I plan to break this "rule" though when Burnt Hickory puts the Didjits in bottles and buy as many as my beer guy and my wallet will allow

GABrew likes this.
  11. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Michigan

It is just a liberal mentality at the root of it and that is ok. This philosophy, on a larger scale, has divided our country since existence. As for me, I don't see anything wrong with buying a bunch of something you like you. I drink beer because I like it. I guess when I walk into a store, I don't think about generosity. I think about cravings and buying something that I love. You seem to me, to be part of the "entitled society." Its not fair that others have what you don't have. Dude, people put a lot of time, work, money, and dedication into buying this stuff. When I first saw pictures of the stuff these people had, I didn't hate them for having it. I wanted to learn their secrets to how they acquired all that beer.

12. WhoKnew23

WhoKnew23 Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Michigan

This is going to make you mad, but I will be buying 2 cases of KBS. I had three friends and family members buy a ticket and neither one of them cares about craft beer. They will be giving them all to me :-)

13. GregJ

GregJ Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Louisiana

I did not think I was guilty of this but then I remember buying a case of Heady. The miracle of miracles happened and a store still had a stack of cases in the afternoon on delivery day when you usually need to wait in line for the damn truck. I shipped it back to Louisiana, sent a few to friends in FL, shared a few with local brewers, traded a few and enjoyed the heck out of the remaining half!!! I would do it again.

14. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (458) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

i realize this is probably old fashioned & could be outdated in today's mindset, but the advice i would offer the original poster & anybody else similarly frustrated is build relationships. again, i know that might not be the way modern day enthusiasts are accustomed to doing things in this age of instant gratification & "I'll just Google it".

there isn't a bottle shop i set foot in where i don't know the owner's name, most of their staff's name & other familiarity, down to things like how many kids they each have etc. the majority of the Whole Foods locations i frequent, i've taken the time to get to know the names & contact info of the store's buyers. with some minor legwork & social skills, generally you can eliminate more than 85% of the issue originally described. for anybody who thinks the described activities are way beneath their pay-grade, my conclusion would be maybe the items causing the frustration, just aren't for you.

15. SpaceEurope

SpaceEurope Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2012 New Jersey

Case gets put on the floor during delivery and the sharks get at it before much can be done. Sorry for lack of clarification.

16. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

I'm thankfully in a position where I can be 'that guy' and buy absurd amounts to hoard if I wanted to, but generally I try to buy within reason so that more people have an opportunity to share in the experience. Having said that, as annoying as it is I can't really slight people for nabbing a case or more of something limited for purposes unbeknownst to me (the hype and 20 minute sellout of HopSlam this year comes to mind). Buy what you want, enjoy what you want, share or don't share what you want even if it will annoy me if I can't join in the fun.

SackBlabbath likes this.
  17. Nittybeat

Nittybeat Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2015 California

I am a fairly liberal person, but when it comes to beer I am as libertarian as it gets.

18. Hophead21

Hophead21 Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Pennsylvania

Sounds like someone needs to show up to the store earlier.

SackBlabbath likes this.
  19. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (560) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

Obviously everyone is going to have an opinion about this, but when you buy 10+ bottles of something (that is difficult and hard to get) you're acting like that jerk mule that people complain about.

Honestly, If you want to buy 10+ bottles, that's your thing. I personally wouldn't.

SammyJaxxxx and StartedwithSAM like this.
  20. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

I do. I bought a case of a very limited beer recently because my friends could not make it to the release.

StartedwithSAM likes this.
  21. DawgPhan

DawgPhan Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2012 Georgia

Odd that most supplying the humblebrags about their haul also feel the need to toss in stories of their generosity as well.

Almost like they dont feel entirely comfortable with their purchase and are trying to balance it out.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  22. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (242) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

You see this all the time working in retail and they're such douchebags. We get people that'll come in every day if they know we have something allocated and ask for different managers, there's one guy who'll walk with a cane depending on his he's talking to for sympathy points and he gets PISSED when we deny him. One bottle means one bottle, no excuse to act like a child IMO

BeerBob and SeanBond like this.
  23. DarkerTheBetter

DarkerTheBetter Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2005 Minnesota

Capitalism bothers me too.

24. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (166) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Yes it would be a smiley beautiful world when someone doesn't wipe out a supply of something. I bet you could buy all the Bud you wanted but the store SHOULD say something..BUT,it is AMERICA,and it is a 'dog eat dog' or should I say a 'man drinks beer' world....

25. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

My real problem with people buying up and hoarding cases of limited/popular releases is that it inevitably leads to bottle limits and retailers hiding stuff behind the counter with a secret handshake and a jacked up price.

Alpha309 likes this.
  26. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

When there's only one bomber left I drink half and leave the rest for someone else to try

NOT

27. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,109) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I don't particularly understand the "go to extreme lengths to buy multiple cases of this beer because it is so far above and beyond any other beer ever brewed anywhere ever" mentality, myself, but that's why I just don't bother going after rare beers. If I can't find it on a shelf somewhere, I just don't buy it, and I give it no further thought. Occasionally, in a scenario where it's something I should be able to find but it's just that no shop around carries it in their normal stock (hi, Kulmbacher eisbock), I'll make a special request or order at a shop. That's the extent of my beer-chasing.

I've seen posts on this site which may or may not have been troll-bait, saying such things as "if I want to crack open a BCBS every Sunday morning while I read the paper, who are you to judge me", and all I can do is arch a brow. If someone is that far into a specific beer, that they're willing to sink that much time, energy, and money into that one specific beer, more power to them. They can chase those trucks and camp out in those lines with every friend and family member they can wheedle, cajole, or pay to come along. I'll just drink the thousands upon thousands of other really good beers that are readily available, cheaper, and very nearly as good (if not as good or better). It's a better value proposition for me.

metsfansour and Ozzylizard like this.
  28. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

If I saw three cases of Bourbon County Coffee sitting on the floor of a store you bet your ass I'd buy all three cases. Why? Because it's my favorite beer of all time!

Hophead21 and bozodogbreath like this.
  29. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

As long as bottle limits weren't circumvented, I don't care if somone wants to buy the entire allotment as long as they are buying it for personal consumption. Buying for trades and beer groups is not something I'm in favor of. That being said, this doesn't impact me as I don't seek out rare beers anymore, I have yet to find a beer that made it worth my time.

30. Johnnyhitch

Johnnyhitch Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 New York

Everyone has the same opportunity and its not at all about money.

If I see a bottle I like and will drink/share/trade it then why wouldn't I grab whats left on the shelf when the last guy left them

Your not privileged, get the chip off your shoulder.

31. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (828) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Maybe not in the part of PA you're in..... In the Philly area most distributors break up cases of the limited stuff and sell a 4pk/6pk per person, and even still it's very difficult to come across 'tough beers'.

32. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Illinois

I bought a case of Hopslam this year; I immediately (like as soon as I pulled into the garage & opened the trunk to unload groceries) gave 2 sixers to two neighbors who I knew would dig it, and kept the other two for myself. In hindsight, I should've just bought 3 sixers, because I've still got one left in the beer fridge.

I bought a case of 2014 BCBS; I put two 4-packs into nice boxes with a pair of nice glasses each & gave them to friends for Christmas. I squirreled two 4-packs away in my cellar, and have been slowly working my way through the remaining two 4-packs when my wife & I want to split one or when friends are over.

I bought a case of Enigma a couple weeks ago; I gave two 4-packs to a couple of buddies, and split another between my two fave bottle shops. I've stashed a 4-pack in my cellar for a TBD later date, and will slowly work my way through the rest (solo, because my wife's not a fan of wilds/sours).

33. babaBlackSheep

babaBlackSheep Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2015 North Carolina

Even if there isn’t a bottle limit I’ll typically limit myself to a four pack or one or two bombers of limited releases (at least for my first trip to the store).

My thought is that if there is so much demand for a release that it consistently sells out in a few hours, then the brewer has to know they are selling their beer for a price below its “market” value. Maybe they do so to build market share, but at least in some cases I’d believe they do so to make their beer accessible to enthusiasts who are willing to put in the time to track it down. Same goes for the bottle shop selling the beer. There’s enough good beer to go around, so I’ll leave some great beers on the shelf for others to enjoy.

34. gibgink

gibgink Savant (917) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Trader

Drink what you like, buy what you can!

35. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

HTFU. Brewery makes beer, store gets beer. Beer drinker buys beer. Welcome to America. I bought a case of Nugget Nectar cans. Does mean I have to give you some? I recently bought 3 bottles of BA Bigfoot. Yum. 1 to drink , 1 to share, 1 to throw in the cellar for later. FWIW, I don't trade or ship, rarely drive out of my way. Got some beer retailer friends? Start there.

36. BrettHead

Opinions can be wrong. An opinion that doesn't correspond to reality is still wrong, even if it is your opinion.

I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as gravity :wink:

37. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,620) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I say let people spend their money the way they see fit. If everyone has a problem with hoarding because the only way to obtain a limited beer is to trade unfairly, then stop trading. If nobody is willing to trade for beers, then nobody has a reason to hoard them. Its simple; supply and demand. When trading completely ceases, maybe we can call people who buy large amounts of beer douche nozzles: until then, people are allowed to spend money the way they see fit.

38. glass_house

glass_house Zealot (582) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio

I'm so glad stuff like this doesn't bother me or even register on my radar.

39. 2_Beardz

2_Beardz Initiate (168) Apr 4, 2014 Florida
    Trader

good advice, i need to heed this a bit more

40. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,909) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Really? Do they have to have some special license or something? I've never seen that here in NW PA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.