Perennial Artisan Ales (2022)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by davidtarnow, Jan 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidtarnow

davidtarnow Initiate (126) Mar 19, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

No 2022 thread yet??

Orange wax?!?!

2. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (158) Aug 21, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

I was there Thursday right after those videos were posted. Wouldn't tell what it is of course, but it'll be the first member bottle of the new membership year. I'm hoping for more barleywine this year. I think we're supposed to get Blue Ridge and BA Vermilion and I keep bugging them to bring back regular Vermilion.

3. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,604) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

if i remember correctly, they did regular Vermilion as draft / crowler only at some point in 2021.

4. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

perhaps that was 2020… the shit years are starting to blur together lol

Harrison8, KevSal, darkwing1 and 2 others like this.
  5. davidtarnow

Trader

I think it’s double barrel blue ridge this year :slight_smile:

6. dlcarst

Trader

Yeah it was November 2020.

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  7. MKE_Hopspur

MKE_Hopspur Initiate (57) Mar 15, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

Looks like the orange wax that they teased last week will be Barrel Aged Then You Roast the Mallow. First time they've bottled this beer and think it might be the first time they've released this beer (not sure if it was ever on draft).

Beer Description: Blend of 3 stout bases brewed with marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs and cacao nibs, aged in whiskey barrels. 12.9%

Based on the description sounds like River Raptor 2.0, but we'll see. Hoping for more barrel than RR, but like that they're releasing new stout blends each year.

8. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

MKE_Hopspur likes this.
  9. dlcarst

Trader

Anyone else wish they'd have just left out the s'more stuff? I'd like to see some more non-adjunct BA stouts from Perennial. But I did really enjoy River Raptor.

And I always look forward to Sump, but that member exclusive version on draft is even more exciting!

10. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,559) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

This, but for every brewery.

11. MKE_Hopspur

Trader

Chris K, head brewer at the Lockwood location and cellar manager for Perennial, teased Old Fitz barrels with Phase Three tagged in his IG story. My guess is that they were recently filled so we likely won't see anything in bottles soon, but nice to see them really getting into more stout collabs with great breweries!

12. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,195) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

dammit i knew i should have tried to join this year! hopefully some trickles down to OZNR

Harrison8 likes this.
  13. gudbrande

gudbrande Zealot (527) Jul 10, 2009 Minnesota
    Society Trader

This 1000%

14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,514) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I don't follow these releases too closely, but when is Maman 2021 released?

I have my first bottle of BBT (21) and lucked into a bottle of Maman (20), but would consider trading out the Maman to compare the same release years between the two beers.

15. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (144) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

There was no (traditional) Maman in 2021. I’m guessing that when the next batch comes out it’ll just be 2022. The 2020 batch came out just under the wire in December ‘20.

There was a TWCP Maman release in 2021

16. Harrison8

Society Trader

Good to know.

Looks like the TWCP releases see different barrels, but are otherwise a plain stout?

17. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

barrels gifted from TWCP but no adjunct additions.

Beer_Economicus and Harrison8 like this.
  18. dlcarst

Trader

As Perennial says, their BA beers are ready when they're ready. I think the closing early pandemic is probably the reason for no Maman 21. 20 released in December that year and the next batch just wasn't ready yet. I'm sure most of us appreciate their desire to have the beer be as it should rather than make sure they get one in each year and sacrifice quality.

19. leroybrown10

leroybrown10 Poo-Bah (1,611) Jan 26, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

It's not the first time Perennial has skipped a year on a big beer. There was no 2015 Barrel Aged Abraxas

20. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

i’m also thinking that barrels of Maman going into the their 10th anniversary stout collab with SP and then more barrels going into SP’s For Phil attributed to no Maman 21 release.

21. Harrison8

Society Trader

Don't take anything I've said here as me being upset. I'm stoked to finally have Maman, and figured it would be easier to swap that for a '21 vs. trading BBT '21 for '20.

Finally got to try BA Sump and BA Abraxas last year (and have BA Vermilion in my fridge). Really happy to finally be hitting these Perennial beers. They've been long-standing 'wants' for me since I joined these forums.

22. dlcarst

Trader

Definitely nothing wrong with your inquiry, but I think they probably get asked often, because I've frequently seen them give the explanation. And I'd bet you could easily trade your 20 for 22 when the time comes. I'd guess that'll be pretty soon given the absence of 21. And I personally always try to drink fresh the first time I have a beer. This year should see another BA Vermilion as well if you want to compare.

Luscious_Malfoy and Harrison8 like this.
  23. Harrison8

Society Trader

Ah, that makes sense. Customers get spoiled with a lot of consistent barrel releases, making it easy to forget all the steps it takes to get there. Couple that with trying to track several (or more) breweries releases calendars and it all turns into a blur.

True. May swap out for '22, or may just try my hand at acquiring '22 and do a side-by-side. We'll see if my bottle of Maman even lives that long. Review #2700 is coming up and I love a good milestone beer. Then again, that milestone could be BA Vermilion....

Not intimately familiar with Perennial's catalog, but do they have other plain barleywines? Aside from base Vermilion.

24. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

nothing comes to mind besides Blue Ridge (which is barrel-aged), Vermilion and BA Vermilion.

upon a quick look by style, they also did a one-off (draft only i think) BW called Balanced Breakfast (“Pastry English-style barleywine with bananas, maple syrup, walnuts and vanilla beans”).

Harrison8 likes this.
  25. AlexIrigoyen

AlexIrigoyen Initiate (114) Jun 3, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Devil's Heart of Gold is technically a wheatwine but I'd call that in the barleywine family

26. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Zealot (514) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

No discussion of BA Vermilion random draw today? I’m on a pretty good streak of hitting perennial entries lately and definitely excited about this one.

Cheers!

27. Affinity

Affinity Aspirant (267) Nov 24, 2018 Missouri
    Trader

Really pumped for BA Vermillion & Merna. Both historically good beers. Perennial really does BA barleywine & wheatwine on point and I am very excited. This should hold us over until Blue Ridge.

28. MKE_Hopspur

Trader

Cannot wait for batch 2 Blue Ridge, still have 2 batch 1 for comparison!

29. Harrison8

Society Trader

I should've checked the app more, dammit.

I opened up my one and only BA Vermilion not long ago and loved it though. Great BA barleywine. Congrats to those that won the drawing.

Luscious_Malfoy and Affinity like this.
  30. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Zealot (514) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

I really dislike push notifications on my phone but with Oznr you can set it up to be notified when individual breweries post new offers. That's definitely been helpful for me with the Perennial releases.

Luscious_Malfoy and Harrison8 like this.
  31. Harrison8

Society Trader

I pretty much refused to get more notifications, and have nearly everything turned off on my phone (especially notifications that push to my watch), but I will be signing up for Oznr's. I don't want to miss another barleywine raffle.

32. dlcarst

Trader

I hope multiple barleywines each year become the norm! I've heard excellent things about Merna but haven't had it before. Wine barrel aged, non-fruited are my favorite saison/wild and Perennial is my favorite saison brewer in the city so I'm gonna have to pick up an extra bottle or two.

33. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (164) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Had a bottle of merna 2 weeks ago. My brother gave me a bottle from last release for Christmas. Was very excited to see that was this release because it was extremely good. I’d feel confident buying multiple bottles, knowing it will be phenomenal

34. bread_c

bread_c Initiate (144) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

35. davidtarnow

Trader

Love the format shift...hoping for abraxas in cans next year...would love a package with a couple regular and the variants.

36. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

37. dlcarst

Trader

Gotta disagree on it as the best, but glad it's back and very glad for cans. I agree on Abraxas. I didn't buy a package last year, just a single Abraxas bottle and a pour of the new variant, but I'd love to buy an assorted 4 pack.

38. not2quick

not2quick Meyvn (1,103) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Need some clarification on society bottles. I'm not a member, but I proxy for someone. He missed bottles 4 and 5 and they told him I could still pick them up as long as I got them by Sunday. When I inquired the two gals who helped me had a hard time remembering what 4 and 5 was. After some debating they said it was anniversary and a wild ale. Once I got home and inspected the bottles I received anniversary 2021.

I thought 2021 anniversary was last year's bottle. I remember overtrading for one like last November. Did they indeed include it in the membership or is this a mistake?

39. MKE_Hopspur

Trader

Bottles 4 & 5 should have been Frances & Anniversary 2022. I don't believe that an Anniversary 2021 bottle specifically using that naming convention was ever made. Last year's anniversary bottle was their "10th Anniversary" and was a collaboration with SP.

Luscious_Malfoy and not2quick like this.
  40. not2quick

not2quick Meyvn (1,103) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Looks like they gave me the 10th anniversary by mistake.

Harrison8 and MKE_Hopspur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.