1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Perennial has announced the Société du Chêne (Society of Oak)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Centinela, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Centinela

Centinela Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2014 Minnesota

Via STL Hops - http://stlhops.com/perennial-artisan-ales-announces-societe-du-chene/

While we have the old guard in St. Louis to thank for establishing a craft beer culture, without a doubt 2011 was a watershed year for beer in our town. We saw four amazing breweries open in our town and change what people thought about beer in St. Louis.

We saw each new brewery bring something new to our local beer scene, providing us with classic styles or more esoteric offerings. While Perennial Artisan Ales has produces some examples of traditional styles, they’re definitely known for their more unique experiments.

While owners Phil and Emily Wymore have enjoyed seeing tremendous growth with their year-round creations, the heart of Perennial was always about producing those one-off, barrel-aged beers. But barrel-aged beers have a cost and that cost is availability.

There is only so much room for beer that sits in barrels for months (or even years) at a time. Which means that only so many people can get their hands on these special creations. And while the parties to release these beers are fun, there are only so many one can do without problems cropping up.

To combat any future issues all while providing a fertile ground to create these barrel-aged beers, Perennial has announced the Société du Chêne (Society of Oak) membership.

Because this membership will be a highly sought-after ticket, the 2015 memberships will be available via an online lottery beginning on Thursday, March 5th at 9:00am and will end Sunday, March 8th at 9:00am. All entries will be random, entering at 9:01am on 3/5 has the same chance as 8:57am on 3/8.

Each membership will be $240 (tax included) and will include:

• One bottle of each of the following beers
      • Funky Wit Apricot 375ml
      • Funky Wit Raspberries & Rhubarb 375ml
      • Funky Wit Charentais Melon 375ml
      • Barry Rye 2.0 (Dark Rye Ale aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels with Blackberries) 750ml
      • La Bohème (Wine Barrel-Aged Sour Brown Ale with Michigan Tart Cherries) 750ml
      • Savant Blanc (Belgian Blonde Ale aged in Chardonnay Barrels with Chardonel grapes) 750ml
      • Savant Beersel (Belgian Pale Ale aged in Red Wine Barrels with Chambourcin Grapes) 750ml
      • Pro”CATS”tination (Wine barrel-aged saison with Brett & Lacto. Brewed in collaboration with Off Color and Northdown.) 750ml
      • Hoosier Love (Wine Barrel-Aged Sour Brown Ale with Persimmons. Brewed in Collaboration with The Libertine) 750ml
      • Anniversaria 2015 (Blended Solera-Aged 100% Brettanomyces Belgian Pale Ale) 750ml
    • a Société du Chêne glass
    • 10% discount on all on-premise purchases with valid membership ID (does not include bottles to go or merchandise)
    • One entry to a Members-Only party. Details to be released at a later date. (Trust us—we’ll make it a good one)
    • The ability to purchase a one-bottle allocation of Abraxas, Sump & 17.
    Now, for some of the rules and regulations for this club (because people love to find loopholes!):

• One membership per person.
    • Each of these beers will be released at some time during the membership period. Perennial will release the beers when they feel that they are ready. For this reason, a release schedule will not be shared in advance. If, for some unforeseen reason, a beer is unable to be released, partial refunds will be provided.
    • If there are excess bottles available, (depending on the number) bottles will either be offered to members for purchase, sold on or off-premise in the Perennial Tasting Room or sold on-premise at The Side Project Cellar.
    • In the event that their spirits barrel-aged beers mature during the membership period, members may also be given the ability to purchase an undetermined allocation of these beers as well.
    • Bottles must be picked up in the tasting room. Under no circumstances are they able to ship bottles.
    • Members may designate one trustee to pick up his or her bottles from the tasting room. Membership benefits do not apply to trustees.
    • 2016 Memberships will be offered first to 2015 members. Renewal is, of course, optional.
    And because people love to skirt the rules of lotteries (lord knows I know this all too well) here are the lottery rules:

• Members will be selected via lottery at www.perennialbeer.com/societe. The entry window will begin Thursday, March 5th at 9:00am and will end Sunday, March 8th at 9:00am. THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE TO ENTERING EARLY. ENTRIES ON THURSDAY HAVE THE SAME CHANCE OF BEING SELECTED AS ENTRIES ON SUNDAY.
    • Entrants must be 21 at time of entry.
    • One entry per person. Multiple entries, identified either by name or by email, will be discarded.
    • Entrants will be notified on Monday, March 9th.
    • Either member or his or her trustee must be available to make payment of $240 and pick up membership card and glass in the tasting room on either Thursday, March 12 or Friday, March 13 between 4:00PM and 10:00PM. Trustees must present either a photocopy or mobile photo of the member’s ID at this time.

2. Devman171

Devman171 Zealot (596) May 16, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

3. Bobb222

Bobb222 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Missouri

I would love to get a membership but the price will likely keep me out of the lottery. Not saying its a terrible deal but its on the steep side for me and I would have to work my budget around. That said, the included beer list sounds awesome and Perennial is my favorite brewery. Glad they are doing this and hope to one day be a member!

4. ddedhed

ddedhed Disciple (324) Dec 4, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

I want to enter the lottery, but I would need a proxy. Any kind BA's in St. Louis that would be interested in working something out?

5. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,243) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

Son of a....

How did I know it would get posted here??? Just kidding, it was inevitable, but I wish they would have tried to keep this local. The odds on getting in this are going to be worse than the Upland lotteries. It's kind of a shame because a few of the perks are aimed specifically at locals.

6. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (6,874) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

I read about it on a facebook beer group as well. At $240, I am very tempted to enter the lottery.

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  7. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,044) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

Looks like they took the idea from the Reserve Society from The Bruery. It seems to work for them. I'll probably take a shot at it.

8. mothman

mothman Poo-Bah (6,874) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

RS is all about selling a mass ton of beer to more people saying it is limited and what not. Then a ton of it ends up being sold on the shelves. This seems like you pay for 10 bottles of beer at a reasonable price.

9. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Poo-Bah (2,445) Feb 26, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Those beers all sound pretty tasty!

10. ZacharyIsom

ZacharyIsom Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2014 Iowa

Anybody hear back yet?

11. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Devotee (485) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Emails going out now.

12. DiscLizard

DiscLizard Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2013 North Carolina

In.

Anyone know how many memberships are being offered?

13. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,044) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

I haven't heard yet though others have. I'm fearing denial.

14. Rsqrd1

Rsqrd1 Initiate (108) Jul 10, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Looking like I didn't get in. That's okay, I wouldn't want to be part of any club that would have someone like me as a member anyway

mps likes this.
  15. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,243) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

Let me head this off at the pass.

1 - you get an email win or lose.
    2 - membership numbers were not announced, so don't ask.
    3 - don't even think about trying to get a proxy or be a proxy :wink: Whatever is left will go back through the lottery and hopefully us locals get them.

3 was a joke...kind of.

Duffmanohyeah02 likes this.
  16. Trilogy

Trilogy Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2013 California

Got the email and won, wanted to see if there was anyone local/member interested in being a proxy, shoot me a PM if interested

17. ionlion

ionlion Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2014 California

You Suck Scott! @Trilogy

18. Trilogy

Trilogy Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2013 California

@ionlion Hey you seem to get enough Perennial and SP as is lol, don't worry I'll share some

19. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Aspirant (256) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

Picked up my membership card, Apricot Funky Wit, and glass today. Tannen Rules

ionlion likes this.
  20. danh53

danh53 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 Florida

Have they released anything recently? Haven't heard anything since Maman.

21. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (478) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Same here. The last email I got was about Maman.

22. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Defender (656) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Resurrecting a dead thread. Any members here planning on attending the party? if so, what session?

23. jlsims04

Trader

Yes, second. Probably bringing some BA Pipeworks.

24. jlsims04

Trader

In other news the other part of the email was super exciting.

25. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Zealot (589) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Early session here

26. JCElaw32

JCElaw32 Initiate (59) May 16, 2013 Nebraska
    Trader

Early session for me too

27. JCElaw32

Trader

Have you guys heard rumblings that they may be doing away with the membership after this year? I've heard that from a few pretty reliable sources. Would be a dark day for us all

28. DiscLizard

DiscLizard Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2013 North Carolina

I hope they don't do away with it! It has been awesome to get my fix from NC via proxy.
    Haven't decided which session yet. Will probably have Carolina goodies in tow (fonta flora, green man, wicked weed, Westbrook, etc.)

29. jlsims04

Trader

I have herd similar. It would really suck. Being able to get the ba stuff alone was worth it. Also I feel like first right of refusal was a "perk" so it would kinda blow to see them do nothing this year.

#29 jlsims04, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  30. jlsims04

Trader

Although I wouldnt mind them tweaking it a bit. Maybe make it cost a bit less, $100 for example and throw 2 parties and toss in some swag and just give members first crack at reserving any bottles that get released.

31. JCElaw32

Trader

Yeah, I'd be down for anything. I think completely throwing it away would be a bit drastic. Hopefully the party goes off great and we all can convince them to keep Societe around

32. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Defender (656) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I certainly hope they dont do away with it. Being in Chicago, i dont get to many pick-ups myself, but having family as a proxy, i get back there at least 4 times a year and stop by the brewery every single time. Every brewery membership requires tweaking as you go along, no need to jump the gun and cancel it after the first year. I am glad they are not just putting out subpar beers to meet a timetable, but rather waiting for them to be ready. Anyway, i am gonna try and get into the early session as i need to drive (ride) back to Chicago that evening. Hope to meet yall there, i will be bringing a couple tasty bottles to share with everyone.

JCElaw32 likes this.
  33. JCElaw32

Trader

Just wanted to throw it out there that my friends and I are staying in Clayton, MO, about 3 miles from Side Project and will be sharing some nice beers Saturday during the day and possibly Sunday morning too. If anybody is looking to meet up, let me know. Cheers!

34. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (135) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Pretty positive they are doing away with the Society. Looks like we still have 3 more beers coming our way and i can't wait for the announcements. Oh and I'm finally landing the Perennial dream beer of mine!

35. Rsqrd1

Rsqrd1 Initiate (108) Jul 10, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

The biggest problem is, they don't need a club. It's extra logistics and hassle, when they'd sell out every bottle released to the club without having to have the club in the first place. More than that, call it FOMO or whatever, by doing the lottery or draw for members the way they did, they alienate people, in particular locals who are going to be there more than the 4 times a year. If you get 10x the applications than you have spots, you wind up with resentment, and there has to be enough benefit from the club members to outweigh the negative feelings you've generated from those not picked. What you want your society or mug club to do isn't sell the rare bottles, they're going to do that anyway. You want to create a community or investment that gets more people in the seats buying the draft lineup on a Tuesday because they're a club member. I don't think that happened, so I don't know why they would continue it, or they have to charge a lot more as a membership fee to make it worth their trouble.

36. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,961) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Its really too bad if they actually do away with the club, but I can imagine it hasn't been worth the hassle. I wonder if they did it just to get a quick infusion of cash up front (rather than get the same money over time) to help pay for the costs of expansion. That's the only real reason I can think of for doing it the way they have.

I'll see you guys at the early session.

37. JCElaw32

Trader

There are several "big" breweries who have had clubs for years and have managed to do so well and without alienating locals. With all of the releases, the amount set aside for Societe members has been very limited and most, if not all, are released to the public as well, even BA Abraxas.

I fully understand not wanting to piss off locals who are your bread and butter and biggest supporters but clubs/societies like these are awesome for the craft community. Let's face it, if most of us hadn't gotten into Societe, we'd never sniff getting a Maman, BA Sump, or BA Abraxas without trading a ton of beers or shelling out $300 plus on the secondary market. I guess I'm just wondering how The Bruery, Cigar City, even Brothers Brewing, are able to have well run members societies and Perennial can't or doesn't want to figure it out. To me, after year 1, figure out what worked and what didn't, make improvements and go from there. Scrapping the entire thing just seems like a bit of a cop out if they do indeed go that route

38. jlsims04

Trader

Spoke to a couple employees at the party. They said that membership would be offered again however the style would be different. No other details were given.

39. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,961) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

That's curious. I wonder if they'll do away with the guaranteed BA bottle perk. It doesn't help them much to offer that since they'll sell out of these no matter what.

40. jlsims04

Trader

I doubt they will do away with that as it was the main draw to the societe in the first place. I think we will see the removal of pre announced bottles and it will simply be your are guarenteed access to x number of beers throughout the year