Perfect "sour" for newbie; Perfect "sour" for afficianado

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GRG1313, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,904) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Society Trader

I love the "tart" styles and I gravitate to most beers with brett, lacto and all of the other yeasts and bugs that make "horse blanket" and "sour" beers what they are. My cellar is mostly wild ales, lambics, gueuze, gose, Berliner Weisse and general "farmhouse ales." I try it all but tend to drink the above.

The foregoing styles are very "in" right now. Some people who have never tried them want to and I sometimes see questions like "where should I start?" or, "what should I drink first" or "what is a good bridge beer to sours?"

Also preliminarily here, those who know me also are well aware that I taste; that is, I generally have 2-4 oz of beer and generally like tasting multiple beers at a time. I'll have a glass with dinner sometimes but truth be known, not all that much.

Now, having said all of the foregoing I've just done something I've never done. I've just finished off a 750 ml bottle of Tart Farmhouse Ale on my own within less than a half hour - and it was delicious. I could actually go for more! While I'm not all that familiar with The Commons Brewery, its MYRTLE Tart Farmhouse Ale, 5.2%abv is one of the best beers I've tasted in a very long time. I say this primarily since it's perfect for a newbie who wants to try a "sour" and it's perfect for the seasoned veteran who wants an absolutely delicious drink. Tart but not too tart; peaches, apricots, floral tones, lemon, lime, good acid, an "almost sweet" lactic character, etc. etc. This is worth a try.

Has this place been under the radar or is it just me? Are most/all of their offerings good? I'm definitely going to seek more of The Commons bottles and I'm definitely going back for more Myrtle! What else can you tell me about this brewery?

John_Beeryman and BrettHead like this.
  2. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Good to hear, I have a bottle in the fridge right now.

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  3. SackBlabbath

SackBlabbath Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2014 Kentucky

Best sours in general IMO: Evil Twin Nomader Weiss, Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge, Local Option Kentucky Common, Off Color Fierce, Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose. For starters i would say Lindemans Cuvee Rene due to accessibility.

4. hoppyman81

hoppyman81 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 California

I agree with Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge, that's the beer that really got me into the sour category. Flemish Red Ale Grand Cru, from Brouwerij Strubbe is also a great sour beer introduce someone to sours.

jakeitup and gopens44 like this.
  5. Brewventurer

Brewventurer Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2013 Tennessee

Really enjoyed Struise Weltkrieg, Upland Darksynth, and Sekura Lambic but something easier to find would be Boulevard Love Child. Sounds like Love Child #5 & #6 are going to be released in 2015. Highly recommend The Bruery Sour in the Rye, Rueuze and Tart of Darkness as well. Been trying to find some sours for my friends who don't like sours and New Belgium La Folie and Le Terroir have been well received.

6. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

The Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose (and the regular Kimmie, Yink, and the Holy Gose) are both fantastic. I second the Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge and La Folie, and throw in Rodenbach/Rodenbach Grand Cru/Rodenbach Caracter Rouge and Petrus Aged Pale as some "entry" options.

7. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (157) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Newbie: Duchesse Du Bourgogne
    Aficionado: De Garde Beaucoup Desay

8. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

I think Rodenbach Grand Cru, Anderson Valley The Kimmie, DFH Festina Peche are good starters, or at least were for me.

hoppyman81 and nuggetlover like this.
  9. jakewatt135

jakewatt135 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 Oregon

Rodenbach Grand Cru brought me into the world of sour beer and still satisfies my taste to this day. I think it is the epitome of the style and at my local shop I can pick it up for $8.50. That quality for under $10 is ridiculous

10. deschutes_fan

deschutes_fan Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California

Agree with Rodenbach Grand Cru for the entry level, it is quite fantastic.

For the higher level sour drinkers it comes down to preference, but my favorites include Fou Foune, De Garde Sours (Lucy, the boysen, beaucoup Desay, etc), Firestone Barrelworks. In general, I like the funk/fruit combinations in these beers.

GRG1313 likes this.
  11. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I have one on the counter ready to go, seeing as how I am on the very edge of newbie with sours, as Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge is my only other attempt at sours. I have also become rather intrigued by the description of Monk's Café Flemish Sour given by several reviewers. If Duchesse goes well, Monk's is my next stop.

12. nuggetlover

nuggetlover Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

The beers that "got me" into sours include those mentioned (DFH Festina Peche and Rodenbach Grand Cru), but I've recently been enjoying Destihl's Wild Sour (Here Gose Nothing) which is also excellent (and available at my local Whole Foods)

afrokaze likes this.
  13. Dansac

Trader

I think Duchesse is far, far better than Monk's Cafe. It would be a step down!

cavedave, jjwisenheimer and gopens44 like this.
  14. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Because of price/availability/(and to a degree) approachability:

Duchesse (way to acetic for me)
    Petrus Aged Pale (okay, but I'm just spoiled I guess)
    Cuvee Rene (best sour bang for your buck IMO but then again I am a know lambic lover :sunglasses:)

Oh, and for the aficionado 3F OG

Agreed, and Rouge is the best of the three! More sour and less vinegar.

neckbeardnation22 likes this.
  15. juke_cleveland

juke_cleveland Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2014 Indiana

The sour that I recommend to people who seem to be curious is Rodenbach Grand Cru. Just because I find it to be pretty excellent for price point. $10 for a 750 on average. Also Petrus puts out solid stuff for around $10 as well. Most people who try one of those comes back wanting more.

ChicagoGuy likes this.
  16. SStein

SStein Devotee (462) Dec 26, 2012 Colorado

Wow, I think pretty much everybody has missed the point of the orginal post... he was talking about a beer he felt was good for both newbies and afficianados alike. He was asking specific questions about a specific brewery and eveyone else jumped in and stated there views of their favorite sour. He was not asking for what sours are good for newbies and/or afficiandos.

17. Travis_Slovacek

Travis_Slovacek Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Pennsylvania

Agreed with Petrus, the Oud Bruin was one of my first sours and i still go back to it after trying a lot of other stuff.

frozen-1984 likes this.
  18. mungbeans

mungbeans Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Massachusetts

Rodenbach Grand Cru was my first sour. After everything I've had, its still the one I drink the most. Cheap, tasty and easily accessible.

Bubbawilly88 likes this.
  19. Mattyboombaddy

Mattyboombaddy Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2014 Wisconsin

As a newbie to sours, I can definitely vouch for Duchesse De Bourgogne.

Duchesse definitely peaked my interest in sours, I will have to try some others listed in this thread.

jjwisenheimer and frozen-1984 like this.
  20. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,247) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

The Commons is still pretty under the radar outside Oregon due to distro, but they have a good reputation locally. A fresh hop version of Myrtle is available around harvest time, highly recommended. Flemish Kiss, Urban Farmhouse and Bourbon Little Brother are also worth seeking out.

21. Phramboise

Phramboise Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2013 Kentucky

Cuvee Rene is very accessible- distribution-wise. Not sure about taste-wise. I think it would be a bit too funky for beginners. Could be wrong. Maybe something like Duchess or Rodenbach would be better?

SackBlabbath likes this.
  22. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,435) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I don't think there is beginner or advanced sours...just different degrees of awesomeness and sourness levels. Just because something is more sour and puckering doesn't mean it shoud be regarded more highly and for a more advanced pallet. Just more sour and whether you like more sour or not. Not sure it coorelates to experience drinking them.

23. WreckedPalate

WreckedPalate Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2013 Wisconsin

I have the same answer for both questions. New Glarus Very Sour Peach Ale.

JavaNoire and PseudoBen like this.
  24. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (11,443) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

As for starters mentioned by others
    Cuvee Rene
    Cuvee De Jacobins
    Rodenbach Grand Cru

For other
    Kriek De Ranke
    Cuvee De Ranke (not that sour)

25. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Oh I was fully aware, but a thread isn't owned by the OP once released into the wild. Good titles to threads are important because that is what usually gets responded to :slight_smile:

JavaNoire, cjgiant and GRG1313 like this.
  26. NewGlarusFan

NewGlarusFan Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 Illinois

New Glarus Enigma for both!

27. Dansac

Trader

Some places they have Boon Gueuze for roughly one more dollar. That's a much better deal imo. Renee is too metallic and sour.

BrettHead likes this.
  28. ronricorossi

ronricorossi Zealot (509) Jun 30, 2014 California

I know it's not exactly the most accessible beer in the world, but Russian River's Supplication is a pretty great sour to start with. Not too challenging a flavor profile, not overwhelming with its "pucker" factor.You can say the same for Temptation, too.

Sanctification and Consecration are probably sours you graduate up to.

29. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (194) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

The Commons is a good brewery up here. Mrytle is a nice lactic, fairly acidic beer, which i think really shines in their FH version due to generous amounts of freshly picked meridian hops. It really accentuates the lemon head flavor.

More about the brewery:

Its solely a European style brewery - leaning more toward light and drinkable saisons/belgians, sessionable traditional german styles, and then more limited sours. so no IPAs. Almost all of their beer falls in under 6% which is awesome - so easy to take down.

They also play with darker beers and release Baltic porters, Sticke Alts, and Belgian Strong Darks on occasion during the winter months.

They also play with barrels (mostly wine, gin, and bourbon), and add fruit and wild yeast on occasion.

In my experience (I used to live a block away) they rarely miss and they are well priced.

Bottles I would recommend (almost all of their stuff is draft):
    • Urban Farmhouse (Saison)
    • Bourbon little brother (seasonal, bourbon BSD)
    • Trillium (limited, sold out)
    • Biere Royale (seasonal, Black current sour ale)
    • and of course, Myrtle (seasonal)
    They only brew two beers all year around: Urban Farmhouse and Flemish Kiss (Brett Belgian Pale)

Oh and you don't hear about them because it exists in in the Pacific Northwest

chimneyjim, cjgiant, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  30. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Sad, but mostly true. That said, you'd think that winning several GABF and World Beer Cup awards in the last 3 years would have put them on some people's radars.

31. GRG1313

Society Trader

Love your taste! Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose is another super winner! Cuvee Rene is also a "traditional" winner almost under any standard. I'll have to seek out the others about which you make note.

32. modernvista

modernvista Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 California

the first sour that had me sold at sours was Supplication, Russian River. My mouth is watering, right now, literally. Delish.
    ..as for ease of access, my wife dislikes sours but LOVED Tumescence, Bruery/Bottle Logic.

cheers!

33. GRG1313

Society Trader

Not a problem. As the OP of this thread, the responses here have given me some names to try! Thanks.

JavaNoire and BrettHead like this.
  34. slipperysoup

slipperysoup Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2014 Illinois

Vanderghinste Oud Bruin is the best sour for a beginner, AND almost sessionable to the regular sour head....'Perfect Sour.'

35. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (194) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

You would think. But so is life in the pacific northwest.

36. Dansac

Trader

I think Rodenbach, if around, is the best overall shot for quality + accessibility.

BrettHead likes this.
  37. Dansac

Trader

I also agree that Commons - Mrytle is a great choice. Maybe a funky, slightly tart saison would be a good pick too? Something like Saizoen Bretta by Logsdon.

38. Coorsy

Coorsy Defender (684) Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I still have a hard time drinking sours. If i do, i can only tolerate a little 4oz taster. I dont think i could ever drink a full glass, let alone a 750.

If i had to pick an easier style it would be a berliner weisse. Ive only ever had Jacks Abby and NightShift BWs but those are the only ones i could see myself being able to down a full serving. Especially night shifts mainer weisse

39. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

Newbie: Rodenbach Grand Cru

Aficionado: Rodenbach Grand Cru

Remember, just as there is "hoppy vs bitter", there is "tart/funk vs sourness". The cherry flavour, refreshing acidity and sherry notes make this one of the best beers I have had.

40. crowellbw

crowellbw Aspirant (252) Dec 1, 2010 Washington

I thought Breakside's passion fruit Berliner tows the fine line of being good for beginners as well as has nuance for the experienced sour fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.