Perrin No Rules

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by RenegadeZ, Mar 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docoman

docoman (0) Nov 21, 2014 Michigan

Pretty much the same had one last night from this year's batch and had 2015 about 2 weeks ago... I get just a hint more of the coconut and cinnamon that last years, but could be because it's fresh... still very sweet and delicious though!

On side note, had to recently watch the big lebowski and never noticed this until now... see the reference multiple times to "nihilist"? another beer reference albeit Oddsides, but funny nonetheless.

2. vette-ss

vette-ss (0) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

They must have made a ton of it this year. I've seen or heard of it in many stores on the east side in fairly large quantities, and in all cases at a lower price than sold at the brewery (which seems odd). Also know that more is coming. Last year couldn't find enough of it. This year walking by it because I feel I already have enough for my own personal consumption plus a few extras to take care of out of state trading partners.

3. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Agreed. I don't think there is any doubt they made more. But the thought occurred to me that we (well, those of us down in SE MI) could be seeing the effects of a little more balanced distribution the second time around. Last batch was a ghost in Ann Arbor while I remember reading about rando small-town stores in Western MI having it on shelves weeks later. This year, I know of at least 2-3 stores that are getting it in 10 case quantities.

BEERschlitz likes this.
  4. TonyLuvsBeer

TonyLuvsBeer (444) Mar 28, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Can u elaborate on which places on the east side have it? I have found zero so far. Zetouna had it and sold out in under an hour.

5. ndpunk

ndpunk (199) Apr 30, 2015 Indiana
    Trader

Anyone know of any places in SE Michigan that still have some. I went to 8 different places in Niles and Edwardsburg yesterday and only 1 of the 8 even got any and they had sold out of it before Monday, when it was supposed to hit distribution.

6. wolfpac255

wolfpac255 (0) Apr 13, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I mean, did you really try...? You could have sucked that beer right out of the cardboard.

red94tt likes this.
  7. core42

core42 (844) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Just think about HOW much of that Kill Em All AND With Kindness there was/still is that is sitting around. In theory if they bought the same number of barrels & used them for No Rules instead of those 2 then there should be a crazy amount of it

8. MadLatvian

MadLatvian (0) Feb 8, 2015 Michigan

I'm hoping Genesee County gets some this time around. Very very scarce the last release.

9. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

After 10 hours of manual labor, I really didn't try that hard. I probably should have though; the breezeway smelled like coconut/cinnamon/bourbon when I left for work later in the evening lol (and nope, I haven't cleaned it yet as I enjoy the shit out of that aroma hah).

I was thinking the same thing (as some of my previous posts will likely show), but after reading a recent interview with one of Perrin's brewers, it appears the production was a little more than last year. The difference in this release, however, is that MOST of the beer was aged in first use barrels. Here's a link to the article:

http://mittenbrew.com/2016/03/perrin-brewing-company-released-no-rules-no-limits/

FWIW, this stuff isn't exactly sitting on shelves... It's pretty much gone already everywhere in West Michigan. I haven't tried the new release yet (nor have I had any of last year's recently); if this batch is even CLOSE to the last batch (all bottle variance aside), I'll likely be drinking a shit ton of this stuff.

10. vette-ss

Trader

Yeah, maybe my post above was misleading. It's not just sitting around on shelves....you still have to be on your beer game to get it. But at least it is hitting shelves on this side of the state this year. Very elusive last year and I had to drive to Perrin to get it. Although last year I was still able to get bottles after the release day.

11. bassfishingguy

bassfishingguy (0) Apr 19, 2014 Michigan

Saw some this morning on my way home from Grand Haven just sitting on a shelf at a gas station - So I guess I stand corrected on my previous post; it IS still sitting on some shelves in West Michigan lol. @$16.99 a bottle I may just pick a few more up...

12. vette-ss

Trader

Yeah, one of my locals got 7 cases dropped yesterday. My other store said more coming next week.

13. GingerHodor

GingerHodor (0) Apr 1, 2016 Michigan

I've heard that GB Russo's in Grand Rapids ordered 30 cases. They had a lot on the floor Wednesday, at least 10 cases, so I wouldn't be surprised. I picked up a couple bottles for $14.99 a pop.

14. ryansako

ryansako (0) Mar 21, 2015 Ohio

So much for opening this the right way later this evening. Where's the guy who bought 24 cases so I can shoot him a DM?!?

[​IMG]

...and yes, for those asking I did break out a straw. :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

15. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead (0) Feb 11, 2014 Michigan
    Deactivated

Wait, the right way to open is to smash it on the counter? I'm a confused...

16. grr32

grr32 (0) Nov 7, 2012 Michigan

It's well made but way too sweet for my tastes.

17. ryansako

Lol, I said "so much for opening this the right way"...

18. DrinktotheDead

Deactivated

ahh, when someone says "so much for" it usually means that the process failed. How the hell did you try to open it?

19. ryansako

It actually slipped out of my hand while taking it out of the bag...no idea how it ended up cutting my hand though.

20. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

Just admit it, you grabbed a piece of glass from the broken bottle, and you cut yourself with it out of frustration. Haha

ryansako likes this.
  21. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 (1,724) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I just had some on tap and I tend to agree with your comment about the sweetness. However, the beer's flavor is so good I ignored the sweetness and bought a bottle to go. Yes, it's that good.

22. Junior

Junior (0) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I was able to get a bottle of No Rules yesterday. I have never had this before. Any tips on how to best enjoy??

23. Richter525

Richter525 (0) Jun 24, 2015 Michigan

As others have mentioned, it's very sweet. I'd let it warm to a little cooler than room temp before drinking.

24. DrinktotheDead

Deactivated

oh shit, yeah I understand now. Your cut palm made it seem like it broke while opening. I thought maybe you had a defective bottle.

25. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 (503) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

Was pretty surprised when I stopped at Whole Foods in Ann Arbor after the Michigan spring football game last night and they had probably a case and a half out on the shelf. I don't want to hear you east siders complain about distro ever again :wink:

BEERschlitz and KBS like this.
  26. CD83

CD83 (0) Nov 9, 2014 Michigan

Could've bought 3 cases myself today, but the wife would've beat me down if she found out I spent hundreds of dollars on this one...so I bought 6 bottles :slight_smile:. East sider not complaining here!

Ckoz, BEERschlitz and core42 like this.
  27. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 (1,724) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I enjoyed it more when it was cold because the sweetness shows up as it warms. If you like sweet beers, then just reverse my recommendation. (But it's a great tasting beer even when it's sweet.)

28. HoorayMichBeer

HoorayMichBeer (0) Sep 21, 2015 Michigan

Must live to far East, still have not seen any in Macomb County.

Gemini6 likes this.
  29. amalburg

amalburg (0) Jan 7, 2014 Michigan

Macomb County sadness...

Gemini6 likes this.
  30. Ckoz

Ckoz (330) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

She's not your wife yet! You still had a chance!

BEERschlitz and CD83 like this.
  31. CD83

Close enough man, close enough.

BEERschlitz likes this.
  32. Brianw508

Brianw508 (0) Apr 29, 2013 Michigan

you'll start seeing it possibly today, but definitely this week. the distributor picked it up thursday and it's available for delivery. i'm getting my allotment tomorrow

33. mcomben

mcomben (0) Dec 2, 2008 Michigan

Just keep em in the back of your car with the rest of the beer you're hiding there :wink:...although you may need to upgrade the suspension in back if you keep that up.

CD83 likes this.
  34. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN (0) Apr 6, 2011 Michigan

Open bottle...put contents in mouth

35. CD83

I was going to suggest rimming the glass with an orange slice, but I see you just got to the point.

BEERschlitz likes this.
  36. Junior

Junior (0) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Jonna's Market in Howell had 4-5 cases on the floor today.

fishtremble likes this.
  37. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark (205) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

If you missed this, and want to try it, the Woodshop in Clarkston MI has it on tap (as of last night) - $12 for a snifter.
    I tried it and it was a little over the top for me.
    Didn't finish my snifter and moved on to 98 problems and a stout whose name I don't recall

38. ryansako

Whole Foods also had it on tap (last Sunday) - $10/10oz. Couple cases behind the bar as well. Limit one per customer @$14.99/bottle.

39. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr (464) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I purchased 2 bottles of No Rules today and left 6 behind in the GR area. If any ba is interested to know where, pm me and I'll fill you in.

40. theonegman

theonegman (0) Apr 11, 2016 Michigan

Jonnas in howell had a ton about a week ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.