Latin America Peru - Craft Beer - Barranco Beer Company

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by Drempc, May 6, 2013.

1. Drempc

Drempc Initiate (0) May 6, 2013

As a home brewer and craft brew lover it has always difficult when I would go to visit my family in Peru and not be able to enjoy beer of quality and craft.
    The Pilsen, Cristal and Cusqueña that are offered were ok to have one or two on a hot day but never really satisfied my craving for something really delicious.

Over the last two years traveling to Peru I have seen little rays of hope. In the Barranco market place I met an American selling beers in a bottle that I had never seen before. There were beers from "Sierra Andina Brewery" made in the mountains of Huaraz, Peru by an American that moved there with his family. Also around the same time I tried a hoppy red ale from "Barbarian" made in La Molina in Lima from a small nano brewery that popped up Nov 2011 by a few twenty somethings that were tired with the same ol beer.

This year seems to be the year that craft beer hits Peru by storm. I have seen that there is a new Brewery/ Brew Pub opening up in the Bohemian district of Barranco - Lima called "Barranco Beer Company" and it looks like it's going to be pretty big.

https://www.facebook.com/BarrancoBeerCompany

I've heard it'll be opening up June 2013 so this makes me very excited! No more watered down, flavorless beers.
    [​IMG]
    They brew house has 15 hectoliter tanks as well!

[​IMG]

Can't wait to go to Peru again!

2. pedrufa

pedrufa Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2007 Brazil

I am going to visit Peru next September and I surely will go after Barranco and Barbarian. And Chicha, of course :)

3. jcb7472

jcb7472 Devotee (495) Jul 13, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

This is awesome news! My wife is from Peru and I have been 4 times previously and we plan to go back for another visit in early 2014. Each time I've been, I usually end up drinking Cusquena or Pilsen (the wife's favorite). As you said, they are OK on a hot day but get boring quick. What I usually do is have 2 or 3 pisco sours first, then just drink Pilsen or Cusquena for the rest of the night and they are decent.

I have heard about Sierra Andina and that they are available in Lima and plan to seek them out. Barranco seems like a great place for a brewpub, as that is one of the best districts to go out at night, because there are a lot of cool bars and clubs there that stay open very late.

One place where I did see some good beer while I was there, but didn't buy because they were expensive (like 11 soles for a 500 ML) was at Vivanda, an upscale grocery store in Miraflores. It's kind of like Whole Foods. They had some nice Belgian and German imports, but they were way overpriced.

4. jcb7472

Beer Trader

Any updates? Has anyone been to Barranco Beer Company and can review the place and their beers? Thanks.

5. Drempc

Drempc Initiate (0) May 6, 2013

It looks like they have had a few events and opened the doors this last Friday and Saturday. I wrote to them and they said that they would be opening this coming Thursday, Sept 26th - Saturday, Sept 28. Here is a picture from their facebook page of their 50 Fifti Lager. Apparently they have a fruity Red Ale as well. Check out their facebook page here : https://www.facebook.com/BarrancoBeerCompany

[​IMG]

6. pedrufa

Barranco opened a week after I came back from Peru :(

But Barbarian brews are very good, Sierra Andina are solid if not awesome and Cumbres has a very interesting (and tasty) kolsch brewed with quinoa. Didnt try their IPA with maiz morada, unfortunately :(

jcb7472 likes this.
  7. flying_dutchman

flying_dutchman Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Ecuador

Last time I was in Lima, I visited the dragonfly hostel in miraflores as they have a micro-brewery going on now a days. They have a blonde, amber and porter of which I tried both the amber and the porter both of which were delicious. :) If you want to visit the dragonfly hostel for their brews, you can find them on lonelyplanet, when you get there there is a bakery on the corner. To the right of that is the door leading to the dragonfly hostel. It was quite hard to find the first time I went there, as the door does not have any big signs. If you are not a guest at the hostel you will be required to leave your passport with the reception for the duration of your stay.

flying_dutchman.

jcb7472 likes this.
  8. jcb7472

Beer Trader

Wow, that looks cool! I am planning to visit Lima again in 2014 so I will be sure to check that out. Here is their website in case anyone else is interested. Thanks for the tip, flying_dutchman!

http://www.dragonflyhostels.com/ind...da566c25293f=049aa44f8a236049a0323f317d30c1ed

9. flying_dutchman

You're welcome :) spent quite some time finding all the good places in Lima... There are also quite some bars that sell craft beers from a local brewery that only sells through said bars. Have to check up which bars those were again.

**update**
    It was barbarians brew they sell there, here is the name and address:
    Cañas y Tapas
    Gral Borgoño 149 Miraflores

flying_dutchman

jcb7472 likes this.
  10. flying_dutchman

oh another craft brewery in Lima:
    Restaurante y Casa Cervecera "De Tomas"
    Av. Agustín La Rosa Toro Nº1151
    San Borja
    Lima 41 - Perú

flying_dutchman

jcb7472 likes this.
  11. pedrufa

I failed to tell the same: I stayed at Dragonfly both at Lima and their hostel in Cusco. Yann - the owner - brews the Dragonfly beers at Cusco (belgian styled, since he is from France) and they had the belgian pale ale avaiable at both cities during my stay. They also sell Barbarian, Sierra Andina and Cumbres for the cheapest price I've seen in Peru (around 8-9 soles the bottle).

Canas Y Tapas is also very good, but pricier. They had Barbarian on tap (and it was good, specially the IPA) for 16-20 soles the pint.

jcb7472 likes this.
  12. aleszu

aleszu Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2012 Massachusetts

Awesome. Check out Cumbres in Peru. I've met the brewers (one of them at CBC this year) and they're doing some cool things with native ingredients.

jcb7472 likes this.
  13. shivtim

shivtim Meyvn (1,222) Sep 4, 2005 Georgia

Just got back from a trip to Peru. The Lima Rugby Restobar (417 Calle San Martin in Miraflores) has two Barbarian beers on tap, plus bottles of Cumbres. The Barbarian IPA was really good.
    I briefly looked for Barranco Beer Company, but couldn't find it. Our hotel was farther north just off Ave Grau, so I think we just didn't walk far enough south to find it.
    I also heard about a new brewery called Cerveceria Aldon, but I didn't find any of their beers.

Congrats to Lima and Peru for getting some good beer! Cusquena and Pilsen Callao weren't cutting it. :)

pedrufa and jcb7472 like this.
  14. aleszu

aleszu Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2012 Massachusetts

Awesome shivtim. Yes, I've had the Barbarian IPA, hoppiest thing in South America outside of Brazil. How were the Cumbres beers? Btw check out my instagram @BeerWriter for more photos
    Cheers!

jcb7472 likes this.
  15. shivtim

shivtim Meyvn (1,222) Sep 4, 2005 Georgia

^I only tried Cumbres purple corn beer, and it was good. The Lima beer scene seems to be on the up-and-up.

16. pedrufa

I regret a lot not trying Cumbres IPA with Maiz Morada :(

(in my defense, I thought I was going to find it in Cusco)

17. AAlchemist

AAlchemist Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Anyone know of Any beer Scene in Arequipa? I've been looking around to see what i can find while i'm down here for a few weeks and im having a hard time trying to find a brewery or a good bottle shop.

18. jcb7472

Beer Trader

I haven't been to Arequipa but I follow Sierra Andina Brewing on Facebook and hope to try them next trip to Peru. In December they postes this so maybe try to find Sierra Andina there?

Sierra Andina has arrived in Arequipa!!! Many thanks to the support and initiative of Javier Chavez Sierra Andina craft beer is available in Chaqchao Organics Chocolate
    The store is located at:
    Calle Santa Catalina 204, Peru Arequipilla –(054) 234572
    Hurry there today!!

19. AAlchemist

AAlchemist Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Thank you SOOOOO MUCH! Ive been here for a week (granted i haven't had time to get out with work) but its hard getting off work and not having a beer! I brought 7 with me but they are thinning out quickly.

20. JulioH

JulioH Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Florida

I just got back from Peru and the craft movement is starting to blossom there. In Lima, I was able to visit the aforementioned Barranco Beer Co. They have a huge space, currently brew beers (ales) and also serve bottles of Belgian beer (which is the fad in Lima). As an option to the three main Peruvian brands, the arrival of BBC is good.

However, I would put my money on Cañas y Tapas. Currently there are four "big" craft brewers in Peru: Sierra Andina, Barbarian, Cumbres and Maddock, all available at Cañas y Tapas, on bottle and draft. If you are trying to find some "real" craft beers, try those breweries because they use native ingredients and flavors. Also, these beers are available at a few restaurants, the gourmet type, but to find who serves what is difficult. The same applies to some gourmet markets, some carry those beers but distribution is slow and shelves stay empty. A note about Sierra Andina, they have a taproom located at 5-7 hours away from Lima, but I don't know about making the trip on a time constraint.

Outside of Lima, there is basically no craft beer bars. Dragonfly hostel in Cusco homebrews, the same applies to their location in Lima, although I didn't get to try them. The best way to score some craft beer outside of Lima is at gourmet restaurants.

Here are some links, in Spanish:
    http://www.sierraandina.com/Sierra_Andina/Home.html
    http://www.barbarian.pe/index.php
    https://es-la.facebook.com/pages/Cerveza-Cumbres/463086613760443

jcb7472 likes this.
  21. alaschneid

alaschneid Initiate (0) May 14, 2014 Peru

Hello everybody and to all beer lovers in Peru,
    For your information the brewer of Dragonfly (Yann Lemaire) has launched his own craft brewery in Lima. It is called Nuevo Mundo Cerveceria and is located in Surquillo.
    Nuevo Mundo Cervecería will sell their beers in bottle and will be available in a lot of restaurants and bars in Lima and Cusco.
    The first beers will be sold starting mid june 2014 and will include:
    • Coriander Golden Ale
    • Belgian Pale Ale
    • Amber Ale
    • Porter
    • Belgian triple
    The brewery will organize guided visits every week.
    More information on www.nuevomundocerveceria.com or www.facebook.com/NuevoMundoCerveceria

cyrushire and jcb7472 like this.
  22. JulioH

23. Dodgerrigo77

Dodgerrigo77 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 California

Maddok Capsicum IPA is an excellent IPA by Maddok Cerveza Artesanal on tap at Cańas y Tapas

jcb7472 likes this.
  24. Dodgerrigo77

Dodgerrigo77 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 California

Ceres Chocolate by Maddok also great!

25. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (3,795) Feb 11, 2009 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I didn't find much worth drinking when I was in Peru, I'm glad I might have some options when I get back down there.

26. Alieniloquium

Alieniloquium Poo-Bah (5,248) Dec 16, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

After doing quite a bit of hunting, I found a large variety of bottles at Garaje Gourmet. They had Sierra Andina, Barbarian, Cumbres, and one I hadn't heard of before, Amarilis.

Also, Nuevo Mundo's website says that they do bottle sales on Fridays and Saturdays for a couple hours, but I went during those hours and I couldn't find any open businesses. It's in a warehouse area and nothing was well-marked.

I did find Nuevo Mundo beers at Cañas y Tapas, which seems to be the place to go to find these beers.

I visit Peru a lot and usually my body appreciates the break as there hasn't ever been any good beer to drink, but this new craft beer movement is quite an explosion that I had not anticipated. When I explain to relatives here that I'm hunting new beers from small breweries, they simply don't understand what that could mean. They say things like, "You mean Tres Cruces?" or "Have you tried Budweiser?" It will be interesting to see how it develops when the general public begins to understand the concept.

jcb7472 likes this.
  27. jcb7472

Beer Trader

I love going to Peru about once a year with my wife to visit her family but the one thing I get tired of is the beer. There is only so much Pilsen, Cusquena, etc I can drink. Really looking forward to my next trip later this year or in January/Feb (hoping to buy tickets soon). They already have the best food and now you can get good quality beer - this is awesome news and thanks for the tips on where to go..

28. JulioH

Can't wait for some exports from Peru. Barbarian and Cumbres are certainly worth the shelf space. Sierra Andina, not so sure ...

29. cyrushire

cyrushire Crusader (715) May 25, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Same situation here. Can't wait to drag my wife to Nuevo Mundo.

30. jcb7472

Beer Trader

Any updates for Lima? My wife and I are headed there Oct 31 - Nov 6 and plan to visit some of the breweries and bars recommended. It's amazing how much has popped up since I was there 3 years ago and all I drank was pisco sours and Cusquena/Pilsen. Can't wait to try some Peruvian craft beers...

31. El_Pinguino

El_Pinguino Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 Angola

I can attest to the guys at Dragonfly making solid beers. When I was in Lima I tried to visit Cañas y Tapas but it was annoyingly closed, despite supposed to be open. I thought Cumbres beers were great too.

32. jcb7472

Beer Trader

Just got back from Lima yesterday. I didn't have a chance to make it to Canas y Tapas but I did find a few craft beers.

The first night I was there we went out in Barranco and visited Barranco Beer company. I tried their Bulls Aye Red Saison and Presidente Weiss Hefe. Both were decent. Also tried a sip of my cousin's Fifti Lager (pilsner). That was OK as well. I thought their beers were nothing special but I would totally visit this place in Barranco over spots that only carry the usual (Cusquena, Pilsen, Cristal). The venue is very cool too. They have about 20 different beers available, nice food menu, and the place is like 4 or 5 floors including a rooftop terrace. They have a nice setup. You can get flights as well as purchase growlers to go.

The second night my wife's friend introduced me to her friend's husband, an American guy from Michigan now living in Lima. He is brewing craft beer out of a warehouse in Miraflores. The brand is called Teach. I was at his apartment and tried his Teach Limited Edition IPA, Teach Black IPA and Teach Old Ale. They were pretty solid. He said you can get his beers at Canas y Tapas.

Later that night we went to Victoria Bar in Barranco and they had Barbarian and Maddok beers. I had the Barbarian IPA and Maddok Chocolate Ale. Didn't really like the Barbarian IPA but we think they needed to clean their keg lines.

The next day I was at Vivanda (grocery store in Lima) and they had Barbarian beers on sale for 8 soles each 12 oz bottle. Kind of expensive for a sale but craft beer in general is not cheap in Lima at all. I grabbed 2 of each: Barbarian Lima Pale Ale, Barbarian Red Ale, and Barbarian Cha Ski Porter. All of these were actually pretty good.

Despite the high prices, drinking Barbarian is much better than drinking Pilsen or Cusquena which I did a lot of because my relatives and in-laws kept buying it and taking me to places where that's all they served. I did try the Cusquena Red (Oktoberfest) which was actually OK as well as the Cusquena Triga (Wheat). At least Cusquena is trying to branch out a little. Cusquena also has a special reserve/edition type beer made with quinoa but I didn't buy it.

I was looking for Nuevo Mundo and Cumbres around but couldn't find them. They didn't have any craft beers at 2 different Wong's (grocery store) I visited.

Last night in town I visited a Tottus (grocery store) and they had Sierra Andina Don Juan porter (9.90 Soles) on the shelf. I got one to try but wish I had grabbed more despite the price. Pretty good stuff. This was my favorite beer that I had in Peru.

Most of the grocery stores have some European craft beers (Belgian, German, UK) but they are way overpriced and I can get those in the US so I didn't bother. Some of the stores have Chilean craft beer too called Kunstmann (several varieties). Did not sample.

Salud!

Redrover likes this.
  33. jcb7472

Beer Trader

Also while I was there my brother in law visited the Cusco region. He just happened to be in Urubamba, which is about 1-1.5 hours driving from Cusco, and attended the grand opening of Cerveceria del Valle Sagrado (Sacred Valley Brewery). They were started by 2 Americans from Oregon and a Peruvian guy. He said their beers were really good, especially their organic coffee stout. More info here:

https://www.facebook.com/cerveceriadelvalle

34. john0721

john0721 Zealot (543) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Subscriber

Kicking this thread in hopes of starting a discussion on good beer in Peru.

Headed to Lima in two weeks and I'm interested in any tips from American's that have recently traveled there. Or Peruvians involved in the growing craft beer industry there.

I haven't been to Peru in about five years. Back than good beer was something I had to work hard to find. I could find some good German beers and the occasional Belgian beer.. But nothing local that was very impressive.

I've read that this has changed. I would love to hear from fellow BA's that have traveled to Peru in recent years what they think of the state of brewing in Peru.

35. jmarcello

jmarcello Initiate (128) Dec 19, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I just went to peru in november 2015 and we hit up four breweries. Dragonfly Hostel in Cusco, Sacred Valley Brewing outside of Cusco, and in Lima - Neuvo Mundo and Barranco. Barbarian wasn't open the day we were in Lima.
    Sacred Valley was definitely our favorite, the owner opened up just for us. My avatar pic is from their rooftop. We got drunk for like $6 each and then hiked the inca trail the next day! Dragonfly isn't much of a brewery, more of a 10 gallon homebrew setup. But it's owned by the Neuvo Mundo owner and has all their bottles. Neuvo Mundo has a bar not located at the actual production brewery, but i think you could walk to it. It was really cool and they serve other local beers. Barranco has a cool space too, it looks like it would be a huge dance club at night. It was dead on a monday afternoon. We thought the beers at barranco were kind of middle of the road, no standouts. We walked between Neuvo and Barranco, took about 30 min i think.
    The beer culture in Peru is very much on the rise. All the owners seem to know each other and do stuff together. It's still hard for them to get good equipment and supplies. Peru as an abundance of grains, but aren't able to malt them so they end up importing almost everything. There are however a lot of local flavor influences like coca leaves, wide varieties of corn and chicha morada. let me know if you have any specific questions and enjoy your trip!

Karpdevil, mdaschaf and john0721 like this.
  36. john0721

Subscriber

Thanks for the response.

I won't be going to Cusco, the Sacred Valley or Machu Picchu this trip. Great place to visit though.

It will be mostly in Lima visiting my wife's family.

I've been to Peru many times, but haven't been there since 2011. I've heard that local brewing has picked up since than.
    I'm going to try to hit Barranco, and maybe Canas y Tapas ( a bar in Mia Flores ).

I love the idea of using local ingredients. Peru has so many great ingredients that are difficult to get in the states.

I'm tempted to bring a bottle of Black Tuesday with me to share with my family to show them how far the boundaries of beer have expanded.

Karpdevil likes this.
  37. jmarcello

jmarcello Initiate (128) Dec 19, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I would like this page on FB - https://www.facebook.com/CerveceriasPeruanas/
    It's the organization of all the local brewers and they post stuff about everyone. There's even an event on Feb 5th if you're there then.

Definitely hit up the Neuvo Mundo bar, it's also in Miraflores. They sell everyone else's bottles too. I'll try to post some pics soon, really nice place.

If anyone has sacred valley on draft, we thought that was the best beer in the country overall. their brewer apprenticed at Russian River, so he knows his shit. They do not bottle, but maybe kegs make it to lima.

And we didn't make it here, but it looked like a cool bar near barranco with their own beer - https://www.facebook.com/MoustacheRestoBar/

Karpdevil, jcb7472 and john0721 like this.
  38. john0721

Subscriber

Wow! Right by Parque Kennedy. That wasn't there the last time I was in Peru. I'll have to check this out.

Thanks. Good tip.

39. brewhammer

brewhammer Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Visited Barranco Beer Factbory in and again in May, 2015. Best beer I could find in Lima, and the lunch specials were also dry well-prepared. Highly recommended.

40. john0721

Subscriber

In the end, I went to Canas y Tapas. Neuvo Mundo was closed the day I was in Miraflores. But I was able to try some of their beers at Canas y Tapas. I liked Neuvo Mundo's Premium Triple in particular.

I'll definitely be visiting Canas y Tapas again in future trips to Peru. They have a great line up of Peruvian beers.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.