Pick your fav from a few of the big craft brewers.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PourMore, May 27, 2016.

?

Of the following 10 breweries, which is your favorite?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2016.
  1. Ballast Point

15 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. Bell's

38 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Deschutes

23 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Dogfish Head

21 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Founders

105 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. Lagunitas

29 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. New Belgium

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  8. Sam Adams (Boston Beer Co)

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Sierra Nevada

68 vote(s)
    19.9%
  10. Stone

37 vote(s)
    10.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

Although i like pretty much every brewery on that list, it has to be Founders for me. Breakfast stout, KBS, Sumatra Mountain,Imperial stout, backwoods bastard and Founders Porter are 6 of the best beers ive ever had, all from 1 brewery!!Sierra Nevada not far behind but Founders edges it for me.

2. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,456) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Founders! Others on that list don't even come close.

Gaddabble likes this.
  3. hillind

hillind Aspirant (286) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

Picked Stone with SN a close second. When it comes down to overall lineup I'd take Victory or Troegs over the rest of that list though

StoneBrewing likes this.
  4. aufie

aufie Aspirant (250) Sep 8, 2014 Texas

And arguably for the best prices on the market. In terms of the price-to-quality ratio, I would be willing to wager that Sierra Nevada takes the cake every time.

5. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (301) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

That was a tough decision. I went with Founders, mainly because they hit high marks across many styles. For me, Deschutes is a very close second, just not quite as fond of their bigger beers as compared to Founders.

I really admire Sierra Nevada for their variety and affordability. However, just for my tastes, I always seem to be able to find a brand I like a bit better in a given style.

6. Topperclaus13

Topperclaus13 Initiate (59) Jan 5, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I chose Sierra Nevada. I enjoy Deschutes and Bells, but I cannot really get them around me so, ya. I think if I was more into stouts, I may go Founders. Am I the only one that doesn't understand Stone? I have tried various IPA's of theirs and I am never anywhere close to impressed.

PatrickCT likes this.
  7. Hoos78

Hoos78 Disciple (301) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I will say that I cited Founders for their quality across several styles. That said, they are particularly lacking in the lager styles. I guess that is a reflection on my current tastes and which beers I tend to reach for. A poster above suggested that Founders Porter may be tops for its style...perhaps. I would also suggest that FBS is still as good of a coffee stout as I've had.

I guess if the OP had asked for our opinion for best as opposed to favorite, the results could be different.

TongoRad likes this.
  8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I picked Bell's over Founders and Deschutes (which I've visited only once), because those are the only breweries in the list that I've visited and I am considering the poll's question on a broad basis. Bell's tap list is always very extensive with a wide variety of style offerings, but Founders seems inconsistent in that regard and Deschutes' tap list really didn't impress me on my only visit to the Portland pub.

9. GameOfBeers

GameOfBeers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

I went Founders. Too tough to really call though. I could have gone SN or Stone also.

10. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

rgordon likes this.
  11. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,355) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good topic. I eliminated BBC and New Belgium immediately (too many "rounded off edges" to their beers, for lack of a better term), then cut DFH (not because they do bad or boring stuff, their "flagships" don't stack up quite as well vs some of the others). Then it gets difficult.

After a significant amount of thought and analysis (at least 17 seconds worth), I selected Founders. Probably because I had KBS last night.

So shoot me.

VABA and HopliteMpls612 like this.
  12. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Tough one, I struggled between Bells, Founders and Sierra Nevada...I would probably throw Deschutes in there, if they distributed to SC

13. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Deschutes (but dammit I wish they would start canning!). Got me into good beer in the first place, even cheaper than SN around here (mostly), and love every one of their offerings. Hard to put SN behind them, but it's a very close second. Founder's came late to the game here in California. I do love their beers, but just lack the long term relationship. Cheers!

VABA and BBThunderbolt like this.
  14. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (1,948) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Founders because of availability, quality and varity

15. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Was a real horse race between SN and Deschutes, but ultimately went with Deschutes.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  16. ssam

ssam Aspirant (284) Dec 2, 2008 California

I said Lagunitas. If we are talking year-round offerings or overall quality SN probably would win. But let's be honest, most of us have already drunk enough of the flagships for all these breweries. The one-hitter series from Lagunitas is out of the park every time. I know I can get reliable quality from any of these breweries' normal offerings, but in general I don't. I get the interesting new stuff coming out of Lagunitas instead.

17. Homers_Beer_Odyssey

Homers_Beer_Odyssey Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2014 New York

Knee friggin' Deep, dude!

18. Ericness

Ericness Devotee (415) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

Lagunitas, but it was a tough choice. My love of Lucky 13 tipped the scales in their favor.

19. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,381) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

OK, you hooked me, so I looked at the list.

Looking at just the top 16 craft brewers (top 16 gets you to DFH, the smallest brewer in the OP's list), he does not include Yuengling, Gambrinus, Minhas, Brooklyn, Firestone Walker, Oskar Blues, and Duvel Moortgat. Some of that may be due to distribution, since the OP does qualify it as those he is familiar with. He also includes Founders, which the BA says is no longer a craft brewer (and presumably, Lagunitas will fall off the craft list next year).

20. hopnado

hopnado Devotee (417) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

That's a bit dramatic

I'll take Bell's and Deschutes over Founders based on their IPAs

21. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,456) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Oh yeah? Look at the poll! I'll take Founders over any of those based on their dark beers. Breakfast Stout, Imperial Stout, Sumatra Mountain Brown, KBS, Backwoods Bastard and Porter.

22. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

So I get the "rules" that the BA has, but when Founders is not considered a craft brewer, then candidly, the BA loses credibility in my eyes--not that the BA cares. And, yes I realize that doesn't mean they don't make craft beer.

And I answered SN for the poll.

#102 surfcaster, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  23. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (230) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

Interesting there are over 300 votes and not single one for New Belgium! Figure some Lips of Faith fan would throw them a bone.

24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,569) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Some of the posts in this thread reminded me of a saying that the ancient Romans would use: De gustibus non disputandum est ("In matters of taste, there can be no disputes").

Vote for which brewery you like and drink the beers you like.

Cheers!

25. HopliteMpls612

HopliteMpls612 Disciple (305) Aug 31, 2015 Minnesota

I went with Sierra Nevada as and all around pick, but I would be as good as dead if I could no longer have Bell's Two Hearted. Man, I love that stuff!!

26. gonzo000

gonzo000 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Massachusetts

Good topic... Tough choice between Lagunitas, Stone and Founders for me.

27. Whey2Hoppy

Whey2Hoppy Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2016 New Jersey

Out of those, definitely Founders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.