Germany Pics of your German (-style) (home-)brews

Discussion in 'Europe' started by herrburgess, May 11, 2013.

1. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I know I enjoy seeing Tony's (and others') pics of the beers he's drinking: homebrewed, from Stahlsturm's stash, or otherwise. Anyone interested in posting pics of the German or German-style beer they may be drinking, brewing, etc.? I posted these in other threads, but will re-post here to start off (and since it's a more appropriate place):

Classic Koelsch (this one is a great attempt to get close to a Malzmuhle and/or Paeffgen; I really think we've nailed this recipe. Bright and crisp with a hint of sulfur and a nice earthy/floral Hallertau hop finish):

[​IMG]

Bamberg Rauchbier (this is the first attempt on the 30-gallon system; I think we need to make some slight tweaks (dialing down the CaraMunich II just a bit, e.g.), but I'm amazed at how drinkable (and crystal clear) it is after just 5 weeks. Was going for something between Spezial and Schlenkerla, and I'm very happy with the color, head, and smokiness...dang, it's smoky!).

[​IMG]

Next up, a Prague black lager in the vein of U Fleku. Going to try and use 55# of Weyermann's new Bohemian Dark Floor-Malted malt and some dehusked carafa and hopped with Saaz.

If we can get those three beers nailed, the Bierdeckel -- and the beers -- may go into commercial production...well, when we both retire in 20 years that is. Prost!

Pegli and Gutes_Bier like this.
  2. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I don't homebrew but I'm looking forward to these photos!

3. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Post any German beers, not just homebrew. You must have some of the Spezial, oder? However, I am looking for Jack to post some pics of his Kate's Koelsch...k'mon, dude.

4. Gutes_Bier

The Spezial pictures didn't turn out so great, which is why I ended up posted a picture of the box they were delivered in. Funny story, though, because you're hitting on a nerve. I agreed to split the case with my wife. As it is, I have gone over my share of the allotment. She does not drink more than a beer or two each week, so her share, or at least some of it, is still in our pantry. It is just sitting there gathering dust, quietly approaching it's best-before date, and I can't do a thing about it.

In the spirit of the thread, though, I will post a picture that (I think?) I haven't posted before. This beer, if entered into a homebrew competition, would win last place.

[​IMG]

herrburgess likes this.
  5. Gutes_Bier

In honor of the OP:

[​IMG]

herrburgess and LBerges like this.
  6. LBerges

LBerges Feb 14, 2010 Germany

One of my all time favourites
    [​IMG]

7. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Dang. Can't see image.

8. Gutes_Bier

Me neither!

9. boddhitree

boddhitree Apr 13, 2008 Germany

herrburgess likes this.
  10. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Was thinking more homebrew pics...even though you may prefer the Pax beers ;)

11. boddhitree

[​IMG]

My Nutella stout... ask Stahlsturm for a review.

herrburgess likes this.
  12. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Well so much for thinking Nutella would kill the head retention.

boddhitree likes this.
  13. boddhitree

The anti-dote to Fernsehbier: my homebrew... Axis & Allies IPA, and mix of German & Belgian malts, British yeast and American hops... the best beer I've ever made!

[​IMG]

14. boddhitree

Nutella isn't in the beer. In the boil, I threw in cocoa powder, vanilla beans and chopped hazelnuts. In 2ndary, I put in extracts (soaked in vodka) of cocoa beans, vanilla beans and chopped hazelnuts. Those are the 3 ingredients of Nutella, hence "Nutella" stout.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  15. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Did it work?

16. boddhitree

Great beer... not too chocolaty, but still noticable...hints of hazelnuts and vanilla,... very creamy beer. Great flavor. Very hard for me to define the exact flavor, but everyone loves it.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  17. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Mar 21, 2005 Germany

I don't know who else besides Tony and me had it but I can assure you, it worked. It's not something I could drink by the bucket but that was never the intention and it's very yummy :)

boddhitree and sergeantstogie like this.
  18. Gutes_Bier

Boddhitree, if your Cissy clone works out OK I'd love to try it. I'm only an hour or so away from the FFM Hbf and I promise not to show up at 8:15 am.

19. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Mar 21, 2005 Germany

You can show up there any time, just bring a case of (good Bavarian) beer :p

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  20. boddhitree

A case of Bavarian beer is quite persuasive.

I have some really cool news. Andreas Seufert wrote me back yesterday when I asked him via email what percentages of malts, especially Rauchmalz, he used in his Cissy IPA.
    Got that? So last night I couldn't sleep thinking about this and used BeerSmith to make 2 recipes. The 1st is basically a straight recipe from the instructions in the email, and the 2nd is... unfortunately, I don't have all those ingredients on hand and order online takes a week, I want to brew it this weekend, so here are my substitutions for what's in my inventory. Strangely, I'm out of Hallertauer hops, and sadly don't have Cascade or Saphir on hand. Also, I don't have the capacity to do all grain, which leads me to sub DME and I add a bit of a Brit. malt to provide diastatic power of enzymes.
    This is for a 30 L batch. I can resize it and change it to imperial measurements if anyone wants.

Pilsner malt: 4.34 kg
    Münchner malt: 3.9 kg
    Rauch malt: 0.45 kg
    Carafa Dunkel (I have Weyermann's Carafa Special II): 0.36 kg

Hallertauer @ 60 min.s: 140 g
    Hallertauer @ 10 min.s: 36 g

Saphir @ whirlpool: 100 g
    Cascade @ whirlpool: 100 g

Saphir @ dryhop: 160 g
    Cascade @ dryhop: 80 g
    Again, a 30 L batch.

DME: 3.45 kg
    Münchner malt: 2.2 kg (all I presently have in stock) = 21%
    Melanoidin malt: 1.333 kg = 12.7%
    Vienna malt: 0.42 kg = 4%
    Pale Malt-Halcyon Thomas Fawcett: 1 kg = 9.5%
    Rauch malt: 0.533 kg = 5%
    Carafa Special II (Weyermann): 0.42 kg = 4%

Northern brewer @ 60 min.s: 100 g
    Northern brewer @ 10 min.s: 50 g
    Chinook @ whirlpool: 100 g
    Summit @ whirlpool: 100 g
    Northern brewer @ dryhop: 60 g
    Citra @ dryhop: 120 g

Whatcha think of it?

herrburgess and Gutes_Bier like this.
  21. Gutes_Bier

I don't home brew and so I don't know what any of it means, but I am looking forward to hearing about it!

22. Gutes_Bier

Add: I also think it was really cool of Herr Seufert to respond with such detailed instructions.

23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

Tony, you have an interesting recipe there. I have never brewed with Melanoidin Malt so I can’t properly comment on whether the malt mix of Munich (21%) + Melanoiden (12.7%) + Vienna (4%) + Pale Malt (9.5%) = Munich Malt (43%) but it seems like a reasonable guess?

Some comments on your hopping schedule:

I have never brewed with Summit hops. They reputedly can provide dank flavors/aromas that some folks perceive as onion. I personally would not use this hop for late hopping (whirlpool in your recipe).

You have 6 ounces of dry hopping for an 8 gallon batch. That is more hops than I use to dry hop my IPAs (I typically use 1.5 – 2 ounces for a 5 gallon batch). I personally would not use so much for dry hopping. Also, Citra is the most potent aroma hop that I have ever used. Based upon my experiences, the 4 ounces of Citra for your 8 gallon batch would provide an overwhelming aroma (too much!).

I have never used Northern Brewer for dry hoping (I typically use that hop as a bittering hop). I am uncertain what aroma you will get with that hop.

I suppose my suggestion would be to eliminate the Summit at the whirlpool and only use the Chinook. For dry hopping maybe only use Citra and back it down to 2-3 ounces?

Good luck with your Cissy clone. It is great that Andreas Seufert got back to you!

Cheers!

Jack

P.S. Which yeast strain do you intend to use?

boddhitree likes this.
  24. spartan1979

spartan1979 Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

Here is my clone of Faust's Schwarzviertler:

[​IMG]

It came out pretty well although I haven't had the original. But we will be correcting that in October when we spend two days in Miltenberg.

steveh, boddhitree and herrburgess like this.
  25. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Aug 28, 2009 Oregon

I may not be in Germany, but it just so happens I have a German style Hefeweizen fermenting right now. Simple recipe is 60% wheat, 40% pilsner (1.050 OG), a little hallertau, and some White Labs 300 (Weihenstephaner) to ferment. Really looking forward to this one.

[​IMG]

26. boddhitree

Have you read my review of the original? It was a wow beer for me. Does yours come close to my description? If not, I'd love to hear what yours tastes like. Did you use the recipe from BYO? That's where I read about the beer and it made me want to try it. Enjoy your Schwarzvierteler!

spartan1979 likes this.
  27. boddhitree

Thanks Jack for the input! I will not use Summit on your recommendation. The amount of dry hops is still up for grabs. Northern Brewer is said to be a newish sub for Hallerstauer, and I think the beer might need a little bitter dry hop to balance out the Rauchmalz.

Another idea, as experiment, would be to brew my Sub version on Cissy IPA, then do a "real" version later as comparison, maybe all grain or just a kg of Pilsnermalz.

Also, look at Andreas' hop schedule. He brewed a 1,000 L batch, now tell how I should compare my guess? Really, it's just a guess, so any helps is appreciated.

Yeast: probably Wyeast's London Ale, Ringwood, Whitbread, or American Ale II, though I'm open still.

28. spartan1979

Yes, I had read it previously. I was one of your "likes." It does sound similar, maybe not quite as much bitterness as you describe. The smoked malt adds a dimension to the beer that is very enjoyable. It's just a hint, but it's there. I did use the recipe from BYO, except I didn't decoct it and added a bit of melanoidin malt instead. I also passed on the 4 hour sparge, but I probably will do a decoction for the mashout the next time I make it.

The last time we were in Germany (2010) we passed a lot of small towns on the train and my wife and I both said we'd enjoy stopping to explore some of them. After brewing this beer, we've decided to spend our first two days this year in Miltenberg. It seemed like it would be a good place to explore and try the Schwarzviertler. The first day we are there, the brewery is closed, but I'm sure we'll be able to find it around town. I think Zum Riesen is open Mondays.

boddhitree likes this.
  29. spartan1979

Here is my Sticke that I made last fall. This is the last of this batch:

[​IMG]

boddhitree, steveh and herrburgess like this.
  30. LBerges

At Brauerei Knoblach in Schammelsdorf

[​IMG]

31. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Oh man, I love that place. Is that the Räuschla?

32. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

That wouldn't be a home-brew, would it?

33. herrburgess

Beer Trader

We can make exceptions for any and all such exceptional beers. Actually, that's why I put the "home" in parentheses. Just like seeing my favorites: old, new, and homebrewed. ;)

34. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Roger that.

I find it interesting that Brauerei Knoblach is listed here at BA, but there are no beers in their portfolio -- get to work Berges!

35. herrburgess

Beer Trader

...Still waiting patiently for pics of Jack's homebrews. ;)

36. LBerges

5 Dunkel + 1 Weizen. Next round was a Willi.

herrburgess likes this.
  37. boddhitree

Brewed 4 days ago, may I present the Cissy IPA clone:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I revised the above recipe, which I'll post later when I have more time.

38. Gutes_Bier

If any of our German residents know where to get a nice Dunkel Siedla like the one LBerges & Boddhitree posted, please let me know (online or major chain store preferred, I guess). It's occurring to me now that I don't really have a nice Dunkel glass, and I have 9 Dunkels on order!

[​IMG]

herrburgess likes this.
  39. herrburgess

Beer Trader

I think this is the glass. You should be able to get it wherever Sahm products are sold. http://www.sahm.de/de/categories/beer/products/antik-seidel

[​IMG]

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  40. Gutes_Bier

Thanks, those are some sweet looking glasses. I will have to see if I can track some down in HD. Galeria Kaufhof doesn't seem to have them. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can order them directly online via Sahm.

Since we're on the subject, and since you are probably the best person to ask, Herr Burgess - is this the same glass used at Schlenkerla for the "other" beer, i.e., the Kräusen or the Fastenbier? It looks kinda like that if I remember correctly, but they don't sell a branded version on Schlenkerla's website.

Anyway, thanks for the info, the search is afoot!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe