Pics of your home bar set up

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Rusty18, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Rusty18

Rusty18 Nov 17, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Looking for some ideas, currently buildng a small wet bar (well no sink, so dry) and want to build a shelf/rack of some sort over the top. I looked on google a bunch but have not settled on a design yet. I have a few ideas of what I think I want it to look like but curious to see others.

Post away!

Badfish likes this.
  2. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Jan 25, 2009 Illinois

I'll be building mine this fall/winter... So I'll be happy to take and post pics every step of the process.
    (in fact, there is some user on here that has pics of him building his bar... I can't remember who it is though)

3. given2flybrewing

given2flybrewing Dec 19, 2008 Missouri
    Beer Trader

4. firecrotch23

firecrotch23 Mar 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

dthwriter1 likes this.
  5. Supes

Supes Jun 22, 2011 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Badfish, Boilerfood, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  6. given2flybrewing

Beer Trader

Thanks. Zero background in carpentry, just a lot of beer to help with the build! Actually, I just built the bar one step at time, often changing directions as problems came up.

7. Rusty18

Beer Trader

Nice work, cant wait to see the finished product!
    I wish I had that much room for a full bar, mine is more of a tasting table I guess. The top is only 3' x 2' being that is it s a smaller room and long and narrow mot much bigger would fir with my kegerator next to it and stand up freezer beer fridge. I will try and put a pic up of where I am at now, just finished framing the door. I need to put a few coats of paint on it and waiting on the piece of granite to be delivered.

Thanks for the replies, keep the pics coming!

8. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

DBCOACHEMUP likes this.
  9. Jerriko

Jerriko Jan 6, 2008 Washington

I remember this thread popping up before the old forum went down and I was majorly jealous of the pics I saw and I'm glad someone started it again so soon. So many creative uses of space. Someday I'll have a great setup and I'll post my pictures then. Right now I'll settle for my 3 tap kegerator in the garage.

10. given2flybrewing

Beer Trader

My wife and I often antique shop and I picked up beer boxes along the way. The decision to put them into the bar was easy because I really wasn't using them for anything in particular (besides storing beer). Not a cheap bar top, but unique and a nice conversation piece for sure. The back of the bar will also have older brewery logos images etc. from some signs/trays that I have on hand.

couchsitta and Eastside151 like this.
  11. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Well it looks badass. Must have been nervous trimming up all those pieces to fit the top haha, well worth it though I'd say!

12. younger35

younger35 Jan 3, 2007 Minnesota

given2flybrewing likes this.
  13. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Jan 13, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Dude. Please keep updating photos... this will be awesome. What are you naming it? I'll have to take some pics of a friend's home setup, the Boar's Nest...

14. given2flybrewing

Beer Trader

Thanks, it's called...my bar :D

15. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Jan 13, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

In the English tradition, you must come up with a ridiculous and lovely name for this work of mastery!

16. funkel81

funkel81 Jan 23, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

did you just pour the goop (what exactly is it?) on top of the bar and let it settle and dry? or did you have to push it around? also, penn state alum??

17. given2flybrewing

Beer Trader

The goop is a product from US Composites called Kleer Koat. You basically mix two compounds together, and then pour it out, it self-levels as it covers the surface. Multiple coats were needed for the bar. When I cover the backside of the bar (in a couple of weeks), I will try to post some more pictures of the actual process. The hardest part was getting all of the tiny bubbles out of it, from mixing the two compounds, but fun using the torch to do so. Shit drys really quickly, so you have to act fast.

Not a PSU alum, just a fan.

18. MyIronLung

MyIronLung Oct 28, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

When you're done, I'll fly you to Massachusetts so we can build my bar. :)

bostonwolf and Eastside151 like this.
  19. bigbluebeerguy

bigbluebeerguy Nov 19, 2009 Kentucky

20. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

Looks pretty good. Are those empty beer case packages on the top. Or little posters

21. bigbluebeerguy

Various things,but mostly just the sides of empty cardboard 6 pk containers.

22. oldp0rt

That's what i thought. It still looks pretty good. I usually just stick those on the wall in the garage.

23. oldp0rt

Does anyone know of a site I can see a bunch of different models and styles of bars. I want to start one in the basement but I'd also like ideas as I don't know what I want.

24. gdodd12

gdodd12 Oct 1, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

How much did you buy all told of the kleer koat?

25. given2flybrewing

Beer Trader

My main bar area is roughly 33 square feet (one side is roughly 3x9, other is 3x5), and because of the unevenness that the beer crates created on the bar top (plus cracks/crevices etc.) I estimated that I would need at least 2 flood coats. So I went with 4 gallons total. The back side of the bar should be less than 2 gallons total because it is smaller and should not need to be as thick as the main bar. The stuff solidifies like glass though.

26. northernbrews

northernbrews Apr 12, 2006 Michigan
    Beer Trader

27. gdodd12

gdodd12 Oct 1, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

So you mix it, poor it, and use a blow torch to get rid of bubbles all before it dries? It naturally dries flat and smooth?

28. given2flybrewing

Beer Trader

Yes smooth like glass. You just need to make sure that you get it mixed properly (portion for portion). There are directions on the site and I believe they send you some as well.

When I do the back side of my bar in a few weeks, I'll try to add some video (or more pics) of the process.

29. bigfnjoe

bigfnjoe Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

This is absolutely awesome. Passed a link to it onto a friend who is in the process of building a bar in his basement...I love the idea for the bar top.

MarkSansone likes this.
  30. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer May 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

31. Rusty18

Beer Trader

Did you custom make the glass shelves int he wet bar? Looks like they are mounted on a track of some sort?
    Nice work, and the wine/beer celler is awesome!

Nice pics so far all, keep them coming!

32. given2flybrewing

Beer Trader

Always loved the look of this bar, wish I had the cellar space that you do - great job!

33. Kadonny

Kadonny Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Thanks. The shelves are just cut tempered glass. They are held by brackets and real skinny standards. The standards are mounted in between pieces of mirrors mounted to the back wall. It all has that copper color theme.

bigbluebeerguy likes this.
  34. bigbluebeerguy

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. The top is not tough to do, just requires a little patience. Feel free to have your friend contact me with any questions.

35. bigbluebeerguy

Great looking bar.

36. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

37. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer May 13, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

We will get a tasting set up here soon. The caps do actually look better in person

38. Kadonny

Kadonny Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

And yours too. I wish I had all that space you have, it is truly amazing the work you put into the area. Very nice.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe