Pilsner revisited: giving a beer a second try

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Uniobrew31, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crusader

Crusader Initiate (190) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

If we are to believe the Finnish alcohol monopoly Alko the current Pilsner Urquell has 34 IBUs.

2. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,339) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Idk. I am wondering if the "skunk" smell that you asociate with "bad " beer is not merely the "dank " smell that I really like It's in heineken and in every beer i have labelled "dank." n I did n;t look 'em all up because I had two hop wllaops hefor emy lunch todya. Here's a website. What thread am I on? I could write for Stone Beer labels.

http://morebeer.com/themes/morewinepro/mmpdfs/mb/off_flavor.pdf

3. Haydn-Juby

Haydn-Juby Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2012 Vermont

Off topic but out of curiosity what did you dislike about Samichlaus ? I just recently picked up a bottle but haven't got around to trying it.

4. Chinon01

Chinon01 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

In Prague sweet fresh pils is everywhere and at $1.50 a half liter it might as well be coming out of a fountain.
    As a beer lover and specifically a lover of pilsner, for beer there's no other place I'd rather be before Prague. It's heaven.

5. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Savant (966) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I felt the same way until I had one with some age. It wasn't fantastic but still a beer I would revisit.

6. premierpro

premierpro Disciple (384) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan
    Subscriber

There has definately been a quality upgrade since the new packaging! An excelent beer!

7. utopiajane

I think that there are some beer styles that get overlooked. One - because they are not flashy. And two - because every brewery that does one tries to make it popular with the current flavors or with too much sweetness. The classic helles lager or dortmunder lager, and the classic pils. Neither of these is a beer that will cause you to regurgitate line after line of prose or description concerning the myriad of elements present in either the nose or on the palate BUT - these are two long lived classic styles. Styles worthy of the notoriety they deserve when done properly and that go mostly unsung and without great fanfare.

"Give pils a chance." Look for one that is not too sweet and not too lemony or that tastes like oily lemon pledge after your third one.

danfue likes this.
  8. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (511) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

I absolutely love pilsners. I'm glad I live in PA, because there are a ton of awesome ones brewed here.

A beer that I hated the first time I tried it was DFH 60 Minute. Someone bought me one before I took a liking to craft beer, and I thought it was vile. Now I regard it as a staple example of the style, and a beer I regularly enjoy drinking.

Kadonny likes this.
  9. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (729) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

If you see it on the shelf or in the cooler try Laguntas Pils. I'm drinking it as I type awesome stuff.

10. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

To me it tasted like liquid smoke.

11. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,868) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

I've had clean and skunked examples of both Heineken and Pilsner Urquell (among other green-bottled beers) and there is nothing near to a skunk character in them when clean. That said, many people don't seem to really understand the skunk smell -- I guess they don't live in an area where a polecat is often unfortunate to wander into oncoming traffic.

A clean Urquell will certainly have spicy hop notes and some mild diacetyl (buttery, butterscotch), maybe some cooked vegetable character from DMS produced when mashing Pilsner malts, but never any skunk character. There's definitely an "earthiness" to Saaz hops, much like there is with Fuggles, but I've never really understood the new term "dank." I equate dank to musty, a character I often find in strong old, aged English-style ales, but never in a light lager.

I've been getting Urquell the cans when I see them and that's really a good way to ensure no light-struck skunkiness.

Ford, GennyCreamAle and utopiajane like this.
  12. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Similar to the US having "West Coast" IPA's and "East Coast" IPA's, styles in other countries may vary by region, I.E. Pilsner's in Germany.

TongoRad likes this.
  13. HokiesandBeer

Beer Trader

I've actually gone off of DFH 60 minute. It used to be one of my go to beers, but after not having it for ages I picked up a couple of six packs of 60 minute a couple of weeks ago and found I didn't care for it at all.

14. steveh

Have you done any studying on the style to get to know what to expect from the style (and others you may not have liked in the interim)? To me, that's the best way to appreciate a certain beer for what it is. Pilsner is not IPA as Oktoberfest is not Imperial stout as Weizen is not Gueuze.

To understand them all for what they are is the best way to enjoy them.

danfue and TongoRad like this.
  15. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,812) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Not one of my faves, unfortunately, but I'll take one in a pinch. I don't get much Summerfest these days, either- I tend to agree with those that say the 'Pennsylvania Pilsners' are top notch, so I get those more often than not.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  16. stella77artois

stella77artois Devotee (495) Nov 4, 2010 New York

When it's fresh, Urquell is delicious. But skunky, it's fair at best. Found a just passed the exp date 12 the other day for cheap, decided to give it a whirl. Tasted great still.

GennyCreamAle likes this.
  17. steveh

I've found that if you give a green-bottled beer a vigorous pour it releases a lot of the skunkiness and can give better enjoyment. Nothing as bad as reaching way into the back of the cooler for that single or sixpack and still getting the polecat when you cap the bottle!

18. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (511) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

It happens. I've certainly lost interest in different beers over the years.

Potatocrawler likes this.
  19. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,190) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

It does happen, but I've found just the opposite. I picked up a sixer that was fresh and fell in love with it all over again. That beer tastes fantastic when fresh, but it's got to be fresh or it can be very bland.

20. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 New York

I believe that in addition to the upgraded packaging Plzensky Prazdroj also makes an extra effort to ship PU to the states faster and in temperature controlled shipping containers. I agree with you, seems to be working and I have bought several sixers of it this summer, really nice.

TongoRad likes this.
  21. stella77artois

stella77artois Devotee (495) Nov 4, 2010 New York

Interesting. I will certainly try that next time I smell some skunk.

22. HokiesandBeer

Beer Trader

I'll be picking it up again in the future, not willing to give up on it. Hoping maybe I just picked up an old batch.

23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,780) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Keith, have you tried this year’s version of Sunshine Pils? I think this year’s version is OUTSTANDING! I have already bought three six-packs of Sunshine Pils this year and I am thinking about buying a fourth.

Cheers!

Jack

P.S. I have also bought two six-packs of Pikeland Pils this year. At 8 bucks a six-pack (at Whole Foods) this beer a great deal!

TongoRad likes this.
  24. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

I had heard that the Czech's sell their best hops to the Germans- heard it over there, but who knows. From my experience the Germans make a grand show when serving pils - even going so far as putting a doily on stem of the glass.

25. LeRose

LeRose Savant (960) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I like pilsners in general, so I completely agree with the group's prevailing opinion here. The clean, crisp, refreshing nature of a nice pilsner works, especially after a hot and sweaty day when the last thing on my mind is a high ABV, rich, thick RIS that would just sit like a lump in the stomach. And sometimes I would just rather appreciate the more subtle, less "in your face" flavors.

But to the point of revisiting, for me it is the IPA/DIPA category more than one specific beer. My initial stab at IPA's was not a success. I don't remember exactly, but pretty sure it was 60 minute and I didn't like it one bit. It was a "what am I not getting about this?" moment. But I kept/keep trying them and have found examples that I do enjoy and will repeat purchase (and 60 minute makes the list) even if I wouldn't consider it a "must have" style, personally. (flame suit engaged...)

26. Tut

Tut Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2004 New York

Pilsners are not supposed to be heavily hopped. Why can't people appreciate a classic beer style for what it is without wanting it turned into a ridiculous hop bomb? Prima Pils is way overhopped. Try one of Victory's Braumeister Pils series to discover how good the traditional ones can be. Your idiotic hop obsession prevents you from enjoying many of the world's best beers.

You're correct about Pilsner Urquell, but for the wrong reason - it's simply the Sam Adams of the many great Czech pilsners, most of which aren't exported to the US.

utopiajane likes this.
  27. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (541) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I will be stopping tonight and picking up a few PA made pilsners tonight. Thanks for the suggestions folks!

28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,780) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

“Pilsners are not supposed to be heavily hopped.” What is your definition of “heavily hopped”?

Cheers!

29. utopiajane

I'm not that guy but I thought it had a little too much hops too.

I don't think that prima pils was "way" over hopped but It had some hops in it. I do think that in troegs sunshine pils and in hop sun by southern tier , I taste a little bit of hops character that is a might too strong. In hop sun it amounted to a n oily lemon pledge like taste in the finish that I didn't notice on the first bottle but I did on subsequent bottles. In sunshine pils it was just a touch "sweet." I preferred sunshine pils to hop sun. I thought pikeland pils was fantastic this year and the wright pils too. Now I kept my mouth shut until this here point because the wright pils also had some hops in it. Eh. . . Was tasty too all the pils this year.

=)

30. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Have Urquell in Prague, you may be blown away as I was.

Define? Pilsner Urquell is quite well hopped, but that is generally faded by the time it gets here.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  31. fx20736

fx20736 Meyvn (1,006) Mar 7, 2009 New York

I like Pilsners and have drank many. I just had Sixpoint's 'The Crisp' for the 1st time and was blown away. Best Pils I've ever had.

32. Ford

Ford Defender (685) Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Well now I need to go pick up some Crisp. I keep seeing it but haven't tried it yet.

33. steveh

Best to your palate, or best to what a German Pilsner ought to taste like?

I liked the Crisp well enough, but it's not a good German Pils to-style -- it's just not as clean as a good Pils ought to be and far from the best Pilsner I've ever had; EKU Pils when fresh is about the best I've ever tried, Trumer is just about spot-on for style -- and terrific because it's U.S. made and usually pretty fresh.

TongoRad, herrburgess and utopiajane like this.
  34. danfue

danfue Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Germany

Glad, you mention this one. EKU doesn't have a good reputation in Germany, being the low budget brand of the Kulmbacher portfolio. And their other styles are mostly dull. I hate the EKU 28, e.g.
    But the first time I tried their Pils, I was blown away how good a Pils can be. I'm still getting it regularly, the case of 20 bottles is only €9.99.

steveh and herrburgess like this.
  35. steveh

This is what happened to me some years ago, receiving the Pils as a selection in a Beer of the Month Club. It was amazingly fresh, bready with good hop spiciness and refreshingly clean.

Interesting that it's so "low budget" in Germany, over here it's priced about the same as Jever per sixpack -- maybe 12 USD when I see it!

36. Tut

Approaching the levels of our west coast pale ales, or in the case of a pilsner, the obvious uber hop content of Prima Pils. Pilsners should have noticible hops, but in balance.

steveh likes this.
  37. Tut

I did have it in the Czech Republic. It was good, but I had many better ones while I was there. I don't understand why so many consider it the gold standard. It's just ordinary there. Probably due to it's wide availability here.

38. Newenglandcraftbrew

Newenglandcraftbrew Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Maine

The Dog Fish My Antonia is one of my favorite pills

39. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Aspirant (204) Apr 19, 2009 Italy

Fresh Pilsner Urquell is, to me, a great beer and certainly nice and hoppy in the first few months of life. Has a nice rich maltiness as well that separates it from the german style pilseners that are so much more common in these parts.
    1 euro a bottle as well makes it a nice pick up. Just waiting for the day that I see it in 0.5 liter cans.

40. Momar42

Momar42 Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Maryland

For me it happened when I was finally able to make it the Weihenstephan Brewery. After the requisite Heffe's and Vitus (which I freaking LOVE) I wanted something lighter and ordered their Pilsner. I was astonished at how well it drank and how much I enjoyed it. I went back about a month later and it was the first beer I ordered and my love for it increased. I have had it from the bottle in the states since then and while good, I haven't found it fresh enough I guess to compare to that day. It has re-awakened my palate for pilsners though.

TongoRad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.