Pioneer Trailblazer IPA

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by PatrickKellyCT, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatrickKellyCT

PatrickKellyCT Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2013 Connecticut

Released in cans today - it is getting a lot of hype on Untappd. I've had Pioneer's previous offerings and they have probably been average to above average. Plus they are contract brewed at Shebeen which is a turnoff for a lot of CT beer drinkers.

Has anyone had this beer? Is it "Treehouse-esque" like it seems to be getting credit for. Just curious if it is worth seeking out.

2. SouthOrangeJuice

SouthOrangeJuice Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2014 Connecticut

I'll be trying this tonight and likewise, haven't been overly impressed with anything Pioneer's put out before. Either the brewery's got a strong ground game blowing smoke for this release, or they turned a corner and hit a home run. The reviews (descriptions more so than the ratings) on Untappd are pretty unbelievable.

3. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (122) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

I've only had their regular IPA, and I liked it...as a $9.99/4pack zero expectation option.

I'd only found out Pioneer through working in CT once a week for months and looking for the SoS & G-Bots. Just about every store that pointed me towards anything, pointed me towards Pioneer. I've been digging it.

(Same stores steered me away from their DIPA, so I trust that too)

I'll definitely be on the lookout for this one.

4. edallolie

edallolie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2015 Connecticut

I bought a four pack of 'The New Frontier' and was not impressed. It's 11% and you can taste it. It was my first Pioneer and I can't say Im likely to try more.

Homebrew likes this.
  5. PatrickKellyCT

Got my hands on a can. It's very good. Treehouse-esque is the best way to describe it, though maybe one slight step behind. Definitely worth the hype, right there with the best CT (and New England for that matter) IPAs.

FWIW I liked the New Frontier better than the American IPA...but for what they both were i thought they were average beers. "B to B-" beers. This one is an A. It's weird, I don't remember a brewery coming out of nowhere with one beer like this in recent memory.

jaxon53 likes this.
  6. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (637) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Funny, I'm drinking a Captain's Daughter right now. That is probably one instance, although Grey Sail showed evidence of making "good" low gravity beers to that point...to bust out a DIPA (although admittedly inconsistent) like CD was unexpected.

7. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (104) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

I definitely think it's good. It's way out of nowhere, you are right. And Pioneer has such a weird history, coming down from Mass. to contract brew at Olde Burnside, then getting partnered with that new brewery opening in South Windsor (CT Valley Brewing) and now contract brewing out of Shebeen.

Anyways, it's good, and I was super skeptical.

Shyla987 likes this.
  8. PatrickKellyCT

Somebody stealing recipes from Treehouse lol?

9. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (133) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

HYPE! No really, I'm sure it's good. Haven't tried it yet. But the hype machine is on overdrive with this beer. From FB groups to here to other forums. Everyone's like: GIMME THE NEW TREEHOUSE! lol

10. PenningtonNY10

Oh yeah, it's insane. And it's why I was super skeptical. I thought they might be all friends of the brewer. But it's a good beer. It's not as soft or refined as Tree House. Not even close. They have some work to do to dial this thing in to get even close to TH level, if that's what they want this to be. And $15/16 a four pack is steep right out of the gate. But it's interesting that the soon-to-be South Windsor brewery has a hot commodity before they even open.

Shyla987 likes this.
  11. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 Connecticut

I thought it tasted like it was brewed with grapefruit juice. Like Sculpin or Electric Peel. I don't like IPA's brewed with juice. Not saying this one is but that's how it tastes to me. Everyone says Julius tastes like oj but you still taste hops if you know what I mean. It's amazing that Pioneer gets that taste from hops but for me it's out of balance.

12. Tylerhurlburt

Tylerhurlburt Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 Connecticut

Pretty sure it's just a mosaic bomb, not brewed with juice. This beer is really good, IMO. It reminds me more of Swish then any TH beer but it's in that ballpark and a welcomed addition to the CT beer scene. It's almost completely still, no lacing or head at all after a few minutes in the glass. Very tasty though.

13. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

Saw it offered for $5 a can yesterday. 2 pp. Kind of steep. Another shop had it at $3.99 per can. I will see if I can find some. Haven't tried any of the Pioneer yet, see it around, but I am not much of an 11% drinker these days.

14. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

I thought Pioneer was near Sturbridge, MA?

15. PenningtonNY10

This one is at 8%. I got my four pack for $16. On Pioneer's FB page, someone said one M&R location was selling a four pack for $26!

JGLittle likes this.
  16. JGLittle

JGLittle Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2012 Massachusetts

Craziness. The place with $5 cans sold out.

17. Jmr85

Jmr85 Aspirant (275) Nov 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

This has my attention, gonna have to seek this out

18. mschofield

mschofield Meyvn (1,406) Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts

Not any longer. It's a tangled timeline, something like Hyland stopped brewing, Pioneer became it's own company and took over, meanwhile Concord/Rapscallion kept changing hands, Rapscallion buys out the Hyland operation, Pioneer buys themselves out, moves to CT, someone else buys Rapscallion. Pioneer moves again ...

It's like Dr. Who found a DeLorean and crashed into a dinosaur.

19. Jay21moose

Jay21moose Initiate (0) May 22, 2015 Connecticut

Currently drinking New Frontier DIPA @ 11%. Great nose and lacing; you'd never guess this was an 11%er either.

I'm very interested in their other offerings. By no means in the same ballpark as TH, though.

20. MKozaka

MKozaka Disciple (318) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

Next up:
    Java Pig > KBS

On serious note, my buddy is huge TH/Trillium fan and said Trailblazer was legit (in that vein).

Pisthetaerus likes this.
  21. Bcelos

Bcelos Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut

Had a trailblazer tonight, according to the sticker it was received 4/4 and the cost was $16 for the 4pack.

It pours like a hazy juice bomb akin to anything TreeHouse/Bissel/Trillium are putting out and smells like a citrusy, fruity smoothy. Honestly the nose on this beer is amazing, I didn't get any of the super dank/cat pissy smells that I do on a lot of off the shelf IPAs, this was all citrus. The overall taste was great but fell short to what I was expecting when compared to something like Julius (which it looked and smelled like). The overall big hoppieness was there but I felt this was just super bitter and didn't finish well. Not as clean and crisp as some other beers i've had.

I don't know a lot about Pioneer but I know they've had a weird past. This beer is contract brewerd at Sheeban in Wolcott CT, which has a horrible reputation among CT Beer drinkers. That being said, i'd give this 3/4 stars and will say that I think with some tweaking this could be really really good. I could easily see this being something that flies off the shelves and for good reason however it falls short to anything TreeHouse is putting out. I'm not sure it was worth the $16/4pack for me, I would buy Sip of Sunshine over this if I saw them side by side in a package store.

22. PenningtonNY10

Yeah the recipe can be dialed in, but it's definitely a good beer. Maybe when they move into their permanent brewery in South Windsor we will see that evolution. Agree on the price. I bought Sip the same day as this. $14/4 for Sip and $16/4 for Trailblazer.

23. jaxon53

jaxon53 Poo-Bah (1,509) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I really liked this and a few of their other offerings, and also, the best beer to come out of Shebeen!

24. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Out of curiosity, are there any New England contract brewers, outside of Two Roads, that have a good reputation?

25. PenningtonNY10

I know Hooker does some contract brewing. They do Relic's 12 oz bottles.

26. trevorpost

trevorpost Meyvn (1,384) Aug 3, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Ipswich/ Mercury?

Bissel328 likes this.
  27. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (599) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Yeah, realized I should have included them with Two Roads as the big players. Was thinking more the smaller guys that people don't think of immediately.

28. Jewrican23

Jewrican23 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts

Can you get it in MA or only CT?

29. Bcelos

I think Hooker also does a lot of the bigger Back East canning runs but could be wrong on that

30. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

Where in CT has this been available? Only hartford area, or has anyone seen it farther south?

31. PenningtonNY10

Evmo31 likes this.
  32. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (203) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

Except that Villa in Storrs never got the delivery :slight_frown:

33. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

34. Shyla987

Pioneer's Recent Brewing History in CT:

- contract brewed at Hooker, didn't work out
    - contract brewed Olde Burnside, didn't work out
    - supposed to contract at Overshores, never happened, didn't work out
    - contract brewed at Shebeen, best beer ever. lol

Plus as someone mentioned upthread, he (Todd) was at a few locations before this, in MA. Really, ahem, interesting history.

35. Shyla987

No. Back East Summer Cans are brewed at Two Roads this year.

36. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut

Should be in Fairfield County next week

Evmo31 likes this.
  37. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2014 Connecticut

A couple of days later and my second try poured into a glass was more enjoyable than the first from the can. Still could use some improvement but a surprise from CT.

38. Ralelen

Ralelen Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2005 Connecticut

Just what I thought. Great nose, no body with a bitterness at the end that didnt compliment the mango/grapefruit up front. Disappointing.

39. Bcelos

Spot on.

40. FruityHops

FruityHops Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2016 Connecticut

I managed to get one can from my brother in law and I liked it a lot. It is being compared to Tree House, which is kind of setting it up for failure in that regard. It isn't as good as Tree House, but it is a great representation of the NE IPA style. Fruity, citrus like hop aroma and flavor, full and smooth mouth-feel, not overly bitter. It is a winner in my book.

Compare it to Back East's NE IPA attempt, Intergalactic Lupulinary, and you should appreciate what Pioneer was able to do, Back East is really unimpressive. I don't care much for Pioneer's other brews, but the new Trail Blazer is one I'll buy again for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.