Pipeworks (2021)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mbockstruck30, Jan 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 (604) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Too late to edit. Also at Binny’s.

2. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship (615) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Anyone heard any updates on a Pipeworks taproom or brew pub? Just curious. I think the lack of one really killed off PW as a brand for me during the pandemic. I don’t think I’ve bought anything from them in two years. Being able to tie good times at HA, Rev and GI probably had me buying more of their stuff when they were closed because it was an experience I was missing out on. The pandemic never really caused me to miss PW because there wasn’t anything taken away. They are just a faceless can experience in a sea of cans.

3. Hopsoaker

Hopsoaker (70) Feb 16, 2020

Did not see this at Binny’s today.

4. mbockstruck30

Trader

I assume today was just at the Dojo, then it will hit Binny’s. They said all Binny’s will be getting at least 1 case of each. So I assume next week.

5. cryptichead

cryptichead (1,226) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

But it's not posted on the Dojo site, so how would you order it if it's curbside pick up only?

6. Quilentro

Quilentro (440) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

did you add truffles to your cart first?

7. mbockstruck30

Trader

You’re right. The email made it sound like it would be available on the web shop and FWB had the opportunity to reserve some for them to hold. But I guess I misunderstood. Looks like it’s only available to FWB at the moment. For what it’s worth, we’re only allowed to reserve 1 can of each, so assuming there isn’t a ton of them.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  8. mbockstruck30

Trader

Just re-read the email (sober this time):

“Intrinsic Duality will also be available at all Binny's stores starting tomorrow, Friday December 10th.“

“They will not be live on the webshop until Wednesday, December 15th.”

9. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus (680) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

You're a one-man show tonight, and I'm loving it. Both as someone that appreciates you and your posts, and the tipsy posting. Been a fun one. :grin:

10. mbockstruck30

Trader

I apologize for nothing!

11. flat_lander

flat_lander (590) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

The barleywine Intrinsic was fine. Probably not rushing out to buy the other versions based on that experience and the absurd amount of beer I have stashed at various locations around the house. I just need to make a stand somewhere.

12. Hopsoaker

Having the milk stout now (#1 I believe). I feel the same way, it’s just ok.

Jaycase likes this.
  13. cryptichead

Society Trader

I got 1 of each from Binnys Logan Square. Had to ask a guy for them...they were keeping them in back but had the shelf space and stickers for them already out. Hopefully at 36 months of barrel time, these should be something special. Will probably crack one or two around the holidays

FBarber likes this.
  14. Hopsoaker

Does anyone know why this Intrinsic Duality #1 can says packaged 3/2/21 but was released now?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  15. cryptichead

Society Trader

Waiting for the BBA drinking weather? Or letting them settle in the can for a few more months? All three were canned March/April

FBarber likes this.
  16. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

Gun shy on infections?

17. beardown2489

beardown2489 (590) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

PDubs probably tasted the beer in late February, said “it’s done,” and canned it.

18. KCUnited

KCUnited (0) Nov 11, 2014 Arizona
    Trader

Intrinsic Duality 1, 2, and 3 are up on the Dojo webiste

FBarber likes this.
  19. Jplachy

Jplachy (540) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Its heartwarming to see people talk about still being FwB, I assumed by now they would have nuked that program.

20. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 (315) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

These are a collab with Binny's and will all be available at each Binny's, if not already there.
    https://www.binnys.com/beerbuzz

21. Shriner

Shriner (225) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

Aww man, they sounded excellent until I got to the lactose part!

22. VinHalen54

[​IMG]

REVZEB and HouseofWortship like this.
  23. VinHalen54

HATE THE LACTOSE!!
    But, okay - #1 has lactose, which is not totally unexpected for a milk stout. #2 is the barleywine, and it doesn't look like that has it. I suppose #3 will have some since it is a cuvee of both.
    A good excuse to just get the barleywine and cuvee, since I am all STOUTED UP already. :wink:

4DAloveofSTOUT, REVZEB and FBarber like this.
  24. mbockstruck30

Trader

It really means very little at this point since they typically produce plenty of their BA stuff. Reserving ahead of public release is nice, but doesn’t help as much since I’m no longer in the neighborhood. But it’s still a badge I’ll proudly wear!

Jplachy, FBarber and Jaycase like this.
  25. HouseofWortship

Society Trader

I assumed with the pandemic keeping the majority of neckbeards at home they would have moved their PWs Friends with Benefits membership (FwB) to PW’s In-house Cellar membership (InCel).

mbockstruck30 and GuyFawkes like this.
  26. darkwing1

darkwing1 (180) May 13, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Milke Stout = Lactose....not gonna find a milk stout recipe without it.

27. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 (0) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Hearing fantastic things about these two new BAs from PW. I grabbed one of each. May have to go back for another one of each.

NOTpipeworks likes this.
  28. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes (1,197) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

...there's 3 new barrel aged beers?

ChiPez66 likes this.
  29. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic (0) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I'm glad to see PW's BA program is back, and Phantom Unicorn was very good. But is it just me or is it very odd, maybe downright suspicious, that these were canned ~9 mos. ago and held until now? I'm holding off on these 3 at least until I hear more reviews from you all.

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  30. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x (0) Oct 4, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Pretty sus

31. darktronica

darktronica (1,146) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Maybe they wanted to hold onto them for a while to be absolutely sure no problems would emerge. Maybe it was part of their agreement with Binny's to avoid lower sales on 15% stouts during spring and summer months, or to avoid conflict with marketing other collaborations that Binny's wanted to promote. I'm not worried. Haven't tried the others, but the barleywine (#2) is nice.

32. Quilentro

Trader

I purchased all three, so maybe I’ll drink them back-to-back tonight and write you guys some poetry.

SWChi, PhilBallins, ktr5010 and 8 others like this.
  33. mbockstruck30

Trader

Yeah, I’m assuming it was more of a decision on Binny’s part than PW. But that’s just speculation on my end.

34. ChiPez66

ChiPez66 (0) May 21, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Only two available at Binny's that I saw. Those are the two I'm talking about.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  35. Jaycase

Jaycase (0) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

I recalled reading this happening with a Binny's collaboration in the past and sure enough, I'm not going crazy. Well, at least not full on. @flat_lander & @Jinx989 were discussing this on the Binny's collaboration with Destihl around this post. jinx989 mentioned it was due to a delay with labels so perhaps a similar situation on the PW cans. And those were sold ~11 months after packaging.

36. flat_lander

flat_lander (590) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I was pretty underwhelmed by the barleywine. Not even in the same league as SJ and Orin IMO.

FBarber likes this.
  37. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x (0) Oct 4, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I grabbed the non-adjunct stout and the BW but haven’t had a chance to go pick them up yet. Based on the reviews it was ~$20 down the drain

38. Hopsoaker

I didn’t care for the milk stout (#1), but thought the BW (#2) was decent enough. I agree it was nowhere near straight jacket level though. Haven’t gotten to the third yet.

39. Quilentro

Trader

cracked #2 first, which is the barleywine. I won’t compare it to Orin, because that is a strong ale. Geez. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kept it out of the fridge for 40 minutes. Poured it into prop days cup.

initial nose is old world candy factory. All burnt sugar, toffee, bright notes - almost like fruit / banana, and then bourbon and wood. Maybe some bread pudding or panna cotta. This is a very complex and entertaining nose to me. If it stayed in that upper register, I would not have enjoyed it, but it is anchored by some dark fruits, raisins, and rich malt.

ooooo weeee this is an interesting beer. Man. There is a certain flavor that follows off the nose that continues to remind me of fancy desserts. Creme brûlée, while your great-uncle who doesn’t speak English laughs a hearty laugh at a joke you didn’t understand and a wave of spiced glogg spiked with rum and raisins wafts from across the table. It is neither thick nor thin, but starts out smooth / light and then lingers for a long time until it almost feels gritty. Dangerous at 13%! As anyone who has shared a drink with me recently knows, I’m a sucker for old things, and this bears those hallmarks of age. Rounded, subtle, integrated, and nuanced. Each sip is bringing me for a ride - there are three distinct segments to its flavor, which is one of the most delightful things a beer can do for me.

I’m only halfway through, and this is a real treat. a charming, shapeshifting beer that feels perfect for the holidays. Cheers!

40. NOTpipeworks

NOTpipeworks (0) Jul 10, 2014 Illinois

So sus...

:wink:

#160 NOTpipeworks, Dec 17, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.