Pitching temp ?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Timmush, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmush

Timmush Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

My thermometer was off and pitched US-05 at around 78-80 degrees, but I soon chilled it to low 60's and now its bubbling away at 64. Is everything going to be ok or am I going to have to rename this Butterscotch Blonde?

2. cracker

cracker May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

Should be fine provided fermentation began when temps were below 70F. Sounds like that's the case. Good luck!

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

It's probably fine. Personally, I'd be more worried about fusels than diacetyl (butterscotch). But I wouldn't lose sleep over either at this point. One thing though... temperature is a factor in diacetyl reduction (as well as formation), so you might want to ferment toward the upper end of your yeast strain's comfort zone, to help clean up any diacetyl that might have been produced by the early high temps.

4. yinzer

yinzer Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

If you're really worried about this particular beer, before you cold crash it, package it, whatever, carbonate some. If you have kegging stuff get a pressure cap for PET bottles.

For some reason the Gods have looked down on me and I haven't had issues with diacetyl. But I've tasted beer for people that normally don't have issues that pop open a carbonated beer that had mega diacetyl and they are astounded.

So the take away is that some things are a flavor, some things are an aroma, diacetyl seems to be both but is most apparent or objectionable in aroma.

5. wspscott

wspscott May 25, 2006 Kentucky

It is too late to worry, but if it makes you feel better, I have done the same thing with the same yeast. After pitching, I put the bucket in a ice water bath and dropped the temp to ~65 within a couple of hours. No problems, beer disappeared quickly.

6. TIMMYJ21

TIMMYJ21 Apr 29, 2010 Minnesota

Tim, I use US-05 a lot, i have pitched at 78 ish many times and cooled it to 66, let it get started then brought the carboy out let it rise to 72, and that seems to work well for me , 05 is a very forgiving yeast,and it seems to lag 24 hours or so, I have done this many times and have never had a bad remark on my IPA's or imperial's from judges at comps,and may have done pretty well in a few.

Timmush likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.