Pittsburgh bound...where to go, what to drink?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Simo5301, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simo5301

Simo5301 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Minnesota

Going to be in Pittsburgh this weekend, anyone know of some good spots for craft beer? Either restaurants to eat at or to simply buy and bring back home...any suggestions would help. Also, I'm from Minnesota, any suggestions on certain beers to try out that way? THANKS!

2. beerhunter

beerhunter Initiate (181) Mar 3, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

3. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,509) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Fat Heads. Just down the street from Fat Heads is the Double Wide grill and they had the best nachos I've ever had.

dungledauf likes this.
  4. BeerBob1

BeerBob1 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Pennsylvania

Fatheads on Carson Street at 18TH [south side], great tap list, go to website and see what's on this week. Foods good too but across the street from Fatheads is a Primanti Bros, a must have sandwhich when in the burgh. Church Brewery and Restaurant is good too on the other side of town.

5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,951) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Best place to ask/check is the Mid-Atlantic forum and the "Places" list for Pittsburgh. Enjoy your trip.

6. Buxas

Buxas Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Pennsylvania

You could also find your way to New Kensington. It is about 10 miles out of town. Great place there is the House of 1000 Beers. They stock over 1000 beers and have 42 taps, all putting out really good stuff. Google them. Their website shows what they currently have on tap. It is also quite affordable compared to what you will find in Pittsburgh.

7. Hermthegerm

Hermthegerm Aspirant (264) Oct 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Check out Hough's, fat heads, church brew works or the sharp edge. Have a great time.

8. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (499) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

9. beerborn

beerborn Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Georgia

Church Brew Works, East End (only growler fills), Fuel and Fuddle (solid tap selection and large bottle list), Fat Heads and Bocktown are a must as well.

10. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 New York

I'll just piggy back off of this thread but I will also be going to Pittsburgh in two weeks. I plan on going to Fat Heads and I see they have a bottle shop as well. So I know the liquor laws are crazy in PA. I'll be getting in on Sunday, can I even purchase beer on Sunday? If so, I can only buy a six pack from Fat Heads right? But I can walk right back in after I leave and buy more right? Any help with the liquor laws is greatly appreciated.

11. dungledauf

dungledauf Initiate (169) Nov 8, 2005 Pennsylvania

I would certainly visit Fatheads and definitely try the beers they make.

12. dtx00

dtx00 Devotee (416) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yes you can buy beer on Sunday. The limit is 192oz per transaction which would be 16 12oz beers. Then you would have to come back in and do it all over again.

13. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Poo-Bah (2,217) Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Voodoo. Its in Meadville, a touch out of the way, but well worth it.

HopFace likes this.
  14. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Meyvn (1,048) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania

I remember hearing from Matt Allyn on an episode of 'Should I Drink That?' that the legal limit is really 192 oz. *per day*. I was kind of surprised to hear that, as no carry-out place I've ever been to has enforced it.

15. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

When you can no longer stand the crush of humanity at Fat Heads, across the street is a nice little joint called Pipers Pub. Usually have one or three casks on as well as a good selection of locals and regionals on tap. And the food is pretty damn good--try the Sunday brunch

HopFace, Tedwarhc and dtx00 like this.
  16. rodlavers

rodlavers Defender (601) Jun 20, 2012 Maryland

I'll go ahead an second the House of 1000 Beers call made above

17. Pensfan

Pensfan Disciple (335) Feb 21, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Also right down the block from Fatheads is Smoking Joes, usually they have a good tap list as well.

18. BoltsFan704

BoltsFan704 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 North Carolina

Piggybacking.. I'm going to be in Pittsburgh (first time there) in two weeks for a convention. I'll be at the Westin downtown. Anywhere to go within walking distance?

19. HopFace

HopFace Aspirant (240) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

You have to be careful with smoking Joe's. They are still selling double trouble from last year. A lot of their cans/bottles are old. If you go there, stick to the taps.

20. HopFace

Beer Trader

Go to the Beerhive. http://www.thebeerhive.com/ We had a tasting there earlier this year. Decent tap list.

BoltsFan704 likes this.
  21. HopFace

Beer Trader

Has no one said draai laag (http://www.draailaag.com/) yet? I think they are one of the top breweries in Pittsburgh.

Don't miss them! Only problem is that they are only open on Thursday and Friday.

22. cryme

cryme Initiate (147) Jun 29, 2011 Delaware

Steel Edge Bistro is pretty close. Pricey, though.

BoltsFan704 likes this.
  23. BoltsFan704

BoltsFan704 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 North Carolina

Just found it it's Pittsburgh Beer Week that week.. wonder if there's any events near me? Thanks for the suggestions so far.

24. nhindian

nhindian Savant (914) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Sadly, i disagree about Primantis. Very overrated. I'd prefer sticking to Fatheads or Pipers for food in the South Side.

dtx00 likes this.
  25. dtx00

dtx00 Devotee (416) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I think you meant Sharp Edge Bistro. It would be a bit of a longer walk but it was mentioned above about the Beerhive. Across the river near PNC Park is a Rivertown Brewing location as well. There are a couple decent resturants downtown that are more food oriented, but have some decent beers on tap as well.

26. cryme

cryme Initiate (147) Jun 29, 2011 Delaware

Argh I always forget whether it is Steel or Sharp. Still expensive ;p

27. biglite351

biglite351 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Pennsylvania

I am not a Fatheads fan. Rather over-rated tap list in my opinion. For pure variety of choices available in Pittsburgh I would say Hough's and Smokin' Joe's. Both have over 50 taps. If you are going to be north east of the city I would suggest House of 1000 beers as they have 50 or so taps as well.

Oh, if you are looking for local brew options... Carson St Deli usually has a number of Pittsburgh beers on tap.

28. mark14580

Anyone ever go to Meat and Potatoes? I was looking up places and thought it looked cool.

29. skaboom420

skaboom420 Zealot (562) Sep 21, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

like others have said, house of 1k beers is a must. heres their current tap list http://ho1kb.jonlitz.com/ also just down the road from there is beermuda. they usually have a decent list as well.

30. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Meyvn (1,048) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania

Meat & Potatoes is great, but I've never ordered a beer there. Their cocktails trump their beer list, IMO.

31. mark14580

Nice thanks for the recommendation.

32. basickness

basickness Aspirant (206) Apr 20, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

i live here. houghs is good, house of 1k is good, fatheads is good, d's is good. if you wanna set up any IP trades, lmk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.