Pittsburgh - New Beers & Local Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by brewgentlemen, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Hahaha.

Mentioning Target would essentially be a blank check for my sentence to end with any combination of words. The wife and kids are down to hit up Target regardless of the impetus. The building could be on fire and I could be there to meet a gaggle of chicks from Tinder, they couldn't care less.

2. jeevo

jeevo Aspirant (228) Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My fiancée has fully accepted the craft beer obsessee lifestyle. Random stops at out of the way bottle shops and breweries in podunk towns during vacations / road trips is as normal as stopping for gas.

3. jbwimer

jbwimer Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2013 Kansas

[​IMG]

Guess no one on this thread cares enough for ABGM. So I'll be the bearer of good news.

4. Stigs

Stigs Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Pennsylvania

Whats the good news?

5. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (894) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

Key word: fiance

6. uvm2003

uvm2003 Aspirant (294) Oct 1, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have an unhealthy love of apple brandy grand met so this is phenomenal news!

wyckyd_sceptre and kbuzz like this.
  7. kbuzz

channeling your inner shuggy I see...

more things going INTO barrels and not coming out...awesome :rolling_eyes:

8. kbuzz

Anyone else excited about the Espresso Glutenous Maximus release this weekend?

Not sure if I'm looking forward to it out of genuine anticipation or I'm just that barleywine starved....:confused:

EDIT: could also be that it's really fucking close to me :stuck_out_tongue:

dannyfayy likes this.
  9. PMike

PMike Initiate (81) Jul 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

Long time lurker on this thread.

I have shipped and received beer back and forth with a friend from CO who is now in WA. Used USPS early on until one of my boxes to him broke at their post office in CO. They pulled his wife into a back room and gave a stern warning about breaking the law shipping beer. Since then, we have used UPS. Another time (using UPS) one broke once and they pulled the commercial stuff and shipped my home-brew back to me.

How do all you approach the beer shipping stuff? It is illegal, technically, right? When you take your box into UPS or Fedex, what do you tell them? Have you ever gotten any warnings when something broke? Any other consequences. When you called, it wasn't a problem that it was alcohol?

10. barflybastard

I place individual bottles in ZipLoc bags (and then the bubble wrap), and then the whole thing in a trash bag before placing in the box--that way you can avoid inspection in the event of break/leakage. Always tell them it's olive oil if asked, but I'm rarely asked.

Stinkypuss and kbuzz like this.
  11. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (508) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It's all illegal, but how each entity handles it is different. The USPS (I believe) is supposed to be required to contact the ATF, and that's clearly more serious. Generally UPS and FedEx will just dispose of the box, but it sort of depends on who finds it.

I had a box coming to me via UPS and a bottle was broken and leaked. UPS unpacked the box, re-wrapped the remaining bottles and delivered to me anyway, but that's not a normal handling of such a package by their standards.

I always use the at-home pick up option with FedEx which obviously avoids the prying minds of those at the store. The drivers don't care nearly enough to shake a box to try to figure out what's inside, they just scoop and go.

kbuzz likes this.
  12. kbuzz

How do all you approach the beer shipping stuff? I don't do it anymore. But not for legal reasons.
    It is illegal, technically, right? Yep. More so through USPS since a government agency. UPS/Fedex just state that it's against policy...but is still illegal to ship alcohol into most (all? some?) states even if the delivery company is absolved of blame via disclaimers and such...
    When you take your box into UPS or Fedex, what do you tell them? Whatever comes to mind - lava lamps, hot sauce, olive oil, snow globe collection.
    Have you ever gotten any warnings when something broke? Yep, multiple times.
    Any other consequences. I can no longer ship using UPS unless they inspect my box first (double entendre intended fo sho)
    When you called, it wasn't a problem that it was alcohol? Not sure I understand the question...called who? For what? ...but I've never had any legal issues result from shipping beer...I've never admitted it was alcohol willingly though.

13. kbuzz

anyone try hopslam yet? Do you feel the can makes a difference?

14. PMike

PMike Initiate (81) Jul 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

Sorry about that confusion, HunterPGH mentioned that he had a break on a shipment. Then called FedEx after a break and asked them to continue the delivery. They did. Sounded like no issues. That is promising.

I appreciate the feedback so far. Very helpful.

HunterPGH, kbuzz and barflybastard like this.
  15. HunterPGH

HunterPGH Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2014 Pennsylvania

I had one last night. I poured from the can to a bottle then to a snifter, just to confuse myself. Tasted great.

But seriously, no, didn't notice a difference.

16. uvm2003

uvm2003 Aspirant (294) Oct 1, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'd seriously drink watermelon four loko aged in apple brandy barrels if Curt/voodoo oversaw the process. It'd have to be the original four loko of course, since everyone knows the more recent and less caffeinated version is garbage.

tommyguz, robgage, Dogleg and 2 others like this.
  17. barflybastard

18. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I've had maybe 3-4 instances where bottles were broken in transit. Once, the package was discarded completely (UPS). Once, the package was returned to the shipper (FedEx). Every other instance, the package was delivered without issue.

19. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (508) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

kbuzz likes this.
  20. zhoss24

zhoss24 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2015 Pennsylvania

10ish cases of hopslam at MD Robinson.

barflybastard likes this.
  21. clerkpalmer

clerkpalmer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2014 Pennsylvania

Hopslam at Wexford WF dated 1/28/16! Usually a month + old by the time it hits Pa.

barflybastard likes this.
  22. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,034) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

Anyone else at this Allegheny City tasting?

23. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

#10663 wyckyd_sceptre, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  24. voodoobrewery

voodoobrewery Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

Next BRC releases at $10/oz?

25. dadavat

dadavat Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2015 Pennsylvania

Hah! My usual limit is $1/oz

26. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,034) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

OneDropSoup and kbuzz like this.
  27. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (320) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Am I missing where it says this is Grand Met?

kbuzz likes this.
  28. nhindian

nhindian Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2010 Pennsylvania

W
    Will it be any better than Tillie's Ghillies?

kbuzz likes this.
  29. kbuzz

Not a bad point. Was the base of tillies Gillies any good? Not sure I had it. But I actually have high hopes for this since I thought the base glutenous was pretty tasty.

30. kbuzz

Yeah I'm not convinced. Sure, there's a voodoo comment saying its gran met...but when have they ever been that forthright about their intentions.

31. kbuzz

Fucking love that voodoo comment. This plus the employee ownership post...definitely makes me feel good to support those guys.

EDIT: yes, I realize I pulled a throwback tommyguz move with the non-MQ posts above. Usually so shamelessly glued to this thread that I never have to play catch up...:grimacing:

#10671 kbuzz, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  32. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Pennsylvania

I guess the North Hills GEs won't get their Slam until Tuesday? They were the only shops I was able to check while on break from my 12 hour shift today. Judging by how everyone is vacuuming the stuff up today, hey seem to be my main hope for grabbing the stuff this week #12HourDaysFTW(not)

33. oldmetalguy

oldmetalguy Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2015 Pennsylvania

tried Nugget Nectar.. not for me. had a grapefruit start, but a weird aftertaste.

tried Citradelic.. didn't get any tangerine, tasted even more like grapefruit

neither were brutally bitter like I expected, so now I can't go by the ibu as a measuring stick

I'll be over here in left field..

edit - I don't feel like I should rate them low, they just aren't for me. I dunno what to do about that.

34. Reno9

Reno9 Aspirant (261) Mar 20, 2015 Pennsylvania

Anyone have a UPS in the South hills they rec?

35. chefduff2

chefduff2 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2008 New York

Just stick to what you like. There are a plethora of good stouts out there if that's your thing. Honestly no one should ever use IBU as a measuring stick. It takes some work, but finding what hops you prefer will definitely make it a lot easier to find beers you like. There are some breweries which will do single hop beers and that's great way to find out if you love it or hate it.

kbuzz and PSU_Mike like this.
  36. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

In other news, I think this years HopSlam is pretty tits. It's not TreeHouse or Trillium good, but it's a good nostalgic beer that I already seek out when it's around. "Overhyped" or whatever it may be, I enjoy and it breaks the "it was better last year" mold.

37. thebouch01

thebouch01 Devotee (416) Jun 26, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Never had an issue with the store in the Bill Green shopping plaza at the Rt 51 & Lebanon Church cloverleaf. They never ask questions if you are just dropping off with a prepaid label.

38. jbwimer

I'm seeing a "GM" written on the barrel. I'm also liable to believe just about anything a brewery's social media page tells me.

uvm2003 and Dogleg like this.
  39. kbuzz

I think you and I don't see eye to eye on hoppy shit at all. Hopslam is run of the mill for the third straight year to me. Either my palate is perma wrecked or this beer has changed. Either way, this is the last year I buy it with any sort of hope that it can recapture what it was for me. Really thought the can was gonna fix everything for some reason. Probably unfair.

Brown120 and jbwimer like this.
  40. jbwimer

Just drank one. Slopham (or the classic, Maltslam) out of Meh City, MI. Nice clarity, though. Pretty filtered looking for an unfiltered IPA. Though the lack of haze could be from the lack of hops. But what do I know.

uvm2003, kbuzz and psnydez86 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.