Pittsburgh - New Beers & Local Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by brewgentlemen, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griggsy

Griggsy Aspirant (278) Mar 24, 2013 Colorado

Looking at the website, it appears that they have done just that. Not sure why, though. No reference to the reason for the name change on their site or on their Twitter account. I know there is an Atlas Brewing Company in Chicago, but I doubt they would have threatened legal action.

(Long time lurker, first time poster.)

2. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (894) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

you picked a hell of a time to start

3. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

I was doing a catering job in USC and three of us got pulled over because we didn't look like we belonged there. Never had a problem in Peters.

The only decent place to drink in Peters is Sharp Edge, if you're feeling wealthy that day. Otherwise we take a drive to Burghers in Bridgeville

4. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Super surprising--in my experience it's been the opposite. USC likes to turn a blind eye to all forms of mayhem to keep our community/crime stats looking attractive. Feel like Peters sharp shooters are ready to take our my tires when I cross the county line, if I happen to be going 55 in a 54.

Dogleg likes this.
  5. Dogleg

Dogleg Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Pennsylvania

If I could get around the old people going 35 regardless of the speed limit I would be able to get a ticket.

6. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,034) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

anyone seen 120 around? I have some "cellared" ones back home.
    Trying to avoid having them shipped down though.
    "it's for a friend"

tommyguz likes this.
  7. Mounty4Life

Mounty4Life Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Carnivores in Oakmont had some as of week ago, in cooler behind bar, just have to ask

OneDropSoup and brother_rebus like this.
  8. Matthouse3

Matthouse3 Initiate (131) Jun 29, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You might be 30, but you're still #newmoney as hell and are oblivious to any trade etiquette whatsoever. This is exactly like when all the guys from Georgia got CC See The Stars and immediately said they swapped them for TG Stouts 1:1. It's just an embarrassment for anyone who would trade anything Voodoo in the future. Enjoy being exactly what is wrong with trading anymore.

STG228, Brewski, uvm2003 and 10 others like this.
  9. kbuzz

This. It might even be most appalling that you feel no shame in laying it all out in such detail. Like you're not doing anything wrong. That whole fucking post is vomit inducing. @Matthouse3 nailed it - you are the perfect example of why trading sucks any more.

10. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (508) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Well said, my friend. Well said.

11. Mipper

Mipper Aspirant (230) Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

A quick lurking in to comment on getting a BAA. It's not easy.

I offered a Resolute Set - AB, Double Vanilla, coconut, Regular plus either Regal or Permasmile (Pre). In my mind I was giving up a lot of good beer, but it was for something I really wanted to try.

The offer got crickets (which I am 100% ok with) except for someone that misread and thought I was giving up 2 complete Resolute sets. The anchor in the offer in my mind was Coconut Resolute and Permasmile. It would take the right set of eyes. I did receive an offer of GNVP for the Coconut 1:1 it that gives you any idea of what people want for BAA.

Steve_Oldrati, UcDru and dannyfayy like this.
  12. PMike

PMike Initiate (81) Jul 14, 2011 Pennsylvania

I haven't been there lately, but Gooskies usually has it in the cooler to the left of the bar.

OneDropSoup and brother_rebus like this.
  13. Mcj6986

Mcj6986 Initiate (148) Dec 14, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Some of you guys are completely ridiculous and arrogant. Get over yourselves and get a life already. It's beer, not life and death. Find something better to do with your day then to keep attacking someone over beer.
    1. You know nothing about me.
    2. You sound like a silly little bully out in the school yard.
    3. It's really sad that what someone else tries to try/trade/ etc in the beer world offends you so much so that you won't stfu and just keep going.

I've met some awesome people through beer trading/sharing. Your attacks and "know it all mentality" are whats truly wrong with the beer world.

It's just like the person on a local Facebook beer page that polices it and deletes posts like it's our constitution. I love craft beer too, but some of you really need to relax and self examine your lives.

14. Mcj6986

Trader

It's vomit inducing that I was trying to acquire a handful of loons so I could trade for one pappy black magick? Essentially getting ripped off really and not being the one ripping off myself? You guys are really special. You need to obviously find some other things in life to stress over. Done here. Continue with your know it all beer circle jerk. Find someone else to attack

15. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Dude, you're the one literally auctioning off beer for financial gain. It doesn't get much lower than that. I've sat back and stayed quiet on everything but that's one thing I can't stomach.

STG228, Brewski, Matthouse3 and 5 others like this.
  16. Mcj6986

Trader

It was never for financial gain. Did you not read my post. I originally was going to trade it for a couple loons so I could in turn trade it for the pappy bm. Then the guy with pappy bm upped it even more wanting another loon. That's when I figured Itd be easier to sell them and just buy the loons separately since it would be nearly impossible to get the looNS he wanted in one single trade. I backed off, told him I didn't want to do it because it was just too much and removed the post on mbc. I get it if it offended some of you guys, but 1. I removed it and 2. It was NEVER for financial gain! I don't see what is so hard to understand about the whole thing. I wrote a book explaining it. WHY would I make that up?!

17. Mcj6986

Trader

If I'm guilty of anything it's giving up way too much for one single bottle thus upping the value sky high. I admit that, that's part of why I backed off. Just wasn't worth the headache. Sheesh, but the headache here is neverending. I've asked people to let it go. I explained myself. And I keep getting alerts getting attacked and called out on a beer fan message board. It's kind of silly and pathetic if you think about it

18. Tmwright7

Tmwright7 Initiate (117) Feb 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

Has anyone tried Short's brewing beers? Their distribution is set to hit Pittsburgh in the next two weeks. Anything we should look out for?

STG228 likes this.
  19. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (508) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

It's no different than buying a concert ticket, waiting for the show to sell out and then asking 5x what you paid for the ticket. It's just taking advantage of people who have more money than sense.

Just my opinion. Take it with a grade of slaw... Or a grate of saws, or something.

20. kbuzz

ew...this thread is just getting worse by the minute...

at what price?

I know diehard voodoo fanboys who can't even get a few of these beers and you're over there selling them for a nice little profit so you can buy overpriced loons.

maybe if you really helped people out the way you say you do, one of those so-called "friends" might crack a loon or pappy bm with you.

beer karma, dawg...

STG228, Brewski, Matthouse3 and 4 others like this.
  21. Mcj6986

Trader

You are probably right and that's why as enticing as the pappy bm was, I decided against the entire thing. Honestly to me, if I couldn't get another special beer in the process, getting some money for such great rare stouts from this release, wouldn't mean much to me. They'd probably be much more in trade value down the road (especially manbearpig) and it would be crazy hard for me to get those beers back if I ended up really liking them.

22. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

I've had a few, they are pretty ok. They literally have like 420 seasonals that come out so its hard to keep track but I've enjoyed Space Rock, Luma Lupulus, Soft Parade, and Cup o Joe. The Intergalatic Gargle Blaster is supposed to be excellent so I'm hoping that comes around.

23. Mcj6986

Trader

Most of my "beer friends" love craft beer, but don't do the trading so I'm usually the one sharing "good stuff". But, I'm such an a-hole, who would think that lol

24. dannyfayy

dannyfayy Disciple (362) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

@RyanMcFly1985 called, he said they miss you in the "new to ohio" thread.

25. Mcj6986

Trader

Lol. Glad you guys are having fun with this. Look, I never went through with any of what is in discussion. As far as I've known, thinking about doing something and going through with it are two different things. I get why it bugged people and understand your points. Not sure what else you're looking for.

26. barflybastard

As mentioned, they do have a shit-ton of seasonals--and, with that kind of rotation, I'm wondering what kind of lineup we'll see in the 'burgh. Encountered them last at the Great Taste a couple of years ago. Hopstache and the aforementioned Huma Luma stand out in memory. Peaches and Cream too. Think there were one or two other wild/funky that made an impression, but, with all the names, I can't remember which ones.

27. Mounty4Life

Mounty4Life Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

i would really like voodoo to make space cadet again! Had it at the homestead location upon opening and cant understand why it hasnt resurfaced!

28. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Disciple (343) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

It's "New to Ohio", not "#newmoney to Ohio"

29. kbuzz

had a huma luma recently and while not as good as I remember, it was tasty. The buddy that gave me the bottle and I both agreed that it had an "old school" IPA vibe to it...in a good way...

30. barflybastard

Don't disagree with that. And it's been a few years since I've had it--at a fest nonetheless, had to check [third party application name here] to see which of the Short's I favored at that time, because the memory's fuzzy. Excited to get another crack at their lineup in any event.

31. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,034) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

dude. you shoulda taken my advice again. not trying to "bully"... and you can stick up for yourself by all means, but that this point, nothing's being solved. you feel one way. some people feel another. but you're down to the lower mantle at this point. just click the "unwatch thread" button or something. this is only a very small subset of beer traders. just move on.

Matthouse3 and Mcj6986 like this.
  32. Mcj6986

Trader

Yeah. Thanks. Good advice. I'm done. Hopefully everyone can move on to talking about beer now (what these pages are meant for).

Mounty4Life and kbuzz like this.
  33. dtx00

dtx00 Disciple (320) Oct 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yeah like that is going to happen. :grinning:

Matthouse3 and Dogleg like this.
  34. voodoobrewery

voodoobrewery Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Pennsylvania

Is reselling beer on the secondary market legal? Asking for a friend..

STG228, TarHeelPanther, mps and 30 others like this.
  35. Tmwright7

Tmwright7 Initiate (117) Feb 3, 2015 Pennsylvania

Thanks yinz. Browsing through their active beers i see what you mean. I'll try them out if i see them around tahn.

36. sposter4

sposter4 Zealot (541) Mar 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

So this will be the first time I have attended gratitude day. Just wondering if there is a share before or during the event? (So I don't show up empty handed)

37. UcDru

UcDru Devotee (429) Aug 15, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Locals are everywhere my friend....

PA-Michigander likes this.
  38. dannyfayy

dannyfayy Disciple (362) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

In actual beer related news. Draai Laag is releasing Apples & Pears in bottles on Wednesday.

STG228 likes this.
  39. kbuzz

Definitely before and likely also during...can't seem to recall definitively on the latter...

40. UcDru

UcDru Devotee (429) Aug 15, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

@Mcj6986 would do well to listen to guys like @kbuzz who I can say first hand is a quality BAer. Sounds like @Matthouse3 is spot on as well I hate what has happened to beer lately and what is considered acceptable ie the story told to justify your actions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.