Pittsburgh - New Beers & Local Breweries

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by brewgentlemen, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docrates

docrates Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2011 Pennsylvania

Los Chiludos is my jam.. Im no expert on mexican but its the best i have had in pittsburgh by and far.. They are in southpointe not someones porch though..

2. dadavat

dadavat Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2015 Pennsylvania

Los chiludos used to be at in a little house like this behind sarris. They moved to southpointe quite a while ago though, at least 3 years. Their fish tacos are the best I've ever had.

wyckyd_sceptre and Rodosman like this.
  3. dadavat

I worked out there for 7 years. Some of my other favorite places were the bean curd on 19 for sushi and a high quality buffet, this homemade Italian place over by golden pig I think was called destefanos, and the gourmet lunch buffet at Bella sera. All you can eat crab cakes for $14 is hard to beat.

Rodosman likes this.
  4. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (891) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

Dammit. When did these go on for real? And why weren't they mentioned in their weekly newslette? Need to try both for sure. Their pales are unbeatable and I've been waiting for them to do something big and dark just to see what the new brewer can do in that department.

EDIT: Just realized they probably are going on this week and they just updated the site early. Disregard. Except needing to try them...that still applies :grinning:

#12044 kbuzz, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Dogleg and Crisb184 like this.
  5. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,024) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

grilled or fried?
    worlds of difference.

6. dadavat

They actually have both but I preferred the fried. The grilled is a seared tuna I believe.

7. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,024) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

dayjm. that 2na sounds delectable. do they serve beers there? or is it BYOB do you know?
    (I would check yelp or something, but that shit's always wrong)

8. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Poo-Bah (1,784) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I always BMOB. No one says anything. On occasion I'll put an empty 32oz growler on the table to prove I'm not messing around.

brother_rebus and wyckyd_sceptre like this.
  9. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

That's awesome. Sometimes I worry my life is one long fever dream and I just kind of make shit up. Or fill in holes with nonsense. (I think) there's another good Mexican joint in Greentree that's one of those converted house joints too.

Allow me to rant for a second - it really grinds my gears that there's like 8 places in the city to get "gourmet foodie tacos" but aside from Reyna/Edgar's and La Palapa you have to drive to the burbs. Peduto really needs to do something about this. (El Sol is the best Mexican BEER)

Dogleg, barflybastard and Griggsy like this.
  10. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (507) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

@oldmetalguy should be able to go to Voodoo now since AC/DC had to postpone their tour.

11. Dogleg

Dogleg Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2014 Pennsylvania

They finally died?

12. kbuzz

I probably shouldn't like this, but I did anyway...:grinning:

STG228, oldmetalguy and Dogleg like this.
  13. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Malcolm is in pretty rough shape these days. Pretty sure he's in a home due to dementia.

14. dadavat

Coincidentally I work right by the Mexican place in Greentree now. I've given them plenty of chances and its always been a letdown. I haven't had the huevos rancheros yet so I'll give them one more shot.

barflybastard likes this.
  15. barflybastard

barflybastard Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

One of my three determinants as to worthiness of a Mexican joint, in addition to tacos and how many dishes include chorizo.

brother_rebus, Dogleg and Tmwright7 like this.
  16. oldmetalguy

oldmetalguy Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2015 Pennsylvania

Rough crowd in here...

17. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Haha coincidentally I got the huevos rancheros and they were good. But this was like 4 years ago so who knows.

If corn tortillas aren't an option, I'm out.

18. oldmetalguy

so now the question is, can I choose where to pick them up, or do I have to go to Homestead?

19. kbuzz

if it makes you feel any better, I actually like AC/DC quite a bit...

20. Grodd87

Grodd87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

ac/dc is a band I want to hate but always listen to them when they r on.

kbuzz likes this.
  21. Brewski

Brewski Devotee (436) Jul 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

For those about to be pushed in a wheelchair, we salute you! FIRE!!!

22. OneDropSoup

OneDropSoup Meyvn (1,086) Dec 9, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

There are also Atlas Brew Works in DC, & much further away, Atlas Brands, a European importer for a lot of Italian craft breweries. Always wondered if this name would cause friction. I'm amazed that three of the four breweries in Erie have "Erie" in the name, that drives me nuts.

Griggsy likes this.
  23. oldmetalguy

Am I not seeing a setting in account preferences so that people can view my profile / wants ?

24. barflybastard

You account is on general privacy lock down, but if I pull up your avatar and view your beers, I can get access to your wants/gots.

oldmetalguy likes this.
  25. oldmetalguy

ok. thanks.

is the only setting for that the "View your identities" ?

I don't see anything else for that?

26. barflybastard

That I'm aware, you can control, who can: view your birthday, start a conversation with you, view your identity and view your account activity (where you are/were on site recently). Not sure if there is more. At present, I can start a conversation with you and see you very basic info--I cannot see your birthday or view your account details.

Edit: forgot to quote you, @oldmetalguy and I don't know how to do that with edit; so tag.

oldmetalguy likes this.
  27. Rodosman

Rodosman Aspirant (215) Mar 16, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If anyone sees bottles of Clown Shoes Luchador en Fuego around let me know. I see people posting in Latest hauls pics and really like this brew.

KJ2013 likes this.
  28. oldmetalguy

thanks!

29. steve3o18

steve3o18 Initiate (13) Nov 25, 2013 Massachusetts

I've been seeing less and less clown shoes stuff around in general

brother_rebus and Rodosman like this.
  30. dannyfayy

dannyfayy Disciple (362) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Nice to see Draai Laag distributing bottles of "Relic" and "Apples and Pears" via Shelton Brothers before they let Pittsburghers buy them.

31. Rodosman

Rodosman Aspirant (215) Mar 16, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Ive thought the same thing.

32. Preluderl

Trader

A&P is available at their tap room starting tomorrow, but I'm wondering about Relic myself.

33. kbuzz

ew...for real?

34. Preluderl

Trader

Pic of cases going out to Shelton Bros today.

[​IMG]

35. dadavat

I'm heading up to Scranton today for work. I was going to hit sabatini's for dinner but i might have a little time to shop around. Do you guys have any other recommendations up that way?

36. barflybastard

Paging @PSU_Mike , think he had some recommendations for that area.

PSU_Mike likes this.
  37. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Sabatini's is all you need. Literally the best bottle shop I've been to. Krugel's Georgetown Deli is kind of like Dee's is here. Good selection. Ridiculous price. J&H in Plains is also pretty good. Depending on how you go, J&H to Sabatini's is an easy swing.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26424/?view=ratings J&H
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18785/?view=ratings Krugels

In terms of breweries, Brewer Brewing in Wilkes-Barre Township is supposed to be the tops in the area (REALLY not saying much). Benny's Brewing in Hanover Township may or may not be opened yet but I've heard good things about his beer, particularly his hoppy stuff. Endless in Montrose is supposed to be excellent but Montrose is north of North Bumfuck, Nowhere. The more north of Scranton you go, the more rural it gets and Montrose is an hour north of Scranton..think backwoods West Virginia.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24757/ Benny's (ignore the address listed, it's on the San Souci Highway, Hanover Township, PA 18706, somewhere around the 1400s in terms of address)
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29177/ Endless
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19304/ Breaker

Susquehanna is really widely available there. He's pretty strictly very traditional german-style lagers so if you're into that sort of thing, they are easy to find. Goldencold Lager took 3rd at the GABF in the Helles category. That's their flagship and it's in every bar in that corner of the state.

38. dadavat

Thank you very much for all the info. Sabatini's will be my first stop since its on the way to my hotel. I've actually driven past Endless in Montrose before and was really confused because it literally is in the middle of nowhere. I won't be stopping there this time but I'll keep it on the list for the next time I'm that far north.

39. sposter4

sposter4 Zealot (541) Mar 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Didn't see this on here yet but it looks like there may be a ManBearPig glass!

[​IMG]

Rodosman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.