Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Pittsburgh Tasting Sign Up

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by london1o1, Dec 12, 2012.

1. HopFace

Beer Trader

I don't think we should limit to just 8% ABV and above. Then you are leaving out most sours/lambics.

2. kbuzz

Beer Trader

just noticing this thread now...I should be able to make it if on the 15th.

3. jlflorance

UPDATE: John got back to me and said he would be able to accommodate us. I just need to let him know the date, how many people, and the time.

1. I think we should shoot for the 15th at 8pm. That way people have a chance to get home from work and get situated.

2. I also thought it might be fun to have a drawing for a basket of beer. If you would want to be in the drawing then bring an extra 12oz to put in and your name will go into the drawing.

3. HopFace raised a good point so lets scrap the abv limit.

4. I would appreciate if everyone who is interested would chime in so I can gauge whether to proceed or not.

5. I will then make a sign up sheet and post a link here to make it official and to give to John.

6. John attached a catering menu as well. I am not sure if you can order off of the regular menu, but I will ask.

7. Thank you for being patient. I am juggling a lot right now between work, school, and internship, but it looks like everything is coming together.

Minimum of 10 people
    7% PA sales tax
    20% gratuity on food sales
    No room rental fee
    $50 non-refundable deposit
    Free re-fills on pitchers of soda

There are two options: For $10

Pick 2

Pick 1
    Fries

Chicken Strips (3)
    Homemade Chips

Taquitos (2)
    Nachos

Wings (3)
    Pretzels (1.5)

Pulled Pork Sliders (2)
    Samosas (1)

Honey Sticks (1.5)

For $12

Pick 2

Pick 2
    Fries

Chicken Strips (3)
    Homemade Chips

Taquitos (2)
    Nachos

Wings (3)
    Pretzels (1.5)

Pulled Pork Sliders (2)
    Samosas (1)

Honey Sticks (1.5)

You can also order a dozen wings for $7.50

4. jlflorance

Sorry the menu list posted funky;

For $10 per person:
    Pick 2:Fries, chips, nachos, pretzles, samosas, honey sticks.
    Pick 1:Chicken strips, taquitos, wings, pulled pork sliders

For $12 per person:
    Pick 2:Fries, chips, nachos, pretzles, samosas, honey sticks.
    Pick 2:Chicken strips, taquitos, wings, pulled pork sliders

5. jlflorance

Thank you kbuzz

6. dtx00

Beer Trader

Um if you have a tasting on a friday nite and say 20 people show up I'm guessing you wont get to drink all your beer because the place will be closing. Just my 2 cents. Most tastings I've been to have lasted a minimum of 4-6 hrs. Our last one at 99 bottles started in the afternoon, maybe 2 or 3, and I left at 8 or 9 and there were a few people still there. Also what with the 50 non refundable deposit? The arrangement we always had with places is that we are bringing people into your establishment, if they buy se food or drink, thats business they wouldn't normally have. If they are charging a fee and making you buy food they are really making out like bandits.

Either way though I'm probably in for this.

7. jlflorance

The space at the beerhive is only available Friday. He said he may be able to accommodate on a different day but wasn't sure. They are open till 230 am. However, I do see your point. We could always move it to 6pm. I just wanted people to have time getting home from work.

I am not sure if we have to us the catering option. I am checking on that. I agree with you. They will be making out even if half of us bought food off of the regular menu.

Again, I am open to suggestions for different venues. I figured I would check this option out first since it was offered.

8. dtx00

Beer Trader

Venues are difficult. That was a lot of the headaches that went into orgainizing the previous ones. We used to have good success at OTB on the southside. They were super accomadating to us, but we havnt had a tasting there in probably 2 years or more. We thought we were going to have a good setup at Bocktown, but we told them that like 30 people were showing up and they pretty much reserved the outside for us and maybe 12 people showed up. They were still cool, but might be hesitent to let us do it there again, plus with it being winter, there is no way they have the space to accomadate us inside. The Library was were we held our very first tasting, might be another option. You really need to get out there and ask because some people are cool with the bringing in of outside bottles, others are not.

O and again to be clear not saying this is a bad option, hell might be the only option. Just trying to put everything into perspective.

9. jlflorance

I appreciate the feedback. Again, I am new to the event planning business;). Finding a place that will let us bring bottles is a challenge. I have a couple other places in mind that I need to contact. I with check with the library as well. But, yeah the beehive may be our only option. If it is, I want everyone to be comfortable with the spot. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon.

10. jeevo

Beer Trader

Library would be a chill place to have a tasting, as I'm guessing they would have it upstairs. Was just down there on Saturday. They had Southern Tier's Choklat on tap. And you can't beat their 5-7 and 9-11 happy hour they have every day of the week.

11. kbuzz

Beer Trader

I don't know...was kinda looking forward to going to someplace I'd never been before. The $50 price tag is a little bit of a turnoff, but I'm with Sam - no matter the location choice, I'll be there.

12. jlflorance

UPDATE: OK, John got back to me. The $50 deposit IS refundable. It is just to hold the space. You can order off of the regular menu, but he said it would take longer as they are busy on a friday, and we would get our food at different times. That is why he suggested the catering option. I do not think it is a bad idea. I am going to go there this weekend to check it out, but I think we should move forward.

For a start time. 6pm or 7pm?

13. OneDropSoup

Subscriber

The first ever of these tastings was at The Library. They had it upstairs, it was pretty big, they did some specialty kegs & had food laid out. Then we had another there a few months later. They put us into the downstairs bar, which was crowded, & hooked us up with none of the "extras" of the previous one. After that we were told they didn't really want to do them any more.

And with the $50 deposit at BeerHive - I'd organized one at D's Loft. $100 just for the room (nice space) & the bartender (they had to have a bartender, they said). I thought food was included. It wasn't, & I found out the day of that we had to pay for our own pizza. I felt like an ass asking folks to shell out *more* money than previously planned, & contributed a hefty chunk of own cash to cover the rest. Never again.

14. kbuzz

Beer Trader

With the $50 deposit now refundable, I say all systems go for Beerhive.

7 would work better for me.

15. jpatton0127

you can count me in

16. jlflorance

Cool. Let's do it. The beerhive on February 15th at 7pm.

I will post the official rules and sign up sheet either tonight or tomorrow. I need to tell John how many we will have.

I say we just do the catering. It's cheap and easy. After all we are there to drink beer. We need at least ten people for the catering. After that if someone wants to order from the regular menu they can.

17. mgbickel

I am rarely on here now, so I just noticed this posting...glad to see that someone stepped up to take the lead!

I have organized a few of these big public tastings in the past...here are a few tips:

Make sure Beerhive is willing to supply water and pitchers for rinsing (I know...should be a given...)
    Ice buckets or fridge space is a must...if they do not have it, ask people to bring coolers
    There is a Pittsburgh Craft Beer Group on Facebook...post the event there also (contact me if you need to)

I hope I can make it...will have to see what the wife wants to do, but I think this is a great way to celebrate Valentine's Day!!

Cheers!

18. jlflorance

Thank you for the advice. One of my requests were for a constant flow of glasses. I wasn't sure if that would be practical, but the idea wasn't turned down.

Did you just rinse your own glasses? I am going to ask that there be pitchers of ice water anyway.

Keeping the beers cold was another concern of mine. I was thinking about coolers or even my mini fridge

I am going to the beerhive on Saturday so I will talk with ten in person and get everything squared away.

Yeah, definitely let the craft beer group know. I would but am not on Facebook.

I will post the official info and link to the sign up sheet this evening.

Really hoping to get a good turn out so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Also. Can I creat a new thread for the sign up or just post it in here? Maybe the op could change the title? Not sure how it works

19. mgbickel

One glass per person should be fine...maybe a water glass also. We usually have a few pitchers full of water for rinsing and a few empty for dumping. Most places will provide ice and buckets...I'm sure they will be willing to provide them.

As for sign-ups, I would create an event here on BA...people can RSVP then. I will try to post something to FB once you create the event here...so I can just copy and paste!!

20. jlflorance

PITTSBURGH TASTING

Where: The Beerhive in the strip. 2117 Penn Ave

When: February, 15th at 7:00pm

What to bring: 1 - 22oz or 2 - 12oz (minimum), of beer not easily accessible in Pittsburgh

Raffle: Bring a 12oz bottle of beer to contribute to a basket that we can then raffle off. 1-12oz gets your name entered in. This is optional, but would be awesome to get as many people as possible to do this.

Food situation: I have put the catering options onto the sign up sheet. We need at least 10 people to choose the catering to make it happen. You can order separately from this, but I think it will be a lot easier just to get the catering so we all get food at the same time.

Sign Up: I have attached a link to a google doc. I have already filled it out for myself as an example. Please try and sign up if you are attending so I can pass the information on to the beerhive.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ_JQlXZmCkdDBRM09CTGtXVFNpSW9Hc2hqOHNSYUE

Thank you for being patient and for those of you who have offered me good suggestions. I hope this turns out great and look froward to meeting all of you.

Cheers, Jared

21. jlflorance

Forgot to mention I need to have the sign up sheet to the beerhive asap. Hopefully by early next week.

22. jlflorance

To london101. If you can, will you edit the thread title to say pittsburgh tasting sign up. Tried to message you but your inbox is full

23. randylangford

Beer Trader

24. kbuzz

Beer Trader

All signed up - can't wait!

25. jlflorance

Sweet! Thanks guys!

26. mgbickel

Nice job with this Jared!

I posted the details on the FB page...hopefully people will follow the rules and sign up on your google doc. The Pittsburgh Craft Beer Group there has about 100 members...I think 2 showed up to the last tasting I got together!

27. jlflorance

Thank You. I appreciate you doing that. Hopefully, more than 2 will sign up ;) . I hope to see you there!

28. wizzy

If you guys ever have one on a Mon-Wed, please let me know (Mondays are tough; get up at 4am to get to the airport). I'm a traveler in town most weeks, staying downtown. Live in Michigan, and willing to check a bag.

kbuzz likes this.
  29. yinzer

Nice list on the Google Docs. I'd really like to try some Crooked Stave. I've done Chad's Brett Baltic Porter HB 100% Brett that people like.I could bring that.

I've bought two Parabolas but didn't taste either. I gave them away.

Will there be a rough head count leading up to the event? I just ask because that will tell me to bring 33cl/12oz or bombers. Then again I still have that 3L of Double Bastard from Dee's bought 2003, that should always get me in.

30. jlflorance

I am hoping that everyone that is coming will sign up on the list, but unfortunately I can't guarantee that they will. I will keep the sign up sheet open till next weekend. We should have an idea of the head count by then.
    Hope to see you there.

31. yummybeer

Beer Trader

I'm in too!

32. OneDropSoup

Subscriber

Interesting approach, everyone sharing ahead of time what they're bringing.

33. Shmuffalo

Beer Trader

Disappointed I'll be out of town and can't make it. The Beer Hive is awesome. And do I see a Hardywood Gingerbread Stout?! Color me a sad Shmuffalo.

34. jlflorance

Ok, So I went to the beerhive today and it is a great spot. The food is really good, and the space is perfect. I talked with john and he is very accommodating to our needs.

One issue. I messed up on the catering detail. We do not get to pick individual items. Basically, I will pick 2 apps and 1 entree and you guys will just pay $10 bucks and it will be a buffet style. Sorry for the misinformation. I just had this clarified today. I will change everyones response that requested catering to a simple YES. If you decide you do not want to do this just change it to NO, but again we need at least 10 people to do the catering.

Again, I apologize. Thank you for your patience.

Jared

35. kbuzz

Beer Trader

No worries...appreciate the updated info...I'm still a yes and I'll eat whatever...

36. jlflorance

Thanks man! If only all of us were this easy going!

37. jlflorance

Looks like this may be a small tasting so far, but damn that makes me excited to have more of these awesome beers!!

38. kbuzz

Beer Trader

Most of us are though, right?? :D

39. jlflorance

Geez, I hope so......;)

40. yummybeer

Beer Trader

Bite me

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe