Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Pizza boy

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by TroyG2352, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TroyG2352

TroyG2352 Initiate (143) Jan 19, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Has pizza boy opened their barrel bar yet?

2. DrBier

DrBier Poo-Bah (1,607) Jun 12, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Al put a list of firkins on Facebook that he wants to start to tap. Looks good.

3. Jaysus

Jaysus Initiate (154) Jan 16, 2003 Pennsylvania

Why can't I find any of the other Pizza Boy threads... are the terms "Al's" or "Boy" to short to search for? What am I missing?

4. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

I believe the recurring thread that StormKing started was deleted for whatever reason.

5. runner_pe

runner_pe Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 Pennsylvania

I've tried to post two new threads over the weekend about the Pappy van Winkle Chocolate Porter & SSU Little Amps beers that were (and currently are) on tap. The 1st thread was approved by the mod & went live. Within 2 hours the thread was yanked without explanation. I posted a 2nd thread yesterday. It either was not approved by the mod or the same outcome happened as its no where to be found!

6. Edwin

Edwin Disciple (352) May 8, 2003 Pennsylvania

Well this is odd.

The Pappy Van Winkle Chocolate Porter is phenomenal, BTW. Better than the stout, IMO.

7. Abnrml

Abnrml Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2011 Pennsylvania

I've never been to Al's/pizza boy, I plan on heading up there in the next week or two. A few questions for those that have been
    1. Do they fill growlers of all the pizza boy beers? (i.e. the pappy porter and stout)
    2. Do they only fill generic and al's growlers? Or will they fill other breweries growlers since its not technically a brewpub?

8. stmgl01

stmgl01 Aspirant (202) Dec 11, 2007 Pennsylvania

They filled my Tired Hands growlers a week or so ago. That being said, hopefully they've sorted out their issues with thin necked swing top growlers because both growlers I purchased had nothing but air in the entire neck of the bottle. Not so great for holding carbonation. The beers tasted alright but I felt as though I didn't get a good representation of the product.

9. DrBier

Subscriber

As of this week they are on filling their 32oz screw tops, but will exchange one or theirs for yours. Don't know about the larger ones. Apple Sour on today, different aroma, quite sour but very drinkable, not a lot of apple. My vote is Pappy Little Amps over the Pappy Porter.

10. dfields

dfields Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

They are currently only filling their own 32oz growlers because the openings on the swing tops are too small to fit a tube into. My guess is, if you brought a similar 32oz growler (like one from Cigar City) it won't be a problem.

11. brez8791

brez8791 Devotee (471) Nov 14, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Any idea when they are going to start offering the Pizza Boy flights again?

ncaudle likes this.
  12. bvdubn

bvdubn Disciple (347) Dec 1, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I agree. I actually like this better than the Pappy Sunny Side too because there was just so much going on in the Pappy Sunny Side.

13. GeoffreyM

GeoffreyM Devotee (475) Feb 23, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I couldn't really decide which Pappy I liked better. At first, I leaned toward the chocolate, but as they warmed up, I couldn't really decide. Both are fantastic though.

14. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (602) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

they don't do flights?
    will be there next wednesday as I work my way up to HF for the 3rd anny party and want to try as much of the Pizza Boy stuff as I can (and still be able to drive to Tired Hands that afternoon...)

15. brez8791

brez8791 Devotee (471) Nov 14, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

They did flights at the old brew pub, last I heard they were going to do flights at the new one but no date has been given on that. I went up last weekend and they were not doing flights.

16. ffejherb

ffejherb Poo-Bah (2,307) Oct 18, 2006 Pennsylvania

1. PVW-SSU-LA is f-ing AMAZING!
    2. Really enjoyed the Apple Sour! MUCH better than I had anticipated.
    3. As far as I know, there are no plans to offer beer flights.
    4. They WILL replace the old 32oz. swing-top growlers with the new Pizza Boy medicine jar growlers.
    5. Patio will be open SOON!

Really glad to see some of their beers appearing on the Top 100 new beers list!

17. shadowane

shadowane Aspirant (204) Sep 7, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

You all keep harping about this. Why does it matter? Isn't it better that you like the beers rather than being in some arbitrary list? I guess it means they trade better but that's about the only reason I can think that makes this meaningful.

18. DrBier

Subscriber

I keep pushing Al for fairly priced sample pours. At a 100 tap bar many times there are a half dozen or more beers on the list you want to try, nice to get sm. pours to decide what you might like to try larger servings of. Paricularly for those of us traveling. Pretty sure Al & Casey were comparing notes on running a 100 tap beer nirvana on Tues. We'll see.

19. Edwin

Edwin Disciple (352) May 8, 2003 Pennsylvania

Because it is fun to see our friends' beers being held in high regard?

Deuane likes this.
  20. shadowane

shadowane Aspirant (204) Sep 7, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yeah I guess that's true enough. Just seems like telling them their beers are awesome means a lot more than some silly list that is being propped up by reviews by randoms.

edit: I'm not trying to be negative, I just found it odd. Keep touting that list on twitter and here, by all means. Not like you need my permission.

21. ffejherb

It's just nice to see them getting recognition. It will only give Pizza Boy beers more exposure and hopefully drive more people to the brewpub.

22. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm pretty sure Pizzaboy doesn't need to be on a list to drive people to the pub. That's what having a bunch of bottled beer only meant to be consumed on site is for anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

ncaudle likes this.
  23. pumpkin1

pumpkin1 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2006 Pennsylvania

Can't wait for the outdoor patio to open! Whooo!

24. ffejherb

Actually, it will FORCE people to go to the brewpub because they won't be able to trade for any of these beers since they cannot leave the premesis with the bottles. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.