Pizza Hut Beer Delivery Expands to Nearly 300 Restaurants Ahead of Super Bowl LIII

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,621) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

PIZZA HUT BEER DELIVERY EXPANDS TO NEARLY 300 RESTAURANTS AHEAD OF SUPER BOWL LIII

New participating states include: Florida, Iowa, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio and additional locations in California and Arizona

PLANO, Tex. (January 7, 2019) – The expansion continues – and isn’t expected to stop – with Pizza Hut adding more restaurants to its category-first beer delivery program. Today, the company announced the second expansion of the program to nearly 300 restaurants across Florida, Iowa, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, and additional locations across California and Arizona by mid-January. The rollout is a brand priority, with Pizza Hut aiming to grow beer delivery capabilities to 1,000 restaurants across new markets by Summer 2019.

The announcement is aptly timed ahead of Super Bowl LIII, one of the busiest days of the year for Pizza Hut. According to a recent survey, 86% of Americans plan to serve both pizza and beer at their upcoming Super Bowl party this year. With this recent expansion, Pizza Hut is serving more customers than ever as a one-stop-shop for both.

“As the official Pizza Sponsor of the NFL, we’ve been celebrating football fans all season long, so it only makes sense for us to bring more customers the beloved combo of pizza and beer ahead of the Super Bowl,” said Marianne Radley, Chief Brand Officer, Pizza Hut. “We are proud to be pioneers of beer delivery and are well-poised to take on more markets in the coming year.”

In December 2017, Pizza Hut launched its beer delivery pilot program in Arizona and expanded to parts of California five months later. Now, in 2019, with strong franchise partner participation, the company is in seven different states with additional markets forthcoming.

“Our expanded beer delivery program and Super Bowl weekend creates a great level of excitement across our participating franchise partners and team members,” said Nicolas Burquier, Chief Customer and Operations Officer, Pizza Hut. “Beer delivery is a game-changing lever that we’ll continue to pull in order to deliver oven-hot pizzas with ice-cold beer to customers watching and celebrating their favorite teams.”

“Super Bowl Sunday is one of our biggest days of the year, and now being able to offer the pizza-beer delivery combo in Orlando, FL during the big game, is a great upgrade our customers will truly enjoy,” said Carl Vannostrand, President and COO of CFL Pizza, a Pizza Hut franchisee organization.

Qualifying orders must meet delivery minimum requirements and be placed through PizzaHut.com, the Pizza Hut Mobile App for iPhone and Android or via phone. Delivery fees apply. For more information about Pizza Hut visit Blog.PizzaHut.com or head to PizzaHut.com to order now.

About Pizza Hut
    Pizza Hut, a subsidiary of Yum! Brands, Inc. (NYSE: YUM ), has more restaurant locations in the world than any other pizza company. Founded in 1958 in Wichita, Kan., Pizza Hut operates over 16,800 restaurants in more than 100 countries.

With easy order options including the Pizza Hut app, mobile site, and Amazon and Google devices, Pizza Hut is committed to providing an easy pizza experience – from order to delivery – and has Hut Rewards, the Pizza Hut loyalty program, that offers points for every dollar spent on food any way you order.

Pizza Hut is also the proprietor of The Literacy Project, an initiative designed to enable access, empower teachers and inspire a lifelong love of reading. The program is rooted in the foundation set by the Pizza Hut BOOK IT! Program, which is the longest-running corporate supported literacy program, impacting more than 14 million students each year. For more information, visit www.pizzahut.com. Pizza Hut is the Official and Only Pizza Sponsor of the NFL and NCAA.

###

tzieser likes this.
  2. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,001) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Any bets for what the best beer they'll offer? I'm guessing we'd be lucky if we even see Boston Lager.

3. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (45) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

This would be awesome if Pizza Hut didn't have shitty pizza and I'm pretty sure the beer they will have to offer will be just as horrible.

4. honkey

honkey Zealot (544) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium Industry

Sometimes, shitty pizza is where it’s at! It’s like Taco Bell... they’re not really tacos, but it still tastes delicious!

5. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,504) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Im sure it will be bud light, bud, miller lite, etc ... but I could also see something like Lagunitas being offered.

6. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,031) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

One of the local mom and pop pizza joints near me has been doing this for years and from what I can tell, has been successful at it.

7. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Zealot (510) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I've heard it's coming to Pennsylvania just in time for the first of never.

8. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Champion (808) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

"Current beers available for the service include Blue Moon, Bud Light, Budweiser, Busch Light, Coors Light, Corona Extra, Kilt Lifter, Michelob Ultra, Miller Lite, Miller High Life, Shock Top and Stella Artois. Price point varies on availability and market, but generally range from $3 to $5 for a two-pack and $6 to $12 for a 6-pack."

9. tzieser

Trader

Thank you.

Ugh, Kilt Lifter. Of course. They could've chose Hop Knot, 8th Street Pale, or my personal fav by Four Peaks, Sunbru Kolsch, but no. They send in the Kilt Lifter. Again.

10. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Disciple (398) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Premium

I can see why roll out is successful and a priority for Yum Brands.
    1. High profit margins on a product that you currently stock. No additional start up costs. Perhaps promotional pricing from distributors to kick off roll out.
    2. No new or extra training needed for employees. Minimal at most.
    3. This is a pure “add on” to an already profitable plan. You are delivering a pizza to an address, beer is just an added item and profit.
    4. Total sale increases which may translate to larger tip for delivery staff.
    All by simply adding beer to your delivery menu.
    Taco Bell In Madison, Wisconsin has applied for and received a license to sell beer and wine. Sales are limited to 10 - 11pm depending on day.

stevesbeer likes this.
  11. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (444) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Honestly, in the bottom of the barrel pizza lottery (I'm talking Little Caesars, Chanelos, Papa Js, Dominos, Pizza Hut)... I'd take Pizza Hut (for taste) and Little Caesars (for value... 5$ish pizzas)

12. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,252) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium Trader

So would I, but why go there?

My days of trying to pick the best pizza available from the "bottom of the barrel" are long since over. In fact, even when I was a poor, just out of college worker at a local 7-11, I still tried to buy the best pizza I could (for as little money as possible). Invariably, the Hut wasn't it.

As for beer delivery, my guess is that it's only a matter of time before this becomes much more wide spread, with much better beer options.

https://www.bbaybrewery.com/beerdelivery

13. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,680) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

14. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,509) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

This is literally the first time in my entire life that I have read/heard anyone say that Taco Bell tastes delicious. I was sure I would die first.

Jaycase and TurkeysDrinkBeer like this.
  15. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,509) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Even if they started delivering Mexican Cake or Hill Farmstead, I would seriously ponder the decision to order any of their pizza.

16. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (444) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Complete agreement with you, my comment was based on "if these were the ONLY options". Lots of better pizza options in my area as well. Because usually with the better pizza place comes better beer.

17. tzieser

Trader

@honkey isn't alone. Cheesy Gordita Crunch is where it's at.

That being said though, I definitely didn't go to Taco Bells any when I was living in Arizona. The closest I came was a Del Taco (which was awful). El Güero Canelo, BK Carne Asada, Poco & Mom's, and all of the "-os" places (Betos, Ponchos, Nicos, Filibertos, Los Favoritos) had me by the balls.....and a lot of hiking in the Catalinas made up for it.

And there's my "coolstorybro" rant of the day

EDIT: Also, Weedy, check out Mi Casa Restaurant in Benson. Be sure to try the carrot cake. You can thank me later

#17 tzieser, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,264) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

We had a pizza shop in town years ago that would deliver beer as well. Little Big Man. I never indulged because I was not a fan of their pizza.

FatBoyGotSwagger and tzieser like this.
  19. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (251) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Couldn't real delivery workers just do it too, like via Amazon? Or GrubHub/Uber eats drivers?

Alcohol is highly regulated in NM so this is 9-10 yrs down the line. Although at home delivery service could cut down on DUIs. But these minimum wage workers will now need to be the judge if they can 'release' the beer to drunk individuals? Sounds like some lawsuits in the making.

20. FBarber

Premium Trader

At least here in Chicago Amazon Fresh delivers beer and its actually a decent selection (think your average grocery store with a decent selection of basic craft beers.)

BuffaloBill12, Harrison8 and tzieser like this.
  21. riegler

riegler Initiate (78) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

Delicious at all hours of the day! People are really going to tell me they've never gone to taco bell after a night of drinking? Not too many spots open after bar close in my small town. Taco bell was essential!

22. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (678) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Back in the day I could get kegs or cases delivered to me from beer distributors in Philadelphia.

Today I have a car and I don’t buy kegs do I don’t know if this is still being done.

Pizza..... I only make my own for the last 15 plus years. Crazy cheap and I get what I want.

Enjoy

BrewmanCapote and FBarber like this.
  23. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Devotee (409) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Trader

Simple bean burrito for me, and I've been eating that since I was a teenager in the late seventies. BK's for my carne asada fix of choice, and the guac/chips and quesadillas also rock, and yes, Sunbru is my favorite offering from Four Peaks, a really nice Kolsch, and I buy the twelvers in the hot weather(half the year) and it's good straight from the can. I do need to make a visit to Tombstone and visit Weedy, it's been a while.

tzieser likes this.
  24. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Disciple (336) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

There are few places beside a liquor store that you can buy beer in N.J.. Whole Foods allows 2 stores in the entire state to sell beer. No other grocer, 7-11,Drug store,gas station,etc..

FBarber likes this.
  25. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,362) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

It's not up to Whole Foods to "allow" two of their stores to be licensed to sell alcoholic beverages in NJ - the two store limit is based on NJ ABC law (pg 77):
    That is determined by municipal ordinance, not state law (NJ ABC law pg 46):
    There are a number of towns in NJ that have allowed grocery and drug stores to be licensed for off-premise alcoholic beverage sales. The Wegmans on Rt. 1 outside of Princeton (same municipality as one of the licensed Whole Foods) sells alcohol on the grocery floor as well as the attached liquor store. Other licenses are held by a Rite Aid in Highland Park, a now-defunct Foodtown in East Brunswick, a couple of Costco's (Edison, for one), etc.

26. jesskidden

That was supposed to be the same municipality -West Windsor- as the licensed "Trader Joe's" - another NJ grocery store chain that sells beer and wine.

Whole Foods appears to get around the 2-store limit by having "Plenary Retail Consumption Licenses" at some of their stores. See the NJ Retail Listing pdf.

Wegmans uses the loophole of having the license in the names of family members, not the corporation. In Manalapan, for instance, the licensee is JWG FINE WINES & SPIRITS (Joan Wegman Goldberg, granddaughter of founder).

NeroFiddled likes this.
  27. FBarber

Premium Trader

I was gonna say - that Whole Foods doesn't have a license much to my mother's annoyance. that being said, the Wegmans on Rt. 1 has a really nice liquor department since they remodeled it.

28. Claude-Irishman

Bored much ? You really get into technicalities which are useless and playing semantics. Technically it is Whole Foods who allows 2 stores to sell beer. They could let 7 stores sell beer and then lose their license. Stupid minutia-

29. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,441) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

That could never happen because without having a license issued they'd never get a distributor to sell them beer; unless you want to be even more crazy and say that they'd just go and buy it retail and re-sell it.

30. NeroFiddled

Premium Trader

By the way, are we allowed to use the term "Super Bowl" again? I thought that was off limits unless you paid for the rights to use the trademark. I was kind of getting used to everyone just saying "big game"!

meanmutt and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  31. Claude-Irishman

Or split the inventory in 1/7 th's

32. jesskidden

Yeah, got my Rt. 1 grocery stores confused there for a minute...

C'mon, Ma - less than a mile down Rt. 1 and you can hit Joe Canal's!

I did notice that the Manalapan Wegmans also enlarged their beer selection - to the point where one can barely walk around in it much less push a shopping card through the stacks.

But, I've always had complaints about Wegmans' beer selection, pricing (no case discount!) and storage. (They had coolers in Manalapan that had lights under the shelving!)

That one in WW I recall best for once finding stacks of cases of Ithaca Flower Power, only to find they were many months old. Across the road, Joe Canal's FP stock was typically only 1-2 weeks - and much cheaper!

FBarber likes this.
  33. BeanBump

BeanBump Disciple (327) Dec 14, 2016 California

Just pick up your own damn beer whilst youre shopping for for whatever youre going to BBQ that day

34. FBarber

Premium Trader

She doesn't like that store - idk why, I always stop in there when Im visiting them and am pleased with their selection.

35. NeroFiddled

Premium Trader

I agree with this. Who's so ill-prepared for the super bowl that they've forgotten beer and are having pizza delivered? Even if I'm going to someone else's house I'm going to make something to bring.

BeanBump and BrewmanCapote like this.
  36. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,953) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

There is an alcohol delivery service here called "Drizzly's". I nearly ordered off it once when I had a girl over and we wanted more wine, but the $30 minimum had me put away my card. If I had more guests over, I'd more seriously consider it.

I was very surprised to see a rather extensive craft beer offering, but Drizzly orders are fulfilled by participating alcohol stores. So you essentially had the stock from a few local retailers distilled into one application and 'location'.

All that said, none of our Pizza Huts are doing alcohol delivery at this point, but then again - I haven't checked.

FBarber likes this.
  37. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,252) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Premium Trader

Yeah, I assume most of us on here aren't the Hut's target audience (as the same thought crossed my mind). Even when I was pretty poor, the SB celebration was something I and my friends planned for in advance, and it never involved pizza from the Hut. Needing to have beer delivered to the party, even more so than a pizza, is pretty unimaginable.

BrewmanCapote likes this.
  38. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (469) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa

I'll admit, I'm intrigued by this. I have better beer available to me, and better pizza. But I'm still intrigued . . .

39. riegler

riegler Initiate (78) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

It said they're the official pizza sponsor of the NFL so I'm sure they're allowed to use the term Super Bowl.

40. NeroFiddled

Premium Trader

I was talking about Todd but I guess he was just quoting.