Places one can still pick up food and beer in PDX during COVID-19 Closures

Discussion in 'US - West' started by John_M, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Was just thinking it might be useful to have an ongoing list of places where one can still pick up food (to go) and beer during the COVID-19 imposed shutdown. Hence this thread...

To the best of my knowledge, all grocery stores are still open, though I'm not sure what the deli and hot food sections are going to be like. My wife and I have been trying to find alternatives for Friday date night, and I've been surprised by the number of places that are completely shut down with no current plans for pick-up or delivery service. So far Grassa is the only place I've found that is doing both delivery and pick-up service (according to their Facebook page). Johns Marketplace is still open, though it's unclear from the Facebook page whether the kitchen is still running.

Saraveza posted that they're still doing food and beer to go. Hours for now are noon to 9:00. Hopworks is doing the same, but also is offering delivery. Ecliptic is doing packaged beer and food to go still. Little Beast is apparently doing home beer deliveries.

I'm sure there must be other places in PDX that are still doing take out/pick-up and delivery service...

#1 John_M, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    PNW likes this.
  2. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Oregon

All Breakside locations are still doing beer to go, and food to go at the pubs. 20% off all beer, and 30% off if you've recently lost your job. Wherever you go, please tip your bartenders and servers accordingly!

3. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Grain & Gristle are doing to-go orders and delivery via Caviar, according to their latest Facebook post.

Edit: Raven & Rose are offering family-style meals for curbside pickup, according to an email I got from them yesterday.

afrokaze likes this.
  4. derftron

derftron Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

you can still buy beer at johns market.

kitchen and bar closed

A_Drunken_Production likes this.
  5. ppilot

ppilot Jul 17, 2009 Oregon

You can get beer to go at pretty much every brewery and beer ba at this point. In terms of to go restaurants, unless they are affiliated with a a restaurant group that decided to shutdown most restaurants appear to be trying to make a go of it with delivery and take out.

6. PNW

PNW Dec 23, 2019 Washington

Little Beast is delivering within the Portland limits. Orders over $75 get a free roll of TP too :rofl:

kemoarps, vurt, BBThunderbolt and 2 others like this.
  7. ppilot

8. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Von Ebert (from their Facebook page):

"Both our Pearl pub and
    Von Ebert Glendoveer
    will remain open regular hours for food and beer to-go orders! We also are offering in-car pickup on your food and beer orders. All we ask is that you call when you arrive and pay ahead."

9. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

The Oregonian did a story about many restaurants are changing their mind about staying open to do takeout and delivery. The cost to do it is much more than expected revenue.

10. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Great Notion is no longer doing food at any of their locations. Just beer to go for now.

11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

There was an article about this in the Oregonian today, and I also saw some online commentary as well. Unfortunately, for a lot of restaurants in town, it simply isn't economically viable for them to switch over to delivery and/or take out system. The owner at Beast mentioned that they were looking into a streamlined take out menu, but when she crunched the numbers, she realized they would have to sell something like 75 meals per day in order to break even (a goal she apparently didn't feel was achievable). Apparently, a number of restaurants have reached the same sad conclusion, and have concluded that it's more economically sensible (not to mention safer) for them to just shut down operations completely until the current situation is past.

I apologize if I'm being overly obvious, but as you probably know, many restaurants depend on alcohol sales to significantly bolster their bottom line. Having to rely solely on food sales in order to make a go of it is likely an insurmountable obstacle for many restaurants in town.

kemoarps, BBThunderbolt and 66jzmstr like this.
  12. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Wayfinder (from an email I received this morning):

The core team here at Wayfinder is working hard to make sense of options going forward, as is everyone. Our immediate plan: we have Beer-To-Go and Food-To-Go, available for pickup 12-8pm, Wed-Sun. We’re currently taking beer & food orders via phone at 503-718-BEER (2337), and food only via Caviar. You can also email us at info@wayfinder.beer. Our you can walk right in and we’ll take care of you ASAP, with proper social distancing of course.

Please note that we’re offering screaming deals on 32oz crowlers (40% off) and 16oz cans (25% off). The beer is here waiting for you, calmly and quietly…come ‘n’ get it.

We’re working on a plan for home beer delivery, as well as a simple online ordering/prepayment page. We’re shooting to go live with these by this weekend, stay tuned.

Our next 16 oz canning run is scheduled for Monday, March 30. We’re going to package a good solid pile of tasty beers for pickup, delivery and shipment to local stores.

Suffice it to say: it breaks our heart to have to lay off nearly all of our talented, hard-working, dedicated and much-loved staff. We’ll do our best to help take care of them. One way you can help our team is by buying our products, so that we’re still here when the current crisis is over. And please do the same for the countless other small, local businesses who are in the same shoes as us.

13. weaverr

weaverr Jun 10, 2008 California

Von Ebert update today - $2.50 cans, $5 crowlers, and BOGO pizzas 7 days a week. Both locations. An additional 50% off for industry workers with valid OLCC or food handlers cards.

Redrover and vurt like this.
  14. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Was just over there and the operation is smooth as silk. They have a table set up just outside the bar area with a food and beer menu. I called 10 minutes in advance, gave them my card upon arrival and was on my way with 4 crowlers in tow a minute later. You can also just order food and beer upon arrival, but of course that slows down the process a bit. Very quick and efficient operation over there.

Only down side was that that they were currently out of cans of Export 66 (but fortunately, I was still able to get a crowler of it).

#14 John_M, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  15. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

That is good to know. I hope it works well enough for them to continue the operation for a while, and I look forward to checking it out for myself as soon as I can.

DefenCorps likes this.
  16. dphi

dphi Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Any cider deliveries? My wife feels left out.

derkruk and distantmantra like this.
  17. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Nor sure where you live but Bar Maven on Foster:
    The olcc has made some emergency changes today to help out during these tough times . With that being said we are able to deliver beer , wine, cider , hard seltzer’s and non alcoholic beverages to your door step . We’ve have several of our front and back of the house offer to do deliveries during these times . With our @bodegapdx inventory and license we would be able to deliver to your home until 2am . Please leave us with some feed back if there would be any interest in this and we’ll start putting our staff back to work ASAP ! Thanks y’all

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  18. weaverr

Reverend Nat posted on twitter a couple days ago he was working on a delivery option.

or if GF beer is ok...

Groundbreaker does delivery, $50 min order within 10 miles of the brewery. Their Facebook has details - they’ll deliver anywhere in the state for a big enough order.

Evasion just launched their online store, which is sort of like delivery.

19. ppilot

Has anybody seen anything from upright brewing during this time? I've scoured there social media feeds and I haven't seen anything from them and stopped by their tap room yesterday to see if they were even doing to go stuff and the building was locked

20. jason_nwx

jason_nwx Sep 12, 2012 Oregon
    Society

Belmont Station posted they are open today.

vurt and John_M like this.
  21. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

I haven't, and I don't know whether i should be worried. They aren't the most active bunch on social media in the best of times, so I'm not surprised by the silence, even though i wish they'd send out a note saying they're OK (or not)

sharpski likes this.
  22. ppilot

They are actually more active than you would expect. They posted a funny video announcing the release of a new IPA last week, which makes the silence even more deafening. From my understanding they are actually one of the more financially stable breweries as they have zero debt and fairly low overhead considering they never tried to chase demand.

66jzmstr and BBThunderbolt like this.
  23. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Zero debt? Maybe no outstanding expansion/equipment loans, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t have a lease for that space (I have no knowledge one way or the other).

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  24. ppilot

From an accounting standpoint, lease obligations would be considered a liability but in this situation I wouldn't consider them debt per se. I know from speaking with Alex a couple years ago, they were going to be have all their loans paid off within a couple months of our conversation and I think they signed an insanely long term lease to lock in a lower lease price with the property owner.

Again it's just weird considering every other brewery out there has made some kind of announcement.

sharpski likes this.
  25. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Looks like there's a recent addition to their website:

The brewery tasting room is currently open for to-go sales only on Saturday between noon and 5 pm

A_Drunken_Production likes this.
  26. jason_nwx

Society

Everyone should read this piece Jeff Alworth posted today with interviews with Gigantic, Heater Allen, Old Town, Baerlic and Alesong.

Shelter in place - without government intervention on the economic side - is going to absolutely kill a lot of breweries (and small business in general). Yikes.

sharpski likes this.
  27. honkduh

honkduh Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

From Upright: Thanks to everyone who has reached out asking how to help support the brewery, it's truly heartening and sincerely appreciated. As you may know, getting beer directly from small producers is the best way to make a positive impact, not just now but anytime, and you can count on it to be extra fresh to boot! We're opening the tasting room for to-go sales Saturday between noon and 5pm with discounts for purchases over $30. There are some delicious beers on tap and tasty bottle-conditioned beers too. Brent would love to set you up! Check out our to-go options and visit us for your beer needs!

[​IMG]

28. weaverr

Rev Nat now offering free delivery - http://shop.revnats.com/

sharpski likes this.
  29. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington

crowlers of barleywine + working from home = ?

30. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Uh, yes please! I'll take a dozen!

66jzmstr, John_M and DefenCorps like this.
  31. machiya

machiya Jul 28, 2013 Oregon

Their van was out on the street with signs all over it and sandwich boards on the sidewalk advertising their beer availability. Chuck Porter, owner and head brewer, was out on the porch in a mask, dispensing cans and bottles.

I had ordered when I got their email, paid the delivery fee, and begged them to let me come by and pick up my beer. Firing up the van for a 1/4 mile drive would offend me, and I had to get out. I was not the only one.

They opened as a bottle shop all afternoon. My delivery fee was turned into a bottle of Bes, in addition to my multi-pack order of Mr Nice.

32. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington

DAT NAME

With those job titles?

[​IMG]

BBThunderbolt, sharpski and vurt like this.
  33. DefenCorps

Society Trader

Nominative determinism is a thing.

34. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Nice job with the fancy words!

kemoarps and DefenCorps like this.
  35. dphi

dphi Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Just to clarify as I'm finding a lot of places are covering the same area - a lot of SW PDX is just outside the delivery zone.

36. DefenCorps

Society Trader

If the end is nigh, I'd better use all the fancy words I know at least once.

kemoarps, VashonGuy, 66jzmstr and 3 others like this.
  37. vurt

vurt Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

In haiku:

Determinism
    (Nominative) is a thing:
    "Chuck Porter, brewer."

kemoarps, VashonGuy, 66jzmstr and 4 others like this.
  38. jason_nwx

Society

Alesong is doing 10% off and free shipping within a Oregon when you spend $75.

kemoarps, vurt and sharpski like this.
  39. dphi

dphi Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Highly recommend Senor Rhino for anyone on the fence, Friends in Common is awesome too.

afrokaze likes this.
  40. derftron

derftron Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

what is Senor Rhino??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.