Places to buy craft beer in Miami

Discussion in 'US - South' started by jws6w7, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jws6w7

jws6w7 Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2014 Florida

Hi everyone,

I am looking for suggestions on places with great craft beer selections in the Miami area.

Appreciate the help.

2. cyrushire

cyrushire Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Florida

Sunset corners, Box Elder, stop n shop on Ponce de Leon, Mendez Fuel on Coral Way, any total wine, whole foods.

3. TBCHopscotch032

TBCHopscotch032 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Florida

Wynwood has Wakefield, Wynwood Brewing, and Kush which are all very solid places.

4. jws6w7

Thanks all

5. jenn_rangel

jenn_rangel Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2014 Florida

Mendez Fuel as a huge selection and changes their draft bar almost daily to fill growlers and crowlers.

6. jws6w7

Thanks. We should meet there for a beer sometime...

Hopzilla likes this.
  7. cyrushire

cyrushire Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Florida

You and jenn_rangel can meet up for a brown paper bagged beer in the parking lot. Mendez is a gas station that so happens to have great beer and a growler bar. Dont forget your energy fruit drinks cause they make em in house too.

Divo93 likes this.
  8. oso4life

oso4life Initiate (0) May 22, 2014 Florida

@jws6w7 you can't drink at Mendez fuel. All they do is fill up growlers.

If you're looking for a place to sit down and eat something then most breweries here have food trucks that show up ~3pm. If you're looking for a restaurant with good food and a great selection then Kush. If you're looking for just a great bar with wide variety then Boxelder.

The great news about all this is that they're ALL located in the same area.

MIA in Doral as a full menu with 50 taps, mostly of their own beer.

9. Jarnet87

Jarnet87 Initiate (93) Jul 30, 2014 Florida

Never been to Boxelder or Stop n Shop, how does it compare to say Total Wine? The one time I went to Sunset Corners it was no different than going to Total Wine. I guess were lucky down here that we have a lot of distribution so the Total Wines are stocked with a ton of stuff (though hard to find beers fly out of stock). If I go to Boxelder or Stop n Shop is it going to be more of the same or will I find some stuff I can't get at Total Wine. I know Mendez Fuel had a few beers that I couldn't find at TW.

10. oso4life

Boxelder just opened up about 2 weeks ago so they haven't started to get their bottle shop area up and going with the extreme rare stuff just yet. They have their taps going already though.

I know zero about the stop-n-shop.

11. Seamus

Seamus Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2012 Florida

I am just going to piggyback on this. I have been going to a couple of these places, specifically Mendez, but most tend to get such limited quantities that they piece out their 4 or 6 packs and will limit to 1-2 12oz bottles per person. Does anybody know of a place that actually ends up selling hopslam 6 packs, kbs 4 packs, etc?

jws6w7 likes this.
  12. chardlogic

chardlogic Aspirant (233) Feb 18, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

Mendez is usually good about getting limited releases, when it comes to Hopslam, I think Total Wine is king (Since Bell's is Gold Coast brands, which also sells Coors/Miller/etc., and they tend to reward those places that can sell the most product) and they tend to get the lion's share of Hopslam out here. Sometimes you'll strike a home run with smaller liquor stores with small craft sections, or other places like Stop n Shop have been known to release their case a week or two after everyone else.

Just do some digging around, you'll be sure to find some. Hope this helps.

13. jws6w7

Mendez is a fraud.

He posts beers on social media after he sells out of them to get people into the store.

I suspect he also posts beers that he keeps for himself.

14. chardlogic

Trader

If you meant that AB Noir, he didn't set a limit and someone apparently cleaned him out at the get go. Chill brah, hope you picked up a Bomb crowler, that shit will be great to the dome.

15. MileHighBeerGuy

MileHighBeerGuy Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Colorado

So why wouldn't he just tell the guy trying to clean him out he can only buy a few? There's no rules against limiting sales if a limit is not posted.

jws6w7 likes this.
  16. chardlogic

Trader

Probably because he got blindsided. You never really can tell what's going to be white hot and what isn't, and Miami can be particularly woefully ignorant about the beer game at times.

17. oso4life

One of the guys from Mendez fuel is extremely greedy and really doesn't give a *bleep* about the actual beer aspect of this.

18. 305BEER

305BEER Initiate (41) Jan 4, 2011 Florida

I like the selection that place gets but it seems their prices have shot up. 14.99 for jai alai? no thanks.

Divo93 likes this.
  19. BKnarr

BKnarr Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Florida
    Deactivated

Wait so now people have to care about beer in order to sell it? That's like requiring me to care about my students just because I'm a teacher.

20. Mangbus

Mangbus Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2014 Florida

$15 for 32oz fill? when you can get 72oz for $11-12 in cans? I agree with you on that. No Thanks.

How do some of the one off / lower distro kegs price out for a 32oz fill?

21. Divo93

Divo93 Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Florida

I've seen $20+.

I am actually a fan Mendez, they give me the opportunity to get fills on limited distro beers and J.Wakefield! But, I did win the Mendez2k photo contest on instagram for a free crowler. When I drove down there from ft.lauderdale, i chose the JWB they had on tap, got my fill and went to the cashier. I was given a pretty hard time on receiving my free crowler, and wound up just getting $8 off of my $20 crowler....somehow i feel like i lost lol.

But Mendez is still really awesome

22. jws6w7

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm...

23. Divo93

It's not sarcasm. Even though they may have higher prices, and I had to partially pay for my FREE crowler, they do provide me with hard to get crowler fills.

24. 305BEER

no.. 14.99 for a sixpack.

25. chardlogic

Trader

That's crazy, and almost unheard of. Maybe you got a mispriced SKU, because I get six packs of other CCB and Due South with some regularity and at most pay 1-2 dollars above Total Wine.

26. Thirsty_Moe

Thirsty_Moe Initiate (168) Jul 29, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I'm going to piggyback on what @oso4life said earlier in the thread... MIA Brewing in Doral has a ton of taps and is putting out some solid brews. They even have a decent food selection too. Their jerk chicken wings with soy sauce and ginger are damn good

27. jws6w7

Do they speak English there?

28. oso4life

Lol, they speak English. Demetrius and Piero are putting out some good stuff and it's not expensive.

29. Seamus

So your free growler turned into 40% off? Doesn't sounds worth the drive from Ft. Lauderdale. I hope you got one of their breakfast bowls or juices while down there.

jws6w7 likes this.
  30. 305BEER

maybe but I think they're just putting the prices up. Stone irs was 13.99 and I don't think I've ever paid more than 10 for it.

31. jws6w7

What was Mendez justification for not giving you what you won?

32. Divo93

They said that the J.Wakefield Imperial Coffee Hazelnut Stout was to expensive, and that I was entitled to a fill of $8-10 beer. They told me this after I had already had the crowler filled. The contest said that the prize was a crowler fill of my choice....and oh yeah, I still had to pay $.99 for the crowler lol. Damn you, now I'm mad at them.

Hopzilla likes this.
  33. 305BEER

that's just shitty. no way around it

Divo93 and Hopzilla like this.
  34. Seamus

Agreed. Especially when you look at the bottom left of the picture...

"Fill of your choice & you know we always have the good stuff!"

Thirsty_Moe, Divo93, jws6w7 and 2 others like this.
  35. Hopzilla

Hopzilla Initiate (103) Dec 4, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Shoulda gone with the 1 day juice cleanse.

Divo93, Seamus and jws6w7 like this.
  36. Divo93

Craft Juice? juiceadvocate?

37. Jarnet87

I'm planning on checking out J Wakefield this weekend, may stop by BoxElder after.

38. Divo93

Just received a message from Andrew @ Mendez Fuel. He wanted to apologize for the mistake and inconvenience and offered to generously take care of me. Thats some awesome customer service and I applaud them for that. If I have learned one thing, craft beer is not a cheap obsession, so if I have to pay a couple dollars more for really hard to get beer, then I'll do it.

chardlogic, valrxman and Hopzilla like this.
  39. Jarnet87

yeah they are pricey but I don't mind paying a few dollars extra to try beers I can't find anywhere else. I went this past weekend because they got some Prairie and Evil Twin brews in. Never seen them anywhere else down here so I was glad to pay a bit more.

Divo93 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.