Planning a NE Brewery Run

Discussion in 'New England' started by SeanS, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeanS

SeanS Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

In a couple months, my wife and I are going to head up the coast to get to some great breweries in Maine and Vermont. I'm thinking of definitely hitting up the following breweries
    • Allagash
    • Maine Beer Co
    • Hill Farmstead
    • Alchemist
    Anything else we should consider? Any help appreciated!

2. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Devotee (404) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Where are you leaving from?

3. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2009 Maryland

Maybe NEBCo. Try the new england regional forum, too. Might have some hidden gems.

4. SeanS

Beer Trader

From NYC

5. SeanS

Beer Trader

Thanks, I will definitely add them to the list too!

6. Archemedies

Archemedies Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Hit up Jack's Abby in Framingham MA if you can.

atdunn9, seplo, Trevdawg and 3 others like this.
  7. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Devotee (404) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Cambridge Brewing Co. does some nice wild ales if you're passing through Boston.

SeanS likes this.
  8. dunix

dunix Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Vermont

Rising Tide in Portland, ME.
    Smutty/Portsmouth in NH - great lunch spot and on your way from Boston to Portland.

If you go Portland <-> Vermont, you could take Rt 302, which would take you through North Conway, NH, which you should hit The Moat for lunch or dinner. It is a beautiful drive through the lakes region of Maine and through the White Mountain National Forest (Take a picture infront of Mt Washington Hotel - it is a tourist must). Also great outlets in North Conway.

Another option is taking Rt 112 through NH to VT, which is also known as the Kancamagus Hwy. Both options are probably the most beautiful drives in New England.

Going East to West or vice verse in Northern New England can take awhile because of the mountains, and you have to use these 2 lane routes.

SeanS likes this.
  9. SeanS

Beer Trader

This is awesome knowledge. I will definitely add this into consideration for our itinerary!

10. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Initiate (59) Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

If you find yourself in Boston, hit the "Brewer's Bermuda Triangle" of Nightshift Brewing, Idle hands (right next door to each other) and Mystic Brewing (5 mins away driving).

masterob8 likes this.
  11. fistfight

fistfight Initiate (178) Jan 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you were going up 302 I'd recommend going to Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, Maine, just a 10 minute detour. Their draught selection is always VERY interesting, and the owner Chris's bottle cellar is astounding. Vintage Cantillon dating back decades I'd wager. Good food, to boot.

Though it's north of Portland, I would check out Oxbow Brewery in Newcastle, Maine. They may be my favorite new brewer along with the previously mentioned Jack's Abby in Framingham, MA.

Honestly, all of the suggestions in this thread are solid.

12. DrinkingIPA

DrinkingIPA Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 Massachusetts

Blue Lobster in Hampton NH...on your way to/from Maine, off 95.

13. dunix

dunix Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Vermont

You can't leave Maine without trying some Oxbow. Most of the good places in Portland will have at least one of their beers on tap.

Another brewery in Portland I forgot to mention is, if you like good Lagers, Bull Jager is putting out some great beer.

14. fistfight

fistfight Initiate (178) Jan 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've been curious about Blue Lobster, but I was hoping to hear some general thoughts on their beer before heading to the brewery. Are they worth checking out? I only ask because they have such short hours only two days a week and I want to know if it's worth working my schedule around them.

15. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2009 Maine

If you decide to hit up Rising Tide in Portland (which I recommend doing), probably worth driving just down the road to check out Bunker Brewing as well. And if you're into cider and/or mead, Urban Farm Fermentory and Maine Mead Works are in the same area

16. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Devotee (495) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I've only had a couple beers from them (those short hours are killing me too), but the Gold Claw Pale was especially good--very floral and crisp, a really great pale ale. The good news is that their hours are supposed to be expanding pretty soon, thanks to added capacity in the brewery, so it shouldn't be too hard to stop by on your way through without having to schedule around it.

17. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (348) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

When are you going?

18. sleepydave

sleepydave Initiate (43) Nov 3, 2009 New Hampshire

Maine Mead Works is seriously legit. I would definitely add them to your list. Jack's Abby is a must as well. If you are planning on Blue Lobster I can give you some very biased information and potentially point you in the direction of someone who can help better. There are some textual reviews up on Ratebeer at the moment, but not many.
    Cheers!
    David

19. DrinkingIPA

DrinkingIPA Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 Massachusetts

I think it's worth the trip. The beer is excellent and the brewer is a great guy. Trained by the best...internship at Hill Farmstead...

20. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2009 Maine

By that time Maine Beer Company will probably be in their new location; Freeport, not Portland. You'll definitely want to check back for location and hours...maybe with the new location and what looks to be a tasting room, they'll be open for more than a few hours on Friday?

New spot removes the convenience of being across the road from Allagash, but it appears you're not afraid of traveling all over the place :slight_smile:

21. lucas1801

lucas1801 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

Yes they do, but who can know what Will will available then. If you are coming through around their anniversary party you would be doing yourself a huge favor by showing up. Vintage BW's, sours, new beers you name it.

22. mathematizer

mathematizer Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2006 Maine

A little old, but still relevant... http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-portland-me-some-ideas.30751/

Book your free allagash tour online ahead of time.

I've heard good things about Blue Lobster. If you're spending time in Mass, consider Night Shift, Enlightenment Ales, Jacks Abby, and/or CBC.

Going to VT from ME sends you past Ebenezers Pub off 302.

Check out "The Festival" - it might coincide with your visit to Portland.

masterob8 likes this.
  23. atdunn9

atdunn9 Initiate (49) Feb 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I would also recommend Lawson's Finest Liquids in Vermont. They don't sell beer at the brewery but I am sure you can find them at some stores in the area.

24. jdauria

jdauria Initiate (172) Sep 15, 2010 Massachusetts

I second Rising Tide in Portland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.