Platform Beer Co. to Join Anheuser-Busch's Brewers Collective

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,646) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

No. 1 fastest growing regional brewery in 2017 to join Anheuser-Busch’s industry-leading craft portfolio

New York and Cleveland, August 7, 2019 - Platform Beer Co., the fastest growing regional brewery in the United States in 2017 known for their diverse portfolio of unique beers and innovative approach, will join Anheuser-Busch’s Brewers Collective as its newest craft partner. Platform brings data-driven innovation and energy to the craft beer world with operations in Ohio’s three largest metropolitan cities: Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus. The partnership will continue Anheuser-Busch’s long track record of working with their craft partners to make the U.S. beer category stronger and more vibrant.

Platform, founded in Cleveland by local entrepreneurs Paul Benner and Justin Carson, began in 2014 as a homebrew-inspired brewery devoted to community outreach and education. Still carrying community values at the core of their business today, Platform is known throughout Ohio for their taproom customer experiences and vast beverage portfolio of award-winning innovative products – creating more than 200 unique beers per year. The brewery’s unparalleled creativity and experimentation has resulted in more than 600 recipes that include a variety of unique seasonals, sours, ciders and fruit ales, barrel-aged beers, and a line of hard seltzer.

"In speaking with the other craft brewery founders in Brewers Collective, we know partnering with Anheuser-Busch means we will have the resources and the autonomy to bring our vision for Platform Beer Co. to life,” said Platform co-founder Paul Benner. “Being able to continue leading the day-to-day operations was an important factor in our decision and we have no doubt that this partnership will benefit our loyal staff and passionate customer base".

Platform owns and operates four facilities in Ohio: their flagship Cleveland tasting room, a 60 barrel (BBL) Cleveland-based brewhouse, a tasting room in Columbus which doubles as a distribution center and warehouse, and their Cincinnati Tasting Room and coffee shop concept “LOCOBA”. More growth is in store for Platform’s community footprint, including Platform’s first dedicated sour beer brewing facility and on-site tasting room - “Phunkenship” - opening soon in Cleveland, and a 10 BBL brewery and tasting room in Pittsburgh to open in the near future.

"We are excited to invest even more into our local economy through capital improvements and job creation,” added co-founder Justin Carson. “We will be able to provide our staff with resources like robust healthcare benefits including parental leave, 401K and growth opportunities that we currently don’t have and will make Platform an even better place to work and grow."

“We are thrilled to welcome Paul, Justin and the entire Platform team to Brewers Collective,” said Marcelo "Mika" Michaelis, president, Brewers Collective. “We are inspired by their experiential mindset, and we look forward to supporting their growth plans as they continue to push boundaries through their intrinsic craft values of education, connection and collaboration. It’s this growth that will give beer drinkers access to even more choices in today’s competitive and dynamic beer market.”

In the last three years alone, Anheuser-Busch has invested more than $130 million post-partnerships in its craft partners to hire new employees, open new facilities and brew more great beer. Our craft partners have expanded their production volume and created nearly 1,000 new jobs to support their growing breweries.

About Platform Beer Co.
    Platform Beer Co. is based in Cleveland, Ohio, and was founded in 2014 by local entrepreneurs Paul Benner and Justin Carson. Originally conceived as a homebrew-inspired educational brewery, Platform’s business is rooted in community-centric entrepreneurialism and data-driven innovation. Platform is widely known in its local market for their innovative seasonal offerings, limited taproom releases and seltzers.

Platform has received awards for its beers at the Great American Beer Festival, World Beer Cup, U.S. Open Cider Competition, among others, and was named the fastest growing regional craft brewery in the United States in 2017. Platform operates four facilities in Ohio, including a tasting room and brewhouse in Cleveland, tasting room in Columbus, and tasting room concept in Cincinnati. For more information, visit https://platformbeer.co/.

About Anheuser-Busch
    For more than 165 years, Anheuser-Busch has carried on a legacy of brewing great-tasting, high-quality beers that have satisfied beer drinkers for generations. Today, we own and operate 12 flagship breweries, 12 craft partners, 14 distributorships and 23 agricultural and packaging facilities, and have more than 18,000 employees across the United States. We are home to several of America’s most recognizable beer brands, including Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob ULTRA and Stella Artois, as well as a number of regional brands that provide beer drinkers with a choice of the best-tasting craft beers in the industry.

From responsible drinking programs and emergency drinking water donations to industry-leading sustainability efforts, we are guided by our unwavering commitment to supporting the communities we call home.

For more information, visit www.anheuser-busch.com or follow Anheuser-Busch on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

About Brewers Collective
    Brewers Collective, a business unit of Anheuser-Busch, is on a mission to energize how people view, consume and experience beer by sharing our joy of brewing. We have an unwavering devotion to our beer, brands, people and communities, and are on a continued pursuit of making the next beer our best one yet. We believe that quality is not an exception, innovation is a standard, and that everyone is welcome within the world of beer. Our craft partners include: 10 Barrel Brewing Co., Blue Point Brewing Company, Breckenridge Brewery, Devils Backbone Brewing Company, Elysian Brewing Company, Four Peaks Brewing Co., Golden Road Brewing, Goose Island Beer Company, Karbach Brewing Co., Veza Sur Brewing Co., Virtue Cider, and Wicked Weed Brewing.

###

Source: https://www.anheuser-busch.com/news...in-anheuser-busch-s-brewers-collective--.html

huckPDX likes this.
  2. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (765) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Painfully obvious it was the plan all along. Expansion was the only priority, not the beer.

I am dead serious when I say this, but their beer might actually be better now with Anheuser-Busch behind the wheel.

I don't care either way, I still won't waste my money on Platform beers.

3. N-Gogol

N-Gogol Initiate (96) Dec 9, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Platform is absolutely horrific, really glad to see them go. Few breweries in Ohio are as consistent in putting out shitty beer. Already avoid them as much as possible, added incentive. Three weeks ago I took a risk on a collab 6-pack from Platform with other Ohio breweries. First time buying their stuff in about a year. All three beers were undrinkable, drain poured the last two. Good riddance...

4. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (765) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Perfect summary of Platform, right there.

I am actually surprised Anheuser-Busch would want to invest in them. What do they really gain out of it?

5. N-Gogol

Trader

I didn't even see their plan to expand to open a tasting room in Pittsburgh haha What can possibly go wrong with opening a location in a city where a dozen breweries make better beer than you?

GuidoFricker, TEHieatt and KBlodorn like this.
  6. N-Gogol

Trader

The only thing Platform has to offer them is a distribution network, locations, and a name, its certainly not beer. That says a lot about Platform. I think InBev really doesn't get how much people hate Platform in Ohio, haven't supported them in years. I also think Platform was a much cheaper acquisition than many others.

GuidoFricker and TEHieatt like this.
  7. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,967) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Considering that at least one of the owners is completely full of shit this hardly comes as a surprise to me.

8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,942) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Let me suggest that ABInBev knew exactly what they were buying and plan on slowly, or quickly, utilizing the assets such as distribution, etc. while moving the brand name slowly further into the background until only longterm folks even know it was other there in any way other than a name on a door and kids pay it hardly any attention. ABInBEV don't really need another brewery for beer. The existing distribution network alone may be worth the money paid on a long term basis. I'd also bet that beers from their 10 brewries that were formerly craft breweries will slowly get added into that distributon network.

9. N-Gogol

Trader

The only issue with that plan is that Platform already has a reputation in the area where they are distributed. With this move, they may have the distribution, just less people are going to buy their stuff. In all honesty, they have become a joke. They will still be forced to compete with local breweries for shelf space, and Ohioans are pretty loyal to their locals.

More than anything, they will be competing with themselves for shelf space. In the last few years, the only new breweries that have taken up shelf space have been those already bought by InBev. And just like Platform, their stuff just sits there. You go to Masthead (about 10 minutes away) on a release day and see 300 people... Platform gets 30 people for their cans on the same day. You have to sell some kind of beer, we already get InBev's other trash here. Not sure alienating most of the craft beer scene where they are located will be a smart business move. The only reason they exist is because they rode the wave of "drink local". With that gone, they have nothing.

Every couple of months, we are also getting new breweries in the state that make good beer. There is another one coming from NJ soon. Now, for example, we get Old Nation brewing out of Michigan, and its on shelves around the state. Why buy Platform when for $2 more you can have a fantastic beer? Platform can have thirty beers on shelves at a store, and most people are still walking by to get better beer.

Beer_Economicus and brutalfarce like this.
  10. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,511) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

While 2017 is a year ago (in annual accounting numbers available), apparently not everyone in Ohio hates Platform and some people do support them.

stevepat and meefmoff like this.
  11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,824) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

According to the Brewers Assoc., Platorm's barrelage:
    2014 - 460
    2015 - 500
    2016 - 6,500
    2017 - 20,000
    2018 - 27,000

People might hate them, but somebody's buying the beer (likely the stats that AB looked at first).

Seems to me that the former craft brewers purchased by AB in the US have all been moved into AB's existing distribution network - considered the best in the country - remember InBev moved their line into the AB network previous to the buyout, when the two were the worlds biggest competitors in the brewing industry.

AB spent considerable money to buy-out the rights of some of their acquired craft brands that weren't already in the AB's coast-to-coast network. Can't imagine that a 5 year old brewery's "distribution network" is somehow better than the existing AB wholesalers in the region where Platform is sold or even particularly an attractive element to AB. Did Platform self-distributor or have a Ohio wholesale license(s)?

In NJ, for instance, they took Elysian's previous distributor, Hunterdon, to court over the rights.
    A-B sues New Jersey distributor following Elysian craft beer sale

12. drtth

I'm assuming this was in part a reply to me with some additional background info.

Yes you're mostly complely correct but as to the stigma of the name. As it slowy fades away the old timers will eventually remember it only when they see it in a piece of brewing memorabilia. (If I don't like a beer or brand I ignore it and usually forget I've ever had one. Thats why I review for this site. It helps me remember that one of the hundreds I've tried that one is one I really didn't like. I'm cheap and dont like bying beers I didn't like a second time. :slight_smile:) Plus the newer drinkers probabaly wont pay attention and eventually won't have seen anything but a name and "what Gramps said," and that probably will motivate them to never even think much except "Gramps used to drink that stuff" and move on. (Seen it happen...)

So, if my guess is true, the name itself will probably be around a long time but every thing else just decreases so slowly that nobody really notices it's disppearing until it's gone. Think long term investment reather than short term results.

13. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Initiate (158) Oct 27, 2012 Kentucky

My thing with Platform is tthat all of the IPAs they brew, no matter the style, always have a slight off flavor. It's not like its infected, but its a weird flavor i cannot pinpoint. Maybe its the yeast?

mythril43 and RUinOhio like this.
  14. drtth

Sometimes "better" includes "denser because of exiting folks buying from the same source and not caring about ownership of the source." This way they have two semi local distributors and supply each with unique subset from the group of ten beers. (Very few would notice. (Think loophole.)

Yes they have been moved, but I think ABinBEV understand the significance of the law suit. So I suggest that this is an investmet that indicates to me that, among other things, they don't expect to lose that suit (they are pretty much bound to have had their talented and experienced legal team pour over everything they plan or face--that's why they pay them the big bucks. Personally I don't pay big bucks for something that isn't of value now or in the near future.). That's why I think this purchase if for access to the breweries existing network. There will be some overlap but I think it represents a way of quitely increasing distro of mostly only the group of 10. If so, lots of folks in covered by that bit of network would be quite surpised if they found out ownership and then not worry about it....

15. drtth

@rgordon can you add or correct anything based on your experiences when working as a wholesale distributor??

16. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (6,785) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Aaannnnnnd...

They can have em!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (429) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Kinda fascinated by what the demographic is that is fueling the growth - everyone here appears stumped. Their beer just doesn’t taste right...brewery ratings well under 4.0. Who is buying this stuff ? Have they somehow found niche distribution -like exclusive rights to every wedding or professional sporting event in the state of Ohio? Is the stuff somehow a cheap fuel alternative and can power cars and boilers? As I think of a local example to me here in MA - Lord Hobo and their solid growth comes to mind. While their beers are definitely getting better - as a whole, LH still generally rates in the same ballpark as Platform. The craft middle ground is a weird and hard to understand place...

18. N-Gogol

Trader

Platform can't get 30 people to come out for one of their releases, and they try hard. The only reason they are selling more beer is because of distribution. They are in stadiums, concerts, events. They aren't competing in the craft beer market, the only places they can succeed are where there are no other craft options.

However, with them being bought by InBev, a lot of craft beer people will pass on them at these kind of events. I know I will. In all honesty, I have not been to a single bottle share in Ohio in the last year where a person opened one of their beers. A brewery can't last long if it doesn't put out good beer. In six months, people in every new market for them will figure out how terrible the beer is.

RUinOhio likes this.
  19. Sabtos

Society Trader

I know a couple guys that always buy a couple 6packs every week or two. I don't know why and I rarely see them drinking it. They usually drink Founders All Day when I'm over. I'm not sure if they're drinking all the Platform, but they're certainly sometimes letting it sit in their basement fridges for a good...year.

In a year? I have never in my life been to a bottle share where Platform was even brought, let alone opened.

KurtisCarman and drtth like this.
  20. N-Gogol

Trader

In a year? I have never in my life been to a bottle share where Platform was even brought, let alone opened.[/QUOTE]

You can't be responsible for what somebody else brings haha. I don't drink their beer, I just know I have seen it before at a share. Not my proudest moment. Could be a strong contender for worst and show? Maybe that is what they were going for...

officerbill, drtth and Sabtos like this.
  21. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,624) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Good point. It may at least be consistently bad now.

22. drtth

You can't be responsible for what somebody else brings haha. I don't drink their beer, I just know I have seen it before at a share. Not my proudest moment. Could be a strong contender for worst and show? Maybe that is what they were going for...[/QUOTE]

Yep, but I'd bet that is actualy an indicator of something like you and @Sabtos either don't live near each other, or if you do none of either of your groups of friends even know anybody from the other, let alone knowing anything about what he's saying. What he says and what you said can be both true at the same time. The world to day really is more complex than before electronic communications and is changing mre every day.

N-Gogol likes this.
  23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,096) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“According to the Brewers Assoc., Platform's barrelage:

2014 - 460

2015 - 500

2016 - 6,500

2017 - 20,000

2018 - 27,000”

As has already been discussed somebody(s) are purchasing Platform beers.

It seems that a lot of BAs don’t understand the ‘popularity’ of Platform beers and that does not surprise me since most BAs are part of the Beer Geek segment of the craft beer market (a minority segment). I have read many folks post in BA threads statements like: Why would anybody(s) buy beers like Sam Adams Boston Lager (or New Belgium Fat Tire or Blue Moon Belgian White or….). The majority of the consumers of craft beer do not utilize the same criteria as BAs when it comes to craft beer purchasing decisions.

My personal experience with Platform beers is very limited (sample size pours at beer festivals) and FWIW I found those beers to be just OK; those drinking experiences never motivated me to purchase a 6-pack of Platform beer.

I have not had beers from every one of the AB InBev owned craft breweries. Last weekend I was at the Bethlehem, PA Musikfest and I saw a Golden Road beer on tap. For a fraction of a second I thought: maybe I should try this beer? But then I saw Yards Brawler on tap and purchased that instead. While I have zero personal experience with Golden Road beers from my readings they seem to be akin to Platform beers.

In summary there is a broader craft beer consumer market out there which are not as discriminating as the BA crowd. It would appear that AB InBev is going after that broader market (since it is bigger I suppose).

Cheers!

24. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (868) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I would guess that 2017 production jump can be attributed to more out-of-state distribution. I think that's when I started seeing Platform beers in PA. It's easy to sell the shiny new beer on a shelf and show growth, but that doesn't mean it's sustainable. I think AB-InBev is smart enough to see what growth is sustainable long-term. Even if that growth is not sustainable, there are still many states Platform beer can enter for ABInBev to ride that initial wave.

I've noticed that AB-InBev is expanding their local brewpub/retail business, so I suspect that part of Platform's assets was very attractive to them. If they got a good deal on established brewpub real estate and there is a potential for nationwide distribution growth within AB's already very efficient efficient network, the numbers might still add up.

It's like they have created a platform to sell beer! :wink:

officerbill and JackHorzempa like this.
  25. N-Gogol

Trader

To what extent is that audience "locals"? I know in Ohio a lot of people "drink local", that is part of the reason Platform survived. They played that up a lot. We have a ton of breweries that focus on this audience in Ohio, and not the beer geek segment. In other words, they aren't doing a lot of BA beers, they don't have limited releases, there are no lines or secondary trade value etc. However, you can't argue that people should drink local when owned by InBev. This will for sure eat into their market share. On the other hand, a lot of people will continue to buy their stuff because they put out 6 new beers per week. That seems to attract a lot of people, plus they have ciders, seltzers, etc.

26. MNAle

Society

And, lets not forget, less discriminating!

27. N-Gogol

Trader

Platform is located in the most hipster part of Cleveland, good luck trying to market authenticity their while being owned by InBev haha They are literally surrounded by independent businesses in that community.

I agree though, if a real brewery with good beer set themselves up there, they would make a killing. That's what InBev saw, the problem is that they bought Platform and not an actually good brewery. Plus now Voodoo is opening 20 minutes away and Masthead is destroying Platform in every single way, ranging from beer quality to shelf space. They are a perfect alternative for Platform's audience, and its 10-15 minutes away.

28. MNAle

Society

Yeah, 'cause PBR is much more authentic! :wink:

officerbill, Ranbot and N-Gogol like this.
  29. N-Gogol

Trader

That actually made me burst out laughing at work, good point!

30. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (429) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Garbage name as well. Sounds like it was created by a random corporate name generator.

mambossa likes this.
  31. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (3,210) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Being from Cleveland, I always appreciated Platform. They consistently pumped out ALL styles. They literally seem to have a new beer on shelves every other week. You can say "quality over quantity" and I won't argue with you, but they do have some quality brews. They might not have many "WOW mindblowing" beers, but they have a bunch of solid brews. Not everything was a winner, but I rarely tried something from them that I would consider "horrible". They're "hit or miss" at worst. I do understand why "beer geeks" are critical of them though..

32. JackHorzempa

Society

It would seem to me that heretofore you have answered your own question.

Would you be willing to speculate on how many of the base of the Platform beer consumers will ever learn (know about) the sale to AB InBev? It seems to me that the more casual craft beer consumers do not follow the craft beer industry all that closely.

Cheers!

officerbill likes this.
  33. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (868) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Sounds exactly like what people said about Magic Hat [back when people were still talking about Magic Hat].

meefmoff likes this.
  34. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (380) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I mean when you throw everything at the wall, at least one thing might stick... On the industry side, they have a terrible reputation for forcing/rushing brews, a pretty much nonexistent QC (not sure who they’re paying to OK all of the savage off-flavors), and a notoriously scatterbrained, nonsensical mode of operation that consequently brings a high turnover rate.

Even if a brewery was good, if they have a full 45 taps of all their own beer, literally like SIX PAGES of their draft list, that’s a red flag. And for them, upwards of 20+ of those taps are mainly poorly executed IPAs.

They have tactless PR skills when criticized about their quality and “consistency”, but overall I think they just don’t care about their beer anymore. It’s the bottom line for them, and this buyout comes to me as no surprise. I won’t miss them.

invertalon likes this.
  35. frazbri

frazbri Crusader (757) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

My sole visit to Platform left me feeling like I visited some alternate hipster universe. Flannel, beards, and work boats that never went to work... and a guy trying to get his dog to sit next to him at the bar.

As for the beer, there plan seems to be to just release new cans every other day. My small beer drinking group had essentially written them off.

Beer_Economicus and N-Gogol like this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Society

Permit me to provide a Philly example. A little over a year ago AB InBev opened a Goose Island brewpub in a hipster neighborhood (Fishtown). I have only been there once (a Saturday afternoon) and that place was packed - hundreds of people. I have no way of knowing how well attended this place is at other times but based upon this one datapoint (observation) the fact that this brewpub is AB InBev owned had zero impacts on enthusiastic attendance. Also the two beers I had there were of excellent quality - who ever they hired as their brewing staff are top notch IMO.

Cheers!

officerbill likes this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Society

You can be rest assured that this will change with AB InBev ownership.

When AB InBev was in the process of purchasing Devil's Backbone the head brewer (Jason Oliver) had the below comment:

“We caught up with Jason Oliver, longtime Brewmaster of Devils Backbone, for his perspective on the sale and to confirm he plans to remain with the brewery. “I am staying on and have no interest in going anywhere,” says Oliver. “We were courted by several groups and I advocated for ABI (Anheuser-Busch) since the beginning. I knew we would lose street cred but what we would gain outweighed that.” One gain, Oliver says, is even better beer. “The beer will continue to improve and be better for this deal. It may seem weird to say that the beer will improve but that should be the goal of every brewery. To think your beer is perfect is to assert it isn’t, in my opinion.” How can the beer improve? “The shelf life can always increase, the consistency can always be improved,” says Oliver.

Cheers!

38. N-Gogol

Trader

Its hard to tell what "busy" actually means in Philly on a Saturday afternoon, in all honesty. I will concede that a lot of people will still go, but far less than before. The location they have currently probably can hold 100 people at most. To put things in perspective, I went to the new Fat Heads location last year when they were just opening... the place can probably seat hundreds... They had a 3 hour wait and every single seat was taken. They also had two other locations in our area. I am sure Platform will still be packed Saturday night. However, how many people will they get our for their limited releases Saturday and Sunday morning, or events they do on a Tuesday afternoon.

The other issue is what those people are spending. If you are getting families coming in that have lunch and two beers and then leave, that's one thing. However, if you have people coming in, buying $25 beers, drinking for 4-5 hours, that's a completely different level of profits. At Masthead releases here, people are regularly dropping $250+ on cans during release day. Multiply that by 250 people, and how busy does your brewpub have to be to make the same money?

39. N-Gogol

Trader

It wont matter if their beers gradually improve, they are ages behind Masthead, Fat Heads, Jackie O's, Little Fish, Dancing Gnome, Voodoo, Grist House, Hitchhiker, Brew Gentleman, etc. They need years to catch up, and those breweries will continue to make progress in the meantime.

I am not kidding, I bought beers from Platform one time in the last year and they were undrinkable. We had to throw them away. I can't see them in 6 months putting out stuff to compete with the above breweries. Those guys don't even know how to age beer properly. Will it get better? Of course, it can't get worse :slight_smile: I concede your point, a place like Platform will only get better after the acquisition.

RUinOhio likes this.
  40. Sabtos

Society Trader

Some of Goose Island's beer is legitimately great, and they've also been around forever, name recognition among even some casual beer fans is pretty high.

None of any of that applies to Platform, except name recognition amongst some casual Ohio beer fans.

Beer_Economicus likes this.