Pliny Pronounced Wrong?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sammyg832, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammyg832

sammyg832 Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2013 Arizona

My dad recently asked about my trip to California and I told him that I bought a bunch of Pliny the Elder. We are from England and my Dad studied latin as a kid. He told me Pliny (Pli-ni) is pronounced Pli-ne.

Either way it is a fantastic beer and you can call it anything haha. Maybe we all including myself have been pronouncing it wrong? I never thought twice about it. Just thought it was interesting because I looked it up and he is correct

2. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (177) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've always pronounced it Ply Knee. That way it rhymes with piney, which is how it tastes. Is that correct based on your understanding?

Vogt52 and sammyg832 like this.
  3. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

The Elder and Younger beers' names rhyme with shiny.

The Elder and Younger historical figures' names rhyme with skinny.

4. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,060) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

/close_thread

SJbeerlover, Retsinis, steveh and 6 others like this.
  5. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (525) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

In the words of Mitch Hedburg… Oh Man can't I just have some:wink:

6. sammyg832

Agreed! Silly thread post I know. Since the beers were named after historical figures I thought it would be correct to name them that way.

Either way it's not a big deal to me cos I love the beers :slight_smile:

7. sammyg832

I agree. It is a very piney beer. Would be interesting to contact Russian River on this.

8. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Hey - when I brought this up several months ago I almost got chased out of here with torches and pitchforks! Why does this guy get off the hook so easy?

9. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

There's footage of the brewmaster (or president or whatever) pronouncing it 'Plie-knee'. I happen to believe they were ignorant of the proper way to pronounce the historical figures name, but regardless, that is now how the beer's name is pronounced. Plie-knee like piney.

cavedave and sammyg832 like this.
  10. sammyg832

I was scared about posting this. I really like the beer and it never dawned on me that it had been pronounced wrong until I talked to my Dad. He is very English and is super strict on pronouncing things wrong. Which I do all the time!! :slight_frown:

11. sammyg832

We should contact Vinnie Cilurzo. I'm sure the "Pli-knee" pronunciation may have to do with the piney character to the beer

12. BrahptimusPrime

BrahptimusPrime Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Connecticut

We do not need to bring ink and paper... in to this.

Joe82684, thereal and Uniobrew31 like this.
  13. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I can imagine they may also have just decided to just go with that pronunciation because that's how the bulk of American English speakers would pronounce it. Not many people get a classical education these days and you don't want to be too pedantic toward your customer base.

14. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,708) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Not so much silly as redundant. Do a search, question's been driven into the ground.

sammyg832 likes this.
  15. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (815) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Or, with all due respect to Vinnie, perhaps he just didn't know the correct way to pronounce it, and since this doesn't get talked about a lot more often, neither, does it seem, do most people who haven't (like your father) studied Latin. I think after the fact the similarity to "piney" makes it worth keeping the 'wrong' pronunciation, and treating it like a play on words. I will, however, start saying the names of the historical figures correctly when I tell someone about those beers.

16. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,910) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Proper names are always correctly pronounced they way the "owner" of the name says they are.

There is a MN town just southwest of the Twin Cities Metro proper that is named New Prague.

It is NOT pronounced "New Prog", like the Czech city, even though the town celebrates its Czech heritage.

It is properly pronounced "New Praig" (long a, like Haig). Why is that the proper pronunciation? Because that is how the locals pronounce it, that's why.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  17. neverenoughhops

neverenoughhops Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2009 California

vinnie cilurzo pronounces it ply-knee. i will defer to him.

SammyJaxxxx, cavedave and sammyg832 like this.
  18. sammyg832

And I agree. He's the master of the brew and that is how it should be

neverenoughhops likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.