Pliny the Elder grain recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jncastillo87, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

I have never had this beer but I hear it mentioned on this forum day after day .. I was reading a .pdf about double IPA from the Home brewers association website and thought someone here would want to try it out. I havent started doing all grain recipes yet so im not quite up to it..... anyway here it is.

[​IMG]

2. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Vinnie uses hop extract for the battering and he also uses a little bit of Amarillo in the dry hop and maybe also in the aroma stage.

3. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

I did this recipe (based off a similar PDF that Vinnie supposedly handed out at a conference.) Really good stuff.
    You can substitute US-05 for the liquid yeasts mentioned in the recipe (cheaper).

4. SpruceMoose

SpruceMoose Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2011 Australia

Thanks very much mate, will need to give this a go over the weekend.

jncastillo87 likes this.
  5. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

I just brewed a pseudo-clone using this exact recipe. The grains were identical, the hops were different. It came out excellent. It was my first attempt at a double IPA and I couldn't be more pleased.

jncastillo87 likes this.
  6. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Pundit (887) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

I've brewed this recipe twice now, first time all pelletized hops were used I and added them after transferring to secondary, the second time I used hop shots extract and no secondary, big difference in flavor and aroma using the first method, more flavor and aroma and less chill haze.

7. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Whether or not the HBA recipe replicates the real thing...past / present / future...it's fookin'tasty and well worth your time and effort.

8. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

9. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

10. jchoffman

jchoffman Devotee (387) Jan 28, 2012 Georgia

I brewed this All Grain recipe last month and it turned out great.... I'm considering making another batch this week as I can't stop hitting the keg for a pour..

11. PortLargo

PortLargo Pooh-Bah (1,737) Oct 19, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

My mouth watered when I read this recipe. Then I plugged in the numbers, and saw that 3.5 oz of Columbus for 90 minutes gives an IBU of 170+. The recipe says this is a IBU 90-95 actual, not calculated. What's going on here?

12. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Maven (1,374) May 2, 2006 Utah

IBU calculations are typically worthless when they predict IBUs above 100 or so. Has to do with the saturation limit of alpha acids in the wort, I believe.

13. PortLargo

PortLargo Pooh-Bah (1,737) Oct 19, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

That is my understanding also. So what does 3.5 oz of Columbus for 90 minutes give you? This is above the limit that alpha acids can be absorbed and I can't imagine any flavor or aroma surviving the heat for that long.

Not trying to sharp-shoot the brewers from Russian River, just attempting to get a better grasp on the how and why to add massive hops at the beginning of the boil. Has anyone brewed this exact recipe or can provide enlightenment?

14. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

I brewed the recipe, not exactly on the hops, but with a large (3oz), high AA addition at 60 minutes. It came out quite bitter and quite delicious. I'm sure it was over the saturation limit mark tho. Sometimes yours is not to ask why but to ask "how high?" :grinning:

PortLargo likes this.
  15. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

The universal speed limit is somewhere around 110 IBUs. Also, the models tend to break down (become less accurate) even before you reach the area of 110. I have become convinced that Tinseth starts to break down in the neighborhood of 65 IBUs. None of which is really important if you pick a model and stick with it. e.g. you'll learn what '80 Calculated Tinseth IBUs' (or whatever) tastes like and can build recipes using that knowledge.

PortLargo likes this.
  16. hara94

hara94 Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2012 Minnesota

17. 46and2

46and2 Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2008 Missouri
    Trader

Anyone know of a comparable partial or extract version? I've been brewing for a few years but usually just steal recipes off the net, not sure about converting an all grain.

18. Treb0R

Treb0R Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 Oregon

PortLargo likes this.
  19. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Have heard Amarillo has been added to the mix.
    Anyone have any idea where?

20. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

Anybody ever tried the Pliny the Toddler recipe? Sub-5% beers are going to be my focus this summer so that I can brew more frequently and turn batches over faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.