Pliny the Elder taste alike

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by ChanceK, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2012 Texas

I've heard a few people say St Arnold Endeavor is close to Pliny, and I've heard others disagree. I've never had Pliny but have had more than my share of Endeavor. I've been looking into a Pliny taste-a-like and wonder if Endeavoris as close as I can get.....(here in Texas with minimal effort) Is there something else that has a closer resemblance?

2. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2011 Texas

Probably Double Jack for me, we have some bottled 3/1

Clonies720 likes this.
  3. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (174) Dec 28, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

In Texas I'd say that's the closest you'll get. In my experience the closest thing I've found was new glarus thumbprint dipa but that's not possible to even trade for fresh anymore. Your best bet would be a Homebrew clone. Pliny is great but I think it really depends on what you're looking for in a dipa. Me personally I'd just as much get some southern star Valkyrie/pro am dipa. Not the same profile but in the same world class category IMO.

4. ChanceK

I'm in San Antonio, and I don't know of any place that caries Firestone yet.

5. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Gabriels in San Marcos is the closest to you. They have Union Jack, DBA, and Double Jack. Good amount of Double Jack too.

6. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (433) Apr 26, 2007 Texas

Endeavour is good, but nowhere near being in the same league as Pliny. Keep an eye out for Valkyrie.

7. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Wait... you've never had Pliny?

So I could literally tell you Longhammer IPA and you'd believe me?

Get a Pliny first, noob.

Personally I think it's overrated, but you should at least try it before trying to find something that tastes like it.

bccocx likes this.
  8. kmello69

kmello69 Defender (617) Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I had Pliny a bunch on tap the last time I was in SF. Its OK, and you should try it, but I don't see how its that much better than lots of other IPA's out there. Personally, I liked Endeavor a lot, and I dont even really like IPA's.

9. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Texas

El oh El. Like someone else said, Endeavor might be the closest THING you can get to Pliny in TX, but they are not even closely related. I've had week and a half old Pliny out of the bottle at it's freshest. I don't see what the obsession is. I think there's better out there. I really prefer Firestone Double Jack over Pliny. That and Stone's Enjoy by 12.1.12 or whatever. That was the best I've ever had. So much vibrant aroma, so juicy, so dank. Me gussssta.

Then again, beer is a mostly subjective experience for each person, and each person will likely perceive it differently.

Edit: I have a December 1st Pliny bottle if you'd like to know what a skunk tastes like. :D

10. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Devotee (433) Apr 26, 2007 Texas

I've had 6 month old Pliny before. It was a shell of its former self, but still pretty damn tasty.

11. Clonies720

I've been exposing this one to sunlight. Doing the whole changing of temps from warm to cold *can't remember if that actually degrades the beer much anyways*. I want to abuse it for a year and bring it to bottle share. I expect to never be invited back. lol

12. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Thats just evil,

i need to be there when thats opened just to see the look on IPA lovers faces ;)

13. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Aspirant (276) Jul 26, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'd love to see people who don't know any better exclaiming how delicious it is, and then seeing their changing expression when you tell them that you abused it.

14. corbey

corbey Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2006 Texas

Other possibilities would be Sixpoint Resin and Moylan's Hopsickle (if you can find it fresh).

15. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Disciple (376) May 17, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I love me some Sixpoint Resin but I it's not very similar to Pliny the Elder. Resin is in-your-face sticky, hoppy, bitter, and RESINOUS. Pliny on the other hand is restrained, a demonstration of finesse, and very well balanced.

This thread has turned into a game of "let's name all of the DIPAs available in Texas." I agree with some of you, I like other DIPAs more than I like Pliny, but I don't think anything we have comes close to what Pliny achieves.

16. ChanceK

Minimal effort is the key. If I can't buy it off the shelf I'm not gonna get it. I like beer, but I'm not hardcore about it. Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

blatherbeard likes this.
  17. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Disciple (320) Dec 1, 2009 Mexico
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I would say Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. Not too hard to find, a great cheap DIPA and somewhat similar to Pliny IMO. I still like Pliny better though.

18. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas

Please elaborate, if you don't mind.

19. Clonies720

In all seriousness, if you'd like to taste some fresh Pliny, I'll trade for some and split it with you if you're Houston local. It's still a great beer.

20. FUNKPhD

To OP, I traded $4$ on a fresh case of PtE straight from the brewery a while back. It shouldn't be too difficult to find someone willing to get you at least a bottle.

21. ChanceK

I'm in SA. Sorry. I would go for that if we were closer.

22. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

I hate ipas and dipas but now im craving a taste for PtE lol

FUNKPhD likes this.
  23. Jursh

Jursh Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2012 Texas

I must say, I read all the "it's over-rated" reviews on Pliny before I had it but I'll never forget the day I had my first Pliny on draft at the RR brewpub while on vacation. Call it what you want but it is not over-rated. Maybe it doesn't live up to the "this beer will change your life!" reviews that some people give but what do you expect.

As for the closest thing? Lagunitas Sucks and Stone Enjoy By have done a great job getting that West Coast pine smell and taste that Pliny is known for. It almost took me back

Geuzedad and WickedSluggy like this.
  24. dumptruck81

Beer Trader

Other ipa's like enjoy by and sucks are using newer hop varieties like citra, so they aren't really an accurate comparison. All great beers but still not the same sticky that Pliny is. Pliny was made somewhere around 10 years ago before these newer hops were around.

Instead of arguing the overrated over hyped route, I'd say the Pliny is given more respect than many other ipa's/dipa's. Everybody knows that Pliny needs to be consumed within about a month after bottling to get the desired effect. Many other ipa's that are not as highly regarded end up in the bottle for a while longer before people drink them. Which causes the general view of these beers to be that they're not as good.

25. FUNKPhD

I thought Citra was the hop bred for Torpedo? Or am I thinking of something else?

Also, as far as overrated (I)IPA's, I think I'll say Heady Topper is over rated. I would say it's on par with other highly rated/regarded (I)IPA's.

26. miikezombie

miikezombie Aspirant (247) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

What this guy said.

OP, I can try and get a bottle or 2 before the next Freetail bottle release. If I can, I will give you one at the bottle share.

27. FUNKPhD

Speaking of which, when is the Ananke release?

Clonies720 likes this.
  28. Clonies720

Slightly off-topic. I'm drinking a Brazilian-origin, Vixnu DIPA that I bought at D&Q. This shit ain't half bad at all. In fact, it's a pretty great DIPA as far as Texas standards go. The pine notes aren't that big, but it's a definite orange-citrus bomb. Sticky white head with great lacing. Perfect medium-high carb to match the 9.5% ABV, which I might add is not very noticeable. Full bodied. Beer has superb clarity. Nice punch of bitter hops in the finish. Only criticisms: It's a tad sweeter than I'd like for a DIPA and I wish there was more pine aroma to it. But other than that, I'd buy this again any day of the week.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  29. miikezombie

miikezombie Aspirant (247) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

Last I heard was late April or May.

30. FUNKPhD

I guess here, it's listed as an American IPA, so I can see that. I'm curious as to what hops they used.

31. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Disciple (376) May 17, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks for posting this. I've been curious about that beer and almost bought a bottle today. I'll definitely get one the next time I'm in D&Q.

32. r0nburgundy69

r0nburgundy69 Initiate (82) Jan 27, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I had new glarus dipa, and it was really good. I wasn't impressed by Pliny, but I know I'm in the minority

33. dumptruck81

Beer Trader

Looks like torpedo was one of the first beers to use citra. Unfortunately they don't really use much during the flavoring additions, which is where citra really shines.

34. jgreeson

jgreeson Initiate (22) Feb 24, 2010 Texas

I offer fresh Breckenridge 471 IPA as a Pliney sub. Also an alternative as Oskar Blues Gubna.

35. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

It doesn't have "pop" for me like some other IPAs. Good IPAs, to me, have this spicy, citrus or resinous (pick a coast) quality. It's all personal preference, but my major qualifier for a beer is drinking one and saying to myself "OMG, I need moar!"

36. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aspirant (200) Apr 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Cosigned. I like the Vixnu alot although it doesn't have the hop pugency that I crave in the best DIPA/IPAs. Really rich and delicious though, if a little sweet. I liked the other two as well with the Brazilian nut beer also being a standout.

The American craftbeer revolution is having good reverberations around the world.

37. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Zealot (539) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I definitely agree that Stone has come the closest to Pliney with their Enjoy By series. I had the opportunity to have both in a side by side comparison (both very fresh by the way) and was amazed in their similarities. And Sucks is close but not in the same tier IMO, but again right up there and a regular in my rotation. I would not say Pliney is overrated but due to its limited availability I am sure it makes for frustration for DIPA lovers who cannot access it. I live right next door to Cali (AZ) and still have trouble finding it when I make the trip over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe