Pliny the Younger cleverly sold as Miller High Life

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by cmmcdonn, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (188) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

I just stumbled upon this. I can understand why they did it, but I don't agree with the blatant lying to conserve the beer. This place must be very highly regarded to be able to pull something like this and not alienate enough customers to negatively impact business. Thoughts?
    http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blo...ife-allows-its-regulars-to-actually-enjoy-it/

2. cestlavie

cestlavie Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 New York

in NY, $7 for 12/16 is not oddly steep for Miller High Life lol. Probably would have just thought the bar owner had an odd sense of humor or was nostalgic and poured MHL instead of the usual PBR in place of a "domestic lager"..

3. nickfl

nickfl Poo-Bah (3,613) Mar 7, 2006 Florida

Clever isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

4. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (410) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

5. DerrickW

DerrickW Disciple (301) Jan 17, 2013 Georgia

I understand wanting to cater to regulars, but how can this help turning a new customer into a regular?

6. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Why not just recognize the regular and say in a low whisper "I got PtY"? Shouldn't the bar be able to recognize the regulars?

This was dumb.

7. RusImpStoLuv

RusImpStoLuv Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Michigan

Jealous in a sense.....still a Pliny virgin here.....

8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Thoughts?

Some of the places in Philly that get PtY do announce a tapping and a few even pre-pour their servings before time to "open" the door. In half an hour the beer is all sold leaving 200-300 or so customers who've waited 2-3 hours in line without any PtY. A large number of those who do get a serving are from the social-media-one-and-done crowd and are never seen again. A growing number of places that get PtY are switching to a silent tapping at a time when their regulars can get there to enjoy the beer. After all why should the owner care if she pisses off a one-and-done who may happen to hear about the tapping after it's too late, if they ever hear of it at all? She's made her regulars feel appreciated.

#8 drtth, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  9. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Zealot (547) Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

Yeah this is fucking stupid. If you really don't want to advertise it, just don't put a damn tap handle up. They can still pour beers, and the "regulars" will know. If you don't want to deal with the hype regarding PtY, don't get it in.

10. leprakhan

leprakhan Disciple (319) Dec 28, 2009 California
    Trader

It's not the first bar to do this. It's been done for the past few years at multiple bars. It shouldn't deter anybody from going there. It keeps the uncontrollable crowds away. Nobody likes to deal with shit shows and PtY is pretty good at making those happen. Why draw a crowd that you do not likely have staff for nor the patience to deal with the endless phone calls for the next week (if not longer) asking if it's still on tap. Bars like business no doubt, but they also know who keeps the doors open. The patrons that frequent weekly/monthly, not the folks who scatters like ants on a crumb at a picnic and disappear when the crumbs are gone

Cktrumbull, tlh1005, doowhat and 12 others like this.
  11. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,322) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I think its awesome

12. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Crusader (743) Oct 2, 2010 New York

That's an awesome thank you to their regulars! I didn't used to leave the '58 hard tail Fender Strat, '57 Gibson Les Paul Jr., '53 Fender Esquire, '58 Fender Bandmaster Amp, '32 Martin, Etc... hanging on the wall for just anyone to come in and beat on. I'd hand it off to my special (regular's) customers to enjoy and experience.

paulys55, chinochino, JohnB87 and 9 others like this.
  13. rmcodrum

rmcodrum Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Pennsylvania

Absolutely agree with you. The best way to get word of the "rare & special" beers is by visiting the bars and becoming friendly with the staff and owners. Once you begin to post these tappings on social media, you are only bringing in the one and done types that will not be eating food, and posting their findings to Facebook etc., for the world to see. This generates long lines of people that are there for the hype, and not there for the sake of enjoying the beer itself. The people in line that don't get the opportunity to enjoy the beer leave, generating no profit for the restaurant. The bar is tapping/ordering this beer for the hope that you will be purchasing food, beer, and liquor in order to bring up the check. It is a nice surprise when I walk into a PA bar and find they have a RR or cantillon on tap, and no hipsters lining out the door.

tlh1005, emeline, STG228 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jared_A

Jared_A Initiate (74) May 22, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

I ORDERED A HIGHLIFE! WTF IS THIS!

15. Jugs_McGhee

Jugs_McGhee Poo-Bah (9,626) Aug 15, 2010 Louisiana
    Society Trader

That article was so well-written and informative.

16. readyski

readyski Aspirant (279) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

kind of what they did :stuck_out_tongue:
    we'll take what we can get!

17. VDODSON

VDODSON Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 North Dakota

Stupid, what if a non regular insisted on purchasing it, would they refuse him/her? Why not just leave the tap unnamed, seems pretty unnecessary for something so trivial.

18. Thickfreakness

I have a couple of tap rooms near me that get so inundated with hipsters and loudmouth assholes on the weekends, that I won't go no matter what they tap. I missed a ton of great beer because I actually like to be able to speak to the friends I go out with without shouting, screaming and sweating because I have 19 people sharing my breathing space! I'll pop in on a Tuesday or go at 4pm when they open, but I just can't bring myself to be elbow to elbow with shitheads just to have BBA Flavor of the Week This and That! Even the tap lists have gotten flacid because they don't have people like me suggesting/asking/demanding great craft brews.
    It was great before everyone else got hip to these places, now I'm sad that their not mine anymore. Beer today reminds me of the late 80's early 90's music scene. I found a bunch of great stuff that no one knew about and was mine to share or not... and then all of a sudden every dickhead on the block was listening to MY songs! Stuff I'd been listening to for two years and now was all over the radio being overplayed and just for anyone. The first time I heard a Musak version of Come As You Are in an elevator, I just wanted to kill everyone! LOL!!! To me it's so sad when the masses grab onto what was once great. I really hope craft doesn't "Musak" me... I have a feeling it will though. I'm damn near done with it already... I'm bored. It's feeling like it's time to purge and move on.

Scrapss, vurt, 2beerdogs and 9 others like this.
  19. jaltland

jaltland Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Pennsylvania

You're very right. These "crazy super hypetime explosion" beers are excellent marketing tools but only if you have the capacity to sustain the kind of output people expect afterwards. Yeah you get PtY one week and are able to satisfy MAYBE half the demand for the beer. But then you're either going to alienate the normal customers that didn't get to drink the beer or you're going to create a standard of ridiculousness that will likely be unmatched in the following weeks. All those one-timers will only be interested in returning to get the next "crazy super hypetime explosion" brew but will likely not come back for another couple months, if at all. Taprooms and the like can use discretion when advertising a beer to control unwanted demand. Not everyone wants ants at their pickanick. :grinning:

jrnyc and RusImpStoLuv like this.
  20. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (2,448) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina
    Society

who cares? props to them for not causing a huge wave of hype to hit their establishment as everyone watching their twitter/facebook/instagram/pinterest comes out of the woodwork clamoring for some Younger. I think it was a smarter play than advertising the shit out of it and leaving a lot of people waiting in line hoping to make it in before the keg blows only to leave disappointed.

21. Thickfreakness

My cross to bear I guess.

ChanChan and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  22. Greels

Greels Aspirant (286) May 6, 2013 Colorado

I was there last weekend. Bar was full but by no means crowded. Saw High Life on tap (didn't notice the price). Don't know why it didn't strike me as absurd that they would have it on tap, but it didn't. Ordered a Bear Republic Apex.

I will regret this for years...

charger62790, Ford, Coco and 8 others like this.
  23. Kt_USF

Kt_USF Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 Florida

The people who get insanely butt hurt when a bar or beer shop keep stuff for their regulars really love to whine and complain on these forums.

It's a business, and the regulars keep said business in... well business. Any owner of these places aren't going to shed a tear when some truck chasing fair weather customer comes in pining for *insert suuuuuper whaleeeeey beeeeeer.* Nor will they care about your empty threat of never coming back, when in reality, you probably never were there to begin with.

What's even more hilarious is just how easy it is to become a "regular." Talk to the person running the beer section for more than five minutes, and chances are they might budge and give you a bottle. Asking if something came in weekly then promptly storming off if the answer is no isn't gonna do it.

24. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (237) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Saraveza will have it on March 10th

beerophilia likes this.
  25. mudbug

mudbug Defender (622) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

26. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (661) Mar 28, 2009 California

Gotta spread the love a little. A local place got a keg of PtY tapped it without posting. Prior to them tapping they let their "regulars" know the general date. I never saw more then 10 people in line at one time. Regulars got theirs while random people got it too. No line no hassle. Best PtY experience I've had in the last few years.

2beerdogs, STG228, Kt_USF and 2 others like this.
  27. Greels

Greels Aspirant (286) May 6, 2013 Colorado

It's not that I don't think I can get my hands on it. It's that I could have got it without going out of my way whatsoever and not waiting a single minute.

tylerstravis likes this.
  28. GetMeAnIPA

Don't worry about it. Apex may never come out again and Younger comes out every year. :wink:

Greels, beertunes and emeline like this.
  29. GetMeAnIPA

What about the guy who wanted Miller and Pliny :grimacing:

2beerdogs, russpowell and NCMonte like this.
  30. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (410) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Are you guys that regularly bitch about regulars taking notes?

Barrelsnbeer likes this.
  31. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (188) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

But would it not bother you one bit if you walked into said PA bar and did not get any RR or Cantillon on tap because you did not know to ask for Miller Chill? (assuming you found out about it afterwards)

I'm all for silent tappings to avoid a fenzy, but I find it a little to extreme (read shady) to intentionally tap and sell it under the wrong name.

russpowell, LambicPentameter and Pug like this.
  32. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (510) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

What if they sold Miller High Life as PtY? Would we get threads about "Does PtY taste different this year?"

33. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (174) Mar 14, 2007 California

I believe this to be illegal.

34. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (584) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Brewery

Fuckin' eh! Will you be my best friend?!

Giovannilucano and STG228 like this.
  35. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Did you think anyone ordered a Miller in a frosted glass?

36. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

I would've been so pissed if I ordered a High Life and got Pliny

37. Johnny_Muir

Johnny_Muir Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2014 New Jersey

Because its hilarious. Ive never had Pliny and never really cared bout the hype (Its like the black friday/iPad mini of beer), but this is too funny. Id try it now.

38. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

Pretty much a marketing ploy? The establishment is named and the story is a wild fire spreading the net. They still serve the beer, they still have their regulars. Half the people posting hate it and half love it. If you hate it, your not a regular and if you love it...you just might end up being one. Regulars already knew the beer was on tap? And now more know they serve it...more beer sales, more food sales, free advertisement...it's a win/win!

dazedandconfused likes this.
  39. zconner

zconner Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2009 New Jersey

Genius. Dealing with traveling beer geeks from far and wide that will come for ONE beer at your bar and never come back (until you get PtY or something like it again) is both annoying and doesn't really help business at all. Much better to cater to those that you know are loyal to your brand than try to cater to a bunch of ungrateful beer dorks looking for the next rarity.

Bsetz, jrnyc, HRamz3 and 2 others like this.
  40. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (727) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Cleverly? I am not sure what's dumber, the fact that a bar did this, or that there is a thread about it on BA.
    The bar was worried that if they announced it they may have lines and too many customers in their establishment?:astonished:
    There is nothing wrong with using any special release beer to drum up some business IMO. And how many PTY's did they end up pouring for people that really didn't want it. Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!!!

#40 KingforaDay, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Ozzylizard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.