Pliny the Younger cleverly sold as Miller High Life

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by cmmcdonn, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (363) Jul 7, 2010 New York

I've seen the term "neckbeard" used by some beer drinkers as a derogatory term for allegedly less informed beer drinkers than themselves.

I don't really understand the difference between the "neckbeards" and the people that are calling them that.

if you MUST blame someone, it's probably more productive to blame the brewery for not making more of the product, as opposed to belittling people for simply pursuing one of their favorite beers/breweries. being from a state originally does not give one entitlement or "dibs" for a beer brewed there. I'm not sure where this sense of geographical elitism come from.

blaming anyone in this instance is idiotic, actually. you're essentially blaming one side - either "neckbeards" or non-locals - for the plain logic of supply and demand.

if there's a great product, people will come from far and wide for it. this isn't exclusive to this industry, and it's never going to change.

JuicesFlowing and Ozzylizard like this.
  2. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

3. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

4. Kahless

Kahless Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Kansas

My two favorite bars here in Lawrence will announce that they're going to have a limited beer but they'll only give vague details about when; i.e. "We'll get it on tap sometime the week of the 7th."

This keeps from having huge lines, regulars can get some, but they still announce it widely enough that people who really want to can get there and try some.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  5. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

ISO: Miller High Life Pliny.

6. SierraJosh

SierraJosh Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2013 California

I love the term flat-lander....cheers from the mtns out west!

kemoarps likes this.
  7. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Beermongers is a great place, as for alienating people I don't see how that would happen, they were just making sure the after 5 crowd had a chance at a taste. The people there are great and the prices are some of the best in town.
    Cheers

8. rmcodrum

rmcodrum Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Pennsylvania

You are right, I would be PISSED to learn that I passed by the opportunity of grabbing something like this at a bar. Even when miller-"insert any style" is on a menu I put on the horse blinders; The last thing I would do is look at the price, why would I care? If I wanted water I would order water. This is taking the silent tapping to an extreme, however, we will start to see more and more bars getting creative with their special tappings. One thing is for sure, by putting secret PTY on tap as miller high life for regulars, they actually got more media attention then if they just put it on as PTY.

9. MontereyBay831

MontereyBay831 Initiate (134) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Trader

I go to my bar, because I love my bar... The beer that's tapped/bottles available are just a plus. A "thank you", if you will...

10. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (358) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I heard the keg blew at 5:30. So it obviously wasn't much of a secret for the regulars. Pretty cool idea to be nice to your regular customers.

11. Omnium

Omnium Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

You're not missing a while lot.

Mouserat likes this.
  12. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Sounds like a very good deal. Almost too good to be true.

13. Atthedrivein

Atthedrivein Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2012 New Jersey

Now every bar is going to post miller at $7 dollars just hoping someone will think they'll get pty. haha

Funny and effective move

Gfunk and kemoarps like this.
  14. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

I think this whole "secret beer" or mislabeled beer thing is awesome. It obviously separates us higher individuals from those fizzy yellow drinking pretenders. Us regulars DESERVE this and rightly so. Not to mention the beer tastes that much better when its wrapped around by my smug sense of entitlement.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,117) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

re: illegality.

I'd imagine every state requires correct tap handles on draught beer taps (tho', as noted in a post above, it is a frequently ignored law at many "craft" bars). Here's NJ's ABC Handbook statement:

16. coldy

coldy Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2010 Delaware

Nonsense

17. Boca-X

Boca-X Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

I was thinking the same thing...he was hip, when hip wasn't cool? My bar, my beers, my songs...my ass! lol!

18. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,623) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Now that I've read through the threads. I guess I see the logic. Been a while for me to be at a release, let alone a hyped one. I was up at a Bar in KC a few summers ago. They had a Stone Anny on tap, but no handle or even chalkboard notice. I sat at the bar & noticed on unlabeled handle getting wore out.
    I asked what it was, the barkeep reluctantly told me, she sure didn't seem happy to do so. My problem was those servers seemed more interested in talking with their buddies as opposed to taking care of everybody in general. It seemed like they were trying use that as their own private reserve. That's what pissed me off.

I wish I had a bar I could be a regular at, let alone, one serving PTY...

19. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

Triple IPA's cost a lot to make and have quite a short shelf life. Not an ideal choice for a brewery to increase production on, especially if they want to keep the quality of the product / experience the end user has at a "world class" level.

StuartCarter likes this.
  20. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yeah, I think most all do, but since we have no idea what handle was actually on the tap in use....

And given the number of folks on this site who think its good fun when a bartender reports connecting a Bud light keg to a Miller Lite tap with none of the customers even noticing the difference after the Lite kicked I'm thinking legality isn't the real issue that concerns many of those who didn't like the idea.

#100 drtth, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  21. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

I think it's funny that everyone who is annoyed by this in this thread is not from Oregon and has probably never been to Beermongers. Because if you had been, you'd know they are some of the most disarming, genuinely nicest guys in the world. I can't really even think about a place that cares MORE about their customers.

BTW, maybe the first time I've ever agreed with Todd about anything.

digita7693, exitmusic00 and KeKeKumba like this.
  22. AlwaysPullStout

AlwaysPullStout Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2013 New Jersey

Every single one of you sound like Golem from Lord of the Rings my goodness. Beer is meant to be enjoyed by all not just those who have the inside scoop, such cry babies with your "precious"

markdrinksbeer likes this.
  23. markdrinksbeer

In Oregon:

"
    845-006-0443
    Tap Labeling

Licensees retailing draught beer must disclose at all times the true brand name of the beer by attaching the brand name to the tap or pipe from which the beer is drawn, in such a manner as to make the brand name visible to the customer."

24. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Crusader (738) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

This is awesome! Haha!

25. RedMedicine

If you lived in PDX, you could have easily had Pliny the Younger 3-4x this week without what you perceive as a sense of entitlement. If you ever visit PDX and don't check out Beermongers, it will be your loss. You might truly be blown away by the complete lack of entitlement. Let us know you are coming in the Northwest forum, we will buy you a beer.

digita7693 and drtth like this.
  26. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

What you, and many other non-locals in this thread don't get is that beermongers isn't the sort of place that would _ever_ have a mass-market lager on tap. For that matter, neither would virtually any other beer bar in town. It's not that city. You don't have one or two craft beers mixed with a bunch of macro crap. Most bars are all craft, all the time, and beermongers is one of the top tier of beer bars in town. No one is wandering in actually wanting a high life and being confused at wtf they just got served. And any reasonable aware customer would recognize that something was odd about high life on the chalkboard.

27. markdrinksbeer

This version of your response was a bit nicer than your first one.
    I appreciate the change in tone, and I will take you up on that offer should I ever find my way over on the other side of the country.

28. Sampman

Sampman Initiate (0) May 26, 2013 Alabama

That's what I was wondering what the people that ordered MHL thought. On second thought, do people actually order MHL?

29. RedMedicine

You'd have to try really hard to find MHL in PDX. The local divey strip club has dedicated Deschutes and Boneyard taps.

HRamz3, drtth, digita7693 and 2 others like this.
  30. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (344) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

"Cleverly" should be in quotation marks.

31. Barrelsnbeer

Barrelsnbeer Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 North Carolina

if you saw miller highlife on tap for $7 for 12oz you wouldn't ask your bartender what the hell was going on? IDK about you but when i go to the bar, i actually have conversations with my bartender.

digita7693 likes this.
  32. kscaldef

Not at Beermongers.

digita7693 and drtth like this.
  33. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Sadly, in DC this price isn't so far off that it would raise a red flag. Sometimes (dc beer week maybe?) some bars will even intentionally price BMC over most craft.

Regardless, my stance on the topic wouldn't change if I were an astute patron or "in the know" with the staff. I have no pony in this race and I will probably never go to Beermongers for geographical reasons. I just think its a pretty shady tactic for any establishment.

34. CapitalGains

CapitalGains Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2009 Oregon

Yep - the keg blew about 5:30 - 5:45. I was able to procure the last full pour before it kicked, but ended up giving about half to the person behind me who'd never had it before. Although I don't know when the keg exactly went on, I was aware that it was on tap in disguise for a couple hours. More than anything I was surprised it didn't last longer, but I suppose once the word gets out, it starts to snowball.

35. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Disciple (357) Feb 24, 2011 New Jersey

It is the wild west still! heheh

36. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

So some BMC drinker walks into a bar. Sees nothing but craft beer, except high life. I guess I'll have a high life he says. The glass looked a little small. Oh well. First sip. Yeah this is the wrong beer. How does the bartender explain this? And how do they explain Pliny the drain pour?

37. kscaldef

Did you even try to read the thread before posting?

digita7693 likes this.
  38. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

I read the article and the first few posts. Sounds like you could have very easily been trying to actually order High Life. Yeah the price is high and the glass is small, but not everyone (especially non beer geeks) pay attention to the price and size details. If that is the only non craft beer, they might have just thought they were in an expensive part of town and ordered it.

39. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Since the staff knows what's going on, the patron would just be let down easy and directed to some other light option. There's no way PtY would mistakenly be poured in that instance.

digita7693 likes this.
  40. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

You all seem to have some strange idea that this was done at BW3s or Hooters or World of beer or (insert generic bar with 20 taps of BMC); this is at a craft bottle shop/bar with 8 taps run by people who love beer and happen to be great people. Your whimsically concocted example of some BMC drinker walking in and expecting to get miller is simply preposterous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.