Pliny the Younger cleverly sold as Miller High Life

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by cmmcdonn, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,566) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I didn't think you were pissed, and perhaps the McDonalds analogy is faulty since there are 4000 McD around the world and only one RR. But you are using a lot of words that include only you (I prefer, I feel, I want) which leads to the assumption that you only care about you. Just because YOU want something of a brewer or restaurant or shoe store doesn't mean the establishment should acquiesce to your demands. I think others, and I, are insinuating that you are being demanding of RR, not taking into account how they want to run their business. Sure, they could stop production of many beers to produce more of what YOU want, but that doesn't mean RR wants the same thing. It doesn't matter if someone is willing to pay $40 per bottle of X beer; if the brewery chooses not to make that beer, they have the right to do that. Its really that simple. Let businesses and people make their own decisions, whether it benefits you or not. That's all I'm sayin'.

2. RelentlessLefty

RelentlessLefty Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2012 Iowa

I didn't mean to make this a big deal, obviously my comments struck a nerve, which is why your making personal jabs at me. Most places around here "in iowa" broadcast when something special is about to hit the tap. Honestly i probably would be upset if a keg of Black note showed up and it was a secret. Just so you know, I have been and go to plenty of bars.

teddyarrowhead,
    sorry i have not been to either of those places, unfortunately i have not had the opportunity. After reading your post I can understand their approach, with the bar next door openly advertising it. Also, as you have stated every one got there PTY, which is key. I mean no disrespect for Mongers, it seems like a place I would like to visit in the future. Thanks for the clarification.

3. RebeccaMB

RebeccaMB Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

I dont understand why you would bother putting Pliny on tap if you obviously didnt want people drinking it.

Coco, Matthew1788 and pjk49202 like this.
  4. DrChadly

DrChadly Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2013 Florida

This was my first thought. Haha

5. mythaeus

mythaeus Crusader (761) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I can only speak for myself, hence the I this and I that. Judging from the demand, I'm will to bet that most PtE fans are willing to give some of that up for more PtY production.

Once again, no one especially me will tell anyone to run their business. But a business has customers. It's a mutual relationship that will grow together. Customers have a voice and they should speak up if they want/wish/prefer something and share their sense of things. Can you imagine everyone just STFU and walk away instead of expressing their opinion and perspective? Businesses will never be able to thrive.

memphischas likes this.
  6. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,811) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I realize there are a lot of posts in this thread RebeccaMB, but if you have a chance, read some of them. Very clearly BM did not do this in order to confuse or mislead people. It was done as a joke/prank, with the expectation that everyone who goes to BM would understand the humor behind it. Also, we're talking about a keg that routinely kicks in an hour or two (at the most), as well as a beer bar that caters almost exclusively to craft beer consumers. Hence, the likelihood of some pilgrim from Kansas walking in, spotting the miller high life selection for $7 a glass, and walking out in anger, is so neglible as to be a non factor.

Otherwise, welccome to BA and enjoy your time here. Cheers!

7. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,777) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have never had Younger in my many years of drinking craft beer in the SEPA area. But I would tell you flatly that from what people say about it I would not give up any Elder for more Younger.

I can drive home after a PtY maybe two with some food. PtE is just hype and nonsense. If there was more of it and it was on tap more often it would be sad to watch it sit idle for weeks at a time.

mythaeus likes this.
  8. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

a) I think you mixed up your second paragraph

b) I'm not sure how you can say that you wouldn't prefer a beer that you've never had

(FWIW, I've had Younger & Elder side-by-side a couple times and some years I prefer one, some years I prefer the other.)

mythaeus likes this.
  9. Beer4B

Beer4B Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Florida

Hah, I still can't quit laughing at this post! Please tell me it is satire!

If it isn't, then why the heck are you on such a popular beer forum?!?! Shouldn't you be on some crappy startup forum that is much cooler and more exclusive?

I loved my friend like you in college. He got to spend a lot of time listening to crappy startup bands only to find a nugget every long once in a while and then he'd tell me about them. I didn't have to be a miserable loser searching to be the first. Then once they "made it big" he despised them. Well, if you really like doing that to yourself than good luck.

Helpful hint: most things are cyclical. If you want to be cool again for a while, I recommend drinking nothing but BMC products...very hipster.

10. RebeccaMB

RebeccaMB Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

Ill admit that I didnt read much into it. I skimmed through some of the comments and replied without really giving alot of thought other than "some bar is being shady". My bad. Ive had some experiences where people (who own beer shops) sit on highly sought after beers and basically dont want other people to enjoy it unless they are part of the "in crowd" and ive never understood that mindset. I simply assumed that that was the case here. If it was an inside joke, then thats actually pretty funny as long as they weren't turning some people away and then pouring for someone else.

11. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

I like the folks at BM a lot, but I'm with you on your last comment. Based on my experience at BM, it's unimagineable to me that they would even consider doing something like that.

I think I see what you're concerned about now. Younger is a draft only product so it's pretty hard to pull something like that (though I guess I can imagine a scenario where it might happen, even though I can't say I've ever seen a bar pull something like that). I have mixed feelings about the scenario you describe, as I can see both sides of the arguement (a lot of stores have mailing lists and will notify their regulars when some rare, or extremely limited beer comes into the store). As an outsider I hate the practice, but from a store owner perspective, it's understandable. You have a very rare/limited, highy desirable product that you know will fly off the shelf the minute you stock it (Founders CBS is a good example), so selling product and making money on it becomes a secondary issue. That being the case, it's natural to want to reward (and encourage) the folks who have stood by you and kept you in business over the years, and this is an easy way to do that. So it's hard to really get angry with the store for engaging in such a pratice.

Anyway, that's not what happened at BM the other night. To the best of my knowledge, anyone that came in and asked about the beer was allowed to order it (whether you happened to be a regular or not).

RebeccaMB likes this.
  12. kscaldef

There's actually multiple bars in Portland with a "secret tap" where you have to a) know that it even exists, b) ask the bartender about it, c) even then hope that they feel like admitting that there's something on it. Beermongers is not one of those bars.

digita7693 likes this.
  13. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Seriously??? I hate to sound so naive, but I've never heard of any bar doing something like that. Even back in the day when Apex wouldn't post PtE on their online tap list, it would be on the bar tap list and they never tried to hide the fact that they had it available. I also know of bars that will notify their regulars by text or by email when they're going to have something particularly rare and desirable on tap, but I've never heard of any place that would intentionally hide a particualar draft item from a a customer actually there at the bar.

I'm amazed to hear this.

14. Seanvino

Seanvino Initiate (100) Jan 5, 2009 California

This is the the thing that gets me about a large part of the thread: did they refuse anyone a pour from the "MHL" tap? I haven't seen anyone say anyone who asked for a pour wasn't able to get one :rolling_eyes:

I attend quite a few public wine tastings and and sometimes a winery will have "something special" under the table besides their regular line up. When this bottle appears to pour a sample for someone else I have never been refused a sample when I have asked for one and when interacting with the people pouring often a hidden gem appears when I have shown interest in the line up/winery. And yes I know it is not a perfect comparison.

drtth likes this.
  15. stuftpizzamilpitas

stuftpizzamilpitas Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2014 California

Bar owners want to give the regulars first dibs on the beer because regulars are supporting their business regularly and by having Pliny in Elder or Younger format it just helps add value to your restaurant or pub that you are a craft beer presence.....plus people that just want Pliny and not anything else most likely never come back.

goodbyeohio and SeaAle like this.
  16. sixpointfive

sixpointfive Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 Texas

The keg kicked in less than 3 hours. What size "keg" was it anyway, a 1/4 barrel or 1/2 barrel? Regardless, unless this place is a HUGE bar, kicking any keg in under 3 hours is pretty quick, so obviously having it illegally renamed didn't really extend the quantity they had on hand that much, did it?

17. DannyS

DannyS Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2007 New York

I think I'll just drive back up to Vermont and do another Heady Topper run. At least I know what I'm getting into when I do that. I'm not really interested in watching tap reports like a hawk and likely trudging into manhattan to some crowded-ass bar, forced to share the drinking space with whackadoo hipsters and neckbeards from Williamsburg, when I can much more easily make a weekend trip into Burlington, track down a case or two of HT, and enjoy it on my own time.

Ford likes this.
  18. kscaldef

I'm guessing a sixtel, which is only 50 12-oz pours. Also, I think it was really on closer to 4 or 4:30 hours. Basically, I think it disappeared quick as soon as the afterwork crowd started to show up

19. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Florida

Pretty sure it was..

However, I would say the beer snob and music snob are of the same genus and close to the same species...

I absolutely loathe both.

rozzom likes this.
  20. Five_Four_Plus

Five_Four_Plus Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 California

Ha ha, exactly my first thoughts. I wish I could of been there when that High-Life drinking barfly got his face melted.

21. Ford

Ford Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

If I owned a bar and got in Pliny the Younger.. I would put up a plain tap and sell it as Whiny the Whalezer.

22. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

I like the idea in some respects, and I dislike it in others - but I was surprised to see you call it awesome. Do you think this type of thing is in line with our weird little notion of 'advocacy'? By listing it as Miller High Life, were these people 'respecting' the beer?

23. Todd

Todd Founder (6,219) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

I think sometimes people take things too seriously.

24. Hop-Droppen-Roll

It's just a question posed for the sake of discussion. I'm not trying to be preachy, I don't even have my soapbox anymore. I pulled it apart for firewood yesterday.

25. tlh1005

tlh1005 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 North Carolina

I'd venture to guess that *A LOT* of the butthurt comes from those who are more prone to lineup at whatever bar whenever, or chase a truck to a bottle shop they hardly every go to. It's a free country so that's their choice to make, but the same freedom applies to an establishment in how they release/advertise their rarities. And as far as losing potential customers, again, their prerogative and obviously it's still advantageous since places keep doing stuff like this.

It definitely kept the leg around longer than if it was advertised and maybe throwing the Miller Lite name on it still gave more people a chance to get it than just having a blank tap. If I saw Miller Lite priced higher than others I'd inquire or at least make a joke about it!

#185 tlh1005, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  26. audioserf

audioserf Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Connecticut

How bummed is the BMC guy who really wanted that High Life and gets handed a Pliny, though?

27. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Not at all, since in that bar in that town he'd be searching for it in a different bar in a different part of town. And if by some extremely small chance he wandered in and really wanted a BMC beer he'd be referred to a place where it might be found.

John_M likes this.
  28. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

This is complete bullshit. I've been buying a sixer of High Life every night since this thread started. That's six weeks, 42 six pakcs, 252 cans.

Not a single can has contained PtY!

eb1610 likes this.
  29. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,117) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

There's your ^ problem right there.

Remember that Miller High Life is (well, "was"...) "The Champagne of Bottle Beer"
    (even the MHL CANS said it!:confused:)
    so they don't put the Pliny in the cans, either. Better switch to bottles. :wink:

HRamz3 likes this.
  30. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (8,600) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Good lord, this is an annoying comment.

31. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

Well that really complicates things! Pliny in a clear bottle??

32. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (201) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I used to own a bar, it was before this whole craft beer craze. But if I recieved an amazingly special keg of a once a year beer. I would not advertise it. I would keep it low key and tap it one day when I was really busy. I look at it this way. I KNOW I WILL EMPTY THIS KEG IN ONE DAY, I will make the same amount of money on it if I just silenty tap it as I would if I made a big deal out it. If I make a big deal out of it, I will get all the one and done customers that dont pay my rent month over month. Sure I may pick up a hand full of new regulars. But I would rather just tap it, maybe wait an hour or so then put in social media.

As a business owner, it makes no sense for me to geek out about it. And I think this bar owner was very clever about it. I know with my curiosity, if I were to see Miller Highlife on a menu board for $7, I am going to ask WTF!

HRamz3 likes this.
  33. John_M

Moderator Society Trader

Actually, at Beermongers, if you saw MHL on the menu at any price, your reaction would be WTF! I think that was kind of the point.

34. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Couldnt agree more. The guys at BM are the nicest bartenders I have found in PDX. Awalys helpful. I have even experienced them opening up new bottles they have gotten in and pouring tasters for the customers. If that's not sharing, I don't know what is.

35. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Exactly!

This is the current taplist at Beermongers (they have 8 taps). Your telling me that if you walked in and saw Miller High Life on that board being sold for 7 bucks, you wouldn't question it.

1. 2 Towns Hop N' Stalk
    2. Off Color DinoS'mores Imp. Stout
    3. Burnside Hasselhoff Helles Lage
    4. De Dolle Arabier
    5. Hopworks Kentucky Christmas
    6. Elysian Oddland #3 Ginger Berry Brown
    7. Gigantic Ginormous DIPA
    8. Double Mountain Hoperation #7 IPA

If you can't realize that then you don't deserve it.

36. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Aspirant (201) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I guess i meant that I would actually ask someone, Hey you guys really selling Miller High Life?

37. Hop-Droppen-Roll

I don't disagree. I was SO bored.

38. NFMSKRS

NFMSKRS Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 California

PTY is way overrated and not worth any wait in line. Who cares if they found a clever way to cater to the people that have been loyal to their establishment. New patrons would have only went their for Younger anyways. It's not a big deal!

39. cptbenjamin

cptbenjamin Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2013 North Carolina

40. stealth

stealth Zealot (543) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

I had PtY for the first time this year and thought it was amazeballs. Even better, though, was drinking nearly a gallon of Beatification. Winning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.