PNW porters & stouts that aren't brewed by Deschutes?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by leedorham, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leedorham

leedorham Defender (698) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Help me out here. What are some good ones? Seems like we're kind of lacking in that category.

2. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (982) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Fremont's standard Dark Star Oatmeal Stout is nice. Wait, it's an Imperial Stout, don't know if that counts.

sanford_and_son likes this.
  3. honkduh

honkduh Aspirant (260) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Ursus Spelæus - Sound Brewery
    brewers reserve imperial stout - Old Schoolhouse

barleywinefiend and Lordkrystic like this.
  4. leedorham

Looking more for single stouts and porters. Lots of brewers seem to be willing to go imperial.

5. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Fremont does have Proletariat porter, it's nice.

leedorham likes this.
  6. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Crusader (767) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Big Time Old Rip, and Big Time Coal Creek Porter. Machine House Mild has a lot of flavors you may enjoy even though it isn't a stout or porter (and at only 3.6 ABV you can drink the hell out of it). Snoqualmie Steam Train Porter, Black Raven Coco Jones Porter (and their Tamerlane is delicious too). I'm sure there are more.

Kurmaraja, flexabull and leedorham like this.
  7. TheBungyo

I also really liked Maritime's porter but I haven't seen that one in ages. It's listed as retired now I think ... but that probably doesn't mean anything.

8. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,408) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Snoqualmie Steam Train is one of my favorite porters.
    Also, what about Alaskan Smoked Porter?

9. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (513) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Elysian Dragonstooth Stout
    American Caboose Oatmeal Stout

Georgetown Porter

10. leedorham

Both great beers. Good call.

I have not had the former. I'll have to look for it. I could take or leave the Alaskan, honestly.

I'll also contribute some I've recalled:

Ft. George Polish's Black Walnut
    Icicle Priebe Porter

11. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (153) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

Had the Elysian Perseus Porter the other day after not having it for a while. An easy drinker.

devlishdamsel and leedorham like this.
  12. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

Laurelwood makes Tree Hugger Porter and Space Stout. Both are good but harder to find. I think Tree Hugger gets bottled but Space Stout does not.

Edit: Keep an eye out for their Portland Roasting Espresso Stout and Moose and Squirrel Imp Stout. Both will be out in the coming months.

13. Aml42000

Aml42000 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Washington

Bottled? The selections are pretty limited. Dragonstooth is a good one. The American oatmeal is very nice as well.

14. leedorham

Yeah, it seems that a lot of the mentions are not bottled or are very limited.

Especially in the case of porters, it's kind of strange to me that a style with a very popular example in the region (Black Butte) seems to get overlooked by a lot of breweries.

15. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (247) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

HUB 7 Grain Survival Stout is pretty decent, as is Oakshire Overcast. And I'll second MADHomebrewer's Laurelwood Portland Roast recommendation. That stuff is excellent if you're into coffee stouts.

Too bad Gigantic Time Traveller was a one-off. That was a solid porter.

vurt likes this.
  16. trbergman

trbergman Defender (664) Nov 17, 2006 England

Ninkasi Oatis

17. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

You could say that of a lot of local beers in any style. We have a pub culture, lots of breweries see no reason to bottle at all.

Well, Black Butte is very popular with folks who like dark beer, but aren't necessarily beer geeks. But, as a general rule, porters don't get the beer geek jimmies rustled. We want our dark beers imperialized, and in a barrel if at all possible.

18. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (396) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Several good ones out there but not in 12 oz 6 packs like Deschutes. Maybe Silver City will start doing their Porter in a six pack. They now have their IPA and Red in 6 packs.

19. TheBungyo

I had American Caboose for the first time several months ago. I was very surprised how good it was.

20. leedorham

American is the real deal. I could do without the marketing schtick but they are a great example of what happens when you put real money behind a passionate brewer.

checktherhyme likes this.
  21. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

I don't know how I forgot about those. Those are great.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  22. loren01

loren01 Champion (830) Mar 11, 2004 Washington

Fort George Cavatica stout is one of my favorites. Dragonstooth from Elysian is excellent. Also Black Bear stout from alameda is solid.

23. draheim

Beer Trader

Marketing schtick? What'd I miss?

24. leedorham

Maybe I'm just a cynic. The whole "buy American" thing seems a little pandery.

25. distantmantra

Beer Trader

American can do whatever they like. They named a beer Stupid Sexy Flanders.

sanford_and_son, bfg75 and leedorham like this.
  26. draheim

Beer Trader

Oh. I wasn't even aware of that. I think it's just a cheesy play on words.

beertunes likes this.
  27. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Poo-Bah (4,806) Feb 20, 2009 Washington

Elysian Dragonstooth was my go to stout for many years and still quite nice. I've always felt the Skagit's Trumpeter gets a lot less love than it deserves. It is in my top 10. It's bottled one a year, but hangs around for a while. Ursus Spelæus is excellent (as is almost everything from Sound Brewing) but only shows up sporadically. If Ft. George Polish's Black Walnut was bottled, it would be on my list too.

ScreamForMe and libbey like this.
  28. flexabull

flexabull Poo-Bah (2,265) Mar 9, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

I'll also nominate Snoqualmie Steam Train Porter. Very good example of the style.

libbey likes this.
  29. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (513) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

The Ram's Total Disorder Porter has won medals at GABF and I have found it tasty. Just be sure to remember to tell your server not to bring it in a frosted mug.

barleywinefiend and Lordkrystic like this.
  30. TheBungyo

I was going to say Cavatica too, but I think he's looking for regular stouts and not double/imperial.

31. draheim

Beer Trader

Thread inspired me to pick up a couple local porters today: American Caboose (which was mentioned) and Schooner Exact Profanity Hill (which wasn't). I also saw Scuttlebut Porter in both bombers in 6-packs, didn't grab that one. Not sure what it is about Scuttlebut but I've never tried a single one of their beers.

32. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,594) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Flyers Pacemaker Porter is available in 22s, I believe. Another vote for Steam Train. As I've mentioned before, I'm a fan of Skagit Trumpeter Stout. I like the Boundary Bay Oatmeal Stout, but at 9%, it's an Imperial. Silver City Panther Lake Porter is top-notch. As usual, Anacortes sneaks a tasty example in, a nice Porter. Honestly, M & Js Black Cat Porter is decent. They're around, you can find 'em.

33. sharpski

sharpski Champion (825) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Not quite the PNW, but I think Sierra Nevada's Stout and Porter and Anchor's Porter are solid examples, widely available, in 12oz bottles, and worth consideration.

34. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Aspirant (296) Jul 17, 2005 Washington
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

It's been said but it's too good to not repeat: Snoqualmie Steam Train Porter. Excellent.

draheim likes this.
  35. zestd

zestd Disciple (362) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

I have a soft spot for Iron Horse's Irish Death.

36. whiskey

whiskey Aspirant (270) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I really want to love that beer, but every time I try it I just get such a watery mouthfeel I almost can't finish it. And just happens to be everywhere in Spokane.

37. leedorham

Genius name, but that's about all imho.

beertunes likes this.
  38. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,594) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I don't think the brewery even knows what they want that beer to be. Not on my recommended list of WA beers.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  39. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (2,735) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon

This might be controversial but i think CDA killed the Porter in the PNW!
    That said Worthy Lights Out Stout is a fav right now .

beertunes likes this.
  40. tozerm

tozerm Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2005 Washington

Unfortunately not a porter or a stout... don't believe me... look at their website. Tasty brew to be sure, but not a porter or stout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.