Release Polar Seltzer teamed up with UFO Beer to release a limited-edition fruit-flavored brew

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by elohim, May 11, 2018.

1. elohim

elohim Initiate (154) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia

Are beer and seltzer the new peanut butter and jelly?

Worcester-based Polar Seltzer has teamed up with Harpoon Brewery’s UFO Beer to create a fruit-flavored beer just in time for Memorial Day weekend celebrations. The result is UFO Blueberry Lemonade Beer, a “Hefeweizen brewed with the essence of Polar Blueberry Lemonade,” Harpoon wrote.

The unfiltered wheat beer will be widely available by mid-May, on store shelves in six packs of 12-ounce cans and on tap while supplies last, according to a UFO Beer spokesperson. In other words, as the cans will say, it’s “berry limited.”

UFO, made in Boston at Harpoon, stands for “UnFiltered Offering” — the yeast is not filtered out of the beer, so the brews are all cloudy.

“Our brewers worked closely with the team from Polar to select a delicious flavor from their Seltzer’ade line that would pair well with a classic wheat beer,” Harpoon wrote. “Flavor adventure is about to take on a whole new meaning with this partnership!”

Polar’s Seltzer’ade line, which includes blueberry lemonade, was released in February of 2017.

Last week, Polar Seltzer revealed its summer 2018 flavors, which include three new flavors and two old favorites.

https://www.boston.com/culture/food...beer-to-release-a-limited-fruit-flavored-brew

meefmoff likes this.
  2. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (525) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

It's interesting to note that Harpoon has all but spun the UFO line off into its own thing. They have their own website now and are not even listed on the main site anymore. Plus the new packaging is definitely highlighting UFO itself as the brand more than Harpoon. People love their Polar soda and selzter out here (diet orange dry is the pinnacle of soda for me) so it's probably a smart crossover.

Between this and their acquisition of Clown Shoes they certainly look to be trying to keep a foot in multiple ponds of the beer world. And for anyone who may not know, the UFO beers way predate the current 'haze craze', so this is not related to that.

I don't buy the UFO line myself but I like that they appear to keep plenty of cash in Harpoon's pocket.

Ranbot, LeRose and zid like this.
  3. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (230) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

The UFO line has so many fruit beers out its ridiculous. The latest one I saw the other day was the pink lemonade shandy. I did notice Harpoon has a hazy ipa out (of course they do) and I might try that eventually.

TonyLema1 likes this.