Poll: For those who enjoy India Pale Ales, which style do you currently prefer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Feb 18, 2019.

?

For those who enjoy India Pale Ales, which style do you currently prefer?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2019.
  1. English IPA

53 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. American IPA

555 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. New England IPA

601 vote(s)
    48.7%
  4. Brut IPA

24 vote(s)
    1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (588) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I haven't had one in at least 3 years, because I gave up, but it's possible they've been modified since.

2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,110) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

haha no doubt. I was wondering what other awesome styles would get thrown in my face in response to that. I fully agree and would just say that I think that dynamic is the recipe for tasty beer. The sweet/bitter interface is a good beer gold mine

DiUr likes this.
  3. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,168) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I'm right there with you. And as for the Brut IPA thing, it's a distant 4th for me.

Kendo likes this.
  4. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 California

Hard to choose between WC IPA and NEIPA. I definitely drink more NE's if I'm being honest, though they're all made by CA breweries, haha. The NE style can be really badly done though, and I've experienced that a lot. I feel like it's hard to screw up a WC IPA, at least it is for the classic brewers of the style like Stone, Alesmith, Sierra, etc.

5. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,829) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I'm sure folks in Chico tasted Torpedo before it made its way South to Davis. But it was on tap in my later grad school years, and I'd guess 2005 or 2006 as the first time I sampled that SN goodness on draft.

TongoRad likes this.
  6. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,778) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Torpedo became a core bottled beer probably sometime around early 2009. For a few years before that, it was a limited draft beer and they were changing the recipe throughout those draft years.

@TongoRad

7. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

If you had a line-up of Victory HopDevil, Deschutes Fresh Squeezed, Bell's Two-Hearted, and Sierra Nevada Torpedo I think you'll find significant differences between those AIPAs. Based on responses in this discussion Heady Topper seems to be on the bubble between AIPA and NEIPA, and could be another reference point.

Edit: ...and I would have said Ballantine IPA if it was still being brewed... a shame.

8. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (430) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Significant? With my palate I would be able to tell the difference and have actually done side by sides using these beers but significantly no, especially between beers like Torpedo and Hop Devil. I am sure that we can say this about many styles but my point was I rarely understood why one IPA would be so amazing and another very similar one was meh...I just rarely tasted THAT much difference between many. For IPAs, especially the old[er] school ones, the bitter dominated everything on my palate and for me they all became a bit one note.

9. ESHBG

But the higher the IBUs* the less other flavors come into play, at least with my palate.

*I know that there can be flaws using this scale but have to go with something to try to have a baseline.

10. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,110) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Ya this is sort of extreme end into the 'wcipa' quadrant. For many people the beers become out of balance and they don't consider them good, for people whose palates lean that way there is more tolerance (and even more more tolerance when the hypetrain is stopping by the station).
    I see styles sort of like those flavor wheels with each beer having it's own unique polygon within the wheel. Some styles probably have less variation in the polygons, a style like our understanding of IPA would have polygons all over the place, to the point of any possible beer probably having a mirror image in some other almost opposite tasting beer.

ESHBG likes this.
  11. ESHBG

I won't bore everyone with my IPA adventures over the many years but a very recent example: I had a fresh bottle of Fat Heads Head Hunter just the other day, a beer I have had a few times but not recently. Many folks rave about this beer but for me, enjoyable but one and done and I won't want another for a while. I could pick out different flavors but most of it was just bitter and to me kind of...dull by the end of the glass? But I guess the strong bitter presence is the point of a WC style IPA, though.

12. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,539) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

I'm pretty much with the poll, percentage wise, as far as what I like and try.
    Obviously saying that, Brut and English I try less and I've yet to have a great Brut but I hear they're out there.
    I feel it's too bad that there is so much NEIPA bashing. Everyone is different, get over it.

13. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

You could turn that around on yourself, you know...

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,617) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

From the posts you have made I am under the impression that for your palate the bitterness aspect is ‘overwhelming’ your enjoyment of the hop flavors/aromas?

I can relate that for my palate I pick up a lot of enjoyable hop flavors/aromas in beers such as Head Hunter. Head Hunter is not “dull” for me. We all do indeed have our own unique palates.

Cheers!

ESHBG likes this.
  15. SerialInebriate

SerialInebriate Initiate (0) May 16, 2004 Montana

Damn! I need to log In more often the Poll closed Yesterday! But if I had to chose just 1 Style it would have to be American Style IPA but I love Em All Really! Cheers to all you other Hop Heads out there! Life is Good!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  16. Lidman99

Lidman99 Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2019 Tennessee

Respectfully disagree the distinction is blurry. Completely different taste profiles.
    No matter, we are in beer nirvana in the US!

17. TheBeardofHorm

TheBeardofHorm Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2019 Montana

How about the emerging breed of Mountain IPAs?
    Oskar Blues Tropical Can-o-Bliss is a real treat and I’m looking forward to trying Odell’s new mountain IPA as well...

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. smcolw

smcolw Poo-Bah (9,896) Jan 16, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

1. English IPA because they're so hard to find in America.
    2. American IPA
    3. Brut IPA, I love the idea of new styles created by adventurous brewers
    4. New England IPA, but not too extreme. ;-D

Bitterbill likes this.
  19. ESHBG

So after thinking about this and revisiting some old regulars NEIPA is more for me, as I love the fruity/juicy, softer mouthfeel and lower bitterness but yet still just enough to keep it interesting. I have found that I have fallen out of love with WCIPAs, some DIPAs and the darker IPAs e.g. Hop Devil and Torpedo.

I realize that I have barely scratched the surface with NEIPAs but I will take them over many of the other IPA styles and the few Brut IPAs I have had I liked so I would like to explore them a little more (especially if the trend takes hold).

20. defunksta

defunksta Poo-Bah (1,827) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Society Trader

This question could be improved. For many people, including myself, you cannot pick a "favorite IPA" because it depends on the occasion/time/place. Also, West Coast wasn't even listed as an option. With the explosion of IPAs, it is now more of an umbrella term than a style of beer. A Brut and a NEIPA are such different beers that comparing them is a fool's errand, similar to comparing a pilsner vs a stout. A Brut is by no means the most flavorful beer and thus not most people's favorite, however if you're sampling some milder delicacies at a dinner party and want a lighter and drying drink, then a Brut might be your preferred choice at that time. We should be comparing specific beers within each specific style, as each style of IPA should be recognized independently. What are your top AIPA, NEIPAs, West-Coast IPAs, Bruts is a much better question we should discuss.

21. Todd

Todd Founder (6,682) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Forgot to post the final results and lock this one down.

Anyway, whether or not you agreed with the poll was irrelevant. The point was to pick one of the presented poll options based on what you currently preferred.

Twitter:
    English IPA = 6%
    American IPA = 40%
    New England IPA = 51%
    Brut IPA = 4%
    w/ 4,244 votes

BeerAdvocate:
    English IPA = 4.3%
    American IPA = 45%
    New England IPA = 48.7%
    Brut IPA = 1.9%
    w/ 1,233 votes

I'm not overly surprised by the results, but I did expect NEIPA to be higher.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

Cheers!

FBarber, Jaycase, meefmoff and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.