Poll: How long are you willing to drive for beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by eppie82, Apr 26, 2020.

?

How long are you willing to drive (1-way) in a single day to get beer?

1. I don't drive. It gets brought to me.

7 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. 30 minutes or less.

115 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. 1 hr or less.

88 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. 2 hrs or less

115 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. 4hrs or less

63 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. 4hrs or more

87 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. micada

micada Meyvn (1,391) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I literally just drove 3 hours each way to Ohio. These were my main targets, though they didn’t have some goodies I wanted:

[​IMG]

2. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (451) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

I've driven 45 minutes to get to Shangy's in Emmaus Pa to get kegs of Salvator, Jenlain Biere de Garde and cases of stuff you don't find anywhere else.

officerbill and dcotom like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

HF is a bitch, it near like nowhere relevant unless you live there. Wonder what they do for work as far as the locals go.

We stayed in Waterbury and it’s still a drive, I’ve heard Waterbury used to be home to Asylums back in the day, like multiple crazy houses I was told. I forgot what they called Waterbury back then but it was a specific name.

Harrison8 likes this.
  4. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Zealot (572) Aug 24, 2020 California

I'm spoiled...I have multiple excellent retailers and a couple breweries within 15 minutes. The only way I will drive farther than that is if it is part of a brewery road trip for the day or weekend

TongoRad likes this.
  5. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,484) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I am resurfacing this thread as I just did one of my silly beer-centric stupidities: I live in Philly, but last week I drove to Baltimore in the early morning and then flew to Albany (with two empty suitcases), rented a car and drove to the Vermont state line, filled the two suitcases with Heady, Focal, and Second Fiddle, and then drove back to Albany, flew to Baltimore and headed home.

I don't always do things like that, but when I do I go all in.

lucius10, dcotom, eppie82 and 6 others like this.
  6. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,083) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Funny how things change because I’m at the point where I am not doing anything that’s even a little out the way. I’m just as happy with a coors light from the spot next door I have zero time in my life

7. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,083) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

What part Philly. I know it takes fun out of a trip but Roger Wilco in Pennsauken right over the tacony bridge regularly has cases of all those beers with no limit.

officerbill likes this.
  8. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (589) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

If im/youre drinking youre an idiot to drive and drink more than 5 minutes to drink( duis)
    Designated drivers though..... 3 days. Your dumbass chose that life

9. foundersasap

foundersasap Disciple (382) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Had a few?

10. colby600

colby600 Champion (800) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I can't decipher that nonsense.

officerbill, eppie82 and Squire like this.
  11. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,484) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Very true and thanks for the heads up. I have made the trip across to NJ several times for that purpose as I know of a few places that bring whale-esque beers including the above from time to time. I'm based just west of Philly so I can be in NJ in 35mins and do so often. I just enjoy (when I have time) to do the trek to VT.

Urk1127 likes this.
  12. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (589) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

I meant to say that if i am gonna drive to and from a place to have a flight of high ABV stouts it better be really close because a DUI is no joke.
    If you have a designated driver though , I'm willing to compensate him for up to 3 days drive for a chance at a "whale" of a beer.

That make more sense?

13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Dedication is a thing to be admired in a man.

14. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,827) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I never saw this thread at the time it was relevant but now it’s funny to see given the other thread regarding the hours long flight to obtain the KBBS. Me personally, I drive an hour and 45 bi-monthly or so to visit a favorite brewery and pick up beer. That would be about as far as I’m willing to go for just beer. That being said, I’ve been planning a weekend trip to the GR area for a while to visit some places/family and potentially meet up with some other advocates so when there’s more involved than just beverages, I suppose I’m willing to travel further.

Cheers.

15. True_Bodhisattva

True_Bodhisattva Initiate (85) May 11, 2019 California
    Trader

I’ll only take a long trip for beer if there’s more to be done with it. It might be the end goal, but I try to do stuff in the city where the brewery is and maybe do stuff along the way. I’ll also drive longer for a share because then it’s an event. No more than 3 hours though.

BigIronH likes this.
  16. keithmurray

keithmurray Poo-Bah (1,793) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

In most cases, not willing to drive more than about 20 minutes door to door to the nearest bottle shop or brewery

officerbill, BigIronH and Harrison8 like this.
  17. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,491) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I've driven 4hrs one way at the most. It took two rare beers I had been after for awhile at the time. Actually making that same drive this month for a rare beer release, marking my second cross-state trip for beer (which isn't much considering I've been on BA for 5 years.)

I'll apply for KBBS and won't bat an eye at a 6hr one-way drive there either.

In town, I generally don't drive longer than 20 minutes.

Beer_Economicus and BigIronH like this.
  18. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,413) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

As long as I'm not pressed for time, whenever I travel out of state (45 min to WI border for instance) I utilize this as an opportunity to grab some beer. But to the point I would probly drive an hour one way to get fresh beer that I deeply desire.

ChicagoJ, BigIronH and FBarber like this.
  19. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (245) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

I'll make a weekend trip out of going to an awesome brewery, plus I like a long drive whenever a new Dan Carlin Hardcore History episode comes out. So over 4 hours is no problem with me!

20. ABrown08

ABrown08 Initiate (12) Nov 16, 2021 Indiana

I work at a liquor store in Northwest Indiana. It's a regular thing for us to have people come from three hours away to get Yuengling. And don't get me wrong, I really like Yuengling. But I don't know that I would drive three hours to get it. Well, maybe I would.

lucius10, Harrison8 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  21. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Meyvn (1,163) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I know of one store that sells singles of anything, its 30 minutes away. I have 4 Binnys less than than 20 minutes away. However, when traveling.......

Harrison8 likes this.
  22. Gkruszewski

Gkruszewski Poo-Bah (3,059) Nov 1, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

It certainly depends on how rare and much desire you have for the brew… I’ve made Road trips and probably drove hundreds of miles for some of the best beers.

eppie82 and ChicagoJ like this.
  23. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,585) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I'ld like to think I travel for the experience as much as for the beer.

24. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,969) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Good point. If it is a drive, just for the beer, then the distance/time is far less than if the drive is for the experience AND the beer.

Singlefinpin and readyski like this.
  25. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

On the way there I look forward to what I will find and on the way back look forward to enjoying what I found.

Singlefinpin likes this.
  26. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Poo-Bah (1,812) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I would drive any distance for craft beer if I had to.
    I put four hours.
    But day trips to a brewery I usually cap at two hours one way, so that's a four hour day of driving.
    I'd drive way longer for an overnight trip
    I never plan a long trip just for beer, but, not saying I wouldn't!

27. beer_beer

beer_beer Defender (676) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

I sold my car in spring, so sorry, zero kilometers :wink:

officerbill likes this.
  28. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (536) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Normally speaking, I don't drive more than 10 or 15 minutes out of my way. Between work, shuttling kids around, etc I don't have time. I also have two excellent grocery store/liquor store options, with all the craft beer, including some locals, I could want.

Now, if I'm traveling, I'm much more willing to to expand my route to go nearer to breweries. Maybe upward of an hour or two.

eppie82 likes this.
  29. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

So one episode, right:grin:

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  30. IPAExpert69

If I'm luckily I can finish one haha

officerbill likes this.
  31. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I know what you mean. It took a drive from NY to FL to listen straight through Supernova In The East.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  32. IPAExpert69

Then the long wait for the next installment begins, I'm hoping for a return to ancient history or the beginning of his Civil War series. Also I will plan a brewery trip around his next release!

officerbill likes this.
  33. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,576) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

5 hours unless I can make it a family vacation destination.

34. SSGCujo

SSGCujo Disciple (342) Jul 12, 2016 Wisconsin

35. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (937) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I just drove 5.25 hours one way, stayed for almost 3 hours, but only had about 7 ounces (because 4 ounces were 20%, and the rest were 15%), before driving 5.25 hours back home. Longer if you include the stops.

So, why? Well, I was fortunate enough to be quick enough to buy a limited package that I really wanted (part for myself, part for my sister, part for her friend), so that was a win. Someone local had picked up a prior order for me, so getting those beers from him saved me $40. I was supposed to swap some beers with someone else, but that didn’t work out. And lastly, and perhaps most critically, I got to try the rare beer I picked up AND a beer on my bucket list that I 100% will never get to try again. It’s one of those that people pay ridiculous (>$1k) amounts for.

So, all in all worth the cost of gas. Only thing that would have really made it better is that other meetup. Will spend 3-4 hours and $70 to pack and ship now. But, such is life I suppose. My stout buying is almost done till next autumn.

spersichilli and BigIronH like this.
  36. ABrown08

ABrown08 Initiate (12) Nov 16, 2021 Indiana

FBarber likes this.