Poll: How much beer do you drink in a week?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by October, Aug 5, 2015.

?

How many beers (12oz) do you drink in a week?

1. 1-6 (less than one per day)

203 vote(s)
    20.1%
  2. 7-14 (1-2 per day)

410 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. 15-21 (2-3 per day)

221 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. 22-28 (3-4 per day)

107 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. 29+ (more than 4 per day)

68 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (165) May 5, 2013 Illinois

Mon-thurs: 0 (unless soem special occassion)
    Friday: typically 2-3 after work and working out
    Saturday/Sunday: varies but usually 3-4 each day ..sometimes of course that could be 6-8 in a day.

Then of course i may not drink for a few weeks every 6-7 months..usually when training for something.

2. JimsBeer

JimsBeer Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2015 South Carolina

My wife says "Too much", i say "Just enough", does that count?

3. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (179) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

A little more than 14 a week. Always a session ipa with lunch before work. Then one or two DIPA after work at midnight. Usually one, but sometimes sucks just tastes so good and I drink it in like 2 seconds, and have to have another. Lol.

4. MUTINY

MUTINY Meyvn (1,118) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

Almost always 6-8 nightly.

5. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (137) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

About a dozen or so. Two limiting factors: my concern for my health and my wife's concern for my health.

michiganmatt likes this.
  6. Billolick

Billolick Poo-Bah (8,003) Dec 20, 2003 New York
    Society

currently trying to cut down...it was a very fun summer....

7. BSW

BSW Aspirant (256) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Trader

This is my schedule too. Except, of course, I don't work out and I've never trained for anything. And I don't think I've gone for a week without drinking anything since my last hospitalization.

8. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,266) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

It varies, but 1 or less on the week nights and 1-2 on the weekends.

9. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (292) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

10. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,171) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Probably one every other day. Frequency increases in the summer and decreases in the coldest winter months. I'm not too much into stouts and high ABV stuff so that makes sense.

11. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,086) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

On my days off :

One in the morning, two in the afternoon, three at night = 6 total.

On my days I work :

One in the morning or with lunch before work (light session ale), and 3 after work = 4 total.

I work 4 days and have 3 days off, so 16+18 = 34 beers a week. Damn, and I wonder how I'm not losing weight. :stuck_out_tongue: I have also realized that most nights I simply pass out, or...drift off...as it were, rather than shutting off the lights, TV, saying prayers, and tucking in. Damn it OP, you made me realize I have a problem. This thread is like a sly secret AA meeting, you sick bastard! :wink:

12. uglypirate

uglypirate Initiate (54) Nov 29, 2013 Tennessee
    Trader

I'm working on cutting down right now because I know it's dangerous. You have to acknowledge something to fix it, right?

michiganmatt and hoptheology like this.
  13. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (334) Jun 11, 2009 California

I try to follow the CDC recommendation (15 drinks per week for the average male). I downloaded the AlcoDroid app to get a feel for what a DIPA bomber actually is (like 3.5 drinks) and to track my consumption objectively, but after using that for about 6 months I can pretty much monitor in my head. I pretty much have a beer with dinner 3 out of 5 weeknights and save the rest for the weekend.

michiganmatt likes this.
  14. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (334) Jun 11, 2009 California

Agreed. Cutting back definitely increased my enjoyment of the beers I drink

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  15. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

I drink more craft beer every week than the average beer drinker :slight_smile:

16. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

For us craft beer junkies, I think the CDC readings are skewed because they use 5% (approximate) ABV for one beer. I really do not drink any beer below 7%, normally 9% or above. So one beer for me, equals about two beers for them. I'm screwed...

17. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (314) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

I don't touch beer until the weekend. I can't afford to drink more often. I find myself craving a beer with dinner by Wed./Thurs. and also find the first beer i drink more satisfying because I had to wait a week for it. I grab what i want out of the beer closet and throw it in the fridge where i have to see it everyday until d-day. Adds to the anticipation.

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  18. Gemmell

Gemmell Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2014 Illinois

Not nearly as much as I would like, and more than I probably should.

michiganmatt and Providence like this.
  19. Providence

Providence Crusader (706) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I often wonder how thoroughly people calculate the beers they are drinking. In other words, are they paying attention to abv and serving size when they add it up, or is everything just counted as one beer. I assume that when a beer is described in the health and medical community it is thought of as 12 oz. and 5% abv. As such, when I drink, I calculate everything accordingly. To do this, I multiply the serving size and abv of whatever beer I drink and then divide that number by 60 (which is the 12 x 5 you'd get if you multiplied the ounces and abv in the aforementioned "standard"). I've seen many other BAs discuss how they do similar calculations. I think it is very helpful when it comes to figuring out how much you've actually had to drink (which could make a big difference when deciding on driving and/or when monitoring calorie intake).

Here's an example: Last night I went out with a buddy and drank a pint (16 oz.) of Sam Adams Octoberfest, a pint of Left hand Milk Stout, a pint of Warsteiner Dunkel and a 12 oz. tulip of Grey Sail Captain's Daughter. When you multiply the ABVs and serving sizes of each of those beers and then add those totals together you get the following:

(4.9 x 16) + (5.3 x 16) + (6 x 16) + (8.5 x 12) = 361.2

So 361.2 is my total "score," as it were, for the evening. When you divide that by the "score" for one beer (which once again, is 60) you get:

361.2/60 = 6.02

So I drank six beers last night.

michiganmatt and Smidge like this.
  20. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

I´m also in the 7-14 category.

21. Mitch84

Mitch84 Initiate (0) May 9, 2013 Australia

I am in the upper :slight_smile:

22. Jlabs

Jlabs Poo-Bah (1,529) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

it really varies for me week to week...on my heavy drinking weeks..its 2xper day during the week and can be 10-12per day on the weekend..on lighter weeks its 1x every few days (or none during the week) and 3-4x on the weekends

Mitch84 likes this.
  23. Mitch84

Mitch84 Initiate (0) May 9, 2013 Australia

playoffs or final's, whatever sport you follow, it gives you that reason to gather and drink a lot of beer!

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  24. munsonptr

munsonptr Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2015 Massachusetts

While I'd like to fall in the 1-6 category for the sake of my wallet, liver and waistline, I tend to average in the 7-14 range.

25. fx20736

fx20736 Meyvn (1,012) Mar 7, 2009 New York

about 2 cases a week

26. Raj

Raj Disciple (317) Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Agree- Ive kept track of my drinking in terms of abv before. Even though I drink around 10 beers per week I would typically be above the 14 drinks (ie. 12 oz and 5% abv) recommend by the CDC.

27. NellysBandaid

NellysBandaid Initiate (171) Feb 22, 2015 Missouri

28. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (9,851) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

More since I started drinking more interesting beers, but in the past I've gone months without a drink.

29. Stephanievikara

Stephanievikara Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2015 Tennessee

I'm just now getting into good craft brews. Most nights between one or two. Occasionally none. But one or 2 nights a week when I don't have to be up early the next day I indulge a little. Or.... alot!

30. Bruinsfan87

Bruinsfan87 Disciple (311) Aug 25, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I usually have 1-2 a night. More often than not its only 1 12oz. on weekends i normally dont drink due to working until 12am lol. I'm at 4 days without a beer....

31. BSW

BSW Aspirant (256) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Trader

How much you got?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.