Poll: Music style preference w/ craft beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by F_Clamrod, Oct 29, 2017.

?

What type of music do you listen to?

1. Mostly Rock (Metal, Progressive, Blues, Alternative, Indie, etc.)

217 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. Mostly Country

10 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Mostly Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B

22 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Mostly Classical or Jazz

15 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Mostly Pop

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. A little of everything or Other

116 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. F_Clamrod

F_Clamrod Initiate (132) May 16, 2014 Texas
    Industry

Just wondering if there's any correlation between appreciation of craft beer and music style preference. Thanks in advance for your responses BA's!

2. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (296) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Well we’re all a bunch of white dudes so probably rock first, then country and hip hop in some order, then the rest.

#2 oldbean, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (847) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I listen 50/50 Country and Classic Rock.

4. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,218) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I think if you put metal as a choice apart from rock it would win hands down.

5. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,438) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

I listen to all types of music, but once a Metalhead...ALWAYS a Metalhead!

6. ICTguy21

ICTguy21 Aspirant (270) Jul 18, 2017 Kansas

Rock will win here because it's such a broad category. I usually listen to alternative/folk/indie rock but chose a little of everything because I can't stand metal.

Beer_Economicus and Phoodcritic like this.
  7. marquis

marquis Crusader (777) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

After 55 years of drinking beers, almost all from small local breweries , I still have not a clue what "craft beer is"
    What test do I apply if somebody plonks down a pint in front of me and I want to know if it is craft?
    I have had some superb beer from big brewers.They do not seem to lack craft.
    What I do appreciate is the craft of a cellarman who transforms the beer sent out from the brewery into pure ambrosia .

8. Hayden34

Hayden34 Devotee (402) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I voted "A little of everything" because I literally listen to almost anything. My Sunday ritual is to clean up my CHU (I'm in Afghanistan) and listen to music. It usually takes me an hour or two. My playlist this morning included: The Dirty Heads, Ini Kamoze, Black Sabbath, Clutch, Wu-tang, The Steeldrivers, Tupac, and finally Ramin Djawadi. Probably the only music genre I'm not really into is Pop music.

9. Shanex

Shanex Crusader (769) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

Despite my location, I am a country afficionado. Should have been born in Tejas...

Enjoy gentlemen and happy Sunday!

10. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (692) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Punk

Lots of other stuff

But not country unless it's vintage. Can't deal with that new stuff

Enjoy

11. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,711) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

I would be surprised if there was. My taste buds operate independent of such influences.

5thOhio, VABA, dcotom and 1 other person like this.
  12. thuey

thuey Aspirant (279) Nov 13, 2015 California

I will say that to @oldbean 's point, me and my wife are not White, but my wife particularly hates it when we go to a dive bar and all they play is metal. (I don't mind it so much.)

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  13. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (3,866) Aug 25, 2010 New York

So glad you set up a poll - been a few posts the past few weeks that coulda/shoulda been polls that I was starting to think the feature had been disabled - lol...

Metal for me BTW...
    \m/ :rage: \m/

JxExM, SFACRKnight, chris826 and 3 others like this.
  14. scream

scream Zealot (597) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

"classis" rock, folk, country, blues, jazz-I spend a lot of time on music websites downloading free live shows. Just checking my library I could listen 24 hrs a day and never hear the exact same track for 123+ days.

15. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (517) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

This poll would more interesting if metal/punk/industrial/hard rock were a separate category.

Coincidentally, I am going to a Gwar concert tonight and I am sure I will have a craft beer or two.

SFACRKnight, bret717, Urk1127 and 7 others like this.
  16. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (811) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

A listen to a pretty diverse selection, from Rock to hip-hop, metal, jazz, folk, country, reggae, punk... pretty much everything with the exception of what I call "girly pop" (no offense meant to any BA's or anyone else who likes that sort of music).

I would definitely say that Rock takes the majority of my listening time, though. I'm mostly into everything under the umbrella of "Classic Rock" but I do listen to a lot of blues, jazz, and some newer Rock stuff too (huge Foo Fighters fan here).

Troutbeerbum and russpowell like this.
  17. PorterPro125

I'm on the same page lol! I had around 10,000 songs on my old iPod until I decided to go with streaming a few years back. Spotify is pretty lovely but unfortunately has a download limit of 3,333 songs :grin:

18. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (1,891) Feb 24, 2008 New York

Classical and Jazz seem to be an odd pairing; IMO.

Judging from a sample of one, I don't think this is a single demographic. Maybe each is expected to be a tiny ratio of all respondents. Maybe I'm being a tad defensive here. Ok I'll just vote and be done with it. Put me down for Classical, and Jazz, if I must. The more I type, the more I think, "Stop typing!"

19. SLeffler27

Hmmm. I just noticed that I applied a different question to my reading of the OP's actual question. I replied to, "What music do you mostly listen to, when drinking craft beer." My response to this question is, Classical. However, to the OP's pole question, my general taste in music, is very eclectic, just about anything. Except, well not to put a blunt point on it, Jazz.:slight_smile:

Beer_Economicus and russpowell like this.
  20. scream

scream Zealot (597) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

37,721 tracks which does not include the ones that have not been tagged yet. Music gets played by 2 Squeezebox Touch units connected to stereo systems on the 1st floor and basement. Music files reside on a hard drive attached to my PC on the 2nd floor.

PorterPro125 likes this.
  21. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,262) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina

Strait heavy metal. Even if I didn't drink beer I would still listen to heavy metal

22. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,224) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey

I'm a little bit of everything. my Pandora "master channel" is a mix of my favorite stuff and it's fun to listen to

-classic rock: Zeppelin, Eagles, CSNY, Hendrix
    -pop/doo wop from the 50s/60s like Dion, etc
    -some rap like Tech N9ne, Eminem, Immortal Technique
    -modern rock like Foo Fighters
    -modern pop like Imagine Dragons
    -classical and movie themes like Star Wars Binary sunset (my Pandora classical channel is pretty sweet)

russpowell likes this.
  23. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,382) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

I think real County is called Americana these days.

24. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,382) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

I'm probably as much a music nerd as I am a beer nerd, so it's a little bit of everything for me. I've been on a Tropicalia/Brazilian kick lately. Next month it'll be something different, I'm sure. :slight_smile:

25. SammyJaxxxx

And why is Opera not a choice?
    How come now Show tunes choice?
    Nothing goes better with a big barrel aged stout than some soaring arias.
    Most Sondheim tunes go lovely with a crisp berliner

5thOhio, Gajo74, beertrip and 7 others like this.
  26. SLeffler27

I totally agree that some styles go better with certain music than others. Probably just the moods they evoke, but never the less, there is something to this observation.

27. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,059) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Classic rock - except when drinking BP Indra Kunindra, where Hindustani or Carnati seem more appropriate.

russpowell and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  28. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,185) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I was born in ‘76 so I do love me some 80’s music, but really my passions lie in the 90’s alt rock scene with the likes of Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins. I’m also an avid John Denver freak but that’s an outlier. At one time in my life I’ve listened to everything, I don’t mind Country music either.

29. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (374) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's funny how you form something of an impression of people online based only on their posts and then you find something out about them that totally throws that impression for a loop :slight_smile:

I've always wanted to check those guys out but have never quite got the chance. In a somewhat similar vein, I'm going to see Goblin tommorow night though!

I answered "other" because while I mostly listen to various forms of rock, I listen to a lot of ambient and electronic music as well. I've also been an on and off hardcore Phish fan over the past 30 years too. Judging from a lot of the screen names on this forum and beer names at various breweries, we seem to have pretty good representation in the beer world.

30. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Initiate (46) Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina

Bluegrass. And the Dead.

31. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (131) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

Gonna say, I know these people aren't lumping in grass with country hahaha

mikeinportc and russpowell like this.
  32. zid

zid Champion (846) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I had the same reaction to @Ranbot 's post. :slight_smile:

Ranbot and meefmoff like this.
  33. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Disciple (314) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

I go with mostly rock. I might be stuck in a rut. Rock & Roll is around 60 years old. I am in a rut. I enjoy Bob Seger,Bruce Springsteen,John Mellencamp,George Thorogood,Jackson Brown,The Rolling Stones,Lynnyrd Skynyrd ,The Eagles ,and Jackson Brown. When was the last rock & roll band formed? some are "blue collar rockers". You may ask" what does Seger know about making a thunderbird, Mellencamp has to be near a farm tractor,and Springsteen is a billionaire".From the Book "Rivethead" by Ben Hamper.
    Rock & Roll is 60 years old. How many rock and rollers with the name Bob can you name?

How about trying to match stand up comic styles to drinking beer.I like Rodney Dangerfield, Denis Leary, Lenny Clarke ( I saw him live when he was thin),Jay Leno,Tim Allen

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  34. MilkLeg

MilkLeg Initiate (137) Feb 8, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

This thread needs more Mutoid Man

bstoos, JxExM, Urk1127 and 2 others like this.
  35. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,059) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Steven Wright would pair with anything dry...

riptorn, tinoynk, mikeinportc and 9 others like this.
  36. zid

zid Champion (846) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Don't confuse craft beer appreciation and BeerAdvocate users though... even if they feel like one and the same. Maybe someone who is into "pop" and craft beer is less likely to post on BeerAdvocate than someone into metal and craft beer.

37. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Disciple (314) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

You are correct sir--

mikeinportc, russpowell and bbtkd like this.
  38. bsullivan

bsullivan Initiate (147) Aug 17, 2017 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I take the Newport folk festival definition of folk as my genre

39. PorterPro125

A few more tracks than myself haha!

40. SammyJaxxxx

Or Method Man