Poll: Split NBW into Old Beer Saturday and New Beer Sunday?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Beersnake1, Feb 28, 2022.

?

Should New Beer Weekend be split into Old Beer Saturday and New Beer Sunday?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. I don't care

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,856) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Given that the Cellaruary thread is about to end, I am curious if anyone has any thoughts about this. I know that it was mentioned briefly in the aforementioned thread, and @Todd mentioned that he would consider a weekly cellar thread if New Beer Weekend went back to New Beer Sunday. @FBarber was not a fan of this since we already have a yearly thread for cellar reviews, which I totally understand. Here are a few thoughts:

Pros to splitting: Fewer beers spending time in cellars, more engagement in the weekend threads (?), reviving the much-loved New Beer Sunday. This might also prevent people from saving beer until next February!

Cons to splitting: As noted, there is already a yearly thread dedicated to the topic. Fewer days to review NEW beers. Possibility of low number of posts each Saturday?

I can see the appeal of having an "out with the old and in with the new" theme each weekend, but I'm also not really advocating for it. I'm just curious what everyone thinks as it's always good to revisit how things are going. Thoughts?

Shanex, Prager62, sulldaddy and 6 others like this.
  2. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,140) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

I am not voting until @cavedave, @TongoRad and @JackHorzempa weigh in along with about 15-20 others. New Beer Sunday already has been sullied, and it was the thread that converted me to beer geekdom. This next step seems like a weird two steps forward/two steps back.

3. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (587) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I voted, although I really don't have a horse to back in this. I almost never drink older beers (at least intentionally), and have settled into drinking one two regular beers that I can rely on. I have never posted a new beer, and I did one "cellar" beer over the month.

4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,263) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I am against it. Keep NBW as is, or if you want to change it, go back to NBS. But the cellar/old beer thread should remain a year long thread with no pressure or time constraints. That thread also does not get the volume a New Beer thread gets so I suspect participation would be sparse.

5. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Makes a lot of sense. It seemed that the Cellaruary thread was pretty popular, with 25 pages over a month. However, that is likely to drop after the initial excitement so it might only end up at 1-2 pages per week. However, I wonder if the yearly thread doesn’t get as much traffic since one has to go looking for it. If it showed up on the welcome page, it might attract more participation.

#5 Beersnake1, Feb 28, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  6. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,825) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

QFT

I enjoy the ongoing Cellar Thread / Cellar Aging folder. The Cellaruary idea was a great one and future replications (February) would also be an event to look forward to.

In terms of New Beer Weekend vs. New Beer Sunday, (I see pros and cons for both) I will continue to enjoy participating in either version. I would like to see a thread created by Todd / BA to allow for an open discussion beforehand, if any changes are being contemplated.

I continue with the NBS numbering on my Sunday posts, not as a protest, but as an homage to the OG community discussion. Looking forward to the next 17 years of NBW/NBS!

7. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,808) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

To directly answer the question in the title of this thread: Fuck no!

The Celery Thread has been fun and great, and I'll keep posting in it as I drink down my stash (unless the thread gets locked), but there is no way in hell it should be tied to NBS/w.

Just to reiterate and be clear, Fuck No.

8. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

Haha - I think that’s quite clear!!

9. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I strive to be not ambivalent.

10. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

After thinking about it some more, I honestly think that keeping things how they are is best. If there was a way to increase the visibility of the year-long cellar thread, I think it would increase participation. Perhaps that particular thread could be moved to the same section as WTAYDN and NBW? I know it’s in the cellar area now, but perhaps we could open the discussion about a potential relocation? I talk to so many people who never knew it existed. @Todd ?

11. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I do not know this particular acronym.

Beersnake1, Resistance88 and Shanex like this.
  12. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,798) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Quoted For Truth.

13. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I don't understand, but I agree.

Oh wait. Uh,.....

14. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,099) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I voted no, but I considered not voting, since I only drink about 200 oz. beer a year. My reason may not be what you hope, it is purely that I love the cellar reviews thread that already exists, in the way it now exists, and I can't see messing that up. As for NBW, I'm okay with it being NBW, it doesn't seem to have hurt things to have changed it. Why mess with a positive result?

As to which way would bring more people to the site and offer more opportunity for the site to prosper? Well, I don't think anyone knows that.

15. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,082) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

#CellarSaturday doesn’t needs its own thread to be a thing. People can share their love of drinking cellared beers on a Saturday on WBAYDN (or, if the virtual bar is too low brow for them, then on NBW or Side By Side or Barleywine Appreciation or the regional forums or this “yearly cellar thread” mentioned above).

16. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,311) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I was against the change to NBW, but I'm over it. I enjoyed Cellaruary and am already looking forward to it next year. I say keep it as is, but let's move the cellar thread to Beer Talk so it hits the main page and gets more visibility. This may encourage more participation if you don't have to know it exists and go searching for it.

17. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,270) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It is my belief that New Beer Sunday was perfect and always thought that, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I lost a lot of interest when the entire weekend was the new reality. It's not really so bad now, but NBS was indeed a cool collection of contributors. New ideas should always be considered and properly weighed for total effect. One really never knows and things do always change, don't they?

18. Todd

Todd Founder (6,668) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

I voted no. I wasn't being too serious when I suggested it, as I plan on growing Cellaruary as an ongoing thing every February.

New Beer Weekend is doing just fine, and the goal of making it more inclusive has been achieved, but I'm not opposed to going back to New Beer Sunday if another idea for Saturday presents itself.

TongoRad, FBarber, Premo88 and 12 others like this.
  19. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,726) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

I voted no even though the Celery thing did get me to reduce the number of beers I have that I had to have that I might "get to one if these days". I have been cross-posting old beer on Saturday during February with NBW. I may continue to do this just because it has been fun for me, hopefully also for those who read the posts.

I think calling it out separately (and redundantly) on purpose would dilute NBW.

As long as I have been on the site I had no idea there was a cellar thread.

20. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,541) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

No.

Narrowing the window to participate in either drinking experience to a single day seems too restrictive. Personally, I like the wider time frames. The pace is easier and the drinking experience more relaxed and enjoyable.

21. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,338) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

No... and to quote another:

22. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,062) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I think it’s a good idea to revisit old beers but leave the NBW alone. Make a new thread for old beers. Not everyone likes to revisit so

23. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,298) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I just learned a few minutes ago that there was a year long cellar thread, so I'm not too sure how much value that provides to a broad base. A weeekly cellar thread seems like it would reach more people.

tasterschoice62 and Beersnake1 like this.
  24. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,082) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Do you think there would be enough participation for a new thread every week? Especially if it was limited to just 24 hours.

cavedave and Beersnake1 like this.
  25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,566) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My suggestion is go ahead and vote if you want to participate in the poll.

I personally will not be voting in this poll. In past threads I have posted several times with my thoughts about the "sullying" of NBS and I will leave it at that. I do miss the folks who in the past were NBS regulars and now no longer participate.

Cheers!

26. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,298) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Cellar Saturday sounds like a thing that could be promoted. Hell, it's even alliterative. And NBW doesn't hold the same allure to me as NBS. I used to read that thread and post there occasionally, but I can't even remember the last time I clicked on it.

Rug, Beersnake1 and tasterschoice62 like this.
  27. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,499) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I voted no.
    Love Cellaruary and will certainly have more beers next year.

But I also have actively been using the Annual Cellar Reviews thread and trying to cross promote a bit. It seems there is some pent up old beer drinking in a lot of folks homes (Im looking at @SABERG and @Herbabee in particular!)

Maybe some more awareness of the Annual Cellar thread will add some action there and keep folks tuned into cellar experimentation untill the next Annual blowout in February 2023?

My cellar shelves are certainly happier holding fewer oz of beer after the past few weeks of consumption!! :slight_smile:

28. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,593) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Voted No.
    Really miss the NBS but have learned to go with the flow.
    Old (and fun) habits are hard to break so almost all my NBW posts are on Sunday and are designated as such.

FBarber, SABERG, Roguer and 5 others like this.
  29. Herbabee

Herbabee Initiate (167) Jul 30, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Trader

@sulldaddy - To be sure, i was dressing to impress for the grand occasion of 'Cellar-uary'... and for reasons logistical as well (like, what am i actually doing with all these cartons of gestating brews? i ain't gettin' any younger, nor are the contents - same with my liver). It was a fun incentivizer for sure; i never really got involved with any show-n-tell in the forums here before, this exercise may well change all that now. Looks like i got me a little festy paunch now too as a souvenir, ugh.

But dag, YOU were the one bringing out some seriously ancient vessels that were such a delight to the eyes! (i didn't really start getting to epicurean and storable ales until about 2017 or so? - the self-discovery did disembark me off the vino boat for sure.)

SABERG, Urk1127, sulldaddy and 2 others like this.
  30. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,097) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

I voted no, because these are different animals.

NBW/NBS is its own thing. There's no need to make room for Old Beer Saturday, or a recurring monthly cellar thread. We don't turn off WBAYDN? on weekends; WBAYDN? and NBW coexist harmoniously.

So I think it's a false premise: that NBW needs to yield space for a cellar/old beer thread. If we want to make a cellar thread more of a recurring thing, that should be argued on its own merits, and I'm not against it.

31. Beersnake1

Moderator Society Trader

I agree! I only mentioned the link based on Todd’s comment about being open to it IF NBW became NBS again. Based on the feedback, I think this idea is dead anyway.

Roguer and Todd like this.
  32. Todd

Todd Founder (6,668) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Agreed. Let's put this one to bed.

Rug, FBarber, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.