Poll: When should you use a Teku Glasses?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tkdchampxi, Aug 6, 2014.

?

When do you/ should you use a Teku glass?

1. Always. It makes every beer taste and/or smell better.

15.4%
  2. Sometimes. Depends on the style of beer, but [insert style] definitely tastes best in a Teku.

41.7%
  3. Never. The glasses look great, but they are never the best choice for improving flavor or aroma.

12.7%
  4. Always. Who cares about taste? THESE THINGS LOOK AWESOME.

10.9%
  5. Teku glass? I've never used a Teku glass. Where can I get me one of those?

19.3%
  1. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,041) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

So, I was pretty excited about my getting my first Teku glass, and now I have two. But over time, I've found that the teku glass is never the best glass to be using. Don't get me wrong - they look really cool! However, depending on the style, I find that there's always a better glass to use - whether its the tulip, goblet, spiegelau, snifter, etc. I think Teku glasses are best suited to lighter, subtler beers, like sours, but even then, I prefer using a wine glass.

In your opinion: Are there actually any advantages to using a Teku glass? Is there a style of beer that is actually BEST in a Teku glass as compared to all other glasses?

2. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Savant (934) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'm always scared to knock it over, so I never use one.

(I'm incredibly clumsy)

3. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (457) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Use it for any style you think benefits from being served in overpriced glassware.

Lazhal, DaverCS, gshak and 40 others like this.
  4. thomda11

thomda11 Aspirant (272) Jun 5, 2014 California

I was going to vote "never", but the elaborated description says "the glasses look great." I think they're ugly.

Lone_Freighter, smi69, ceeg and 19 others like this.
  5. rather

rather Aspirant (260) May 31, 2013 California

I prefer snifters or my duvel tulip but I'm sour because I saw lost abbey teku glasses for 6$ but was riding my bike so didn't purchase it that day and I drove by a couple days later and all 6 were sold out :slight_frown:

6. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

The benefit to Teku glasses is that you can hold it by the stem, which prevents it from warming up as quickly as grasping the bulb (tulip, snifter). Yes, more aromas shine at higher temps, but if you serve your beer at proper temp there is no reason to warm it up any more. Cheers! :slight_smile:

eifster82, havron, hophugger and 4 others like this.
  7. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (1,579) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Always duh

8. KendallKid

KendallKid Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2014 New York

I love how thay look and have a few
    Just so damn fragile feeling !!

hophugger likes this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,177) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Always use it to give to someone else, never use it yourself.

10. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I don't find that it has any particular advantages over a tulip. I can use a tulip for almost any style, at any time. I have my favorites for certain styles, but I can always fall back on a tulip.

The Teku seems to be a fine glass for big DIPAs, but I haven't tried it for much else.

havron, Zaphog, desint and 4 others like this.
  11. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (1,944) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

It's the one style of glass I'll never own.

gshak, smi69, lwhcchh and 11 others like this.
  12. Scrapss

Scrapss Defender (603) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

I am cursed with a deadly combination of a set uncoordinated meat paws and lack of glassware presence sensitivity. Fragile glassware does NOT last long in my hands.

So Teku, while you look awesome, you would die a horrible death that many pieces of stemware have experienced already.

13. pecokid

pecokid Disciple (344) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

I never knew this style of glass had a name before this post. I had seen Lost Abbey sells a glass like this but I refuse to buy it. (Again, Mr. Tomme Arthur, I will never forget the flat Angel’s Share). I think Troegs has one so maybe I will get one.

My go to for good beer is my Spiegelau Stemmed Pilsner Glass. But it needs hand washing and sometimes I am lazy.

DIM and cavedave like this.
  14. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Devotee (497) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

when you want to impress the ladies

gshak, Number1Framer, DaverCS and 7 others like this.
  15. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,626) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

How does one use a glasses? The purpose of the stem on any stemware is to keep your body temp from warming the beverage up. And, since a Teku is just an angular Tulip, I'll stay with the more curvy and attractive Tulip.

16. raulstotle12

raulstotle12 Aspirant (218) Feb 19, 2014 California

I Wish I had a teku glass!

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  17. WVbeergeek

WVbeergeek Poo-Bah (4,687) Sep 24, 2002 West Virginia

pecokid let it die "I never knew this style of glass had a name before this post. I had seen Lost Abbey sells a glass like this but I refuse to buy it. (Again, Mr. Tomme Arthur, I will never forget the flat Angel’s Share)."

I had Angel's Share and Deliverance this year, no carbonation problems they evidently fixed the issues back when the became known as "Flat Abbey".

Jaysus likes this.
  18. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

I am not sure that I agree that there is "always" a better glass to use. Depending on the beer, if a tulip, goblet or snifter is better it is only negligibly better. I don't feel that anything is lost when using the glass.

You should use a Teku anytime you damn well please, but this was not an option in the poll. Despite popular belief, there are no actual glassware rules, only guidelines and suggestions. I really like the glasses, do not use them regularly, but if I really want to use the glass my choice in beer will not prevent me.

19. imamutant

imamutant Initiate (46) Apr 6, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I just moved and don't have room to unpack all my glasses where I am so I use my Teku all the time. At first I thought they were ugly but they started to grow on me and I splurged on a FFF one. If I'm sampling/sharing something with my girlfriend, then we'll use Prairie wine tasters (or their mini tekus occasionally). The tekus work for everything I drink.

20. Modernrickk

Modernrickk Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Came here to BASH the Spiagleu speglue spieglue spahgloo or how ever you freaken spell it .. That ipa glass is such an ugly piece of glassware. I don't have a teku or a Spiegelau IPA glass .. Probably never will.

I do like how thin they are and I always though the thinner the glass the better, but dang they look foolish. Id rather have a standard tumbler

21. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (582) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

When I want to look real fancy...so, never.

frothy_80, 2beerdogs and cavedave like this.
  22. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (2,663) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

If I squint at the wine glass I'm using, it faintly looks like a teku glass from a distance, so never for me :stuck_out_tongue:

23. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,177) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

This is what I have come to think is perfect for any beer.
    [​IMG]

JimKal, gshak, JohnnyHopps and 25 others like this.
  24. Valleyview06

Valleyview06 Disciple (307) Oct 13, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I am not a big fan of the style, but I had to buy this.

[​IMG]

25. riverlen

riverlen Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

The best glass is the kind you can (a) put an entire beer with proper amount of foam in, and, (b) fits in the dishwasher when you are done. And that is usually the sturdy pint glass. And if you're not drinking beer (yeah right...) it will hold an entire can of soda with ice. What more can a man hope for?

jvgoor3786 and AWA like this.
  26. pecokid

someday, maybe when they wow me with an exorbanat amount of free GREAT beer. peace be with you... because it is not with me.

27. BeRightBock

BeRightBock Initiate (173) Apr 27, 2007 New York

I'm christening my brand new Teku glass with my first ever Westbrook Gose as we speak.

I'm a happy guy!

(Although my wife, who I insisted try a sip, described it as " puke, disgusting, it taste like the last little bit of throw-up, bile!")

I hear gargling in the distance....

Well. Hmph. More for moi.

HermitDan, Rosinante and dcotom like this.
  28. pecokid

I dispise the Spiagleu IPA glass as well but I have all good things to say about the "stemmed pilsner glass".

emount91 and Modernrickk like this.
  29. VelvetExtract

VelvetExtract Poo-Bah (3,160) Jan 10, 2010 Massachusetts

I have found this glass to be very versatile. I like pouring a beer up to the glass' widest point (about an inch high), swirling then sniffing. Then I'll fill her up. The stem adds sexiness, too.

rogerdandy likes this.
  30. briang01

briang01 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2009 Maryland

Whenever you don't want to be scolded by the collective internet....

I don't own one yet (please don't cut my brake lines)

31. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (185) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

Add me to the "thinks they look ridiculous and are probably vastly overpriced since they're the cool new thing" camp.

32. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,381) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I like IIPA's and Sour styles in the teku.

2beerdogs, rogerdandy and StArnoldFan like this.
  33. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (618) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Tekus are nice but in my experience not very sturdy. The spot where the stem is fused to the bowl is generally week and breaks easily. I guess 1 piece extruded glass would fix this but be awfully expensive

34. Nick_isthatstillcool

Nick_isthatstillcool Disciple (351) Apr 28, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

If you have one use it at home anytime you have a beer that you actually give a sh!t about, don't bring it out in public unless amongst friends, it's not that serious.

35. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,928) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I already have enough wine glasses in the house to suffice this glassware style. If there is a particular beer that people claim would be better served out of the Teku glass, then one of the 20+ various shapes /sizes of wine glasses that are already collecting dust in my cubbord shelf should be a pretty comparable replacement I would think. If I didn't have so many wine glasses, then sure, I'd buy one I guess.

TrojanRB, beertunes and Greywulfken like this.
  36. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,126) Mar 1, 2009 California

I can't stand how they look. Never use them or own one.

37. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (478) May 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I like the look of them but don't own any currently. I get a lot of use out of my snifters, tulips and glass steins so I haven't opted in just yet.

38. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,408) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I've got two, one 3F, one Haw River. I rarely use them, but every now and then I'll pour a Kbs or BC into one. I'm good for busting up stuff and these are a bit fragile for everyday use, same with my crystal Kbs glass. I like the way they look. My next glass I want is a Thistle glass, I don't drink much Scotch Ae, but I assume Most any dark stout would be fine.

dcotom likes this.
  39. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (381) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sometimes, when I'm feeling fancy.

40. Fargrow

Fargrow Zealot (573) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I love the Teku look. I use mine - always for wild ales, sometimes for other pale beers, and never for stouts.

ebin6 and Gemini6 like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.