Poll: Who do you prefer to use for shipping?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by eppie82, Dec 17, 2018.

?

What shipping company do you prefer?

1. UPS

25 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. FedEx

80 vote(s)
    59.3%
  3. USPS

29 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. Other?

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. EricRub

EricRub Initiate (45) Dec 16, 2018 Texas
    Trader

While we are on the subject of shipping lol.....what is the best way to ship a beer bottle? Is there sonething besides bublewrap to put around it or something to put the bottle into and then into the shipping box?

2. Jinx989

Jinx989 Devotee (426) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Ive shipped roughly 135 or so boxes all over the country and have used FedEx for all except 2 or 3, used UPS on those at the other traders request.Ive only had 3 issues with broken bottles all with FedEx. 1 didn't leak and it was a small extra anyway so no biggie. 2nd was also an extra and leaked a little but they still delivered it, I sent the guy another bottle of the same, it just seemed like the right thing to do. The 3rd time a bottle broke and it leaked all over the place (yes I used ziplock bags and the glass cut the bag) FedEx returned the unbroken contents to me in a brand new box in brand new bubble wrap, hell they even wiped off the good bottles so they weren't sticky and not a peep or anything. I re-packed that box, replaced the broken bottle and no problem after that.

3. sjguglielmo

sjguglielmo Initiate (51) Aug 26, 2009 Minnesota
    Trader

I put each bottle in its own gallon-sized Ziploc bag, then give it a healthy dose of bubble wrap...basically ensuring 2-3 layers of bubble wrap around the entirety of the bottle. If the bottle is non-waxed, I wrap some electrical tape around the cap before bagging and wrapping (there are divergent opinions about the merits of doing this...here's a whole thread about it). Pack your bottles upright in your box if possible (less sloshing), then fill any open spaces with additional bubble wrap or paper to ensure that things don't move around much in transit. If I'm sending an especially heavy box or valuable bottles, I'll often add another layer of cardboard inside each wall of the box to make it extra sturdy.

4. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,122) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I tend to go overboard on packing, especially if it involves valuable/irreplaceable bottles. With those kind of bottles what I tend to do is wrap the bottles(s) a few times over with bubble wrap, place that in a smaller box and then place that box inside the bigger box which has more bubble wrap, packing peanuts etc. The bigger box is also lined on the inside with a heavy duty black bag to prevent any leaks.

Jinx989 and sjguglielmo like this.
  5. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (413) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

While we're on the subject of extra box protection, the most profesh addition of security for a box I have ever seen was 1/4 in. plexiglass cut to the size of each wall of the box and then spray glued onto the inside. A small amount of glue could also be used on each corner to make it a bit stronger. This is obviously pretty involved but if shipping a large and valuable/irreplaceable trade it, combined with sensible padding on the contents, makes the box fairly bullet proof (obviously not literally)

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  6. Mikeeo23

Mikeeo23 Initiate (145) Jun 12, 2018 California
    Premium Trader

USPS Priority all day, every time. Over 100 beer and beer glass trades. Never a lost or damaged box. But I over pack like a pro. And I can print label at home

Honestly only 2 shipments have been delayed 2-3 extra days, but always delivered in tact.

USPS for the win by a long shot.

Big_Steve23, Rustytacos and stevepat like this.
  7. Big_Steve23

Big_Steve23 Initiate (58) Mar 5, 2014 California
    Trader

I have sent over 100 beer packages in the past 2 months via USPS Flat rate. Boxes are provided at no charge and received pretty quickly. Not a single broken bottle (knock on wood). The only knock on USPS is their international shipping and customs, don’t do it because it’s not worth it. They will open your package and seize your items for sure.

8. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,132) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

I've received multiple boxes from the USA sent to me via USPS to Germany and there were never any problems with them. Considering the insane international shipping costs of UPS/FedEx, which are easily three times as high as USPS, they really are your only halfway reasonably priced option for international shipping anyway.

Big_Steve23 likes this.
  9. Big_Steve23

Big_Steve23 Initiate (58) Mar 5, 2014 California
    Trader

I have had very bad experiences with customs via USPS. A couple snuck through but a few got sent back or confiscated lol.

10. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Devotee (495) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Trader

Hmm. I’ve had the opposite experience. Only times I’ve sent to other countries, I have used flat rate boxes with no problems.

11. Franfab

Franfab Initiate (77) Apr 3, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

A lot depends on where I'm shipping but being in the Midwest has it's perks -

Fedex - if in the area because I can drop at Office Max and not have to worry about any questions. Bordering states usually receive next day shipping.

USPS - if going out of the Midwest as the 2 day shipping really makes a difference when hitting the coasts.

As mentioned above, over packing the boxes helps.

12. Benish

Benish Savant (986) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Lately I have prefer USPS as they get the boxes out 2-3 days flat. Problem with USPS is its considered "illegal." I have an annoyance with FedEx as they lost a package (not beer related) and I'm hesitant to rely on them again. Especially when they never rectified the situation.

TurkeysDrinkBeer likes this.
  13. stevepat

stevepat Devotee (413) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Ive gotta plug USPS flat rate. Sent a box on thurs 11/27 from the rural west coast to michigan. It was dropped off in the afternoon. It arrived unscathed on sat 11/29. That is hard to beat for 20$ and right before nye to boot.

14. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (262) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I used to prefer FedEx but I have had 2 lost / destroyed shipments in the past year...

15. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (167) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

I've shipped both FedEx and USPS haven't tried UPS yet but have gotten some to me from UPS. Use Fedex mostly USPS when small or going across country haven't had a problem yet, fingers crossed.