Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Poorly Rated Beers That You Actually Liked

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcrago, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukwonee

sukwonee Dec 13, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

BA wake up dead.

2. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 May 18, 2011 Illinois

Lagunitas IPA. IPA fest at Tribes Mokena a couple years back, this tasted good as hell on-tap there.

3. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 May 2, 2010 Ohio

Stone Belgo Anise. I get a lot of people hated it but if I would have stumbled on it earlier I would have at least 4-5 in the cellar now.

4. FlakyBiscuit

FlakyBiscuit Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

Stevens Point Whole hog 6 hop IPA. Very malty for an IPA but unique in flavor with some toffee and caramel notes. I enjoyed it but only scored 79 overall.

5. ufmj

ufmj Feb 15, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

6. lucasj82

lucasj82 Aug 13, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Dundee Pale Bock Ale.

7. IndyDad

IndyDad Jan 21, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Ah, the demise of Mahar's is very sad to us all. I'll go with Anchor Bock, at a lowly 68, but it was pretty good...

8. AlexFields

AlexFields Dec 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Ghost Face Killah

ediaz and Cubatobaco like this.
  9. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Huh? It is rated an 87. Hardly a poor rating.

10. kemoarps

kemoarps Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

apparently I enjoyed Tsingtao considerably more than most on this site. Although, to be fair, that was my very first ever review, and I was hungover and in the Netherlands at the time. Haven't tried it since, but have a sneaking suspicion it would not rate NEARLY as highly if I re-reviewed...

11. atoulouk

atoulouk Apr 25, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Hell or High Watermelon

12. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Jan 10, 2013 Wyoming

Avery's White Rascal (BA - 83...Bros - 77)

I really genuinely love this beer. I think it might be a guilty pleasure. When I visited Avery's, I was honestly most excited about having a pint of this on tap even with all the other delicious things there. I've definitely had better beer, even much better witbiers, but White Rascal is just easily available, not too complicated, crisp, and delicious.

Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  13. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Aug 23, 2012 New York

14. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Mar 10, 2008 Ohio

Quite a few offerings from Magic Hat. They are far from a brewery I love, but they get a ton of flack here and I've had much worse stuff from higher regarded breweries. I also have a bit of a soft spot for MH since they were the brewery that converted me to craft.

judkinst likes this.
  15. Brew33

Brew33 Oct 24, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Blue Moon

It's a very solid Witbier.

darky likes this.
  16. AugiePrimrose

AugiePrimrose Nov 19, 2009 Illinois

Point Cascade Pale Ale out of Stevens Point, WI. With a 79 rating on here, I'm definitely in the minority in thinking this beer is really good.

17. Danny1217

Danny1217 Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Guiness, Murphy's, and Boddington's. Light in flavor, but enjoyable on occassion

Dan114 likes this.
  18. Celtics76

Celtics76 Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Blue Moon Winter Abbey..71 (56 from the Bros). I think it's rated low because it has the Blue Moon name.

19. NoLeafClover44

NoLeafClover44 Feb 24, 2011 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Cisco Bailey's Blonde Ale. I really enjoy this hoppy, higher ABV adaptation on a typically unexciting style. It is a great summertime brew.

20. Siggy125

Siggy125 Nov 10, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

Hoppin Frog Frosted Frog. I know it's 83 and not below your 80 threshold. But the poorest rated beer I love.

21. SenorHops

SenorHops Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

I think Bud Light is incredibly underrated!;)

22. mscott1975

mscott1975 Feb 19, 2011 Pennsylvania

Winterhook by Redhook is rated 81, so not quite below the bench mark. But it's a beer I look forward to every year.

23. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Dec 1, 2009 Mexico
    Beer Trader

I came to say exactly this. WOW this is a great beer. I had this last weekend. I did not think much of the brewery and would not have bought it, but a sales guy really recommended it. I almost bought expecting it not to be good. It was also very reasonably priced. Next time I visit the store I will try to stock up on it.

24. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Oct 16, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Kronenbourg 1664- would have to be one that I like, for an adjunct type lager. Its rated poorly and I cant blame people for thier comparisons to Stella and Heineken, But its something I drink a lot if there are no local offerings.
    Left Hand Milk stout Nitro needs to be rated Higher... IMO

brewsader likes this.
  25. socon67

socon67 Jun 18, 2010 New York

This is one of the beers I would pick too. I drank this and Dixie Blackened Voodoo plenty of times in New Orelans when I wanted a changeup from hurricanes.

26. airforbes1

airforbes1 Oct 27, 2010 California

There were several people bashing Pork Slap in a recent thread, which surprised me because I think it's a good, simple pale ale. Horses for courses!

dar482 likes this.
  27. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Ghost Face Killlah

28. aasher

aasher Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Del Ducato L'Ultima Luna. It's a Calvados barrel aged Barleywine and like drinking caramel drizzled apples. I think it gets bad reviews because it is almost still. I can understand why that would turn people off.

29. langchops

langchops Dec 6, 2012 Illinois

Victory's Golden Monkey Bros-77 where's the love for the Monkey?

30. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Oct 16, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Agreed, dont drink it from the can though, it could ruin it for ya....

Brew33 likes this.
  31. SadMachine

SadMachine Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

If we're going with a score of 80 or less as the OP implied then I'd have to go w/ Yuengling. It's just a solid lager that is my go to when I'm out at bars that don't carry craft beer. If we're setting the bar slightly higher I'd go w/ Grimbergen Dubbel. Granted I may just rate it a bit high because it was probably the beer that had the biggest impact on me as far as getting me into craft beer, but I just really think it's an excellent beer! Now w/ hads being factored in it's up to an 85, but was only an 83 before that...

edit: also, what's up with the hate for Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot?! I find it exceptionally strange because Insanity is their highest rated beer, and that's just the BA version. Granted it is better after the barrel aging, but it's not THAT MUCH better (a full 10 points!)!!

32. Rohkey

Rohkey Jan 13, 2013 Michigan

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest and Summer Shandy. They are the two main beers that got me into craft beer, and I can still enjoy them (even though, now, I can recognize they are fairly poor quality when compared to what I've been more recently exposed to). Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter is also pretty delicious, I drink a couple a week as a very solid beer for the price.

Edit: Blue Moon as well. It's often what I end up having to settle for when going to certain bars/events/chain restaurants that only have typical macrobrews.

baldy2006 likes this.
  33. Mikecap

Mikecap May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Sam Adams Imperial White
    Carib Lager...only a 66 by BA community? It goes down quite smoothly on a Caribbean beach

34. walterfredo

walterfredo Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Mad River Stealhead Extra Pale Ale.

35. bunni

bunni Feb 3, 2011 Texas

I'll claim nostalgia on this one too--Indio! I don't even know that this has been in the states that long, but you can't beat grandma's homemade chile con carne with a bottle of this stuff to wash it down.

36. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Dos Equis Amber....forgive me

Falcone likes this.
  37. bleakies

bleakies Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Mayflower Autumn Wheat, a seasonal dark wheat ale that has far fewer fans than I'd expect. If I made a habit of checking the ratings here or elsewhere before making a purchase on something I haven't tried, I'd likely have missed out on this one altogether.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16105/61138

I believe, however, that its score has improved since last time I saw it; I think it was 75 or thereabouts.

38. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A couple immediately came to mind.
    Del Norte (R.I.P. now) Luminaria Bock would definitely be one. Most people full-on hated it, but I thought it was pretty tasty.
    I never minded S.A. Cranberry Lambic. Yes, the name is stupid, but I don't think it's that bad.
    While at 78 it's considered to be okay, I full-on love Santa Fe's Nut Brown Ale.

A few others that people have trashed would be macro lagers from random countries like India and Brazil. While many truly are pretty bad, there are some that really aren't. I've had a couple that when fresh are a pretty big leap over our US macros and might even be confused with something like Full Sail Session or at the very least Stella Artois.

39. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Jan 15, 2010 Ohio

dar482 and Providence like this.
  40. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Jan 15, 2010 Ohio

Another is my summer treat of Warsteiner Verum 12oz cans,will pick up 2-3 cs at $16 case,only a 78 on BA.Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe