Popularity contest - what craft beers do non-BA's ask you if you've tried?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,872) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Maybe its regional since both of these are MD brewers, but it seems that I mostly am asked from the non-beer advocate community (knowing that I'm into craft beer or we start discussing craft beers) whether I've tried DuClaw's Sweet Baby Jesus or Flying Dog's Dead Rise. Neither of these are world class offerings by any means, but for some reason most non-BA's or not even beer drinkers seem to know about these 2 beers and wonder if I've tried them. What other craft beers seem to be well known by the general populous that you frequently get asked about?

2. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Can't say that's ever a question that comes up. But by sheer coincidence, all of my friends are either beer geeks or don't drink at all.

I'd speculate that Sweet Baby Jesus comes up because of the name and style - it stands out for both of those things alone, so even a casual observer is likely to be aware of or curious about it. Never even heard of Dead Rise.

tkdchampxi likes this.
  3. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Champion (889) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Drinking a dark beer around non beer drinking friends inevitably leads to someone asking "Is that a Guinness?"

4. ipamonster

ipamonster Initiate (91) Jun 18, 2013 Rhode Island

Killians Irish Red

JG-90, Uniobrew31, Roguer and 4 others like this.
  5. MrIncognito

MrIncognito Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Virginia

Anything from Leinenkugel, especially during the summer. Or Fat Tire. Everyone that finds out I'm into craft beer says "Oh yeah? Have you had Fat Tire?" Not a huge fan of that particular beer myself.
    Canada Dan, regarding Guinness I always here people say "I can't drink that... it's so heavy it's like a meal in a glass"

6. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,428) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

I always have to stifle a Condescending Wonka smile when someone asks me if I've tried Blue Moon.

Not because I think it's a bad beer--actually, I like it pretty well--but because I can't get past the amusement factor of being asked if I've tried something that I first had about 15 years ago. I guess my beard isn't "crafty" enough.

Fat Tire is another good one.

kjkinsey, rogerdandy, JG-90 and 10 others like this.
  7. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,184) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

"Dogfish Head_______ "

8. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,620) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I like this thread! I told a Woman today who walked into Max's and asked if they had "Spotted Cow" on tap? I looked and told her politely... "No. New Glarus doesn't distribute to Baltimore". That was the first time I've heard a New Glarus question in my neck of the woods. Well, I'm assured she clearly wasn't an Advocate of Beer.

9. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,872) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Dead Rise is the FD lager where the dumped a bunch of Old Bay seasoning into it. Has a crab on the label. Some of the proceeds go to saving the bay or something like that.

AdmiralOzone likes this.
  10. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,620) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Not enough Old Bay IMO. The beer is meh. I think I support McCormick enough already other than buying that beer.

busternuggz and jcos like this.
  11. BigCheese

BigCheese Defender (673) Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

The company I work for has an office in Waterbury Vermont. For a company where many people are not beer nerds nor craft aficionados there sure is a lot of discussions revolving around heady topper.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  12. gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy Initiate (128) Jun 1, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Landshark, Fat Tire, Shocktop _____, Chimay, Redd's Apple Ale (not kidding), Sam Adams _____.

Shagator likes this.
  13. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Champion (814) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

The first time I went beer shopping in Maryland, my brother-in-law asked me what I got. I told him it was something from New Belgium, since I can't get it in NY (it was La Folie). He said, "oh, like Fat Tire?" Sure enough, the next time I was there, a sixer of Fat Tire was in the fridge. I think I maybe had one of them...

My wife's grandmother likes to stock beer in her fridge by the pool for when we visit, and she doesn't know the first thing about beer. I told her she can go to the store at the Quarry and buy any beer there. So one time I'm there and I look in the fridge, and pull out a couple of cans of Old Chub. I poured one into a plastic cup, and she said "I didn't know beer looked like that." Next one I took out was a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. She said "now that's what I thought beer looked like!"

14. jcos

jcos Devotee (489) Nov 23, 2009 Maryland
    Society

Definitely. The chicken wings I make with old bay have WAY more :slight_smile:

Oh and Dead Rise has been a huge seller for FD. I know it's not a "BA" type of beer, but it is keeping FD financially healthy to do other things.

#14 jcos, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  15. CreamandCrimson

CreamandCrimson Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2012 Illinois

Lagunitas...now that they're in Chicago

16. twowheelssoar

twowheelssoar Aspirant (243) Jul 28, 2009 North Carolina
    Trader

You, sir, have some great family members.

NCMonte, JG-90, wonothesane42 and 3 others like this.
  17. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (531) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

I get Heady Topper constantly. Everyone in New England seems to have had it and feels like they're the only ones that ever have. I get the, "I don't really even like craft beer, but I LOVE Heady Topper" kinda garbage.

MrDave and breadwinner like this.
  18. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,052) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

SHOCK TOP!

I once explained to a non-BA that I was really into Belgian beers (at that moment in time), and he replied, "Oh yeah! Me, too! Have you ever tried Shock Top Belgian White?"

SteveB3014, klittle250 and boehmer7 like this.
  19. brewskifan55

brewskifan55 Poo-Bah (1,826) May 17, 2011 Mississippi
    Society

One of the sales ladies down the hall just asked me if I'd heard of some new Shock Top peach thingamajig. No, but I'm familiar with the Shock Top pretzel thingie. It was her birthday and she was drinking Corona tonight. Yes, I'm familiar with that one.

gardenstatepkwy likes this.
  20. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

Diamond Bear. Yuck.

Dirty25, klittle250 and dsl72701 like this.
  21. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

In Minnesota it's always 'oh, you like fancy beer - have you had that um, Surly's?' They always give it the possessive apostrophe 'S', even the knowledgable guys I work with. They just think that's what it's called.

22. Mild_Bill

Mild_Bill Initiate (116) Jun 12, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Gumballhead... Duval... Anti-Hero... Blue Moon...

23. ironchefkook

ironchefkook Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 California

Pliny the Elder. Get asked at least.. twice a week at work (pub).

24. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Devotee (415) Jul 31, 2010 California
    Trader

Dogfish 90. Picked up a case of Lagunitas IPA from Costco recently. The checker looks at the case, says "Hmm, this is new. Never seen this" The guy helping him then says "yeah, never seen this. I love IPA. Have you ever tried DogfishHead 90?"

#24 Skunkdrool, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    MrDave likes this.
  25. Seiler22

Seiler22 Initiate (138) Apr 30, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Anything Summit, Shock Top, Sam Adams, and I 2nd on the Surly comment above

26. TWStandley

TWStandley Crusader (759) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

People who are "really into beer" around here are Magic Hat drinkers.

27. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

"Have you ever had Pliny the Younger? A friend just brought some bottles back from there, so good!"

28. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

"oh, craft beer? like blue moon?" yes that did happen, but usually magic hat or goose island, occasionally it will be brooklyn or sam adams

29. MrDave

MrDave Disciple (385) Jan 23, 2013 California
    Trader

"Lagunitas Optimus"​

"Ummm, do you mean HOPtimum? Sierra Neveada?"

"No, I think it's called Optimus. Definitely Lagunitas."

"I don't know what you are talking about"​
    "..."

"...maybe you meant Maxi-"
    "MAXIMUS, that's it! Have you had it?"

"Yes. It's pretty good."
    "Sure is."

Believe it or not, this is one of the better conversations I have had with this coworker.

Donkster46, Roguer, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  30. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,321) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Yeah, the most consistent one is DFH 90. One time when I was at a bar this guy asked the bartender if he'd had KBS. He was like "Screw Budweiser, that one's the king of beers right there!"

bhudlow23 and KendallKid like this.
  31. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Zealot (538) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

Had my first Three Floyds beer around 99 I think?(Gumballhead in a bomber) Last time I was In the liquor store I saw a couple with a 6 pack of Bud Light Lime in their hands. Then they moved towards the craft beer section and I hear them say: Oh, that's that Three Floyds I have heard so much about, I wonder how it tastes." I told them they should try some. Since they had Bud Light Lime in their hands I suggested starting with Gumballhead. The lady said something along the lines that everyone at her work was always talking about a beer called voodoo dust. You mean Zombie Dust I said, she said yes I thinks that's it, I really do not care for these beers they taste rather funky to me.
    This coming from a lady with a 6 pack of Bud Light Lime!!:astonished:

32. Retsinis

Retsinis Crusader (719) Sep 25, 2009 California

Most Common for me I'd say is, Sam Adams, or Sierra Nevada, followed by Arrogant Bastard, Anchor Steam, or maybe Chimay. Sometimes they surprise me though, and actually know of a small local craft beer or brewey, which is always exciting to hear.

What is some what of a personal reflection for me at times, is when I meet someone just getting into craft beer, and so many beers that are so easy to find for me, (that I actually pass on since they are so readily available) are ALL new to them, and they are sooooo excited to go and try them all, much like I did many years go. I still love craft beer, but a bit of that sort of what I would term "Groupie fan awe" isn't quite there anymore, but it's still great to see that in those new to craft beer.

Coronaeus and sharpski like this.
  33. 2thm8ker

2thm8ker Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2005 British Indian Ocean Territory

This thread makes me think we all suck at getting the word out!

34. Hop-Droppen-Roll

What's wrong with that? That sounds like a smart person comment.

35. halo3one

halo3one Crusader (788) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

Blue moon, sierra nevada...its sad

riverlen likes this.
  36. Beer-A-Lot

Beer-A-Lot Crusader (731) Oct 4, 2012 Virginia

Came here to say this.

37. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,128) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Crazy how beer that tastes better than the slop most people drink is called "fancy". Nope, not fancy, just tastes good.

38. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

Bass Ale
    Stella Artois
    Beck 's
    St. Pauli Girl

mconn13 and utopiajane like this.
  39. xShoWTeKx

xShoWTeKx Disciple (316) Jan 21, 2013 South Carolina

Shocktop.... It's always shocktop.

40. Hop-Droppen-Roll

It's all beer - this beer just isn't cheap and all over the TV... of course, the TV dictates to these people what is normal, what is fancy, what is weird...

sad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.