Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bimmers

Bimmers Initiate (164) Sep 6, 2014 Texas
    Trader

My wife and I will be flying into Portland Thursday (4/3) evening. We'll be staying downtown and hitting some of the recommended breweries that evening and Friday. Saturday we're driving to DeGarde and will be staying the night there.

I don't know if there are any bottleshares or anything going on before the event Saturday or after, but I just want to put some feelers out there. I was planning on bringing some bottles to crack open (Jester king fruited sours, 750s, some barrel aged stuff as well). Feel free to BM me if you'd like to discuss. The share would have to include my wife. She loves sours and other beer. Both of us are pretty chill and laid back and would like to meet some other people to enjoy some beers.

Cheers!

2. prsncop

prsncop Initiate (116) Dec 13, 2013 California

My wife and I are doing the same thing. We're flying in Wednesday and will be downtown Portland till Saturday. I think we're staying at shilo in Tillamook. A bottle share sounds good.

SeeingMeansMore and Bimmers like this.
  3. Bimmers

Trader

We'll be staying ath the Hotel Rose @prsncop

Keep in touch and lets meet up for drinks Thurs/Fri.

4. prsncop

Bimmers likes this.
  5. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

If you say the words "bottle share" around these parts, it'll happen. Beermongers, Tin Bucket, and the Commons are popular options for venues, but the event should definitely be cleared with the venue beforehand. Since 4/3 is in the past, should I assume you mean 5/3? If I'm free, I'd be happy to join in, and can provide some limited releases from Upright and the Commons.

CTJman likes this.
  6. Bimmers

Trader

I meant 4/30 (Thursday), but lost the zero. I'm mainly looking for a bottleshare of sorts after the DeGarde event. We're probably going to be hitting up the breweries around down town, so i'm not sure if it's wise to throw in a bottleshare during those days. I just figured that the deGarde event lasting until 6pm some people are coming in from out of town might be staying at one of the hotels and would like to meet up to pop some bottles. I'm just looking to meet 6-8 cool people that would like to try some jester king/Texas stuff. I plan on bringing 1-2 bottles for the open share at DeGarde.

7. CTJman

CTJman Champion (827) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

I have the same schedule as you @Bimmers . Except instead of a wife I have 3 delinquent (yet well behaved) friends flying in with. We will prob be wandering around Portland and then Saturday staying at the Mar Claire. We plan to bring some bottles to crack so if anyone has anything going on - feel free to send me a message. As for now we were just going to wing it (and hit some suggested spots). Also hoping to finally meet some great BA's to whom Ive had the pleasure speak with. Cheers all and cant wait for the party.

#7 CTJman, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Kurmaraja and Bimmers like this.
  8. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,057) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Driving down from Seattle for the anniversary party. Probably not partaking in a bottle share since we're just coming down for the day and need to be smart about things.

Bimmers likes this.
  9. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

I will be at the anniversary party as well.

10. distantmantra

Trader

Hope you guys like Greek food!

wiingman and TheeWalrusHunter like this.
  11. fannypack

fannypack Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2006 Florida

im flying in thursday with the girlfriend from south florida and plan on bringing some stuff along as well! probably doing pdx thursday and friday and staying in tillamook saturday night. im down for a shindig for sure. probably bringing mainly ccb stuff, but definitely some goodies from all around. should be a great weekend!

12. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (373) Jul 7, 2010 New York

this will be my first time at De Garde. flying in from NJ the night before. really excited!

I saw last year that limits were 1 per bottle -- I assume it will be the same, so is it looked down upon if I just walk up to the counter, ask for one bottle each of everything they have, throw it in my car, and come back in for all the tastings? I'll be in PDX throughout the full week so would love to drink De Garde non-stop and literally try everything they have, but having to drive back to PDX afterwards will limit the amount I'm able to consume on premises (good thing a bunch of stuff is only 4-6%!). I assume it won't be looked down upon since I just wanted to take one of each.

either way, looking forward to this experience with everyone involved!

#12 Mineo, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Shmeal likes this.
  13. Malefactor

Malefactor Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 Oregon

If it is structured like the last quarterly you can get the bottles whenever you are so inclined. They gave out a token that allowed you to buy up to a full allotment at any point throughout the event. The bottle sales were separate from all of the taps, separate from the line to get in etc so it is really convenient. I plan on doing the same thing I did last time (if it is run the same) and that is get in, get drinking, get bottle sharing and when I have had my fill hit the bottle area where there was no standing line and pick up my box on the way out the door. There is no need to prioritize getting the bottles because they don't sell anything but what is allotted, and the allotments coincide with the participants at the event so there is no danger of something selling out.

14. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (373) Jul 7, 2010 New York

Cool! Thanks for the info. Sounds like DeGarde has a great system down pat. Really looking forward to it.

15. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,459) Oct 25, 2003 China
    Moderator Society Trader

Really feel like you have to give de Garde a lot of credit for coming up with this system. I still remember the cluster picking up bottles the first time I went last year (hours long wait in line to pick up beer, and with no idea what might still be available by the time you got to the head of the line), but each time I've gone back since, the situation has markedly improved, with the latest system the best one yet.

Everything they do at de Garde tells me they're always thinking about their customer base, and what they can do to make for a more enjoyable and streamlined buying experience. From their unsually reasonable pricing structure, to the way they tweak and improve their release events, they're just an absolute class act.

Just wish some of their sours weren't so, ummm.... sour. :-)

16. distantmantra

Trader

When I was at de Garde the other week I was really impressed. They came through the line, took everyone's bottle orders and then drink orders. The bottles were all boxed up and ready to go when I went to pay.

I know the anniversary party will be on a much larger scale, but I can't imagine it being handled differently.

17. BobsLiquors

BobsLiquors Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2013 Washington

Regarding bottle shares, I think there is probably one going on at all the hotels... Ask around, and I'm sure you'll find people. At the last release, nobody knew probably 1/2 the people that ended up in our room, it was a great time. One of the hotels even has a common area where they allow shares.

CTJman likes this.
  18. poliwhirl

poliwhirl Initiate (75) Nov 29, 2014 California

ill be up there (4/29) and id love to partake in a share. Anyone have a day in mind? looks like everyone will be brewery hoping thursday, maybe something thursday night or friday?
    i got a pretty good selection of older de garde, or some modern times sour/ba stouts.

@CTJman it would be cool to meet ya man.

CTJman likes this.
  19. songfulchris

songfulchris Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 Oregon

Just fyi everyone... one of the popular hotels for the after party bottle share is not going to be as receptive to it this time around. our group is looking in to alternatives. Most likely a beach share.

ballardbeer likes this.
  20. Bimmers

Trader

Which was the popuplar hotel?

21. Stumptown

Stumptown Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

I'll be at the party as well and am loping to stay the night. I would love to be apart of the bottle share!

22. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,056) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I'd guess it was the Mar Clair. The last bottle share I went to there got LOUD and the non-beer-geek guests complained about the noise. Can't say I blame them.

distantmantra likes this.
  23. w_klon

w_klon Initiate (87) Aug 1, 2012 Oregon

Yup, been there twice where they kicked us out because of the noise. Had the two bedroom suite there the last party ad it fit a good number of people for an after party share (10-15 people or so)

24. Stumptown

Stumptown Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Cant we bring bottles to the party like the last party they had their?

25. Bimmers

Trader

They said you can bring 1 to 2 bottles.

26. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (74) May 3, 2013 Oregon

We'll have the final details posted in the next week, but expect a scenario pretty much the same as the last party.
    Some awesome new guest pours, an extra pour station, etc.
    Looking like a full mixed case of bottles allocation per person. Again, final details soon...
    Should be the best one yet.
    Reservations are also nearly gone...

27. distantmantra

Trader

Good to know that public tickets were still available. Grabbed one for my dad. He'll find something to do while he waits the hour to get in.

jpbebeau likes this.
  28. prsncop

de Garde posted an update....

And with just a few reservations left, here are the final details and the final bottle list with pricing and limits for our anniversary event;

Times:
    Keepers Members: 2-6pm
    Public: 3-6pm

There are no minors and no pets ever allowed on any part of our premises. A valid government issued photo ID is required for entry.

There is no smoking anywhere on our premises. You may exit (with empty glass) either from our patio or one of the other doors and partake in non-public areas. There are ash trays; please use them.

We will have catered Greek food available for purchase, or there are a number of options for before and after the event.

Please respect the laws: We are legally required to report driving under the influence. Plan ahead. There are two taxi options.

We are legally required to suspend service to anyone visibly intoxicated.

Bottle sharing is allowed with these details: All beer MUST legally be opened by a staff member. We will have one dedicated to the bottle share table. All bottles MUST remain at the bottle share table. We impose a limit of one to two bottles per person, and will not allow coolers or bags inside. There will be an ice bin available at the table, and you may exit and reenter to grab your bottles from a personal cooler. Anyone not following these rules will be asked to leave.

Bottle allocations are available throughout the event, and are guaranteed. You may purchase at any point by exchanging the token provided at entry (and cash).

All sales are CASH ONLY to expedite any wait.
    There will be extra drink tickets available for sale during the party.
    There is NOT an ATM on site or within walking distance.

There will be multiple draft and bottle pour stations. Please understand that some beers may be higher demand, and may entail a wait for that particular beer once tapped/opened, and may not be of sufficient quantity for every attendee.
    However, there will be A LOT of great beer, and there should be no need to wait in any line.

Lastly, this is a working brewery. We ask that you not touch full barrels on racks, tanks or any other equipment. It's a fun environment, but we will have to ask anyone failing to follow this request to leave.

Now that we've covered the details, the tentative bottles:

The Anniversary:
    A blend of three years of golden wild ale aged in oak barrels. $14/btl, limit 1

Special Rouge:
    A wild red ale aged in oak barrels with Montmorency cherries and raspberries. $13/btl, limit 2

Imperial Stone Bu:
    A Berliner Weisse inspired ale, aged in oak barrels with peaches and apricots. $10/btl, limit 1

Imperial Cherry Bu:
    A Berliner Weisse inspired ale, aged in oak barrels with cherries. $10/btl, limit 1

Petit Lee:
    A sour red ale, aged in oak bourbon and wine barrels. $13/btl, limit 1

Petit Azacca:
    A wild farmhouse ale aged in oak wine barrels and dry hopped. $10/btl, limit 2

Amarillo Hose:
    A Gose style ale, aged in oak barrels and dry hopped. $9/btl, limit 1

Citra Hose:
    A Gose style ale, aged in oak barrels and dry hopped. $9/btl, limit 1

Petit Amarillo:
    A wild farmhouse ale, aged in oak wine barrels and dry hopped. $10/btl, limit 1

Nectarine Premiere:
    A wild farmhouse ale aged in oak wine barrels with nectarines. $14/btl, limit 1

Total for full allocation: $135

Remaining bottles will be available during our normal tasting room hours on Sunday with the same limits applied.

We look forward to seeing everyone next Saturday!
    Cheers!

CTJman likes this.
  29. poliwhirl

poliwhirl Initiate (75) Nov 29, 2014 California

I'm wondering what's the difference on this petite azacca compared to the one they released a couple months ago.

30. anteater

anteater Champion (815) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

My guess would be nothing, batch 1 was delicious.

ballardbeer and deGardebrewing like this.
  31. distantmantra

Trader

Keeper bottles are off the hook, too.

ballardbeer likes this.
  32. deGardebrewing

Same thing. Different batch.
    And I'll agree with the post below yours; we love this beer.
    Hope you agree.

33. itsThatBoyE

itsThatBoyE Aspirant (276) Feb 10, 2015 Washington
    Trader

This will his will be our first visit, can't wait! Dumb question, any chance of a non-Keeper buying a Keepers bottle while we're there?

34. distantmantra

Trader

Can I bring a growler to the bottle share? Was thinking some Holy Mountain Kiln & Cone for the non-WA contingent.

35. anteater

anteater Champion (815) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

No, you're best bet would be trying to set up an IP trade with a keeper. Keepers beers have been on tap at past events too though so you might be able to try some there.

itsThatBoyE likes this.
  36. kscaldef

kscaldef Meyvn (1,189) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

In addition to them being available on draft, some keepers bottles have been available for on-site consumption, although I don't imagine they'll be doing any of that during the party.

37. kscaldef

kscaldef Meyvn (1,189) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

It's definitely been done before.

38. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,056) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

A growler of hoppy brew was something of a godsend at the first Anniversary party. I have no doubt it will be equally welcome at Saturday's event.

39. TaborTime

TaborTime Disciple (340) Dec 10, 2013 Oregon

I'll try to oblige as well.

40. deGardebrewing

We'll have a great selection of hoppy beers and other excellent non-wild guest offerings for the event as well.

We can allow appropriately labeled growlers for the share, we just request that given the size it be the only contribution 'you' bring.

We all want a fun share, but some folks do look at it as an all you can drink buffet, and we need to impose some restraints to try and stay within the law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.