Portland/DeGarde 2nd anniversary

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Bimmers, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (74) May 3, 2013 Oregon

We didn't have Upright at the event. You're correct on the Rare Barrel, Fremont and Perennial though!
    Some other additions though:
    SARA Cellerman
    Ft George Kentucky Girl and BBA Cavatica
    Imperial Purple Raz Bu
    Hill Farmstead Anna
    Oakshire Free Your Soul BBA
    Oakshire Hermanne (2013)
    Fremont Bourbon Abominable
    Fremont Interurban
    Bu Weisse
    Petit Desay
    Petit Azacca
    Petit Amarillo
    Block 15 Alpha

Pretty sure I'm missing some more in there too...

Thanks to everyone who came out! Great time, and we'll as always be working to make the next release party even better!

#81 deGardebrewing, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,063) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Then I have no idea what that was that my Dad brought back. Huh. :grimacing:

deGardebrewing likes this.
  3. deGardebrewing

Haha!
    It does look like multiple bottles were opened for sharing, just not by us. Failing to invite Upright is a serious oversight on our part though!

digita7693 and Kurmaraja like this.
  4. distantmantra

Trader

We avoided the share table like the plague, I'll have to ask him where he got whatever that beer was. :astonished:

5. distantmantra

Trader

Speaking of the share table, did they get through all the bottles? When we were leaving around 5:30 there were still tons of unopened bottles in the tubs below.

6. deGardebrewing

Hard to say. It starts emptying in the hour before closing, so im sure some folks carried some of theirs back out. Still looks like a couple/few hundred bottles opened.

7. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

I brought a batch 2 (2011 I think) Late Harvest, and it was the first thing open on the sharing table, so it's possible your dad grabbed some before the sharing area became too crazy.

8. distantmantra

Trader

He didn't get in until 3pm and we drank this around 5pm. It might have been Late Harvest, it might have been something else. He was throwing words out at us as we tried to figure out what it was.

9. HaveUSeenMyCellar

HaveUSeenMyCellar Zealot (549) Aug 30, 2012 California

BOOM!!!
    Thanks for putting that together. :-)

10. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,516) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

Gotta say, these events are working so smoothly now.

- Love the incorporation of local businesses
    - Seems like obvious consideration was given to the taps to make sure there were some hops / stouts to break things up.

I'm a critical ass and I actually can't think of anything negative - eh, I mean, constructive - to say.

Beaucoup Violet and Oude Rruin are among the best beers De Garde has made, IMHO.

11. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Initiate (182) Dec 7, 2010 Oregon
    Trader

Would like to echo what others have said. Fantastic event and many thanks to Trevor, Linsey and their crew for all the hard work. It takes a lot of planning and hard work to make an event run this smoothly.

de Garde parties are getting better each time. It is amazing to see what happens when a brewery actually cares about the customer experience -- in addition to making fantastic beer! Pre-sorting the allotments eliminates the incentive / desire to line up at 3:00 AM. It is so civilized! Who needs to wait in line 10 hours for beer?

Kudos guys - please keep up the great work!

12. CTJman

CTJman Champion (827) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

I had a blast at the event. I got to meet a lot of cool peeps, drink a ton of great beer, and couldnt have asked for better weather. Everything was perfect (except for the lack of wifi but i was able to deal without) and the whole dG crew put on a great show. I cant wait to fly out again. The after party at the Mar Clair was a great time too. Plus the local Llama's in Tillamook liked to pose for pictures.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  13. guajolote

guajolote Aspirant (293) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Yeah, Beaucoup Violet is amazing. Unfortunately missed Oude Rruin. Hopefully one of my Keeper friends will share...

This. Not to mention the fact that Trevor & Lindsey were back at it working the bottle sale line Sunday morning.

I think we were behind you guys in line Sunday morning. I was with the two dudes from Oregon Fish & Wildlife. Glad you found some llamas!

CTJman likes this.
  14. CTJman

Trader

YES - that was us! Good meeting you guys. We never made it to Astoria though - was the only sad moment in the entire trip.

15. Kurmaraja

Trader

Just gotta come back ... there's astoria (Fort George is solid and Buoy is coming on strong), Hood River, and Bend (of course). Probably more llamas, even alpacas.

sharpski and CTJman like this.
  16. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Zealot (508) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Great list of stuff that was on tap. I must have missed plenty of stuff or that the lines were too big and I just didn't want to deal with it. Lots of cool stuff being opened via bottle, but again the lines were crazy. The new beers that were released were really good. Maybe it's me, but it seems that there were more people this time? The lines to get pours or bottles seemed to never end. The bottle share table was a cluster to get too which I think could be fixed if another table was used, IDK.

I did love having food at the event, that was a really nice change. I think this was the first year that I left with tickets, and at 3 dollars a pop I was a bit upset over that. Even though much has changed since last years party and the quarter parties, I still think I liked it better then. Especially since I didn't have to make mulitple trips just to get a few bottles to cellar. The whole point that I thought of the low limits and tokens was to get rid of lines, but I have yet to see that being done. Perhaps tweaking the limits to a set number of people in line the day of the event or open them up at the end like before? From what I have seen there is no way to limit lines, so why not go back to how things were handled last year?

It was still a good party, and I love hanging out with folks who aren't around town and come up/down for these events. I loved seeing Trevor and Linsay at the "after" party, and again about the after party. Everyone rocks, I mean seriously some great beer was opened.

17. dphi

dphi Initiate (111) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

I don't know man, at last year's anniversary party I waited in the bottle line for over an hour instead of drinking awesome beer and still missed out on the lower bottle count stuff. This year I picked up my full allotment on the way out with no line waiting at all. Even the draft lines were fine but I usually just went to the taps with the shortest lines (or no line as was often the case) and didn't feel like I missed out on much.

18. anteater

anteater Champion (815) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Trader

We went from a 2 hr bottle line to a 0 hr bottle line in the past year, not to mention I got to try nearly everything before deciding what to buy without stressing about anything running out. I don't think I waited more than 5 minutes for any taps or bottles the entire time. I don't see things were better in any way with the old system.

19. TapThat

TapThat Initiate (115) Nov 8, 2012 Oregon

We must've been at a different party. Myself and the group I was with were easily able to grab pours of everything we wanted to try, and even go back for a second pour on stuff we really enjoyed. I was able to grab my bottle allotment almost instantly, at a time of my choosing instead of waiting in line for an hour just to buy bottles before enjoying the actual party.

I would say that the last two events with the bottle tokens and pre-sorted bottle allotments have been two of my favorite beer events I've attended period. I don't really see why anyone would want it to go back to the old way of running the events.

20. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

Well everyone has their opinion.

21. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

I figured it would be an unpopular opinion, though many people I talked too at the event thought the same. Guessing from the already two responses on here I guess I'm way off.

22. Malefactor

Malefactor Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 Oregon

Now I just need to get me one of those keepers glasses so I can get those keeper pours.

CTJman likes this.
  23. Bimmers

Bimmers Initiate (165) Sep 6, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Which other bottle was a keepers bottle besides the Nectarine?

24. dphi

dphi Initiate (111) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

If you're just talking about the Bus, it was Marion.

25. Bimmers

Trader

So the only keepers bottle in the regular allotment was just the Nectarine?

26. distantmantra

Trader

There was a Nectarine Premiere in the allotment box. Imperial Nectarine Bu was a Keeper beer. Totally different.

Bimmers likes this.
  27. Bimmers

Trader

Thanks. That's what I was trying to figure out.

28. Kurmaraja

Trader

Keepers beers are NEVER in the regular allotment. That's the point of the Keepers. ;-)

The Keepers wilds were Beaucoup Violet and Oude Rruin; the Keepers berliners were Imperial Nectarine and Imperial Marionberry.

People will keep going crazy bout that Bu but, man, Petit Lee / Special Rouge / Beaucoup Violet / Oude Rruin blew my skull. If genocidal aliens were invading I'd be like "hey, share this bottle of Beaucoup Violet with me" and then they'd be all "thanhhksss" (they'd have a speach impediment due to their insectoid proboscis) and intergalactic peace among our species would just happen.

29. distantmantra

Trader

Beaucoup Violet > everything.

Come at me. Or don't. You'll lose.

fsck, oregonskibum and sharpski like this.
  30. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Zealot (501) Mar 14, 2009 Oregon

Have you done Biere Violet vs Beaucoup Violet yet? Curious how these compare.

fsck likes this.
  31. Kurmaraja

Trader

Tasted them in close enough proximity to say that both are phenomenal but they're also different enough that I don't resent De Garde throwing them into subsequent releases. The tasting notes from De Garde on Beaucoup are accurate.

I look forward to more Beaucoups - Beaucoup Desay and Beaucoup Violet were both spaceships and volcanos IMHO.

Shaimless and vurt like this.
  32. EB1

EB1 Zealot (510) Aug 18, 2013 California
    Trader

Damn man. You were at the party? Wish I would have known. I swung up there, Great times.

And yes Beaucoup Violet was awesome. Purple Raz might have been my tops though.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  33. CTJman

Trader

i dont know where you just went with this - but sounds about right

Kurmaraja likes this.
  34. deGardebrewing

Thank you for the compliments and the critique.
    I'm very thankful that the vast majority of people enjoyed themselves. To address your concerns:

Draft lines: We can't control these. They get shorter each time (you'll have to trust me, I time them). We add more pouring stations, taps, bottles and people pouring each time to continue cutting waits down. What we can't control is a large group forming when something exciting gets tapped at one station. Fortunately, there USUALLY is enough to go around to those interested, or there will be more kegs of it tapped at different stations. The simple fact is that, just at every other beer venue or event, in demand beer is, well, in demand. My advice is and always has been to go to the other stations at such times whe there is quite literally no line, and usually equally as good or better beer. It strangely does seem that people like lines which can be witnessed by the number of people jumping into a growing one without knowing what they are waiting for, feeding the problem.

Extra tickets: I dunno man. Maybe only buy as many as you'll need? There's a known end time for the event. We only sell three at the start so that people can gauge how many they may need beyond that... And there were two stations selling extra tickets, both of which rarely had anyone waiting there. I think the tickets for beer thing is pretty standard at events.

Not getting as many bottles as you wanted: I have a less than 'PC' response here, but it's likely better to just say that we are not changing this format. We set the limits such that everyone gets bottles with no necessary wait. We can not go higher and ensure that, witnessed by the mere six extra bottles of The Anniversary and one of the Imperial Bu's after the event. Quite frankly, we have far bigger concerns than the couple folks who are upset that they can't wait longer for more, and our limits at these events have ALWAYS been one or two bottles per. I'm really not sure of where the complaints come from. Do other breweries have patrons complaining that they won't sell them more every release?
    Don't want to wait in a line to get bottles? Go back during the 90% of the event when nobody is in line. Which is pretty relevant to any line at the party.

Bottle share table: We offer this because some people want it. We pay people to work at the table because we care about our guests, even though it is a straight loss of money in both draft sales and said pay. No, we will not be paying more people to work at that area or expanding it. Folks can share bottles any other day, and it is not the focus of our releases for all but a very few folks that crowd the table for the majority of the event, leading to, as you described, the 'cluster.'
    Too busy? Go try one of the great drafts and bottles pouring from the the eight people working hard to get beer in your hands.
    I will agree that the majority of the people at the after party share seemed less fervent in their desires. Pretty well behaved, and very enjoyable!

Thanks again to all who attended. We enjoyed it more than ever, and if it's any consolation for those disappointed, it will be even better next time.
    Cheers!

35. darkfallberg

darkfallberg Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2015 Colorado

Oude Rruin > Petit Lee > Citra Hose > Purple Raz > Beaucoup Violet > Marionberry >Nectarine (bu) > Cherry

The Anniversary is mind blowing though, l would've thrown all my money at bottles of that and Petit Lee if I'd had my way.

36. distantmantra

Trader

I thought the lines moved extremely quick and I agree with your points concerning bottle sales (I love the fact that there is enough for everyone in attendance) and the share table.

I'd honestly be cool with getting rid of the share table and seeing another draft table next time.

deGardebrewing likes this.
  37. Kurmaraja

Trader

I may have been drinking while posting ...

CTJman likes this.
  38. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,473) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I didn't go to this event (just too much going on already that weekend for me to add this to the list), but what phobicsquirrel stated in his post is/was consistent with my experience at previous events. That being said, of course Trevor's response is dead on. Ideally, it would be great if there were double or triple the number of pouring stations, but I understand that's not realistic (despite the expanded space, there obviously just isn't enough room for very many more stations). So of course there are going to be long lines sometimes, as there is a lot of great beer to try (some of which I figure I'll never be able to try again), and everyone wants to try them all. I honestly see no realistic way around the problem, and my take is that Trevoer and his crew do the best they can. If you attend a dG event, I think you simply have to accept the fact that occasional long lines will likely be part of the experience.

As for the comment about "the number of people jumping into a growing one without knowing what they are waiting for," I assume that was made tongue in cheek. Folks jump in line because they rightly assume that whatever has just been tapped is undoubtedly outstanding, and that everyone else wouldn't be jumping in line if that wasn't the case. Frankly, no matter what new beer has just been tapped, I think it's a pretty safe assumption that it's likely to be something pretty good. :slight_smile:

+1 to the comment about the bottle share. The fact they even allow an onsite bottle share strikes me as a bonus, and so not something I'm ever going to complain about. It's a nice gesture on there part to allow it, and frankly... if it were me, my solution would be to kill it if I kept on hearing complaints about the way it was run.

#118 John_M, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  39. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

Thanks for the detailed response.

40. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

I'm thinking the same thing really. I mean it seems to me that if that was the case more people would be trying guest taps. I dunno, maybe try it out. There is already a massive share at the after party, and we are going there for the de garde releases and guest taps.

Kurmaraja likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.