Portland/DeGarde 2nd anniversary

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Bimmers, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deGardebrewing

deGardebrewing Initiate (74) May 3, 2013 Oregon

There's a distinct possibility we will get rid of the share table as it is a consistent source of frustration for a vocal minority. We WILL have even more pour stations at the next event either way though.
    Quite frankly, as we continue to offer more beer each release on tap and in bottle, I'm failing to see the necessity of a bottle share table. If 30+ options isn't enough, it might be time to evaluate priorities and drinking habits.

2. Shmeal

Shmeal Disciple (355) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon

Beer geeks are so entitled....

You don't have forums where people complain about long lines for brunch do you? Yet we seem to be more than happy to wait for more than an hour to get slightly overhyped chicken and waffles.

Grrr.

3. CTJman

CTJman Champion (827) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

a lot of this!

4. deGardebrewing

Its worth noting that the longest line for a pour was 5 minutes. At that time, every other pour station had no more than three people waiting. If someone walked from line to line, thats unfortunate, but the simple fact is that waiting was largely optional. The bottle pour table had one four minute line, and for the rest of the event was largely a 'walk up and get a pour' scenario, just like most tap stations at any given point.

swolepeer and distantmantra like this.
  5. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,056) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

The only times I ever had to wait were for Imperial Stone Bu and Arthur, and the wait time was so negligible. Plus I talked to friends in line and had fun.

deGardebrewing likes this.
  6. Shmeal

I couldn't even taste Arthur after the fruit bomb assault that I had been subjected to for several hours prior.

Fizzy water?

beertunes and deGardebrewing like this.
  7. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Zealot (508) Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

hmm, maybe more water or some food may help?

8. distantmantra

Trader

Hehe, Arthur and Saison Bernice didn't taste like much to me either! I had a full glass of water in between beers.

And seriously, I've waited longer for Black Raven beers at the WA Brewers festival than I did for anything this past Saturday. I'm seriously impressed with how well things were run.

beertunes likes this.
  9. w_klon

w_klon Initiate (87) Aug 1, 2012 Oregon

Wait...you waited in line, outside, for hours to get in...and a 5 minute wait to get a beer is what you're complaining about? :astonished:

Same here with the Imp Stone Bu line @distantmantra . The longest wait I had was to get that pour. MAYBE... 5 minutes. Definitely worth it.

The longest line I saw was in the middle room with all the barrels (where @nattomoto was pouring) and at that point, the bottle pour station and the other station in the same room had zero line.

swolepeer and beertunes like this.
  10. Shmeal

Not even a gallon of water and the 2 banh mi sandwiches I ate could have saved me.

And I was sober.

beertunes and Phobicsquirrel like this.
  11. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

..Yeah I get it, I'm the noob that talked about long lines. I was just saying that it seemed to me they were shorter in the past, and if there were more people this time. geeze.

w_klon likes this.
  12. deGardebrewing

And the funny part is, we still had Imperial Stone Bu left after the line cleared (from each station it poured at), and we stopped pouring Arthur for awhile because eventually nobody would walk up for a pour...
    And that's why I'm saying, if someone's impression from this party was of long lines, it's because they chose to walk to the one station at any given time that actually had one of any actual significance.

I mean, I get it. Nobody likes to wait. We always try to make it better, but when better in this case is a shorter wait than any festival I've ever been to, and shorter than most bars (excepting again the one big line at any given time), we have little room on that account for improvement. Paying fifty people to run fifty tap stations would only be a nominal improvement, and would have to be balanced by a huge increase in cost (because we pay the people helping us very well, and don't believe in 'volunteers'). And since there would still be that one long line for a beer we only have one keg of...
    But again, we are adding more anyhow.

13. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,455) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Some of us don't have any friends. :-)

The previous event I went to, I think the longest wait was between 5 and 10 minutes (I had nothing better to do, so I timed it). That's not long at all, but you know how it is... if you're standing there in line, with nothing better to do but wait for the line to move, then 5 or 10 minutes can "seem" like a long time. Also, some of us are impatient, and want instant gratification, all the time. :-)

All kidding aside, I think there is very little to complain about, as these events are extremely well run.

beertunes likes this.
  14. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2012 Oregon

the insane greed of a few people in the bottle share area put me in the camp that would like to see it go away for good.

Kurmaraja, TaborTime, Shmeal and 3 others like this.
  15. distantmantra

Trader

Are there other brewery events in the PNW that even have bottle shares? It seems like such a foreign concept to me.

beertunes likes this.
  16. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

Not a lot really. Now other parts of the country yes. Seems to be a big thing.

17. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,516) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

I was there all day, had every de garde beer that was put on tap and I never waited in line more than 3 minutes. And with so many regulars at the event, standing in line was basically just socializing. The "long line" thing doesn't really jive with my experience at the last two De Garde parties. I wait longer for a beer at a busy bar on Friday / Saturday or at Fremont on a sunny weekend than I did at these events.

Of course, this is coming from someone that spent last weekend and Dark Lord Day - DLD aka "Drenched Line Day." 2.5 hour line for Dark Lord bottles?

I may be an outlier - or at least there is a very vocal goup that would object - but I think killing the bottle share at the event would be a great idea. Turn that into another pour station and let people bottle share on their own time.

18. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

Huh, well damn. I didn't even know stone tapped, then some folks offered some sips as they said it blew. So I may have been too tired to wonder around or something. Everything could be in my head and I was still tired from a road trip. So yeah, I'm going with being too tired from a 5 thousand plus road trip so therefore I may have been seeing things :astonished:

beertunes likes this.
  19. w_klon

w_klon Initiate (87) Aug 1, 2012 Oregon

Just flipping you shit :grinning:
    Shout out to Brad working that share table though. He regulated on some dude that was just hovering on that table and tried to have him open somebody else's bottle. But there is no possible way to handle all the guys that do the same thing

Kurmaraja and deGardebrewing like this.
  20. distantmantra

Trader

I know it's big in other parts of the country, but not out here. If I'm going to an event, I want the beer at the event. [shrug]

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  21. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

really 2.5 hrs? wow, I waited I think for like 15 minutes, though I wish it was longer as there was massive good beers being shared. I had to run at times!!!

22. CTJman

Trader

the longest line i had to wait in was the Potty line (the wait seemed amplified after having 50 ounces of bu's). Purple Raz - maybe 5 minutes but I had the pleasure to chat with @Kurmaraja the whole time - what a swell guy!

derkruk, beertunes and Phobicsquirrel like this.
  23. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

lol... Yeah the share table was run well this time. I just think it's a bit overkill considering it's like fighting for life and limb to get to it.

beertunes likes this.
  24. vurt

vurt Meyvn (1,054) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I must be an outlier too, because I agree with every syllable in your post.

Mineo, miggs3030 and beertunes like this.
  25. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

there seems to be general bottle shares that get organized a lot. I enjoy them and think they can work at an event, but not a lot of places do them here. De garde is really the only place that I know of that allows them at the parties. And I don't even think it started out that way, at first people just brought stuff and walked around with bottles.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  26. Kurmaraja

Trader

You were group A? Later groups got back logged.

27. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (313) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

The only other local release/event I can think of that allowed bottle shares were HoTD releases at the old warehouse location.

28. distantmantra

Trader

I can't think of a brewery sponsored event in WA that's ever had a bottle share. Most places specifically ask you not to bring outside bottles.

beertunes likes this.
  29. deGardebrewing

Sorry about that! We are adding more porta-potties for future releases, and we are building another interior full restroom as well. We definitely saw that issue arise, and will spend and do what we can to alleviate it in the future.

swolepeer, Mineo, Spaceloaf and 2 others like this.
  30. CTJman

Trader

it was actually fine (just saying the beer lines were never a problem) - i literally wait longer at a Starbucks and once i found the 2 porto's hiding far off by the cars it was a win all around!

swolepeer and deGardebrewing like this.
  31. maltmaster420

32. Kurmaraja

Trader

That's cuz I always do a pancake share in line.

33. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

beertunes likes this.
  34. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,307) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Yeah, there's just so many variables. Honestly though, I've never seen the thing of bringing beer into a bar (and honestly, that's what brewery tasting rooms are, bars) and expecting that it's OK to open them.

distantmantra likes this.
  35. kscaldef

kscaldef Meyvn (1,189) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

That's not going to help. Most of the time the lines were very short. They got long when something new and exciting got tapped, then died back down. More stations won't prevent that effect.

Yup, Imperial Stone Bu was the only time I waited more than about 15 seconds for a pour, and that line moved impressively quickly.

for real.

I think it's okay at bottleshops, in the situation where you buy a lot of stuff from them, including beers that you traded for the beers that you're bringing in to open. I agree, other than that type of situation it's a bit peculiar that anyone allows it.

beertunes, deGardebrewing and CTJman like this.
  36. Phobicsquirrel

Trader

There are several places in Portland that will let people do this. Some charge a capping fee others don't.

37. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Initiate (138) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I know I'm in the minority here but having bottle shares at events such as these just blow my mind. I read about the greed all too often and plus, the quality of the beers de garde puts out would be enough for me to want to drink nothing else than what is offered at the event.

distantmantra likes this.
  38. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2008 Oregon

Frankly, I think most beer events have become bigger and bigger shit-shows as the market for craft beer continues to increase. I can think of several that I have less and less interest in attending every year.

Trevor and Linsey should be applauded for actually improving their events, especially as the popularity of De Garde has continued to sky-rocket. I've never had a bad time at a De Garde event and so far I've only seen them improve in quality.

swolepeer, beertunes, Shmeal and 2 others like this.
  39. maltmaster420

I've been to most of the "big events" at dG. Both anniversary parties, 3 of the Y1 keepers parties, blah blah blah. After each of the first few parties I walked out thinking, "That was freaking great, but they need more pouring stations" or "That was fucking awesome. If only they filled boxes with the full allocation in advance in order to save everyone some time" or "If only they had more bathrooms..."

Last Saturday, I walked out of there and couldn't really think of a single thing they could realistically improve. They already have pretty much the whole building, so they can't expand without getting an event permit and putting up tents outside. They figured out a solution to the bottle line by giving everyone a wooden nickel and pre-filling cases with full allotments (props for making them exactly 12 bottles!), and they've add more pouring stations every time. Oh, and there were plenty of bathrooms, especially if you were lucky enough to notice the porta-johns across the parking lot. :wink:

As for the limits, I've been mostly out of the trading game for years so I don't really give a shit. From where I sit, I'd prefer to go to a release and get a 12 bottle case with 10 different bottles I can enjoy rather than to get a 12 bottle case with 6 bottles each of 2 different beers that I plan to trade. Or for that matter, driving to someplace like Jester King where you get 1 bottle allocations of 3 different beers and have to wait in line hoping there's some left when you get to the front, knowing that your pre-trades are going to be screwed if you and your grandmule don't get full allocations.

Knowing that the token guaranteed me a full allotment was clutch. I spend the first 3+ hours just socializing and drinking, and didn't even bother getting in the "bottle line" until after 5pm. When I did, it took 2 minutes to get to the front, I gave them $135, and I walked out to my car with a case of stupidly good beer.

Are there things they could do to "improve" the situation? Sure, but if you run a cost/benefit analysis on adding more pouring stations or getting an event permit to pour outside is it really worth it? We're getting world class wild ales for $8-15 per 750ml bottle. Can we please not ask for unnecessary stuff that causes them to raise prices?

40. kscaldef

kscaldef Meyvn (1,189) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

You mean the bushes by the train tracks?

swolepeer, TapThat and oregonskibum like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.